• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

zkylon

zkylewd
why? LCS thread works fine?
well it's nice to have a special thread, lets other people know a big event is happening and idk it's hype

but turnout on the worlds thread wasn't huge for the amount of work it took and not super in the mood of making threads atm

Leezard

it's weird gaf doesn't have a bigger league base compared to dota or even hots which gets threads up the wazoo

Hots gets a lot of brand recognition from people who like blizzard, and I think it caught a couple of "I don't like Moba, but I can try it since it's Blizzard" people. Dota has the Valve factor and the fact that the Dota OTs got to exist in the main forum for as long as Dota2 was marked as beta, which was around 2 years or so. They got a ton of visibility thanks to that. League got put into the community forum much more quickly.

So basically I think it's mainly that gaf in general is not very Moba-friendly in general so Dota/Hots gets extra interest due to brand recognition. There are definitely quite a bit of people who play League but don't visit this thread though, I notice them every now and then in the Gaming forum.

Hots gets a lot of brand recognition from people who like blizzard, and I think it caught a couple of "I don't like Moba, but I can try it since it's Blizzard" people. Dota has the Valve factor and the fact that the Dota OTs got to exist in the main forum for as long as Dota2 was marked as beta, which was around 2 years or so. They got a ton of visibility thanks to that. League got put into the community forum much more quickly.

So basically I think it's mainly that gaf in general is not very Moba-friendly in general so Dota/Hots gets extra interest due to brand recognition. There are definitely quite a bit of people who play League but don't visit this thread though, I notice them every now and then in the Gaming forum.

Hm.

Rito should definitely do a 'megapack' thing like HoTS. There's been enough change in it to warrant drawing in new/coming back players with an easy way to play. It's kinda genius what Blizzard did-give everyone access to 20 heroes really made people go 'Maybe I'll give this a try'.

I would also advocate for them to make loot chests more like HoTS, and in what you get in it, you get immediately, none of that essence nonsense. Or key nonsense. That there is archaic valve thinking.

Leezard

Hm.

Rito should definitely do a 'megapack' thing like HoTS. There's been enough change in it to warrant drawing in new/coming back players with an easy way to play. It's kinda genius what Blizzard did-give everyone access to 20 heroes really made people go 'Maybe I'll give this a try'.

I would also advocate for them to make loot chests more like HoTS, and in what you get in it, you get immediately, none of that essence nonsense. Or key nonsense. That there is archaic valve thinking.

The megapack thing was great, yeah. I only tried the game out because of that.

I dislike the loot chest thing though. They made it so you can't buy skins outside of featured skins with actual currency. From what I understand they also introduced more crap loot that nobody cares about to water down the chest rewards.

Hm.

Did Riot is still giving 240 RP for new accounts? I remember Amazon did a small pack of Champions for NA only. Still I agree Riot should focus on a event or an special promotion to new players giving a good bunch of champions or get a basic bundle promo for 100 RP.

I dislike the loot chest thing though. They made it so you can't buy skins outside of featured skins with actual currency. From what I understand they also introduced more crap loot that nobody cares about to water down the chest rewards.

You can still buy skins with money and Ingame money.

Eh, chat people are having fun spamming emojis and the announcer voices are neat

Eh, On the 2nd part, doesn't Riot do the same with ward skins/icons that nobody really cares about? That and the whole essence thing is just annoying af. And the key thing is annoying af.

What I'm saying is that I would play League more if you could get more tanglible rewards than just IP.

Leezard

You can still buy skins with money and Ingame money.

Eh, chat people are having fun spamming emojis and the announcer voices are neat
Only featured skins can be bought with money, no? Other skins can only be crafted with the ingame money you get from chests from what I could see.

Eh, On the 2nd part, doesn't Riot do the same with ward skins/icons that nobody really cares about? That and the whole essence thing is just annoying af. And the key thing is annoying af.

What I'm saying is that I would play League more if you could get more tanglible rewards than just IP.
Not nearly as much as hots, and they are uncommon compared to champ shards and skin shards. Random voice lines, sprays and emojis are what I've gotten mostly, with a couple common skins and not a single hero.

Keys are very annoying and could leave, essence is all right though.

I mean, I wouldn't complain if you just got permanents instead of shards and there were no keys nor essence, but it's not realistic to expect that without a massive watering down of rewards.

Not nearly as much as hots, and they are uncommon compared to champ shards and skin shards. Random voice lines, sprays and emojis are what I've gotten mostly, with a couple common skins and not a single hero.

Keys are very annoying and could leave, essence is all right though.

I mean, I wouldn't complain if you just got permanents instead of shards and there were no keys nor essence, but it's not realistic to expect that without a massive watering down of rewards.

