• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft; which would the industry miss the least?

DaBoss

Yeah because I want to spend all day muting hundreds of people I come across online.

Party chat was the best mute option ever created.

You make it sound like everyone is bad with voice chat.

You also didn't respond to my previous post. :p

DC1

Sony

What have they done?

images

DC1

You where 'ok' until your last point. ;)

Nintendo has 'very roughly' 14 launched consoles.
NES
SNES
Virtual Boy.
N64
GameCube
Wii
WiiU
GameBoy
GameBoy Pocket
GameBoy Color
GameBoy Advance/(GameBoy Advance SP)
GameBoy Micro
DS/(DS Lite)
DSi/(DSi XL)
(I dropped a couple of Lite/XL DS releases)

Sony has launched 5 consoles to date
Playstation 1
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
PSP
Vita

Percentage wise.. Sony has hit the mark on each of their releases. And I think, over time, The WiiU and Vita will be fine.

By the way, the Nintendo list of released consoles is staggering.
They (Nintendo) is the elder-states men of gaming.

Nintendo may not be the most powerful in the home console realm (please do give me Wii sales figures), however they are extremely influential in the portable market and must be respected across the board.

Completely aware that I just stated one of the most obvious facts in the gaming universe... spare or spear me :)

Uh you conveniently left the PSP GO of that list there sport....talk about hitting the mark......

You caught me red handed! .. I was hoping no one noticed :)

images

Foffy

Banned
For me, I'd say MS. Nintendo is Nintendo; they make the best games by miles and miles. Sony has the best platforms in terms of specs and raw potential. I think Microsoft has done nothing but bring ideas that have been rather weak, and if they're new system and its rumors are to be anything to gauge at, they're willing to ruin the whole boat.

Jamix012

You caught me red handed! .. I was hoping no one noticed :)

images

I still don't understand what was particularly wrong with my spin :(
All I said was that Sony have 4 consoles that have sold over 20 million
(PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP)
Whereas Nintendo have 8 consoles that sold over 20 millions [I bundled together several consoles you said were seperate but still]
(NES, SNES, N64, GCN, WII, GB(C), GBA, DS, 3DS.)
On second thought, that's 9 consoles. Either way, it was just me trying to deliberately spin things.

Woffls

Thought you were all crazy then I realised the thread said "least" and not "most". I wouldn't miss Microsoft at all on a personal level because their first party is nothing to me and I don't play online. The industry should miss them for being a proponent to better online services, but the competition has been taking their god damn time for the last decade so I don't think Microsoft's lack of presence would make a bit of difference.

Nintendo are invaluable for the usual reasons, and we need Sony if we don't have Microsoft soooo yeah.

DC1

I still don't understand what was particularly wrong with my spin :(
All I said was that Sony have 4 consoles that have sold over 20 million
(PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP)
Whereas Nintendo have 8 consoles that sold over 20 millions [I bundled together several consoles you said were seperate but still]
(NES, SNES, N64, GCN, WII, GB(C), GBA, DS, 3DS.)
On second thought, that's 9 consoles. Either way, it was just me trying to deliberately spin things.

No worries!

I will support your spin ... depending which way it's going. ;)

luxsol

Sooo this is basically a troll thread where anyone can slam the company they like least?

I wouldnt call it a troll, more like airing things out and getting a feel for how the community here views console makers.
Having an opinion ≠ trolling

That said, fuck Microsoft.

With every generation they progressively became anti-consumer:
First they kept gamers from playing the multiplayer segment of a video game by forcing you to pay for their subscription service.

Then they increased the price of that service, plus started nickel and diming consumers for extras that were normally free. Publishers got used to this extra form of income, which has segmented the userbase in multiplayer games. Before this, extras were given freely as a thank you to the gamer for putting up with an "incomplete" game and to keep gamers interested in the game for the long term, providing for longer term sales and viability for expansion packs (which segmented the base, but in larger chunks than the slow, "micro" pack releases we see now).

Now the rumors of no used games (or charging extra to make a used game playable) and always online being the standard makes them the worst choice possible for a consumer.

There's a lot of blind hate for Microsoft here, but i think they were a necessary evil. Competition is a great thing for the industry. Without XBox Live, it'd take longer for the online multiplayer models we see today to be fully thoughout. The hard drive in every Xbox provided PC-like game expansions and "saves" on consoles. I don't care at all for achievements points thing, but a lot of people seem to enjoy this. Making these things standard for their consoles pushed the competition to produce better products as well.

I do feel that Microsoft has overstayed their welcome, if the current rumors even turn out to be half true. Before i thought MS were just assholes who had a lot of great ideas, but now they're just detrimental to consumers and puts the industry in danger if the rumored plans were to catch on.

Just wanna leave that out there for posterity. Wow.

The obvious answer is MS.

Nintendo bring a focus on gameplay and polish. They're the only ones who bring something that no one could emulate.

Sony brought gaming into the mainstream and brought about the industry as now it today.

The 360 has had a much bigger impact on the current state of console gaming than the PS1 has retained. Also, the idea that "Sony brought gaming into the mainstream" is pretty weird when Nintendo had already done that. The PS1 sold to even more households, but it didn't change the fact that Nintendo was already thoroughly a household name.

Whether for good or ill, the 360 is basically what brought the influx of PC devs, PC focused ideas and PC style online to the consoles, which then dominated the console space. As well as turning the console into a Netflix/streaming media center for the living room. This is because it pushed online and connectivity so heavily, like a PC, much more so than the PS3's early days and I'm not even going to mention Nintendo. The only reason the PS3 was pushed to "catch-up" in this regard is because the 360 existed. As a result, console gaming on both the PS3 and 360 bears a greater resemblance to early 2000s PC gaming than it does to PS1 era gaming. Not entirely, most particularly in Japan, but that's where it is and where it's staying for the near future.

The dedicated console as a non-connected non-PC-like box is a historical dead-end. If the console manages to thrive in the future, it will be in the shape of a PC that runs your TV, complete with HD, OS, OS-level apps, basic file management, online management, and so on. It may of course continue to be a closed garden approach, where the console maker has to sign off on all software that runs on the console, because this is what the console makers would love.

ChronoX

Nintendo. Nostalgia aside, I still believe they have their place in the gaming industry today thanks to the type of games they promote and create.

As far as a real chance of going under. Sony. Who would I miss the least. Nintendo. If any of the big 3 fall out, that's bad news for the industry.

i don't know where the industry would at now if Microsoft hadn't stepped in and released the Xbox and pushed Xbox Live and courted many PC devs, but i know it wouldn't be where it's at today. with all of that said, i still say Microsoft.

I'd say Microsoft. They're the youngest of the three.

Sony's had 3 generations, Microsoft has only had 2, and Nintendo's damn ancient.

Jac_Solar

Nintendo, the company, brings stability to the gaming industry, and their games and consoles has a direct and indirect effect on the gaming ecosystem in general. Nintendo is the most important of all those. Then Sony, then Microsoft.

If some of the rumors of the NextBox are true, like always online, no used games, then they are detrimental to the industry, let alone least valuable. My main gaming console has been Xbox 360, which I've played a lot on, so I wouldn't say that I have any negative bias or a reason for hating on that console because I play another console. Hating or defending any console because of your console of choice doesn't make much sense to me anyhow. While I do have a PS3, I rarely play on it, and if a game is available on Xbox 360, I try to buy that version.

Top Bottom