• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

NEO0MJ

TJ Maximum > Panzerfaust

Plus, he has a badass ride.
Though if I had to only choose one skullboy it would probably be Big Band.

090619_maximum03.jpg

Ravidrath

I'm still pumped to get in on this day one, but I will also be patient to not jump in right away when I get home from work and read the impressions for the online.

I actually disliked GGPO on SF3 Online, but think GGPO on PC is excellent. If the online is turdish like SF3's approach I may wait and see then.

SF3's GGPO was tacked onto a long-completed game, whereas we built ours around it. So I believe that will make some difference.

On top of that, we give you a numerical ping, the ability to change GGPO settings every time you connect to a new player, and a recommended setting for that match based on the ping.

zlatko

Banned
SF3's GGPO was tacked onto a long-completed game, whereas we built ours around it. So I believe that will make some difference.

On top of that, we give you a numerical ping, the ability to change GGPO settings every time you connect to a new player, and a recommended setting for that match based on the ping.

Yeah I remember reading that before. I'm still in the camp to wait for first impressions on the first day to make sure that as long as you tinker around with the settings you can get a good match.

I'm already up to my ears in fighters, and I want to support you guys for all your awesome work here, but SkullGirls doesn't click with me art style wise. If it plays damn well online, then I can at least get my money's worth with buddies who are into it and GAF. Plus, hopefully it sends you guys on your way to bigger funding in the future for even more bad ass fighters.

Peacock
Skullgirls Demo Pt.5
Skullgirls Demo Pt.6
Skullgirls Demo Pt.23 Steamroller madness
Cerebella
Skullgirls Demo Pt.8
Skullgirls Demo Pt.14
Painwheel
Skullgirls Demo Pt.25 Extended combos
Skullgirls Demo Pt.27 Making good use of fly cancels
Valentine/Filia tag team
Skullgirls Demo Pt.32
Skullgirls Demo Pt.34

Super Norcal Install

Just something to tide people over. The Norcall footage starts Skullgirls at the two hour mark and there is a lot of high level play. The end matches are fantastic.
What's that got to do with anything?
I might be able to provide some footage based on your answer. Lots of people here haven't been following the game for that long. That stream was also meh quality as far as everyone else is concerned. Archived stuff is better.
Is there still an online training mode? That's been one of the features that sold me on the game.
It may be patched in.

mattwooliesmall.png

How did I miss this on the 2nd page? I've been through this thread at least twice, but it was only brought to my attention now! AWESOME! Ravidrath, where did you find it?

FUNFACT: We would have picked up every bill, but it was deathly cold outside, and the money had already adhered to the ice, we ran back inside instead of picking them up.

Ravidrath

Believe it or not, that is not the first Skullgirls x MLP piece of fan art that I've seen.

I've also seen the opposite...

http://emlan.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4qdln0

mattwooliesmall.png

How did I miss this on the 2nd page? I've been through this thread at least twice, but it was only brought to my attention now! AWESOME! Ravidrath, where did you find it?

FUNFACT: We would have picked up every bill, but it was deathly cold outside, and the money had already adhered to the ice, we ran back inside instead of picking them up.

A fan artist that drew some Skullboys for the Gender Bent Fan Art Friday drew that, and I saw it on their page. The same one that drew that Manegirls link up there, even!

http://emlan.deviantart.com/

We all had a chuckle that we have fan art of fan art now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Am I the only one who thinks it's fine to keep the cast all-female?

Panzerfaust is a cool design and all, but I assume a game with the title of Skullgirls would be all-girls, and would like to keep that.

If I want manly dudebros, I got my KOF Raiden/Ralf/Maxima team. That said, I hope this game gives me a good break from KOF.

Do you expect all the fights in Street Fighter to be on a street too?

Or I guess they should rename "Dead or Alive" to "KO or Alive"?

