• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear Effect: Sedna |KS| Isometric, Real-time Tactical 'Revival', €100k goal

Lime

They reduced the early bird from 2k users to 1100. Guess I won't be backing this one if they're going to be doing stuff like this.

That doesn't make sense to do. Maybe they thought of it as a temporal thing and not a quantity thing?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sushee/fear-effect-sedna/posts/1550659

Improved rewards!

Hi everyone,

We hope your weekend was as good as ours. We're now full of energy and ready to bring this Kickstarter campaign to a higher level!

Today we have great news. After reading your feedbacks and discussing with some of you on this page, but also on Facebook and Twitter, we decided to make a huge improvement of our reward system. All the rewards tiers level up today!

What is changing?

For every tier from - COSTUME PACK - and up, we will add an awesome papercraft template to the package, it will allow you to have your own 3D Hana on your desk!

Also, we add to this tier a unique digital signed artwork. Every tier above this one will get a specific artwork. We’re sure you’ll like it, and backing will be the only way to get this exclusive artworks, one different for each tier.

We add a new tier: €45 ($51, £36) for an extended edition including a copy of the game, either the digital OST or the digital Artbook, the costume pack, the papercraft pattern and the exclusive digital artwork.

We will add your name in the credits, starting from the - DIGITAL COLLECTOR EDITION - and all backers starting at - DESIGN A GUARD - tier will be credited as “Executive Backers” with their name in bigger font.

And the big news: we don’t want to keep you waiting, so we decided to build a special early demo. It will includes fights, exploration and puzzles gameplay. The demo will be available in October, only on PC. You will be the very first ones to test it, and we will show it to some conventions, too. We can’t wait to show you the game and to get your feedbacks!

You can see a more precise description of each tier in the “Rewards” section of the Kickstarter page.

As a clarification, if we reach the consoles goal, every backer will have the choice between the PC, the PS4 or the Xbox One version of the game, the choice will be up to you!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Comments from Sushee on the KS page:

Hey, @Ullus, thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate.
I understand what you say, it seems like many backers want to play the game on PS4, and that's something we're thinking about, but porting a game to PS4 is a lot of work and our top-priority is to make the best game possible, for you and all who trusted us, at Square Enix and among former-Kronos members. We honestly thought that having more content was a priority for most of the backers, but if it's not the case, that's something we might reconsider soon.

Sushee 5 minutes ago

@Jonny Hurtig as you certainly know, FE3 has been canceled. Sedna will take place after FE3, the only thing you have to know in order to play, is that Hana is now freed from the Triad.

Sushee 5 minutes ago

@Jonny Hurtig we work with John Zuur Platten, writer of the first episode, and creator of Hana, so I think you can expect some serious revelations :)
@Donnie Yen you're right, your point about adding platforms on banner is interesting, we'll think about it!

Lain

There were a couple updates and I feel the ones that answers a bit about gameplay was interesting and deserves to be brought up:

Day 7: Precisions about the gameplay
So, what will it look like?

As many of you asked us for more precisions about the gameplay, we decided to answer the most frequently asked questions.

Is it a turn-based tactical game or is the action in real time?

The action will be in real time, though you will be able to pause - or rather “slow down a lot” - the game to decide which actions will be done in the next seconds. Movements, attacks and skills can be piled up so that you can build chain reactions and anticipate the enemy’s reactions.

Why the choice for real-time versus turn-based?

We thought that real time suited Fear Effect better. With that active slow-motion system (we don’t have a name for it yet), we believe we will be able to create a tense and nerve-racking mood, much more than with a turn-based gameplay where you have all the time you want to plan on your next attack.

Will there be a fog of war, and if yes, how will it look like?

There will be a kind of fog of war, but it will be related to the characters field of view. In other terms, you will only see what Hana, Rain, Glas, Deke and Axel are able to see themselves. Enemies will thus be able to hide behind objects, wall or silently crawl behind them if you don’t look back sometimes!

Will there be a tree of skills for the characters as in a classic RPG?

