• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterlings PS4 Top Ten(MS PR wont talk to him?)

tsumineko

I see your point and I guess your right, just bugs me he acts like hes smarter then everyone else and the only one that gets it.

I guess that's the joke

Yeah, he is playing a character in those videos. It is the joke!

The real Jim Sterling is one humble guy. Listening to Podtoid makes that apparent.

he seems to be one of the few industry types who is more connected with consumers than big publishers.

Just wait until Jim voices an unpopular opinion and watch as most people who support him start turning on him. Gamers are a fickle bunch, you can be their darling one minute and get ostracized the next. Many journalists are regarded as fair, balanced and consumer-supportive until they disagree with the prevailing opinion, then they are accused of corruption and bias. Sessler's example is all too recent.

Mononoke

Banned
Just wait until Jim voices an unpopular opinion and watch as most people who support him start turning on him. Gamers are a fickle bunch, you can be their darling one minute and get ostracized the next. Many journalists are regarded as fair, balanced and consumer-supportive until they disagree with the prevailing opinion, then they are accused of corruption and bias. Sessler's example is all too recent.

Jim's already had unpopular opinions on here. And honestly, not everyone likes him. I do, but he's not everyone's cup of tea.

madmackem

Jim's already had unpopular opinions on here. And honestly, not everyone likes him. I do, but he's not everyone's cup of tea.

Yeah he used one of my posts on here in one of his videos and had a go, however he is still one of the better ones out there as he says what he feels and never bows down to the big boys, so even if you dont always agree with him you cant help but respect him.

Faustek

When he stops being a consumer advocate
Yepp, that's the scenario. Biggest reason,outside of the earlier sentence, I personally care about him is the fact that he makes me think.
Especially his earlier work about sexism.

I know, I've been following him for quite some time because I enjoy the content he puts out and I don't care if he agrees with me or not. I'm talking about his more recent supporters, the ones who think of him as a consumer champion because his views align with theirs.

Just for laughs, I'd like Jim to review Ryse and say something like "this is the best-looking nextgen game,period." There aren't enough septic tanks in the world for the shitstorm that will follow :-D

madmackem

I know, I've been following him for quite some time because I enjoy the content he puts out and I don't care if he agrees with me or not. I'm talking about his more recent supporters, the ones who think of him as a consumer champion because his views align with theirs.

Just for laughs, I'd like Jim to review Ryse and say something like "this is the best-looking nextgen game,period." There aren't enough septic tanks in the world for the shitstorm that will follow :-D

I think if you changed best looking to best playing you might have a point.

I think if you changed best looking to best playing you might have a point.

Possibly :) Either way, I'm curious to see if current fan favorites like Jim Sterling and Angry Joe, people who rightfully criticized Microsoft over its DRM shenanigans, will remain so if they compare the xbone favorably to the ps4.

Swarming101

Very easy to be cynical and just criticise every gaming journalist out there from the comfort of your chair, but Jim is one of the few people who actually tells it like it is in his reviews. He actually uses the full score scale and he isn't afraid to tread on toes (*cough* Arkham Origins, Ghosts...) to do so. How about some actual positivity on this forum for a change? I hope he gets this sorted out because XBO owners would definitely benefit from getting an actual accurate review of some of the launch games. I suspect Ryse might be in the firing line.

unbias

That always happens, people love Mike Wilbon, but every time he says something controversial he is hated for about a month, then everyone likes him again. As long as his perspective doesn't go from consumer perspective to industry perspective, though, to me he is always worth a watch or a listen.

Curufinwe

Why do Sony take a website like Polygon seriously, honestly the people that frequent that website are so deluded it's unreal. Thanks for the info man, can we make a Gies hate thread please, no. Polygon hate thread would be much better.

No hate threads, please. But a thread listing all the dishonest things Polygon employees have said this year about the two consoles would be worth doing.

Just this week Gies claimed that Microsoft were the only ones announcing new IPs.

espher

Whenever someone complains about a reviewer being too "subjective," I' think what they are actually complaining about is that the reviewer has a different opinion than them.

I know a couple of people I talk to use this term when what they actually mean is that the reviewer just doesn't provide a lot of concrete information to justify their opinion or to explain systems and mechanics.

e.g. someone saying something like "this game has some fun combat mechanics, and does a lot of interesting and unique things that make it a must buy", and then not detailing the components that are interesting and unique and what makes it standout/highlighting why they find it fun so I can judge if it's something I find fun.

So mostly just using the wrong word to describe why they take issue with it.

Edit: Oh and I know people were shitting all over EmptySpace in this thread but the one thing he said that I do, personally, agree with to some extent is that reviewers should be reviewing games in genres they are interested more often than not. It'd be nice to get two reviews, though -- one from a genre fan and one from a party with less familiarity with the genre. There have been a few titles I know I've read a lot of bad reviews on that contained information that made me feel maybe the game was a weak genre entry, but once I impulse bought it on the cheap I actually really enjoyed it (as did others I then loaned it to). There's a fine line to tread, of course, because superfans of a series or franchise might hype it up, but it's always good to get the SRPG guy reviewing SRPGs and the sports guy reviewing sports games. I feel a lot of the nuances are better examined under that light.

Biker19

Banned
Stories like this make me happy I'm supporting Sony this gen.

Me too.

You know even if BOTH Sony and Microsoft blacklisted Jim, I'd be giving him kudos for leading by example and refusing to be a PR puppet whose message can be bought, controlled and manipulated.

Frankly, we need more Jim Sterlings in this industry. Corruption in gaming media should not be rewarded the way it has been up until now.

Definitely this.

No hate threads, please. But a thread listing all the dishonest things Polygon employees have said this year about the two consoles would be worth doing.

Just this week Gies claimed that Microsoft were the only ones announcing new IPs.

I started tuning him out during the rebelfm days wherein he compared the shooting in half life 2 to taking a shit.

People in general are fickle. I don't think there is anything unique about gamers in this regard.

Top Bottom