;)

There will be males in the game, but the ratio is gonna be like 8:2 or something

I'm loving the seemingly natural synergy that Peacock/Ms.Fortune have on a two man team, the Nyantiair just hits at the perfect angle to aid in Peacock's keepaway game and I can imagine that Fortune can only benefit from additional pressure from projectiles when she has her head on. Ms.Fortune is one of those characters that I wasn't too excited about early on but who's overall concept has really grown on me since development. It doesn't hurt that I see her as an awesome mixture of two of my mains in other games; C-Ryougi (MeltyBlood) and Viola (SCV).

It's going to be interesting to see people start to incorporate Peacock's big bomb super when it comes time to get your point character out. Any blocked super -> Big Bomb DHC is going to be a really good reason to put Peacock (or Double for the same reason with catellites) on the second slot of a team.

Thanks for the vids Solar, it was nice going through them again. ;)

El Sloth

Banned
I'm loving the seemingly natural synergy that Peacock/Ms.Fortune have on a two man team, the Nyantiair just hits at the perfect angle to aid in Peacock's keepaway game and I can imagine that Fortune can only benefit from additional pressure from projectiles when she has her head on. Ms.Fortune is one of those characters that I wasn't too excited about early on but who's overall concept has really grown on me since development. It doesn't hurt that I see her as an awesome mixture of two of my mains in other games; C-Ryougi (MeltyBlood) and Viola (SCV).
Yeah, Fortune's dp covers a real nice angle and it looks like you can get a combo off of it too.

That Painwheel player in those vids is really scary. The guy is super aggressive and had some nice fly shenanigans. I imagine he'd be even more terrifying with something like one of Cerebella's grabs as an assist.

Dachande

I might be able to provide some footage based on your answer. Lots of people here haven't been following the game for that long. That stream was also meh quality as far as everyone else is concerned. Archived stuff is better.

Oh, I see. I thought you were going to say something about me complaining or sommat.

No, that's fine, thanks, I was just annoyed that they started a live stream that I was interested in watching at that moment at time, and then just stopped after three matches or something. At the same time I had to watch a bunch of dicks in the chat whine about how they think it looks crap and a game for pervs and blah blah blah, all the usual shit, and they want to see nothing but bloody Marvel, which may well have contributed to the streamer's decision to turn it off and go to something else.

It's like, yeah, thanks for all the hard work for the people who came on specifically to watch Skullgirls. It's not like it's the next big fighting release or whatever. Grr.

That Painwheel player in those vids is really scary. The guy is super aggressive and had some nice fly shenanigans. I imagine he'd be even more terrifying with some like one of Cerebella's grabs as an assist.

I dunno, the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that Painwheel is a liability on a team format when shes not on point, mainly due to her lackluster assist options. It just leads me to believe that she'll only be effective on team formats where :

1. She's solo
2. She's complimented with an assist character that doesn't really need much assistance when she's on point. (Parasoul comes to mind, her corridor assist would give something for her opponents to fear when she's up close and Parasoul does well without any extra help)
3. She's on a three character team where another character is picking up the slack for her lack of a decent (from what I can tell at least) assist.

Well, that price point has certainly piqued my interest but... where does this game rank in terms of accessibility for someone who had a rough time learning to play MvC3? pretty much the same? -- I've always been a better spectator then player when it came to (competitive) fighters, my hand-eye coordination is really put to the test by them.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well, that price point has certainly piqued my interest but... where does this game rank in terms of accessibility for someone who had a rough time learning to play MvC3? pretty much the same? -- I've always been a better spectator then player when it came to (competitive) fighters, my hand-eye coordination is really put to the test by them.

This game tutorial is so deep it actually teaches you how to play fighting games, period. Covers basics, advanced stuff and introduces you to the terminology. Its one of the most noob accessible fighers ever.

What exactly did you have trouble with when it came to Marvel 3?

Skullgirls is probably a tad slower than marvel 3 so speed wise it may be easier to adjust to.
Combos in the game are probably going to be less pick up and go because different characters have different buttons for launchers but you can still do something like LP MP HP Super in a game like Skullgirls and be mildly successful.

