• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

After witnessing that sorry fucking excuse of the Bride of Nine Spiders...

ironfist2kjvs.gif

or I was only up to episode 3, and that explanation doesn't come until later. Thanks for the condescension though.

Yeah, it was lame as is. Could have done so much more.

Yado

Am I the only one who thinks the lead looks like poor casting and has a super unflattering haircut?

I wouldn't have chosen him to be the lead in a show tbh, he just doesn't have "it". Disagree on the hair though, it's super cute and his best asset

RedAssedApe

Banned
So the leads didn't get enough time to prep for the fights:

https://moviepilot.com/p/iron-fist-kung-fu-fight-scenes/4228011

makes me feel bad for the guy as he's going to be hit with a lot of the criticism...warranted or not. like i said in a previous post, due to them not putting him in costume at all, he probably didn't get the luxury of having a stunt double doing the crazy fight scenes like daredevil.

i'm assuming most of the fighting is him with the amount of constant cuts going on.

Shaanyboi

Banned

this... makes complete sense. From the start of the news cycle, the show's production seemed totally rushed, if not a directionless mess. Almost everything about this feels like a first draft. I feel bad for Jones here. Hopefully he gets to shine a bit in Defenders with showrunners who have a clue of what they're doing.

This is why you put your hero in something resembling a costume - you can get people who know what they're doing for the fights, and they can prepare properly.

Dynomutt

After witnessing that sorry fucking excuse of the Bride of Nine Spiders...

ironfist2kjvs.gif

or I was only up to episode 3, and that explanation doesn't come until later. Thanks for the condescension though.

Are you talking about
the challenge...if so I didn't even realize that is what it was
!

Husker86

This shit starts too fucking slow.

I don't agree with most of the issues people post about regarding shows on here, but this one is bugging me.

Kaizer

Banned

Wow, compare this to a show like Into the Badlands for example, which spent an entire month filming one fight scene just ti get it right. For a physical action-heavy show, prep is key.

On the other hand though, just finished up the third episode with my Dad earlier this evening & we like it so far. Its FAR from perfect, but I haven't the urge to stop watching yet.

EYEL1NER

I'm up to episode 9 now I guess. I feel like it's gotten a lot better; Episode 6 was really good and makes me wish RZA had directed more episodes than just that one.

lupinko

I know it was only two episodes or so but I still think they spent too much time
in the asylum

You'd think a living weapon would just take no guff and get out of there post haste.

AMUSIX

Just finished it...overall, I liked it, but it was decidedly weaker than any of the other Defenders. I've seen people describe it as consistent mediocrity, and I'd agree with that.

The lack of preparation for the fight scenes was obvious, and is really too bad. The actors are going to get shit for it (as are the directors and editors) but, really, when given no time, this is what you end up with.

When a fight scene works, it definitely works (I thought Wing's cage matches and the drunken fight were the stand-outs) so hopefully the actors will have more prep time for The Defenders and IF2 (if there is another season).

One thing I really disliked was something that has happened in the other shows as well (specifically DD and LC). These shows set up a story, introduce you to characters, have everything move along, and then suddenly say "HEY! here's a shocking twist involving a character you've never seen before!" In Dare Devil S1,
Stick should have been introduced long before that one episode. Matt's backstory and training should have been seeded in through the other episodes, so when Stick arrives, there's weight to it.
The same thing in Luke Cage,
Diamondback would have been a MUCH better villain, if we had been given Luke's childhood earlier. Shown him watching the classic movies with his best friend/bro. Then, when DB does the quote from the Warriors, the audience would get to go "holy fuck, it's his best friend!" After that, the audience would get another 'OH FUCK!" moment when it's revealed that he's his brother. Instead, DB is just a random psycho guy, and his reveal as Luke's childhood friend means nothing to us.
And the exact same thing happens in IF.
Davos shows up, and it doesn't mean shit to us. They can tell us over and over how these two are kungfu bros, but it carries no weight. If we had been shown some of Danny's backstory, if we had been introduced to Davos earlier, things would have meant something. Instead he shows up, terrorizes some food truck guy, looks like a villain for half a scene, then appears with a "you're the worst Iron Fist" quip.

Yeah, so all of that was handled really fuck poorly, but, then, that seems to be an ongoing theme in these shows. They think they can do comic book structure, but ignore the fact that it sucks when comic books do that too.

AMUSIX

Just watched the first episode.. it was fine. Does it get progressively worse from here?

I'd say that it stays at a fairly consistent level throughout the show. It moves much slower than the other Defender shows, but also doesn't fall into the pacing slump that they did.

Just watched the first episode.. it was fine. Does it get progressively worse from here?

It does. The first 2 episodes are easily the worst. The other episodes at worst are just missed opportunities and fell short, but the first 2 episodes are just kinda bad. None of the characters interactions really make sense, and it's basically 2 episodes of establishing characters by beating you over the head with them.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Harold and Ward are maybe the only two who really have impressed me. Danny is written far too petulant at times, whereas as Ward's shittiness atleast kinda goes places. David Wenham, however, perfectly hams up just about every scene he's in.
Especially later.

finowns

Watched the second episode. The martial arts stuff comes off corny wished they would have gone more traditional with some added mysticism.. Ip Man meets Buddhist monk + magic. Like Ip Man doesn't make a spectacle of himself, he's just a bad-ass.

