• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors Official Character Popularity Poll

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This is the first time Koei has officiated a poll like this for us westerners. You vote for your three favorite characters in each kingdom (+ other). They're starting with Wei and rotating through each kingdom throughout August, then having semifinals and finals in early September.

Here's the schedule:

DGIsny3UwAAuEM3.jpg:large

Here's the twitter account to follow to keep up with the polls: https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS

I'll try to post the direct links to the polls here as they come in

Results

Wei:

Shu:

Wu:

Other:

Jin:

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
You people better vote for Wang Yi!

Voted for Wang Yi, Zhen Ji, and Xiahou Dun (what a badass)

Nakadai30

Went with:
Xiahou Dun (He's responsible for me renting dw2 back in the day, I thought his eyepatch meant he was a pirate and I've been hooked on DW ever since.)
Cao Cao (Loved his new moveset in DW8, hope he has something similar in 9. Also his voice actor is incredible, as is Dun's)
Yu Jin (Wanted to support a newer character. Like his moveset and demeanor alot, a humorless prick. Like to see him paired up with Zhang He.)

Mephala

Almost the same. Swap out Wang Yi for Cao Cao

Can't wait to vote for my boy Dong Zhou

Yeah, I wanted to pick Cao Cao and Zhang He too. Would have been better if we could pick both males and females in their own sets but I think we don't have enough females representing any way.

Willenium

Wei:
Zhang Liao
Zhang He
Cao Cao

Wu:
Lu Xun
Gan Ning
Sun Quan

Shu:
Pang Tong
Ma Chao
Jiang Wei (i just feel bad for the guy)

I chose Cai Wenji, Cao Ren and Zhen Ji.

For Shu I'm picking Yue Ying, Pang Tong and Zhuge Liang.

For Wu I'm picking Da Qiao, Zhou Yu and Huang Gai.

For Jin I'm picking Zhang Chunhua, Zhong Hui and Sima Yi

For Others I'm picking Zhu Rong, Diao Chan and Zhang Jiao.

For the Wei faction in DW I'd vote for Pang De first.

But to me Pang De will never be a Cao Cao officer but a Ma Teng officer.

Ma Teng and Dong Zhuo are always the central factions of my RTK playthroughs. I always start in or as near as possible in north-west Liang.

Willenium

For the Wei faction in DW I'd vote for Pang De first.

But to me Pang De will never be a Cao Cao officer but a Ma Teng officer.

Ma Teng and Dong Zhuo are always the central factions of my RTK playthroughs. I always start in or as near as possible in north-west Liang.

The Ma clan has always been a favorite of mine as well. I kinda like He Jin in the ROTK games because he dies pretty fast, then you usually get the coolest name in the entire era, Gongsun Zan, as your leader.

Tagyhag

I know it's cliched but Zhao Yun's been my boy since the 3rd game. Chose him without knowing he was the poster boy of the series and his spear and love for justice made him a keeper.

For Wei I went with:

1. Xiahou Dun
2. Zhang Liao
3. Zhen Ji

Every release after DW3 I've told myself "I'll just get the next one." It looks like some of the characters have evolved so much since then. What's with Gan Ning using weapons other than a big ass sword. 0_o

Based on my memories of DW2+3, I'd say my favs are:

Zhang Liao
Gan Ning
Ma Chao
Sun Ce

Ooooh, now we're talking! I've been waiting a long time for the western audience to get one of these popularity polls! Three characters per faction? Urgh...that's tough for some factions, especially since I'm a Wei man, and they're the first vote!!

Wei:
1: Zhang Liao(fuck yeah!)
2: Cao Cao
3: Cai Wenji or Wang Yi....don't make me choose.

Evilisk

Ughh I can't pick only 3

EDIT: Seriously, even picking between 5 characters to vote on would be way easier than picking between 3.

Nakadai30

Japan had a DW popularity poll this year as well. I think it's interesting to contrast the winners with who wins in the West.

Japanese Winners

Wei: Guo Jia, Cao Pi, Xiahou Dun
Wu: Lu Xun, Daqiao, Ling Tong
Shu: Zhao Yun, Xu Shu, Guan Yinping
Jin: Wang Yuanji, Zhong Hui, Jia Chong
Other: Lu Lingqi, Diao Chan, Chen Gong

Pretty interesting results. No burly man types, except for maybe Xiahou Dun. Lu Bu doesn't make the top three others, but his daughter and girlfriend do. I remember hearing there are a lot of female DW fans in Japan. Only thing I find disturbing is seeing Guan Yinping in the Shu top 3, what a godawful goddamn character.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Japan had a DW popularity poll this year as well. I think it's interesting to contrast the winners with who wins in the West.

Japanese Winners

Wei: Guo Jia, Cao Pi, Xiahou Dun
Wu: Lu Xun, Daqiao, Ling Tong
Shu: Zhao Yun, Xu Shu, Guan Yinping
Jin: Wang Yuanji, Zhong Hui, Jia Chong
Other: Lu Lingqi, Diao Chan, Chen Gong

Pretty interesting results. No burly man types, except for maybe Xiahou Dun. Lu Bu doesn't make the top three others, but his daughter and girlfriend do. I remember hearing there are a lot of female DW fans in Japan. Only thing I find disturbing is seeing Guan Yinping in the Shu top 3, what a godawful goddamn character.

Surprised at Jia Chong and Cheng Gong. Maybe a little surprised at Ling Tong too. The rest, not so much. I figure Dun is up there because he's poster boy No. 2 after Zhao Yun. Gets a lot of story, trailer, demo focus, etc. Then it's just pretty boys and girls, many of them built entirely out of anime archetypes.

Mephala

Surprised at Jia Chong and Cheng Gong. Maybe a little surprised at Ling Tong too. The rest, not so much. I figure Dun is up there because he's poster boy No. 2 after Zhao Yun. Gets a lot of story, trailer, demo focus, etc. Then it's just pretty boys and girls, many of them built entirely out of anime archetypes.

One of the better characters in the series. I think he got shafted a bit when they started pushing Cao Pi as Zhao Yun's rival more. Still, he was a fairly important figure and a fan favourite for a few entries, he can't exactly fade out from existence or simply get benched entirely
(only Wu units are allowed)
. He still remains my favourite Wei unit.

Xiahou Dun even practices the one handed kamehameha. Truly exceptional.
3TewiIG.jpg

Top Bottom