• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterlings PS4 Top Ten(MS PR wont talk to him?)

unbias

I don't think you're describing immaturity, you're just mentioning bad moments people have had. I really think that a lot of those folks you mentioned (Cliff, Crecente, Sessler, Garnett) are real stand up people who represent the industry well. But to each their own.

I've always viewed Jim as someone who takes an enormous pleasure in being SEEN as so counter-industry and goes to lengths to rock the boat. That can be a huge liability for any company. I imagine that nothing sucks more than working your butt off on a release only to have Jim go off on it for doing something that every other game also does. That said, Microsoft is sending him games and that's what matters. My guess is they aren't giving him the same level of access as some other outlets (interviews, quotes, etc), but that's the price you pay for wanting to be the hero of gaming.

Cliffs antics, imo, take away from all the other people who worked on the games he gets a lions share of the credit for(but I'm fine with his antics because it gets his name out). Adam is great as long as no one is disagreeing with him, and Garnett... We will just have to disagree on him. I see nothing that Jim does as any less mature then I've seen a large majority of people in the industry act, is my main point, but also those are not isolated incidences either with the people I've mentioned.

And yes, they are sending him games and that is what matters, but also poking at the PR for not talking to him is fine, and I find no convincing argument that what he is doing is a bad thing. He is by no means having a fit, he is having a go at them and that is fine.

Won't he give it a 3 without needing to talk to MS PR? I don't get tinfoil hat theories.

I think they are saying that they wont talk to him because he could very well give it a 3(or a 6). So just giving him the game and not talking to him is their way of dealing with him. That isn't tin foil hat, that sounds quite possible and easy to believe.

Zemm

You can't be serious
formulaic, quicktime event ridden AAA ungame gets a 3.5, that is exactly what it should be scoring

I swear you're like 2 different posters on one account
Half of the time you bemoan poor gameplay and AAA games, on the other hand you get mad when a game that symbolises everything wrong with AAA gaming gets a 3.5
Such hypocricy

ot: more light is shed on how this gross industry works and how much of a bitch the games press is to publishers
if they act unpredictable they get cut off and get no material to do their job with

that's why polygon/ign/kotaku and the likes all defend MS and sony and try to damage control for them, they either act as an extention of PR or they don't get to play along.

Damn, I do enjoy reading your posts like this, haha. Straight to the point, no bullshit.

Clarification:

Sony's reaction to the Escapist hiring me was to congratulate the site.

MS' PR department's reaction was to hope the Escapist puts a leash on me.

unbias

Clarification:

Thanks for the info. Sounds about like what I thought happened. MS hoping they put a leesh on you sounds kind of odd... I mean, Escapist hired you for you, seems if they would put a leash on you would completely defeat the purpose of hiring you. I dunno, maybe I'm being crazy.

akashhhhh

Clarification:

You made this big a deal out of someone not being nice to you in a casual conversation? I wonder why they think of you as a PR liability.

unbias

Why even give him the game if the goal is to somehow stop or slow his poor review? I don't think that is "dealing with him" in any way.

I don't think they are trying to slow or stop his poor review, I just don't think they want to talk with him, currently, because they dont know what he will do. That sounds like just "dealing with him", to me.

You made this big a deal out of someone not being nice to you in a casual conversation? I wonder why they think of you as a PR liability.
No. In fact, you kind of don't know what you're on about. There's no actual conversation, and that is the thing I am talking about. MS' PR wing has been doing a lot of talking ABOUT me, and no talking TO me.

Usually, publishers are actually very accepting of my opinions and coverage, even if it's harsh, and even if they don't agree. Very rarely, a company pulls the kind of stunt where it strings someone along and talks vaguely to them without having the stones to actually tell that person what the problem is, and then they hear about it from friends and colleagues.

And then they make smarmy little tweets one morning for no reason other than to highlight the problem with not actually telling someone directly what the problem is.

unbias

He mentioned it in a video in a joking manor, and made 7 tweets about it? And half of those 7 tweets was responding to people... I made the topic and tried to turn it into something more. Besides, again you have given no reason as to what he did was so horrible. He had a go at them, if they cant handle something this soft...umm.

