• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extra Credits

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
McNum said:
Extra Credits is one of my favorite online shows, it's downright sad to see them in this situation. I'll follow them where they go. All else I use on the Escapst is Zero Puntuation and Unskippable. I hope they aren't in the same trouble as Extra Credits.

Come to think of it, I don't really know what the Escapist's shtick is. Apart from "the site with Zero Punctuation". What are they supposed to be?

It used to be a pretty good e-zine with at least some thought put into articles on a variety of gaming subjects.

But now... ugh... Might as well be Zeropunctuation.com at this point.

McNum

Andrex said:
It used to be a pretty good e-zine with at least some thought put into articles on a variety of gaming subjects.

But now... ugh... Might as well be Zeropunctuation.com at this point.
Oh, right! I remember reading some of their early issues. Nothing special, but not bad either. Guess they expanded too fast with all the video content.

Xanathus

I've considered Escapist to be scummy ever since their gushing 5-star Dragon Age 2 review. The site basically strikes me as an IGN-wannabe, complete with lack of integrity.

I don't watch their videos often, but they have my approval. It's nice to see some people seriously analyzing games as an art form without acting like smug, pretentious dicks about it (c.f. most of the New Games Journalism movement). It's people like Extra Credits, far moreso than Insert Credit or Action Button or Gamespite or so on, who will eventually get gaming accepted as an art form.

plufim said:
Jim Sterlings response: https://plus.google.com/u/0/108707773649336345504/posts/FoWugkV4rHY

He hasn't been paid, but he knew going in that Escapist was in financial trouble. He's not picking a side, at least, not now, since any interaction he's had with Escapist has been pleasant.

But this is pretty much what all the contributors have said, regarding being paid.

It certainly seems more and more that this isn't a case of The Escapist is evil. It's clear they're in financial trouble though so it's hard to tell how that's going to go for them.

At the same time it's been pretty crazy to see so many people come out in the past 24 hours about not being paid...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They've posted it on Youtube.

Great timing with the topic and the announcement that the End of Nations is going f2p.

Roto13

I like the guest artist for this one. :p

They saying they may have found a new home. I honestly would rather keep watching on YouTube but I guess they want to get paid.

KevinCow

Banned
I prefer Youtube because it's a lot more convenient to check one site to see which subscriptions updated for all my video needs than to remember what updates when and check a different site for each.

But I get that they want to get paid, so whatever.

I'm mostly happy to see it off the Escapist because for whatever reason, Firefox crashes on my mac when I open their videos in a new tab.

Eager to hear about their 'new home' news.

vall03

why a "new home"? really would prefer that they stick with Youtube, I mean they started there right? why not continue there? but still great they continued on making new episodes, thought they completely stopped it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
vall03 said:
why a "new home"? really would prefer that they stick with Youtube, I mean they started there right? why not continue there? but still great they continued on making new episodes, thought they completely stopped it.
Because they don't get paid for videos on Youtube.

Roto13

New episode is up. It's long and in two parts. (As in, last week was Part 1 and this week is Part 2-A and Part 2-B)

Part 2 (1)

Part 2 (2)

Uh, I got a couple of minutes in but then they switched to James talking into a webcam and the audio was low and it felt like an amateur YouTube video and it just felt really weird so I turned it off. >_> Maybe I'll give it another go with headphones later.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Roto13 said:
New episode is up. It's long and in two parts. (As in, last week was Part 1 and this week is Part 2-A and Part 2-B)

Part 2 (1)

Part 2 (2)

Uh, I got a couple of minutes in but then they switched to James talking into a webcam and the audio was low and it felt like an amateur YouTube video and it just felt really weird so I turned it off. >_> Maybe I'll give it another go with headphones later.
The audio is not that bad, you should have heard the English commentary during the first day of the Dota 2 tournament.

Thanks for the post though, I totally missed the first part and watched only the second one.

kingschiebi said:
Also, EC is going to PA:TV

This is super exciting, I'm equally happy that they get to bring all their old videos with them and that Allison is back doing the artwork. Not that the guests weren't good, I just preferred the consistency of having one artist do it every week.

Now if I could only remember that they're doing PATV every wednesday instead of thursday from now on...

Yeef

Is there an RSS feed for Extra Credits or just PATV in general? I'm only finding the main PA feed and some 3rd party feeds that don't seem to be up to date.

I don't have Flash here at work, so quick question - is this the series where the narrator has the pitch of his voice turned up for some reason, so he sounds a bit like a chipmunk? I could be utterly mistaken but I recall finding it irritating and hard to take seriously.

I'll try this show again when I get home.

i watched the moral choice episode and he used fallout 3 as a good example of moral choice and i instantly closed the video. not gonna bother to watch anymore of those.

edit: oh i see this has been discussed already.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mungular said:
this show i really good! its unfortunate they had a dispute with the escapist and arent on there anymore
Penny Arcade TV has free HD videos, so I'm not really that bothered by this change.

Top Bottom