• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

zkylon

zkylewd
i like the new mode

it's pretty silly and it's really short

it's probably not worth putting into dozens of games but as a small thing it's pretty fun and flaying people feels pretty satisfying

Yeah they changed it for every region I'm pretty sure. It's really really bad though.
weird

i really wish the new client let you change your language already

JulianImp

weird

i really wish the new client let you change your language already

Actually, besides lacking several things the older client had, does the new one have any extra functionality the other one didn't?

All I can think of right now is the champion background in your profile, so I honestly wouldn't expect any new things to be implemented when most of the feature wishlist they compiled from fan feedback was about bringing old things back (such as not rounding the daily win bonus timer up to the nearest hour... like, why even do that in the first place?).

zkylon

zkylewd
some things added would be:
- reordering runepages and mastery pages
- change game settings from the launcher
- patch while client is open
- simple party system
- change game mode without having to start a group over

that's all i can think of right now, but there's probably a few more

i don't count replays or sandbox mode cos that's more like a game client thing

new client is buggy but it is an improvement and will be good once they patch it some more

drawkcaB

Played an Ivern game and it went so much better this time. Went a bit weirdo and max'ed Q first. So much more fun playing that way.

Nice to see some quick hot fixes for Sejuani and Zac.

zkylon

zkylewd
sejuani and zac hotfix is live, honestly i haven't seen a single mao, sej or zac since the patch, tho sej has been kind of permabanned so far

not sure how i feel about new banshees, i tried doing double dorans lost chapter into banshees against leblanc and i felt like i was kind of worthless and it doesn't feel like it adds much survivability (tho leblanc is specially good at popping the spellshield)

i tried building it after morellos against veigar and that was kind of really strong since basically veigar can't ever kill me 1v1 unless i make a big mistake, but it's probably only gonna be situational like that, which i guess it's ok, but it's gonna make midlane a lot more explosive not having everyone carrying a negatron cloak around

it's kinda nice cos that's a bigger hit to leblanc/ahri than ori/syndra, tho i guess you're really gonna have to land that stun against ahri now if you don't want to get instantly blown up

probably a positive change, the way you fix ahri is by nerfing her

I love that Abyssal is now a tank item. Now to decide whether to build it or SV.
not sure how good new abyssal is. i think it was kinda bad as far as cost efficiency is concerned so only build it if there's people in your team to take advantage of the passive

like if you're amumu and have an orianna or a rumble on your team it sounds great, but if you have mid jayce and toplane nautilus it's not gonna do all that much

Nev

Banned
Since when is Riot such a greedy mess?

Listen, we know you're not going to make as much money with a legendary skin for Yorick or Illaoi but do you really need to be so blatant? Are they really in that much need of money? The Ahri/Caitlyn/Yi monopoly is getting embarrassing and is soon to become a meme.

Actually, besides lacking several things the older client had, does the new one have any extra functionality the other one didn't?

All I can think of right now is the champion background in your profile, so I honestly wouldn't expect any new things to be implemented when most of the feature wishlist they compiled from fan feedback was about bringing old things back (such as not rounding the daily win bonus timer up to the nearest hour... like, why even do that in the first place?).

Practice tool and replays.

what if they added announcer packs

I'd enjoy that but I don't think it's a high priority.

JulianImp

Practice tool and replays.

Derp. Both were really welcome additions for sure, but I'd love it if they made it so that you could somehow share replays with friends through the in-game client somehow, since keeping them for yourself is kind of lame.

Just two more days until the old client's officially retired here in las... here's to hoping the new one's development goes along at a brisk enough pace that it soon gets the old features back and then some.

Gurrry

sejuani and zac hotfix is live, honestly i haven't seen a single mao, sej or zac since the patch, tho sej has been kind of permabanned so far

Jesus christ, that was too fast. Im far from a pro or knowing much about the meta or balance, but I think most rational companies wouldve atleast let it play out a few days before nerfing their newly reworked character.

Have a little confidence in your designers... jeeze

Im new to Sej, so all of this stuff is happening so fast for me. Like was she seriously too overpowered compared to characters like Yi and Warwick who wreck the jungle and become indestructible late game?

zkylon

zkylewd
Since when is Riot such a greedy mess?

