• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

To anyone who still thinks that Rayman Legends won't be eaten by competition in September:

OK, so assume that the GTA audience doesn't overlap with Rayman that much and GTA won't cannibalize Rayman's sales. You know what is coming out in early October?

pokemon-x-and-y-announcement.gif

Yeah.

Fennekin is going to consume Rayman.

Rayman Legends may have just helped kill off Wii U unless Nintendo plans to also make those playable on Wii U I don't see the crossover you are talking about. Most pokemon players still make time for console gaming

Mikey Jr.

How are they going to handle the non-gamepad stuff for the other consoles? Thats what has me more excited, that its just going to be more like Origins instead or what was in the demo, ie controlling the environment around the girl.

The thing I find the most amusing is that in the beginning of the thread, more people were reveling at the fact that Wii U owners were mad about the game going multi-platform then there were actual wii U owners being mad about the game being multi platform. Of course, I know there were some people who were mad at the game going multiplat but they were in the small minority. Most people were just angry about the delay and the ign tease more than anything else. Hell, I just sat through that 17 minute MiiVerse video and even there, the place where "nintendo fanboys" would most likely gather, people were still only angry at the delay. It's amazing how some people on this board get self satisfaction from convincing themselves that fans of a console they have no interest in are all butthurt crybabies

evangd007

Rayman Legends may have just helped kill off Wii U unless Nintendo plans to also make those playable on Wii U I don't see the crossover you are talking about. Most pokemon players still make time for console gaming

Games are games. They all serve the same purpose, entertainment, and all compete for our time. Many brought up GTA V as competition. I was making a point that there will be other competition, including games with that are aesthetically more similar to Rayman. September is a deathtrap for this game no matter which way you slice it.

Petitions never work. You know what could? Getting stuff to trend on twitter.

#freeRayman

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It's funny how Nintendo's not deleting these posts in Miiverse.

Shame Ubisoft will completely ignore each and every one of them. :/

Games are games. They all serve the same purpose, entertainment, and all compete for our time. Many brought up GTA V as competition. I was making a point that there will be other competition, including games with that are aesthetically more similar to Rayman. September is a deathtrap for this game no matter which way you slice it.

I see your point now

This puzzles me why some here think that waiting for Wii U to sell more hardware is a good move, right now you have a bunch of hungry Wii U owners who are waiting on quality games. In September Wii U will have been flooded.

I could bet The Wonderful 101 ends up outselling Rayman Legends on all Platforms combined by the end of 2013

It's funny how Nintendo's not deleting these posts in Miiverse.

Shame Ubisoft will completely ignore each and every one of them. :/

Why would Ubisoft care? Just a bunch of empty cans rattling around on Miiverse. Ubisoft made a business decision. They didn't willfully screw people over. If people can't grasp that fact and accept it, that's their own fault. Sometimes things we want get delayed.

And this won't kill the Wii U. It was always going to be a dead zone until at least Fall anyway. Some Lego game isn't going to move units and neither is Pikmin. It's going to take a huge game or a slew of smaller "big" games from Nintendo to start the tide moving in the right direction. Whatever ill-will Ubisoft generated amongst the few Wii U owners that exist, they created a lot of good will with 360/PS3 and possibly PC/Vita owners.

I see your point now

This puzzles me why some here think that waiting for Wii U to sell more hardware is a good move, right now you have a bunch of hungry Wii U owners who are waiting on quality games. In September Wii U will have been flooded.

I could bet The Wonderful 101 ends up outselling Rayman Legends on all Platforms combined by the end of 2013

I'll gladly take this bet.

Petitions never work. You know what could? Getting stuff to trend on twitter.

#freeRayman

EVERYONE #FREERAYMAN

Amir0x

Banned
Can we even be sure SMxFE will leave Japan ?

