• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: Kiwami |OT| Mitama Hunter feat. Hatsuho Miku and Friends

Recall

So about to finish up chapter 10 and I've been grinding mats quite a lot for the better weapons. It's quite cool that I've managed to get this far without any need or desire to grind but these new Kiwami weapons are worth it.

Tried to dabble with the online features but it seems no one else is playing :(

Quick (probably stupid) question... I have all my Mitamis currently at level 3. Will the temple lady eventually "learn" how to get them to higher levels, or level 3 is the maximum? Thanks!

eastx

Quick (probably stupid) question... I have all my Mitamis currently at level 3. Will the temple lady eventually "learn" how to get them to higher levels, or level 3 is the maximum? Thanks!

You have to get farther in the single-player campaign for her to start raising them to higher levels.

Recall

I've hit a brick wall that has killed my momentum and my fun. My item limit for item storage is only at 500 and it is full, making every hunt a chore to sell items which I don't know how vital they are to my progress along with there being no way to know which quest needs completing to raise my item limit higher.

Searching online has come back with no clear response on which quests relate to the item storage limit. Chapter 11 and I'm done.

Ogawa-san

You have to complete Tatara quests to increase your storage. There are 7 of them, they're named "The Materials Chest (x)". The space for materials caps at 1400, and at that point you won't ever need to make space again. The last time I sold something for that reason was still in the first game.

Those quests won't unlock in a sequence, I think, so you gotta keep doing other quests to make them show up.

Ogawa-san

That doesn't really matter. Since you can only have 5 quests up at once, you're more or less forced to do them all to make space for new ones.

mrsmr2

I've learned to only accept quests that involve killing the Oni as they need to be selected before the kills count towards quest progress.

I only select item quests if I've already got the materials to complete the quest.

That normally gives me 2 or 3 free quest selections.

Recall

So it was getting 3 Edax Hornbits that was holding me back. I sent Soma to go fight Chapter 5 Edax as I worked through the rest of my chapter and after 9 attempts I got what I needed to unlock the equipment chest upgrade and then the material chest upgrade quest appeared and now I'm at 900 item space, yay!

Now for my next hurdle is I'm at the mission where I fight the final chapter 11 mission but it is me fighting a new ONI by myself and it just destroys me in 3 hits. I can't go grind previous missions due to story reasons and I'm stuck. This is going to take me a while to defeat.

I miss my AI buddies :'(

As a side note would any PS4 users be up to do some online content? I'm free all day today and most of tomorrow? There seems to be no one playing when looking through lobbies so thought maybe we could make one at least for a few hours? PSN is RecallBerserk

Is there any way to increase drop chances of high level materials ?

I'm trying to get Cloth of Light from ULT Panthera but after killing 9 of them still nothing.

Also what triggers special request from the tree ? I missed previous chances but i still need to make it at least once for trophy.

Shengar

Is there any way to increase drop chances of high level materials ?

I'm trying to get Cloth of Light from ULT Panthera but after killing 9 of them still nothing.

Also what triggers special request from the tree ? I missed previous chances but i still need to make it at least once for trophy.

Sadly there is none and you are on the mercy of desire sensor :(
If it's a purifiable material (from the oni dead body I reckon), then you can increase your chance by having Greed and Appraisal skill. I don't know if it's gonna work though.

Anyway, does anyone know which armor set that gives you Knowledge skill?

Heya, I have a few questions :)

1. Why are there SO MANY Mitamas in the game, do you really need to use like most of them, or they are only there for "collection"?

2. I use the long sword which is currently +8... how far can it be upgraded and what is the advantage of creating a new weapon (say another long sword)?

3. I'm in the middle of chapter 3 with 12 hours into the game... how much does it need to complete? I don't want to start playing another game before finishing off this one, so it seems MGS5 will have to wait a looong while!

Thanks!

Heya, I have a few questions :)

1. Why are there SO MANY Mitamas in the game, do you really need to use like most of them, or they are only there for "collection"?

2. I use the long sword which is currently +8... how far can it be upgraded and what is the advantage of creating a new weapon (say another long sword)?

3. I'm in the middle of chapter 3 with 12 hours into the game... how much does it need to complete? I don't want to start playing another game before finishing off this one, so it seems MGS5 will have to wait a looong while!

Thanks!
1- Mitama have different skills and you won't know what is the next skill unless you level them up ( since you can keep only 3 skill active ).
Your goal is to get the right skills for the way you play. You're very encouraged to try new mitama in order to get better skills to have life easier as you play
Each mitama categoory change the way you play ( stats or actions ) changing mitama as support also help when you know you're going to solo or if you know that some bosses gonna need some weakness to something. it make your build versatile and effective.