Listen, we know you're not going to make as much money with a legendary skin for Yorick or Illaoi but do you really need to be so blatant? Are they really in that much need of money? The Ahri/Caitlyn/Yi monopoly is getting embarrassing and is soon to become a meme.

i don't think it's capital g Greed, just doesn't make much business sense to spend a lot of money making legendary skins for niche champions that won't be a big return on investment. they've done a number of 1350 skins on "niche" champions lately like dragonslayer xin zhao, dragon sorceress zyra, festival queen anivia (it's 975 but it's def 1350 quality), blood moon diana/tf/talon, star guardian poppy, etc. they've also already confirmed there are illaoi and yorick skins in the works for 2017

and caitlyn hadn't gotten a skin since late 2014 -__-

Jesus christ, that was too fast. Im far from a pro or knowing much about the meta or balance, but I think most rational companies wouldve atleast let it play out a few days before nerfing their newly reworked character.

Im new to Sej, so all of this stuff is happening so fast for me. Like was she seriously too overpowered compared to characters like Yi and Warwick who wreck the jungle and become indestructible late game?
that's not how it works tho

riot closes internal development on one patch a week prior to release for localization and QA, and during that week they're already working on the next patch, while live team is already preparing for balance based on the numbers they get when the patch hits

they mentioned that during development they did some late hour buffs to sejuani they weren't 100% confident on but didn't have the test data to confirm it. 24hrs later the game's been playing by 70 million people or whatever, that's enough data for them to hotfix

about her compared to other champions (idk why u say yi and ww, instead of lucian/ahri/ivern), they're monitoring these champions more closely cos they've been working on them for a long time, specially under the midseason patch. champions like yi and ww are probably gonna be indirectly affected by the changes so they're more on a wait and see. notice how they have nerfs for lulu and inven on pbe already, so it's not like they're ignoring the big ops

MaxiLive

It will be the designers making the call :p They have a hell of a lot more data than just win/loss rates and for each region so they can probably see almost instantly if something isn't working out. Not talking of balance here but full on broken.

I moved open to the Japan VO after the new mod tool got update but it looks like the patch may of broke that again :(

Most game companies don't have a playerbase as big as League's that can provide accurate feedback on balance outliers quickly. Sej is either permabanned or shitting on games while Zac is completely useless so I'd rather they act quickly on that than sit on their asses for 2 weeks while we lose one ban because Sej was released extremely overtuned.

Also neither Yi nor WW are nearly as strong as Sej currently is.

Gurrry

Most game companies don't have a playerbase as big as League's that can provide accurate feedback on balance outliers quickly.

Also neither Yi nor WW are nearly as strong as Sej currently is.

Yeah but the problem with that is that the loudest people get heard and the rest are left in the dust. Ive always had this complaint about balance in games. The top voted reddit post gets read and it starts to snowball into groupthink.

Im sure shes fine. Hell, I was playing her pre-rework and i loved her. My gripe here is that its super reactionary when you could have let it play out a few more days before making huge changes.

zkylon

zkylewd
I moved open to the Japan VO after the new mod tool got update but it looks like the patch may of broke that again :(
does that tool work with the new client?

if it does link me

Yeah but the problem with that is that the loudest people get heard and the rest are left in the dust. Ive always had this complaint about balance in games. The top voted reddit post gets read and it starts to snowball into groupthink.

Im sure shes fine. Hell, I was playing her pre-rework and i loved her. My gripe here is that its super reactionary when you could have let it play out a few more days before making huge changes.

it's not reactionary, pls read my post above

Riot has internal metrics for that, they don't need to actually ask people for their opinion, they can just see how Sej is performing.

Gurrry

it's not reactionary, pls read my post above

Just saw your edit. That does make more sense. The reason I mention WW and Yi is because im a purely casual player. That is what I see alot (along with Lee Sin) in my games.

Im gonna play a game with her and see how the changes effect her. Im sure it wont matter much, but I just dont want her to go from being my favorite character to being so weak that I have no choice but to play someone like a Sin or a WW.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just saw your edit. That does make more sense. The reason I mention WW and Yi is because im a purely casual player. That is what I see alot (along with Lee Sin) in my games.