Amir0x

Banned
No. In fact, you kind of don't know what you're on about. There's no actual conversation, and that is the thing I am talking about. MS' PR wing has been doing a lot of talking ABOUT me, and no talking TO me.

Usually, publishers are actually very accepting of my opinions and coverage, even if it's harsh, and even if they don't agree. Very rarely, a company pulls the kind of stunt where it strings someone along and talks vaguely to them without having the stones to actually tell that person what the problem is, and then they hear about it from friends and colleagues.

And then they make smarmy little tweets one morning for no reason other than to highlight the problem with not actually telling someone directly what the problem is.

It sounds like MS PR is run by scared children or some shit lol

Apologies to those of you who thought my comments today were making a "big deal" out of something. For my part, I was merely trying to make some sort of lightheartedness out of a situation I actually find quite troubling (PR attempting to make the media complicit in the dampening of a person's opinion). I felt people would want to know that and tried to communicate it in a comedic way, if only for the fact that I *don't* like throwing tantrums.

But a tantrum is what some people are apparently seeing. My bad.

FranXico

Sorry to say, but MS PR sounds like teenagers in a highschool.

Apologies to those of you who thought my comments today were making a "big deal" out of something. For my part, I was merely trying to make some sort of lightheartedness out of a situation I actually find quite troubling (PR attempting to make the media complicit in the dampening of a person's opinion). I felt people would want to know that and tried to communicate it in a comedic way, if only for the fact that I *don't* like throwing tantrums.

You're a loose cannon, Sterling! Turn in your gun and your badge.

Derrick01

Banned

For the record I was talking about MS PR in my last comment. From your description of what's going on it really does sound like high school behavior.

Amir0x

Banned

Don't apologize to them. It's not a tantrum to inform your potential readership about facts like this. It's good shit. The industry needs more willing to out companies and their PR wings when they do things like this. It allows us ALL to understand what's really going on behind the scenes.

I can tell you now, because of this, I personally will be reading what you have to write far more often.

Majmun

Don't apologize to them. It's not a tantrum to inform your potential readership about facts like this. It's good shit. The industry needs more willing to out companies and their PR wings when they do things like this. It allows us ALL to understand what's really going on behind the scenes.

This.

unbias

60 second comedic mention on a video and 7 random tweets half of those in response to people... If that is a tantrum all the interwebs is always tantrum.

You're making it seem like there's this massive, veiled underground PR/press interplay in gaming when there isn't.

Their job is to send you copies of the game, which you then review. That's all there is. What could the problem in question possibly be? For someone who doesn't seem to care about the establishment, you just seem to care a lot what some communications major at a PR agency thinks of you.

Your tweets about their perceived passive aggression make people bust out the pitchforks and start speculating that all positive reviews are paid for and that all positive coverage is some sort of quid pro quo, which just isn't true in my opinion.
Hilariously, few people have said what you just said MORE than I have. The reason I am pointing this out is *because* it is so unusual as to prove anomalous.

Fuck it if he doesn't know the embargo I assumed he didn't sign any sort of NDA.

Fuck them publish them "early" if you didn't sign anything.

If he publishes early, he can forget ever being given review copies ever again. Otherwise everyone would publish early, whether they signed anything or not.

That's the threat - or the carrot on the stick - whichever way you wish to look at it.

I really don't know how much I can blame a company's PR arm for being reluctant to talk to someone who is very likely to take whatever he was told and speak very negatively about it. Sony of course is willing to talk to anybody because consumer sentiment is very positive.

It may not be the most ethical option but I have a hard time faulting the PR arm of a company dealing with rather negative consumer sentiment for trying to avoid any further and especially unneeded bad PR.

And I get the frustration but I'm not sure shaming them for doing their jobs is the best option. It's likely to reinforce their beliefs that not talking when the expected result is bad PR no matter what they say is the right one. A belief which is quite arguably correct, we all know what PR is for.

I've read this entire thread and i still don't get whats going on.

In another thread it says when the embargo's for reviews are lifted.
Is Jim Sterling able to release his reviews on these dates or not?

Kingbrave

I wish this kinda thing happened more often. If more people called out this kind of bullshit the less likely it is to happen.