Every character will have a specific set of skills, depending on her or his personality. Some of Rain’s passive skills will rely on her ability to disguise, for example, whereas Deke’s abilities will reflect a more… brutal approach. We chose to set the skills for each character, so that they really reflect the way they behaved in the previous episodes.

How deep will the strategies go?

It is hard to say at the time. One thing we’re sure about, is that we don’t want players to be able to run all the time and shoot at everything to finish the game. Two gameplay mechanics will be specific to fear Effect: Sedna:

We will implement combined skills: each couple of characters will have their special combined ability, and you will only be able to trigger them when they are next to each other.
The stress gauge will have a crucial importance, as your skills set at a given point depends on the character’s stress level. The higher it is, the more brutal the skills will be… but a full gauge will have a negative impact on the character’s health and behavior.

Will there still be puzzles?

We are fond of puzzles, as some of you may have seen with our previous game, Goetia. They are a very important part of what makes Fear Effect special, so there definitely will be puzzles in Fear Effect: Sedna! Some of them might even end in blood if you hesitate too much…

We hope this will shed some light on the game we are creating. If you have other questions about the gameplay, you can ask in the comments below! You can find this Q&A and more, in the FAQ section of the campaign page, along with some questions regarding the story.

They added a bit of an explanation about the demo too:

We had some feedbacks that our yesterday’s update was not clear about the early demo, and it seems like many of you are waiting for it, here are our explanations: the demo will cover at least 1h of gameplay, including all that makes FE Sedna a Fear Effect: cutscenes, puzzles, exploration, fights and (if you’re not good enough) death scenes.

The demo will run on PC only and will be available in October. Everyone who chose the €60 tier, and every single one above, will have access to this demo. We will also show it in several conventions, in Europe and US. I hope (and I read) that you are as excited as we are about this first milestone, and we can’t wait to have your feedbacks.

Oh, and, we’re more than 1500 and just overtook 50% now! Thanks a lot to all the newcomers!

While I'm at it... in the latest update they showed some comparison between the old characters and their look for Sedna. I feel like the new art captures the old look and style pretty well:
AbOb.gif

BbOb.gif

9bOb.gif

CbOb.gif

There was also an interview made by Operation Rainfall:
http://operationrainfall.com/2016/04/18/sushee-games-interview/

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seems to the effort has ground to the predictable almost halt, looks good for funding goal but nothing beyond that.

cj_iwakura

He's sharing some great insight, but I particularly like this:
Sushee is going in a new direction, but one that I think stays true to the original. While I can't give away all of the ideas, I think you will see the game more tonally in line with FE1 than FE2 or Inferno. While that part of the franchise exists, my feeling is that core roots of the property are where you will find Fear Effect: Sedna. Which means that things like the relationships between the heroes, what has happened to them in the intervening years, how have Hana and Rain evolved, will all come into play. We'd like to make sure there is enough for the fans to enjoy, but also bring in a whole new generation of players.

If there's clearly no hope of it hitting the console goal on the final day, I'll withdraw my funds. This is barely a Fear Effect game as is, even with the writers, let alone without any of the warm nostalgic glow of playing it on a Playstation while lounging on my sofa.

I hope it gets made for anyone that's excited by the prospect of this, but bloody hell have I just felt increasingly bitter about how far it's deviating from the originals as the days have gone buy.

No matter what happens, it means a true new Fear Effect is dead. If it doesn't do well enough, or fails to meet the goal, then there's no way a bigger, more expensive faithful sequel will get the go ahead, but conversely, if this does too well, they'll just want to make more in the same style for fear of alienating the audience that hypothetically bought this.

It's just a lose lose situation all around. Unless this looks great for you mind, in which case good for you, hope it works out for you.

cj_iwakura

If there's clearly no hope of it hitting the console goal on the final day, I'll withdraw my funds. This is barely a Fear Effect game as is, even with the writers, let alone without any of the warm nostalgic glow of playing it on a Playstation while lounging on my sofa.

I hope it gets made for anyone that's excited by the prospect of this, but bloody hell have I just felt increasingly bitter about how far it's deviating from the originals as the days have gone buy.