Im gonna play a game with her and see how the changes effect her. Im sure it wont matter much, but I just dont want her to go from being my favorite character to being so weak that I have no choice but to play someone like a Sin or a WW.
her nerfs aren't that harsh, she'll be ok. i never actually got to see her since she was 100% banned lol

just remember (like nev above), that negative bias is a thing, and that maybe the balance changes YOU want are not being made but other balance changes that aren't huge are (7.7 had lissandra buffs, aatrox buffs, udyr buffs and none of those are for the loudest of voices)

Gurrry

Just played with new Sej nerf. Went 14-2 and got an S+ lol.

Id say the nerf didnt hurt my playstyle too much. I still think they need to change how the frost stacks work visually. Its too hard to see when youre in a big team fight. Overall though, it didnt really break her. She cant clear as well, but its nothing too bad.

Talents

Banned
Friendly inhouse reminder:
t1494021600z3.png

zkylon

zkylewd

Id say the nerf didnt hurt my playstyle too much. I still think they need to change how the frost stacks work visually. Its too hard to see when youre in a big team fight. Overall though, it didnt really break her. She cant clear as well, but its nothing too bad.
yeah, they should

i totally got that impression from watching the videos, you can't see those icons for shit

Gurrry

yeah, they should

i totally got that impression from watching the videos, you can't see those icons for shit

it really is a mess when theres spells popping off constantly in a team fight and the enemy moves out of your camera view. your E will be available, but you have no idea who its stacked on. I find myself just mashing E and clicking on everyone hoping to freeze them.

im tempted to buy the bear rider skin just so that I can get the orange stacks because I feel theyre much easier to see. but i really love my new poro skin, so im not gonna be changing off that any time soon lol.

faridmon

Been playing Maokai Jungle and man, his ult feels lumber some. Its really slow and dodgeble

I really like his other minor updates, and his stats is really nice.

drawkcaB

Been playing Maokai Jungle and man, his ult feels lumber some. Its really slow and dodgeble

I really like his other minor updates, and his stats is really nice.

I've been fooling around with him in customs and watching high elo player vids and I can't bring myself to actually trying him out.

I still thing giving his a shield component where the roots either shield allies or root enemies would be super interesting. My feeling is that Riot will end up increasing the projectile speed ramp up...which I fine I guess, but lacks flavor and doesn't address the "Nami's ult with a root" vibe his ult has going on right now.

Probably because her W isn't her problem at all. Well...a bit. The knock back on monsters makes her jungle clear too safe, but it was total shit for so long I'm ok with that.

i don't think it's capital g Greed, just doesn't make much business sense to spend a lot of money making legendary skins for niche champions that won't be a big return on investment. they've done a number of 1350 skins on "niche" champions lately like dragonslayer xin zhao, dragon sorceress zyra, festival queen anivia (it's 975 but it's def 1350 quality), blood moon diana/tf/talon, star guardian poppy, etc. they've also already confirmed there are illaoi and yorick skins in the works for 2017

and caitlyn hadn't gotten a skin since late 2014 -__-

I have a ... I think UNIQUE view on skins. I will buy a skin because I think it looks appealing even if I don't play the champ. Simply because it's time limited/ seasonal/ on sale and I THINK I could want to play that champ at some time in the future provided I learn that I like that champ.

For example I have That Red Black Ahri and Pop Ahri ... I have played 2 Ahri games ever. If I learn that I like her then great, I'll get Arcade to. I got Winter Karma and MAY get the new one even though I never play her cause I feel like they may mini-rework her at some point into something I "get" more. Or maybe I'll pick her up sometime. Most of my skin shards are for champs I don't have but may want to play after a rework (Eve, Akali, Irelia. Don't have Yorick so haven't upgraded his yet. Just upgraded some Sej skins cause she seems like a better solo lane tank thank fucking Poppy.) Not a collector, more like a lite investor.

Also a correction. They didn't say Illaoi and Yorick were getting shit this year. They said that the skins they're working on for them would be released sometime within the next 12 months ( we're half way through this year) .... meaning they can be out April 2018.

That being said I do see where they're coming from ... but that's not so say I agree or that they're "right".
At the end of the day I think it's all capital G greed.