Also, if he's trained by magic monks for 15 years why is he so naive? Like his mind should be as strong as his body or whatever. It not necessary to do corny cliche stuff. Danny Rand has to have some of this in his character: ”So it is said, for him who understands Heavenly joy, life is the working of Heaven; death is the transformation of things. In stillness, he and the yin share a single Virtue; in motion, he and the yang share a single flow."

I do like the characters and setting, and it seems fun so far, but it also makes me think of what might have been if the writers and show runners were more awesome.

Edit -- And the guy from 300 is cool.

Finished it last night, not bad but very cringey fighting, I hope the main actor gets some lessons before Defenders starts filming and definitely before season 2.

Yeah sums up how I felt as well.

Not as bad as I feared after the initial thread about the show. Daredevil had much better fighting.

Sadist

Almost done with the series, but man I kinda wished Marvel would have started with Luke and Danny in a Heroes for Hire show. Now its just, eh. Wenham and the guy playing Ward are fun. Colleen is cute.

At this point I feel Iron Fist is the Thor of the Netflix-verse if that makes any sense.

Almost done with the series, but man I kinda wished Marvel would have started with Luke and Danny in a Heroes for Hire show. Now its just, eh. Wenham and the guy playing Ward are fun. Colleen is cute.

At this point I feel Iron Fist is the Thor of the Netflix-verse if that makes any sense.

Thor ... or Thor 2?

LordRaptor

Not really. You see him continually
taking pills out of his jacket pocket when Harold calls him. I at first thought they were like blood pressure meds, but it becomes clear over time that he's been popping painkillers the whole time.
It's not a huge shock as much as it slowly creeps up and becomes painfully obvious around that point.

Literally anyone in any television series that you see
taking pills then washing it down with whiskey has some kind of substance abuse problem - thats like TV shorthand for "needs an intervention"

Its about numbers more than quality. As long as its content that people watch, it would be worth it. Theyll retool and try to do better next time.

With a critical beating like the one this got, how many people are actually going to bother watching though? You have the hardcore MCU TV fans of course, but the other Netflix shows also got their fair share of casual watchers that tuned in based on word of mouth.

With a critical beating like the one this got, how many people are actually going to bother watching though? You have the hardcore MCU TV fans of course, but the other Netflix shows also got their fair share of casual watchers that tuned in based on word of mouth.

The nature of the Netflix shows is that people give them a chance based on the fact they're Netflix shows. So even if casual viewers hear nad things, when they inevitably run through everything that's interesting, they start perusing all the stuff that Netflix produces.

But it would help if people stopped exaggerating about the quality of this show. It's not nearly as bad as some are saying. There IS an inbetween. Everything isn't Breaking Bad/Mad Men OR 2 Broke Girls. Quality of shows is a scale and this show is better than most of the comic shows on Network tv even if it doesn't reach the quality of the other Marvel Netflix shows.

The nature of the Netflix shows is that people give them a chance based on the fact they're Netflix shows. So even if casual viewers hear nad things, when they inevitably run through everything that's interesting, they start perusing all the stuff that Netflix produces.

Netflix shows are an enormous time sink of 13 hours per season. People don't generally waste time on a show unless there's a good reason to. This isn't the movies where if it's a bad one, you only lose about 2 hours.

I think the market of people that actually spends time to watch through every single Netflix produced show is a small percentage of the overall users TBH. Not to mention that there's even a tremendous dropoff in viewers between episodes within the Netflix shows themselves depending on quality (IIRC according to the stats that Netflix released last year).

Netflix shows are an enormous time sink of 13 hours per season. People don't generally waste time on a show unless there's a good reason to. This isn't the movies where if it's a bad one, you only lose about 2 hours.

I think the market of people that actually spends time to watch through every single Netflix produced show is a small percentage of the overall users TBH. Not to mention that there's even a tremendous dropoff in viewers between episodes within the Netflix shows themselves depending on quality (IIRC according to the stats that Netflix released last year).

I didn't say they watch every entire series. I said they would *check out* Netflix produced shows. This is why there is drop off between episodes. Because people decide a few eps in that it's not for them.

Also, far less people view a bad show as a waste of time than you think. Most people "watch" Netflix while they're doing other things. Laundry, cooking, studying, gaming, etc... It's not lost time to those people because it's basically background noise.

Nettlix doesn't need every single show to be a hit. They just need a few shows to be a hit and the others to fill out their original programming so that there appears to be a value. Not unlike Cable having 100's of channels that most people never watch.

Iron Fist can survive being middling simply because it's connected to the better received Marvel shows. But it DOES need to step up in quality next season or IF might just be folded into another show and replaced by Punisher (based on fan reception). Punisher is a shit character and premise though so I really hope we don't see that happen. I'm aware people are enamored of him but thematically he's pretty gross.

I watched two episode last night.

It wasn't bad, but definitely the worst so far of the marvel netflix stuff.

The fight choreography was pretty bad though. The potential is there. The lead actor dude that plays ironfist isn't very good either.

Top Bottom