The great thing about the game is that if you find yourself having more difficulty with a team based format and with juggling assists then you can switch to a solo char with buffed health and damage and run that as your main setup. You get great damage off of simple combos and can ease yourself into it a bit more at your own pace.

Just hit up that tutorial when you pick it up, hopefully it'll put you on the right track.

This game tutorial is so deep it actually teaches you how to play fighting games, period. Covers basics, advanced stuff and introduces you to the terminology. Its one of the most noob accessible fighers ever.

Sounds good to me, I'm sold (I really love the art direction too but I wanted to make sure I'd actually enjoy the game). Thanks!

What exactly did you have trouble with when it came to Marvel 3?

Skullgirls is probably a tad slower than marvel 3 so speed wise it may be easier to adjust to.
Combos in the game are probably going to be less pick up and go because different characters have different buttons for launchers but you can still do something like LP MP HP Super in a game like Skullgirls and be mildly successful.

The great thing about the game is that if you find yourself having more difficulty with a team based format and with juggling assists then you can switch to a solo char with buffed health and damage and run that as your main setup. You get great damage off of simple combos and can ease yourself into it a bit more at your own pace.

Just hit up that tutorial when you pick it up, hopefully it'll put you on the right track.

Nice, that sounds awesome. As far as MvC3 goes, it was simply too fast and kind of too much for me. And again, thanks for the info guys.

For some reason, Painwheel is the only character I have zero interest in, and I don't know why. I like zombies and monster shit, but the character does not grab me in the slightest.

I'm more of a Valentine/Cerebella dood.

Unrelated, but to your post... but why did you make Guybrush Threepwood's hair in your avatar longer? ;P

I always thought Spaniard's avatar was:

kaede.gif

Kaede, from Last Blade.

El Sloth

Banned
I figured Spaniard's avatar was himself.

I dunno, the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that Painwheel is a liability on a team format when shes not on point, mainly due to her lackluster assist options. It just leads me to believe that she'll only be effective on team formats where :

1. She's solo
2. She's complimented with an assist character that doesn't really need much assistance when she's on point. (Parasoul comes to mind, her corridor assist would give something for her opponents to fear when she's up close and Parasoul does well without any extra help)
3. She's on a three character team where another character is picking up the slack for her lack of a decent (from what I can tell at least) assist.
What exactly about her makes her seem like a liability for you? Because really, you could say those first 2 points about any of the other characters in the game. I'm sure the last point will resolve itself eventually since Painwheel players will find something from her movelist that compliments their teams.

Custom assists really is such a simple, but brilliant thing.

I think her fly/un-fly cancels will give her some great pressure in her rushdown, especially in the corner, with instant overheads and high low shenanigans. And a Painwheel who uses her hatred guard moves well will be able to put a fear in the opponent's head about recklessly throwing out attacks when she's in their face.

I can't think of anything other than maybe supers that makes her any more of a liability than say Filia.

I figured Spaniard's avatar was himself.

What exactly about her makes her seem like a liability for you? Because really, you could say those first 2 points about any of the other characters in the game. I'm sure the last point will resolve itself eventually since Painwheel players will find something from her movelist that compliments their teams.

I've seen nothing from her special moves that would make me believe she has much to offer in assist form because she's unable to have her charged hatred guard normals or charged special moves as assist options. What you're left with is, at best, lackluster projectiles and combo extenders that will scale like crazy. Her antiair blockable grab special is a joke for use as a traditional antiair assist due to lack of range and invincibility.

The only semi-valuable assist I've heard mention of is her cr.MP as a pseudo (very) close range lockdown. Obviously we're gonna need to test that when everyone has their hands on the game.

Regarding the first two points being attributed to every character in the game I really have to disagree. There are some pretty definitive (intentionally designed) weaknesses in some of the characters that really lend themselves to being compensated by with an assist. Peacock + Antiair assist comes to mind with that.