It's capital G greed no doubt.

They know which champions are popular. They know attach rates to skins for said champion. They probably even have skin usage rates as well, which might influence the line of skins they work on.

It sucks that certain characters are left out. And the excuse of 'bu-bu-but it's been a year since they got a skin!' is stupid. Take Caitlyn for example. She has 7 skins not counting Pulse cait. Her last skin was January of last year. She'll probably, no, she'll definitely get another skin in 2018 if not sooner.

Yeah. Not great on the disparity of attention some of their characters get. \

zkylon

zkylewd
Also a correction. They didn't say Illaoi and Yorick were getting shit this year. They said that the skins they're working on for them would be released sometime within the next 12 months ( we're half way through this year) .... meaning they can be out April 2018.

That being said I do see where they're coming from ... but that's not so say I agree or that they're "right".
At the end of the day I think it's all capital G greed.
It's capital G greed no doubt.

They know which champions are popular. They know attach rates to skins for said champion. They probably even have skin usage rates as well, which might influence the line of skins they work on.

It sucks that certain characters are left out. And the excuse of 'bu-bu-but it's been a year since they got a skin!' is stupid. Take Caitlyn for example. She has 7 skins not counting Pulse cait. Her last skin was January of last year. She'll probably, no, she'll definitely get another skin in 2018 if not sooner.

Yeah. Not great on the disparity of attention some of their characters get. \
yea i got two of those wrong, my b. i missed the lunar revel cait skin cos the lolwiki section i was looking at just listed available skins and lunar revel cait is legacy. also i just screwed up with the other thing haha

anyways, reason i don't say capital g greed is because this is kind of a victimless crime. like i mentioned above, less popular are still getting skins, definitely not at the same rate as ahri but they do get skins. some don't, like swain, but it's got nothing to do with caitlyn, since swain is never gonna get a skin until he's reworked. some champions don't get a skin for unknown reasons like illaoi, but she's got a skin in the works, along with viktor and cassi and yorick so it's not like it's not happening, it just hasn't happened yet

meanwhile, skins for caitlyn or ahri or whatever are gonna bring a ton of money to riot which keeps the game running and whatnot. in the end it's a business and the game gets patched every two weeks and has awesome esports events and shit and something's gotta pay for that. you may argue that riot has more than enough money for that but i don't see anything wrong with them releasing good content that's gonna appeal to a large portion of their playerbase as a way of sustaining a game as huge as league

like if they were doing an ahri skin every month or something, or they overpriced a skin for a popular champion, or something else that's exploitative like that i'd be against it, but i can't argue with the good business sense of keeping a large portion of your playerbase happy.

also for reference, skins released in 2017:
cosmic master yi
dreadnova darius
god fist lee sin
april's fools skins for kogmaw, alistar, renekton and kennen
dragon sorceress zyra
dragonslayer xin zhao
carnival anivia
blood moon diana, tf, talon and jhin
heartseeker quinn and lucian

so like, there's definitely stuff for popular champions (yi, lee, jhin, lucian), but there's also stuff for more niche champions like diana, anivia and zyra. so idk, not saying there's "parity of attention", just saying negative bias is a big thing and there's not much reason to believe caitlyn getting a skin = illaoi not getting one

I have a ... I think UNIQUE view on skins. I will buy a skin because I think it looks appealing even if I don't play the champ. Simply because it's time limited/ seasonal/ on sale and I THINK I could want to play that champ at some time in the future provided I learn that I like that champ.

For example I have That Red Black Ahri and Pop Ahri ... I have played 2 Ahri games ever. If I learn that I like her then great, I'll get Arcade to. I got Winter Karma and MAY get the new one even though I never play her cause I feel like they may mini-rework her at some point into something I "get" more. Or maybe I'll pick her up sometime. Most of my skin shards are for champs I don't have but may want to play after a rework (Eve, Akali, Irelia. Don't have Yorick so haven't upgraded his yet. Just upgraded some Sej skins cause she seems like a better solo lane tank thank fucking Poppy.) Not a collector, more like a lite investor.
that's dumb, but i buy skins for collectionism's sake so i can't really blame you for being dumb heh

Top Bottom