PROTONONE

Neo Member
Seems to me that the week before they launch their multi-billion dollar new device in countries around the world that the Microsoft PR department has more important things on their plate than to deal with someone who might be considered "trouble." This isn't a high school mentality, just a simple cost-benefit analysis.

Ding-Ding

I really don't know how much I can blame a company's PR for being reluctant to talk to someone who is very likely to take whatever he was told and speak very negatively about it. Sony of course is willing to talk to anybody because consumer sentiment is very positive.

It may not be the most ethical option but I have a hard time faulting the PR arm of a company dealing with rather negative consumer sentiment trying to avoid any further and especially unneeded bad PR.

And I get the frustration but I'm not sure shaming them for doing their jobs is the best option. It's likely to reinforce their beliefs that not talking when the expected result is bad PR no matter what they say is the right one. A belief which is quite arguably correct, we all know what PR is for.

Sorry but I am not sure how 'throwing their toys out of the pram' qualifies as doing their job.

unbias

You're making it seem like there's this massive, veiled underground PR/press interplay in gaming when there isn't.

Their job is to send you copies of the game, which you then review. That's all there is. What could the problem in question possibly be? For someone who doesn't seem to care about the establishment, you just seem to care a lot what some communications major at a PR agency thinks of you.

Your tweets about their perceived passive aggression make people bust out the pitchforks and start speculating that all positive reviews are paid for and that all positive coverage is some sort of quid pro quo, which just isn't true in my opinion.

This right here is FUD. People already have perceptions on PR. All this is, to most, is more of the same. This just highlights the stupid nature of PR in general. The point of this thread was to point out the stupid of PR. Seems like you want to turn it into something more as well, to try and discredit the idea that the way PR/Media works is silly.

I really don't know how much I can blame a company's PR for being reluctant to talk to someone who is very likely to take whatever he was told and speak very negatively about it. Sony of course is willing to talk to anybody because consumer sentiment is very positive.

It may not be the most ethical option but I have a hard time faulting the PR arm of a company dealing with rather negative consumer sentiment trying to avoid any further and especially unneeded bad PR.

Here are my grievances:

That nobody had the nerve to directly tell me what was up.

That the sentiment seems to be a hope that the Escapist will actually impose some sort of control over my opinion.

The idea of being blacklisted doesn't worry me. I've been blacklisted before. I find blacklists petty and impotent things. It's the inability to come to me directly, by people I've spoken to for years and have never been unreasonable with, coupled with that desire to see a writer toned down against his wishes. That's the bit that I find just a little bit unsettling.

This isn't even about them not "having time" to deal with me. Certainly enough time was had to try and get assurances I could be controlled.

GQman2121

Banned

Not a tantrum. Ignore those comments and keep fighting the good fight. Those of us with any sense appreciate the insight. Cheers

Costia

I've read this entire thread and i still don't get whats going on.

In another thread i says when the embargo's for reviews are lifted.
Is Jim Sterling able to release his reviews on these dates or not?
This isn't about the embargo dates/reviews. It's about MS PR ignoring Jim.
I would like to hear MS's side of this. So far it looks like they don't like him and don't want to talk to him.

Press copies always, always, ALWAYS come with a nice letter extolling the game's qualities and reiterating the embargo dates.
We've been hearing for weeks that the embargo dates for MS stuff were, themselves, embargoed. Many sites had no idea what the embargo actually was. Maybe MS's PR gave different dates to different sites hoping to massage the best scores out of them? Just a guess.

FranXico

Seems to me that the week before they launch their multi-billion dollar new device in countries around the world that the Microsoft PR department has more important things on their plate than to deal with someone who might be considered "trouble." This isn't a high school mentality, just a simple cost-benefit analysis.

Excuse me?

Actively cutting communication is more of a waste of effort to try to deal with a measly troublemaker than just treating him like all the other journalists.

unbias

I'm not sure how ignoring someone who you gave a review copy to is resembling of anything called a good idea. Now if they didnt send him a copy, then I would agree, but that isn't what they did. They sent him toys and then didnt talk to him; in what way, outside of what Joseph Merrick said, does that seem like a good way of controlling "trouble"? To me, it does sound high schoolish.

Top Bottom