It could work if rito tried. Yeah there's alot of superfluous content that HotS offers, but you're usually guaranteed a skin or better when you open a chest.

Rito can just add the chromas and put in more chromas and what not into their chests to 'water down' the rewards. And more icons. And put in IP boosts into it.

What I'm saying is Rito would just benefit more.

Leezard

It could work if rito tried. Yeah there's alot of superfluous content that HotS offers, but you're usually guaranteed a skin or better when you open a chest.

Rito can just add the chromas and put in more chromas and what not into their chests to 'water down' the rewards. And more icons. And put in IP boosts into it.

What I'm saying is Rito would just benefit more.
Riot might benefit from going full overwatch /hots with chests, but I think the experience as a player gets worse. I'd rather buy skins I like directly than have to rely on chest drops and special sales.

For hots the only drops I care about is heroes and skins, and I'm definitely not getting a skin or better for each chest. Different announcers sound cool but I haven't gotten any. I'm around level 18 or so so I haven't played a lot, but there's still a fair number of chests.

Riot might benefit from going full overwatch /hots with chests, but I think the experience as a player gets worse. I'd rather buy skins I like directly than have to rely on chest drops and special sales.

For hots the only drops I care about is heroes and skins, and I'm definitely not getting a skin or better for each chest. Different announcers sound cool but I haven't gotten any. I'm around level 18 or so so I haven't played a lot, but there's still a fair number of chests.

Just spitballing, but make the chest rewards a bit better-

If Rito implemented the superior chests™ formula, they could have you get a basic chest every mastery level, maybe a special chest every 5 mastery levels. Give out a special levelling up chest per player level(Up to 30, contains things like IP boosts or characters), on top of the 4 chests you can get from S ranking(Maybe shorten the cooldown?).

Like, as someone who played a tons of HoTS, when I came back to 2.0, I got 70 basic chests, 4 veteran chests(Each one containing atleast a legendary) and like 20 epic chests.

Basically it made me go 'whoa theres more stuff to collect and I can earn shit by playing the game and not spending a dime.' (Granted I had already put hundreds of buckaroos into HoTS so I already had a ton of skins already.)

If Rito did the same, I'd be more inclined to come back and check it out. I've spent hundreds in leagues as well, but I wouldn't feel bad if newer players could get more out of the game then I did originally without spending money, either(Since I know there would be people who go 'But these new players are getting way too much compared to what I got!')

JulianImp

Just tried new Zac and Maokai, and they both felt pretty nice. I might end up trying the tree in the jungle if I ever get that role in a normal game, but I think its lack of mobility might end up being quite a big deal compared to meta junglers, and it also appears to be pretty mana-intensive even though you get lots of HP sustain through its passive.

Regarding the loot system, I'd say that it requiring both keys (which take a while to farm) and chests (which are hard-capped to one per champ) is quite a pain. I think removing keys altogether and offering chest shards instead (even at lowered drop rates) would be an okay way to have you get new loot every now and then even if you have a limited champ pool or aren't good enough to get S ranks on every champion you own.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'd rather riot didn't do all that overwatch bullshit and just sold skins and lowered ip prices for things

you know, simple stuff?

like not do the dehumanizing exploitative skinner box model bullshit and just you know let people make decisions based on nothing but their own will?

also breezy is wrong in the "crap loot" thing for riot. unlike overwatch which purposely creates 90% worthless garbage with the direct purpose of screwing your odds, league chests actually favor skins over everything else (this is for china but probably the same here considering i get like at least 70% skins):

Skin Debris (Skin Shards): 45.135%
Permanent Skin: 29.255%
Hero Debris (Champion Shards): 14.61%
Permanent Hero: 7%
Summoner Icon: 2%
Guarding the Skin (Ward Skins): 2%

that being said all loot systems are shit and should go away

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Newt went against a Gangplank master smurf in D5 and the smurf ended up losing. Newt ended up baiting him in post game lobby chat and made him rage and then he stopped streaming cause of it.
Newt is a blessing to the community.

Talents

Banned
Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when? Lightning mid laner when?

Newt

I know some people hate the crafting system, but it's really a great way for Riot to throw people a biscuit while still being able to generate revenue themselves.

Linking this skin devblog here

also highlighting a particular part of it...
Makes sense that Yorick, Cass, Viktor etc are getting skins atm because their kits are in such a "stable" state. Breezy probably won't want to admit this, but the only reason Swain isn't getting skins is because his kit is a mess and is probably gonna be overhauled.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Super glad a Yorick skin is finally coming through. I don't feel very strongly about any of the current ones and the base is not really what I'm looking for either.