No matter what happens, it means a true new Fear Effect is dead. If it doesn't do well enough, or fails to meet the goal, then there's no way a bigger, more expensive faithful sequel will get the go ahead, but conversely, if this does too well, they'll just want to make more in the same style for fear of alienating the audience that hypothetically bought this.

It's just a lose lose situation all around. Unless this looks great for you mind, in which case good for you, hope it works out for you.

I'd rather have something different with the same writing team than classic FE with new writers. The story is what drives Fear Effect.

Also, backed. The tiers still suck, so just vanilla for me.

cj_iwakura

senpai the writer responded! :D

I remember hearing that the content of Inferno was going to be very controversial. Do you think that will be reflected in Sedna?

I think that Sedna will have some adult themes and the characters will be struggling with problems from the past and present. I don't think FE:S will set out to make things controversial for controversy's sake, but it won't shy away from it either if that is what it takes to tell a true FE story.

Do you have an ending that you consider 'canon' to FE1, since it has multiples? Everyone surviving? Hana? Glas?

Yeah, my favorite was the everyone survives ending - Wee-Ming sacrifices herself, the king gets it, and all the heroes come back. I have a soft spot for all of them, obviously, and I also felt it would be the most rewarding for the player.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, I feel it is worth mentioning to this thread that through various means I am interviewing both Sushee on Tuesday and John Zuur Plattern on Friday next week. So if you all have any questions that have yet to reach them I am willing to pas them along.

Lain

I don't feel like I have any good questions, but I'll look forward to reading the answers to the questions you'll pass along.

gabbo

Right, I feel it is worth mentioning to this thread that through various means I am interviewing both Sushee on Tuesday and John Zuur Plattern on Friday next week. So if you all have any questions that have yet to reach them I am willing to pas them along.

- Do they intend to stick with the IP if this KS/release is a success or will they move onto something new/else?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, so I have finished my interview with Sushee about all things Suhsee and I have news. SO the devs are listening to the feedback and the game has shifted from being a tactical game and is no much more of a controller friendly full bore action game. Yea, they didn't outright say it but Sedna is being aimed for consoles as well now. To answer the question of Gabbo, this Kickstarter is what is on the line for Fear Effect, if it fails then considered the IP to be in monthballs once again.

Dsyndrome

So they need to make ~$35K in the remaining nine days? How realistic is that? Will have to check later when I'm not on mobile.

Corpekata

Banned
New update, consoles added to base goal, console tiers in the KS. Some brief gameplay footage.

I like the corny death animation for failing the puzzle twice, you don't see that much these days.

ArjanN

New update, consoles added to base goal, console tiers in the KS. Some brief gameplay footage.

I like the corny death animation for failing the puzzle twice, you don't see that much these days.

I think they really nailed the look of the cutscenes, the gameplay seems like a decent foundation even though it's obviously a prototype.

cj_iwakura

The puzzles look great. Not sure about how real time party gameplay is going to work, though... I feel like it'd be better as turn based or with AI partners or something.

gabbo

Right, so I have finished my interview with Sushee about all things Suhsee and I have news. SO the devs are listening to the feedback and the game has shifted from being a tactical game and is no much more of a controller friendly full bore action game. Yea, they didn't outright say it but Sedna is being aimed for consoles as well now. To answer the question of Gabbo, this Kickstarter is what is on the line for Fear Effect, if it fails then considered the IP to be in monthballs once again.

I can take that to mean they aren't looking that far down the road yet, and are worried only about getting this KS to succeed before they worry about sequels or future [unrelated] titles

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I can take that to mean they aren't looking that far down the road yet, and are worried only about getting this KS to succeed before they worry about sequels or future [unrelated] titles

I think that would be safe to assume at this point.

Great that it's gotten funded.... But I can't say I'm super confident in them pulling this off.

Very much seemed like they were hoping for a lot more cash than what they were actually asking for. Consoles being a stretch goal...but when it became obvious that they likely weren't going to reach it,the funds happened to arrive for the ports was a bit of a warning sign to me that 100K is for a very basic version of the game that they want to make.

Top Bottom