2- upgrades got to +9
Change your weapon often , no only your weapon can have elemental attributes ( and some bosses are weak/resistant to those ) , but even if a new weapon has slightly less base stats than your upgraded weapon , by upgrading your new weapon , you'll get better stats in the long run !
So upgrade your weapon , but change your weapon often

3- You're at 15% of the story, and less than 4% if you want to get everything
Toukiden is a long game
You have 13 chapters of story and i'm not even counting the phases/mission for co-op or online.

Thanks a lot for the extensive reply, I appreciate that. I will try other weapons from now on as so far I always played with the same weapon, which is now set at +9.

One last thing, whats the advantage of creating a new weapon? Or that's just a way to select a new type of weapon?

Thanks again!

Thanks a lot for the extensive reply, I appreciate that. I will try other weapons from now on as so far I always played with the same weapon, which is now set at +9.

One last thing, whats the advantage of creating a new weapon? Or that's just a way to select a new type of weapon?

Thanks again!

Let's make something clear ( sorry about my english ) :
For the basis of the argument let's say that you have a sword +8

Then you go see tatara and you can either ( best weapon he can craft at that point ):

- create a divine sword
- create a divine bow

1) The divine sword will have -4 in atk than your current sword+8, you create this weapon, knowing that not only you'll have better elemental stats , more slots for mitama ( on the weapon ), you'll get better ATK once you reach: divine sword +1 or +2... So at some point it's no contest , your divine sword will be a better choice than your sword ( better stats )

2) The divine bow , like all the bows , once equipped will change the way you attack, being a bow , maybe you'll change your mitama build ( because bow can play on either precision or focus ) so it's not a bad idea to try new mitama ( with new skills ) so you can take advantage of the bow attacks ( like purifying oni body part from long range , something you can't do with a sword ) or maybe you can take advantage of this change to try a focus build where each attack make you can focus , so you can use the bow ( CIRCLE ) skills more often.
or maybe you can try critical/charged attack , while your teammate gather aggro or maybe you can play like Nagi does and be a full support character that heals. There are multiple possibilities.

Creating new weapon , let you level up your stats so you can be better prepared for the challenges ahead. Some boss will require better gear because they will have that much health , or maybe their defense bar is bigger , who knows :p
So if you're at chapter 4 , you're not going to use the starting weapon of that class , so you have to create the weapon for the type of ennemies you'll have to defeat.

A random question has appeared =)

I am using a dual blade thingy that has two Mitami bound to it. How do I switch between Mitami during battle? Or it doesn't work like that thanks!

maouvin

A random question has appeared =)

I am using a dual blade thingy that has two Mitami bound to it. How do I switch between Mitami during battle? Or it doesn't work like that thanks!

You can't swap them. Having a second/third mitama only gives you access to their three passive abilities. The active ones, as well the specific ability for each mitama type, are only from your first mitama.

Xenoflare

Ok, how do you get Saika Magoitchi in Kiwami? I got him in a Windshredder mission in Chapter 3 called "Winds on the Battefield" Iin the vanilla version and it's not showing up at all in Kiwami and I've did the battle 8 times. I started the game fresh with a new save.

Did Kiwami changed the Mitama locations of the old ones?

Shengar

Ok, how do you get Saika Magoitchi in Kiwami? I got him in a Windshredder mission in Chapter 3 called "Winds on the Battefield" Iin the vanilla pversion and it's not showing up at all in Kiwami and I've did the battle 8 times. I started the game fresh with a new save.

Did Kiwami changed the Mitama locations of the old ones?
No they didn't change
Same happened to me with Saigo Takamori, 10 pyrogrinder and nothing while my fruend randomly got it
We're just unlucky

Is cross-save supported across different regional versions of the game? I was looking at buying a U.S. copy of the PS4 version, but I own a EU copy of the Vita version. Would I be able to transfer my save to the console version and continue playing, in spite of the regional differences?

So I just finished Toukiden: Kiwami (well, Chapter 12, is there anything really story related in 13?) and just came here to gush.

I went in blind after the Humble Bundle sale and man, it was great fun. I didn't know much about the game, only that it fairly resembled MH. I've never even played MH, but thought I'd try an MH-type game one day. Low and behold, T:K came.

I didn't expect there to be a story in the game. I don't know if MH has one, but I've never heard anyone mention story alongside MH, so I didn't expect one aside from bare minimum in T:K. So I was floored at having an actual fleshed out story. It's not anything special, but man, it has a lot of charm to it. I was invested in the characters and it was nice. I didn't know what to expect, so when Chapter 5 finished, I was like 'please don't be the end, please let there be more'. I thought there would be more, but one can never be too sure, especially given how Chapter 6 and 7 are laid out.

Thankfully there was more, and it was another fun romp through the game.