The second point was about making a two man team in such a way as to minimize the seemingly lackluster assist options that Painwheel has available to her. Obviously the ideal setup is where all characters on a team are benefiting from the assist options available to them as it fleshes out the team more.

Custom assists really is such a simple, but brilliant thing.

Agreed, which is why I made sure to say that she seemed to lack a good assist instead of stating as proof positive.

I think her fly/un-fly cancels will give her some great pressure in her rushdown, especially in the corner, with instant overheads and high low shenanigans. And a Painwheel who uses her hatred guard moves well will be able to put a fear in the opponent's head about recklessly throwing out attacks when she's in their face.

I think Painwheel is an absolutely phenomenal character in the match and I agree with everything regarding her fly/un-fly pressure and variable rushdown ability. Frankly I think she's one of the best characters in the game when she's, ya know, actually in the game.

I can't think of anything other than maybe supers that makes her any more of a liability than say Filia.

Filia gives a team an invincible antiair super that has very fast startup and a semi-lockdown assist with her hairball. Nothing I've seen from Painwheel's assist pool comes close to the usefulness of those moves. If nothing else, Painwheel has DHC options with death crawl and the Hatred Install utility super so you don't have to worry on that front.

Me and my buddy are gonna try so hard to promote this at game centers here. Force the local Japanese players to DL that shizzle off the US store so we can get our play on.

Dachande

Me and my buddy are gonna try so hard to promote this at game centers here. Force the local Japanese players to DL that shizzle off the US store so we can get our play on.

Have you "tested the waters", so to speak, at all? What sort of response have you been getting from that kind of crowd? I'm curious to know how they react to it since there hasn't been a serious non-Japanese fighter entry for years...

Tizoc

There should be guides on NeoGAF with how to make a US account. Accouts made with Maryland as their address don't charge taxes.
...then use BestBuy.com and get PSN Cash codes for 20-50 dollars~

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If PSN is getting it first, I'll be grabbing it there tomorrow then. Will likely double-dip, so:

PSN: lyteedge2
360: lyte edge

USA Southeast

Please only add me if you actually play fighting games for more than a week after release. :p

Have you "tested the waters", so to speak, at all? What sort of response have you been getting from that kind of crowd? I'm curious to know how they react to it since there hasn't been a serious non-Japanese fighter entry for years...

I'd love to hear some reaction from that market too. I recall Sakonoko saying it looked neat, right?

Kajiba

I would love to see sabine later in this game. Pirate zombie fighting character just sounds dope.

Need to see that.

First reviews hitting the fan! IGN video review is up! (Haven't even clicked it yet!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1u038WaRX8

Edit : Pretty glowing review I think. Im a little disappointed that the editor was so held up on the visual aspects of the game and didn't really touch on the tutorial mode at all or the various training mode options (hitbox viewer!)

Raging Spaniard

Wait Spaniard's avatar isn't Cody from Final Fight?

;_;

Well, to be fair, thats the closest since I did do a Cody alt when SF IV came out (which I cant find anywhere online, lovely)

First reviews hitting the fan! IGN video review is up! (Haven't even clicked it yet!)

Edit : Pretty glowing review I think. Im a little disappointed that the editor was so held up on the visual aspects of the game and didn't really touch on the tutorial mode at all or the various training mode options (hitbox viewer!)

lololololololol dat psycho ai

he probably didn't mention the training modes because there's in game movelist =/

Crocodile

For the Lazy:
+Game looks AMAZING (Artstyle, Animation, etc.)
+Awesome, over-the-top cast of characters
+Netcode is great
+Gameplay is awesome
-Needs more SP content
-Arcade Mode is HARD (every reviewer says this about every FG but it's rarely true)
-Y U NO have movelists?

Final Score: 8.5

Rarely do reviewers talk about stuff like that. Maybe in the even haunts or iPW crew does one for 1up, but usually that kind of stuff is glossed over.

Top Bottom