• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cannot Get into Breaking Bad. Should I Keep Watching?

Fercho

Honestly, if you didn't connected to the show and Walter's character at this point, i don't think you should waste your time. Just be aware that seasons 4 and 5 are like the best television ever made.

It's funny, it's like you either connect with the show and think it is the best shit ever (like me) or you think it is totally lame and boring (like my girlfriend). I haven't found "meh" people yet.

MaulerX

I don't think it's for you OP. If you're almost done with season 1 and you find it boring then I doubt it'll get much better for you if you keep watching.

Personally at the end of the first episode I already knew BB was something special and just binged it.

TheYanger

Lol, I really thought I'd like it after all the hype. I will probably at least finish Season 1, but what happens after that, we'll see.

I don't know if I can realistically compare it to something yet, but so far it's not giving me reasons to care about anything that's happening.

That said, I can name a show that started great and then degenerated into an irreparable mess: Lost. Sounds like Breaking Bad is the opposite of that?

No, breaking bad was great the entire time, it got significantly BETTER as it went along, but if you're not interested after the first season then stop.

Phased

I actually don't like the first season much. It's ok, but it's far from great. It's slow, not much happens and I found it pretty goddamn boring.

It isn't until Season 2 that it starts to pick up for me. One thing that is consistent is every season gets significantly better. By the end it's just fantastic, however I was extremely bored with Season 1 yet I find the final season to be among the best on TV.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I say no. The show's vastly overrated.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a show that takes it's time and doesn't go a thousand miles an hour. But Breaking Bad just isn't written well enough to support it.

Ishan

my experience with it was strange saw the first 3-4 eps didnt get into it. Saw the last few end of season 5a and then started 5b caught up on everything in between before series ended.

So I get you op but once I saw the whole picture def worth it. Consider it one of my top shows rewatch parts of episodes. But Im completely okay with spoilerly things (as is obvious by my skip to season 5) so if you can do that and shift back and forth like me def worth it all. If you need to trudge thru it dunno

Zero315

Banned
GET

THE

FUCK

OUT

They're right though, and I like Mad Men. Outside of some very good episodes its mostly boring and filled with terrible plot lines, some of which have little to no payoff. The less said about the final season the better...

As far as Breaking Bad though, it didn't really click for me until season 2, but if you're really not enjoying it then just drop it.

Clydefrog

check out big Bang theory

I7Lkzer.gif

aravuus

I personally thought it got much much muuuuuuch better around the end of season 2 or at the start of season 3. First two seasons were okay but boring, seasons 3 to 5 are probably some of my favorite TV ever.

Fargo and westworld are not better than BB. Good shows, but not better.

Season 1 of Fargo is the best fucking thing ever and I won't hear anyone say otherwise!

Neith

Banned
Barely ever watch TV. This had me glued to the screen like a Hollywood best picture fest. Amazing work all around. Once in a generation show.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I rewatched it a few years ago when I was introducing it to someone and season 1 came across really slow the second time. Definitely kicks up a notch in Season 2. Stick with it and if you don't enjoy it after a few eps of S2 then it's OK if it's not for you.

robochimp

If you find it downright boring by the end of season 1 then you obviously shouldn't continue. It's not going to shift dramatically into becoming a different kind of show.

Yes it does, I vaguely remember S2 E4 being the point where the show just launches and never looks back exponentially raising the stakes every episode right until the end.

Nev

Banned
I gave up when I finished season 2 and I found myself still fighting with me to finish the episodes. Such pretentious snoozefest.

Take that episode with Walter fixing stuff home for example, what a great piece of entertainment, the character development and build-up is astonishing. Too bad 40 minutes of a guy fixing a pipeline and shopping in a hardware store makes me want to go to bed.

That said, drug stuff do nothing for me. Wow you sell drugs and you have family drama you're so edgy and mature. Bye.

For me a lot of the season 1 stuff was more gripping as a character-driven drama because it was about this guy trying to put on a mask and play a part that he wasn't really fit to play and a lot of the dramatic tension came out of this conflict between fake Walt and the family Walt. He was not this legendary gangster criminal but he faked it well enough to get himself from A to B and that was really exciting. And I found the more low-key cancer drama interesting also.