Getting on to the gameplay, again, only knowing basic things about MH, I went into it just hoping I'd do well. I enjoyed having a lot of weapons to choose from and even though there is a lot of repetition (which I expected from an MH-esque game) I think weapon variety can help eleviate that tired feeling of fighting the same monster type yet again. In my playthrough, I started with the Naginata, then went on to a Spear, then the Club, then briefly messed with the Rifle, then onto Dual Fists, then finally back to the Club again.

I started getting the hang of the game when I first used the Club, so I might not have been properly utilising the Naginata and Spear. That said, I really like the Club and Dual Fists. My weapon switches were generally caused by seeing whatever weapon I could make at a given point in time. So for instance I went onto Dual Fists because I could make a strong weapon whereas I was lacking material for the Club equivalent. I felt like that was a neat and simple way to be able to test out multiple weapons, rather then tie myself down to just one. The rifle was by far the hardest or at least weirdest to utilise, but I wanted a weapon to combat fast/jumpy monsters, as the Club was too slow, and I think it helped a lot. I still wasn't wholly comfortable with it, but it felt good. I briefly trained with Bow, but opted for the Rifle for a short while. The Dual Fists were surprisingly good against fast enemies too, so I dropped the Rifle quickly.

It does give me plenty of reason to continue playing though, as I never touched the sword or dual knives or the chain and sickle. I can also utilise different Mitama setups now too. The first half of the game, I mainly utilised a Healing Mitama, but in the second half I started dominating enemies using Defence Mitama's. I loved how they progressed too, adding 1 extra and then 2 extra. Then you get an extra ability for maxed Mitama's (so like another Mitama slot really). The game just felt like it was continuously rewarding, and I loved it. I also liked the little I played using a Luck Mitama. Definitely more there to test out in the future.

Okay, I don't want to go on too long, but I wanted to at least touch upon the Quest structure. It was the weakest part of the game for me. From not knowing where/how to get items (other then just blindly running around picking things up or paying close attention to monster drops) to stuff triggering randomly. I finished chapter 12 with 500 max item slot, which meant I was selling stuff to accomodate new stuff. I assumed Tatara's levelling up your capacity was finished, but apparently it's hidden behind a random quest? Hell, I have quest given to me in chapter 1 and 2 that I never completed because I have no idea where to get things from. And some of those are tied to main characters, meaning their companion level went up slowly.

One other thing, I would've liked more random running around an Age killing small mobs missions, rather than just more and more repeated Boss missions. This was more pronounced in the second half, and mission structures became even more repetetive.

Okay, that's all! I just wanted to quickly talk about my enjoyment of the game. 2015 had been a weak year for me, both in terms of my own expectation of games and the expectation game devs put on games. I went into T:K with little expectation and came away loving it. I am sooo looking forward to Toukiden 2.

tl;dr I loved Toukiden: Kiwami

ZeroAKA

Okay, I don't want to go on too long, but I wanted to at least touch upon the Quest structure. It was the weakest part of the game for me. From not knowing where/how to get items (other then just blindly running around picking things up or paying close attention to monster drops) to stuff triggering randomly. I finished chapter 12 with 500 max item slot, which meant I was selling stuff to accomodate new stuff. I assumed Tatara's levelling up your capacity was finished, but apparently it's hidden behind a random quest? Hell, I have quest given to me in chapter 1 and 2 that I never completed because I have no idea where to get things from. And some of those are tied to main characters, meaning their companion level went up slowly.
The max item and equipment slots are 1400 and 800, respectively. I know I definitely maxed both out by the time I got to chapter 12. As for the quest items, you can find a list of all area and monster drops under Slayer Record in the start menu or use the Toukiden Kiwami Item Search. There is a full list of resources that I found useful in the second post of this thread. The items that are tied to characters are only for forging/upgrading equipment and aren't required for any quest, although completing a certain number of quests from that character will give you a unique item. For example, completing Horo's missions will give you the Identification Tag, which is then used to forge Horo's Phantom Rifle.

Good post though, thanks for sharing! Hopefully more people give this a try, especially since it's 50% off on Vita/PS4 this week.

The max item and equipment slots are 1400 and 800, respectively. I know I definitely maxed both out by the time I got to chapter 12. As for the quest items, you can find a list of all area and monster drops under Slayer Record in the start menu or use the Toukiden Kiwami Item Search. There is a full list of resources that I found useful in the second post of this thread. The items that are tied to characters are only for forging/upgrading equipment and aren't required for any quest, although completing a certain number of quests from that character will give you a unique item. For example, completing Horo's missions will give you the Identification Tag, which is then used to forge Horo's Phantom Rifle.

Good post though, thanks for sharing! Hopefully more people give this a try, especially since it's 50% off on Vita/PS4 this week.