I dunno if rates are different based on region but I've found the HotS chests to be extremely generous. I've gotten tons of skins and chests drop like crazy. You're also getting a full piece of content rather than bits and pieces of it, and there's nothing stopping someone from buying a skin they want with real money like they would with League. I'm glad League has what it does but because you're working in bits and pieces of stuff it can just feel really unrewarding, and the key system feels miserly. I have like 18 boxes I'm sitting on that feel like I'll just never be able to open them because key fragments are so rare and I can't even grind for them.

Gurrry

So I finally put money into this game (shame on me). But I had to buy that poro sejuani skin.

Might grab arcade ezreal or some more champs with the rest.

Im loving the new sej now btw. Shes so fun to play.

zkylon

zkylewd
i wonder if the chogath stoneplate thing will be hotfixed, it's probably not as broken as it looks in an edited video cos chogath is still chogath and has trouble getting to people but at the same time that doesn't sound like it should be left as is for two weeks

Linking this skin devblog here

also highlighting a particular part of it...
cool, all of those champions could use some cool skins. at least i've been wanting for viktor and cassi skins for a while. i wonder if taliyah is among them too, since she also had a illaoi tier launch skin

feedback on the topic:
- i think theme set skins are kind of tricky, i'm a big fan of some sets (pool party, chinese arcade, the bilgewater set) but have kind of hated all the recent ones (blood moon, project, star guardian). to me those new skin sets just feel boring because those themes don't allow for enough variety to make each skin look distinct. and honestly the latest pool party skins have also been kind of trite considering there's only so much you can do with waterguns and swimsuits and shit (but maybe do ahri before retiring this set ok?). keep doing sets but choose better sets to do. blood moon was like holy shit all these champions look exactly the same
- void illaoi wasn't a theme problem, the skin was just below riot really high standards (best in the biz) in like execution and design. same with taliyah, tho i think taliyah also kind of had a bad concept
- pugmaw is so bad, i don't get how that got released. even after all the changes that skin is totally unacceptable. i don't like meme-y skins so i guess i can't judge. i think the alistar skin was also really uninspired and lame.
- speaking of memes, don't put a troll face on fucking olaf, what the fuck is wrong with you riot

I know some people hate the crafting system, but it's really a great way for Riot to throw people a biscuit while still being able to generate revenue themselves.
i dislike it cos buying chests is a trap. you're gambling against terrible odds with the illusion of dj sona in your mind

there's nothing in for you in riot's selling of chests, it's there to prey on the people that's weak on self restraint, and those people subsidize what we get, which is mostly worthless since with league having like a thousand skins the odds of you getting a skin for one of your champions, let alone one you like and don't already own are very slim

that's all there is to it, it's a skinner box tied to gambling for money, it's scummy, rotten shit that shouldn't be in a videogame

Makes sense that Yorick, Cass, Viktor etc are getting skins atm because their kits are in such a "stable" state. Breezy probably won't want to admit this, but the only reason Swain isn't getting skins is because his kit is a mess and is probably gonna be overhauled.
when's the last part breezy admitted anything lol

zkylon

zkylewd
DrzMjmQ.png

maybe achievements on pbe, tho rito says it'll be mostly used for events and stuff (like the xayah and rakan icon thing i'm guessing)

i personally don't like any of that stuff in league cos u don't want people thinking about anything other than the game they're playing so not a big fan, but if they're only gonna use it for events then that's not worse than what we have now i guess

i definitely wouldn't want anything that influenced your play in any way (aka farm x minions in one game or play y number of games with z champion)

Gurrry

So after playing Sejuani since she was free 2 weeks ago and falling in love with her, I could never reach that S rank. I never jungled before, so it was a big learning curve.

Today, after the rework, ive gotten 2 S-'s.

Now I need to figure out how to get blue essence to get mastery 6 lol

Could have been together in a lobby that dodged.

Guess that's the answer. Though this was flex and I assumed most people were grouped in these kinda games.

Kinda strange to assume that the guy would straight up be on the enemy team but I just had Darius banned from me after selecting him in a game that was dodged. The enemy team seemed like the same enemies that dodged. Maybe the match making isn't too good in flex.

Newt

Guess that's the answer. Though this was flex and I assumed most people were grouped in these kinda games.

Kinda strange to assume that the guy would straight up be on the enemy team but I just had Darius banned from me after selecting him in a game that was dodged. The enemy team seemed like the same enemies that dodged. Maybe the match making isn't too good in flex.
Match making is horrible in flex, but you'll see this happening for every single lobby in every single game mode.

Top Bottom