But as the seasons progressed it became more about this old sick guy being a badass and making his wife pissed off at him and it got really repetitive. Some of the ways they try to tie things together got more and more contrived with the ricin stuff in one of the seasons and Hank on the toilet reading Walt Whitman or whatever it was. It got to become more like a graphic novel adaptation, which is where my interest in it wained.

Walt power fantasy?

Man was a straight egomaniac.

The show presents his descent into madness as a new development, when in reality he lost it long ago.

This is well illustrated by his utterly moronic refusal to ask for help because it would hurt his tender ego.

Lari

I don't think you should force yourself to watch something just because other people praise it.

If you legitimately get nothing out of it just move on, there's plenty other stuff to see.

That said, it could also be a time and place thing and trying it again in a few days/months/years could make quite a difference.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

The show presents his descent into madness as a new development, when in reality he lost it long ago.

This is well illustrated by his utterly moronic refusal to ask for help because it would hurt his tender ego.
You say this almost like it's an issue with the writing when you're just describing what the writers wanted you to see.

Breaking Bad is mainly about characters. There will be some extremely intense moments, but if you don't enjoy character development then you should stop watching.
Yeah. I think the show mostly shines with it's characters (+acting), character dynamics and tension between said characters and their dynamics. Sure, shit happens, they're involved in drugs after all, and I can relate to people saying "it's a slow show", but concrete shit still happens all the time.

I think Breaking Bad is one of the greats.

It's ok not to like it. Stop watching. Or keep watching.

I didn't like The Wire, so I stopped watching. I didn't come ask GAF should I stay or should I go.
Only reason I didn't ask was I'm a junior.

This show should age really well so if you're not into it now you might like it later on. You just might not be in the mood for something like BB. Show preferences can change over time, what do you enjoy OP?

JS3DX

I started watching the show based on word of mouth, and I'm nearing the end of Season 1. However, so far it's been utterly boring. So boring that I'm wondering if I should continue watching or go find something else.

My best friend says it gets better, but not until way later in the show. Either way, I'm not seeing anything particularly mindblowing about the show yet.

It may seem weird, but the absolute "maybe it's not for me point" it's Season 3: If you didn't like S1 and S2, it's ok, it's a lot of character building and (maaaaybe) little payoff, but on the long run, it makes S3 sooo much better. If you don't feel it yet, THEN it's not for you. Enjoy the ride!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Even though you may like the show more later as it gets crazier, to me BrBa is pretty great from the start. Overall I think the first season is actually better than the second. It's funny when people say the show is slow when the pilot has Walt going from goody two shoes to cooking meth and getting his first kill over the span of 50 minutes. I'd say it's one of the best pilot episodes of any series. Rest of the season just builds on that. I watched the full BrBa run for the third time after BCS s3 and was hooked again just like the first time. Boring is the last word I'd choose to describe any of this show's episodes.

Zakalwe

Banned

Oh, I thought you were talking about a power fantasy from the viewer's perspective.

Walt didn't have a power fantasy in that he actually became powerful. There was no fantasy. He had an ego problem, which was his boon and his bane, and ultimately his ruin.

Sheroking

Fargo S2 is excellent. Easily as good as the best of BB

Fargo's first two seasons are up there with Breaking Bad, and I actually thought S1 was the best season of TV that year.

That's not pulling Breaking Bad down, though, I just think that highly of Fargo.

Sarye

I didn't like the show either. You're not required to like everything popular and we're in a TV renaissance where there are so many other "must watch" shows out there and not enough time to watch them all.

Just pick up something that is to your liking.

AlphaMale

I started watching the show based on word of mouth, and I'm nearing the end of Season 1. However, so far it's been utterly boring. So boring that I'm wondering if I should continue watching or go find something else.

My best friend says it gets better, but not until way later in the show. Either way, I'm not seeing anything particularly mindblowing about the show yet.

I'm with you on that. I watched all of Season 1 and thought it was pretty "meh". Gave Season 2 a shot and watched 2 episodes before pulling the plug on it.

It's just not for me. Maybe I'm just not enamoured or curious about the drug life cuz I grew up around it in my real life? I dunno...

toneroni

Its one of the GOATs.. I'd try it for a bit longer and then stop if you don't like it.
Different strokes for diff folks ya know?

Top Bottom