Huh, actually, now that you've pointed these websites out, I realise I didn't look for any info whatsoever outside of the game. And I mean that in a good way, in that I just pushed and relied on figuring things out on my own, which I have to admit, isn't something I do often nowadays. I think it is a credit to the game, as I never felt like I had to.

An earlier poster on this page made mention how he too only had 500 item slots, and like him, I didn't do the Edax Hornbit quest. Sometimes I went out of my way to do quest, while other times I assumed I'd get an opportunity in the future. So I never got around to completing the Edax Hornbit quest, and maybe that is what stopped me from obtaining the next Tatara Increase Item Slot quest. It didn't really hinder my progress, and I deleted stuff I didn't need anyway (I think), so it wasn't a big deal. It seems needlessly hidden though.

With regards to the Slayer Records, I think I did check them out, but they only show items and such that you've at least already found once right? So if a quest comes up with an item you haven't procured before, it'll be listed under ??? in the records, right? That was the quick impression I got. I remember taking a glance at items within an Age and found so many ??? slots. I was like, yea, even if I knew the item, it felt like it would be a pain searching each one specifically just to finish quests. In the end, again, I just went with the flow and relied on what I had. Same thing with Mitama's, I never tried to actively farm Mitama's or search online for the best ones. I just mixed and matched what I thought worked. I don't think I'll actively try to 100% the game, but I might try getting some of those supped-up weapons forged with Mitamas.

ZeroAKA

An earlier poster on this page made mention how he too only had 500 item slots, and like him, I didn't do the Edax Hornbit quest. Sometimes I went out of my way to do quest, while other times I assumed I'd get an opportunity in the future. So I never got around to completing the Edax Hornbit quest, and maybe that is what stopped me from obtaining the next Tatara Increase Item Slot quest. It didn't really hinder my progress, and I deleted stuff I didn't need anyway (I think), so it wasn't a big deal. It seems needlessly hidden though.

With regards to the Slayer Records, I think I did check them out, but they only show items and such that you've at least already found once right? So if a quest comes up with an item you haven't procured before, it'll be listed under ??? in the records, right? That was the quick impression I got. I remember taking a glance at items within an Age and found so many ??? slots. I was like, yea, even if I knew the item, it felt like it would be a pain searching each one specifically just to finish quests. In the end, again, I just went with the flow and relied on what I had. Same thing with Mitama's, I never tried to actively farm Mitama's or search online for the best ones. I just mixed and matched what I thought worked. I don't think I'll actively try to 100% the game, but I might try getting some of those supped-up weapons forged with Mitamas.
I really didn't go out of my way to look up information until towards the end of the game either. Most of the quest items just came naturally as I was farming monsters for new equipment or even just playing through each mission. Slayer Records could definitely be improved for Toukiden 2 (maybe add a search or sort function), but I still found it useful for the times when I was too lazy to check online. You start to notice which areas/monsters drop which items after a while.

I don't know how you were able to finish the story without upgrading your inventory past 500. Having to constantly sell items after each mission might have driven me insane. >.<

maouvin

So I just completed Chapter 12. Is it worth going through all of Ch. 13 or can I stop playing?

If you're already there, just finish the whole thing.

Or maybe begin to progress on the Phases (online chapters - same stuff, but you need to progress there separately). Endgame stuff is only available there, as there's more Phases than Chapters.

GutsOfThor

I'm already 20 missions into Ch.13. How many missions left?

I played the most with the nagata(sp?) but recently switched to the bow and am enjoying the change of pace but damn it takes forever to take some of the enemies down lol.

maouvin

I'm already 20 missions into Ch.13. How many missions left?

I played the most with the nagata(sp?) but recently switched to the bow and am enjoying the change of pace but damn it takes forever to take some of the enemies down lol.

Are you playing all the missions on each chapter? You only need to clear the red ones to proceed. If there's no red mission, you either unlocked them all or need to clear one or two more for the red to appear.
Chapter 13 is the last one for offline single player btw.

As for the bow, without using specific builds the most straightforward ways to deal damage are using cursed arrow (X + square) then homing arrow, or cursed arrow then a charged normal shot trying to hit more than one cursed part for chain explosions. Those hit nicely.

If you have a build that allows you to replenish stamina on hit, you can press circle to enter the shooting stance and then spam double/triple triangle. Shooting stance drains your stamina fast, so a replenishing build is needed. I was using one based on elemental damage with skills that replenished life and stamina whenever I dealt elemental damage. The shortcoming is that against a enemy resistant to the bow I chose, I dealt almost no damage :p
Maybe a crit build could work too, there are mitama skills that increase critical rate and replenish stamina when you crit.

GutsOfThor

Cool, thanks for the info. I have indeed been playing all the missions. I'll probably just play the red ones just so I can complete the game.

I will try what you suggested with the bow. Thanks!

Top Bottom