Man, how could Nintendo fuck up this badly ?

if Shin Megami X Fire Emblem doesn't leave Japan I think I will enter the fetal position and cry myself to sleep for weeks

i don't want to live in a world where I can't play that game in my native tongue

Darryl

Banned
The thing I find the most amusing is that in the beginning of the thread, more people were reveling at the fact that Wii U owners were mad about the game going multi-platform then there were actual wii U owners being mad about the game being multi platform. Of course, I know there were some people who were mad at the game going multiplat but they were in the small minority. Most people were just angry about the delay and the ign tease more than anything else. Hell, I just sat through that 17 minute MiiVerse video and even there, the place where "nintendo fanboys" would most likely gather, people were still only angry at the delay. It's amazing how some people on this board get self satisfaction from convincing themselves that fans of a console they have no interest in are all butthurt crybabies

it's ridiculous how much satisfaction some people around here get out of stuff like this. let those poor wii u buying sheep suffer for their mistake!

everyone should tweet this!

RT My #WiiU bet for @Ubisoft The Wonderful 101 outsells Rayman Legends on all platforms combined by the end of 2013 #FreeRayman

Ubisoft did this because they did not believe in the Wii U and the Fans who own it this is how to pay them back

https://twitter.com/NazHz/status/299728772498853888

this is a terrible bet. wonderful 100 is gonna close the year at $60. rayman is going to be bargain bin regardless of what happens - it might not even make it to black friday.

Pachinko

Holy crap there is some anger being spewed around in this thread. I haven't seen anything this bad since devil may cry 4 was revealed as a 360 release.

There's not much rocket science at work here-

Rayman Legends lead SKU was the wii U, that version is ready to go and has been heavily promoted by ubisoft and nintendo. It's likely they could have gone ahead with the release late this month and could have made some sales from it. I believe, there was initially every intention of porting it to PS3/360 6 months down the road but that was assuming wii U sales of 5 million by the end of march and likely fairly high projected sales over spring and summer for the console. This is no longer looking to be the case since nintendo has literally delayed every single game initially aimed for launch window to various portions of the year and the bigger games aren't coming for a year now. So ubisoft could go ahead and release this SKU when scheduled , promote it and hope for the best sales wise then have to re-promote it later in the year for other systems and have a second launch for no real sales benefit. I can picture a back room meeting occuring though, Ubisoft saying to Nintendo " look, this game is finished but we aren't confident it'll sell well enough on your console and since you guys aren't releasing anything to drive sales for the next 6 months we no longer feel obligated to support your console with an exclusive release... unless a certain financial commitment could be arranged ? " to which nintendo replied " no thanks we have hit games like lego city and pikmin 3 coming sometime this year maybe , we don't need to spend money to make launching first on wii U worth your while ". So Ubi simply packs up and decides to do a much bigger launch.

Now we've got a date in september where Rayman Legends will be coming out on xbox 360, PS3, Wii U and probably even PC , maybe even vita ? Whatever the case they can now fully direct promotion materials towards releasing this game for everything. This WILL lead to higher over all sales, anyone can buy it now. It will also more then likely lead to much lower success on the wii U which will have the roundabout side effect of keeping ubisoft less interested in releasing further games for the platform that aren't shovelware shit. And who knows, by september Nintendo may actually release another game worth owning!

Why would Ubisoft care? Just a bunch of empty cans rattling around on Miiverse. Ubisoft made a business decision. They didn't willfully screw people over. If people can't grasp that fact and accept it, that's their own fault. Sometimes things we want get delayed.

And this won't kill the Wii U. It was always going to be a dead zone until at least Fall anyway. Some Lego game isn't going to move units and neither is Pikmin. It's going to take a huge game or a slew of smaller "big" games from Nintendo to start the tide moving in the right direction. Whatever ill-will Ubisoft generated amongst the few Wii U owners that exist, they created a lot of good will with 360/PS3 and possibly PC/Vita owners.

I'll gladly take this bet.
Do you have any idea how horribly last Rayman sold? And why do you think it will be any better, if not considerably worse, delaying a game shown and hyped a year ago, by several months, to a date that will be packed with AAA games?

Now we've got a date in september where Rayman Legends will be coming out on xbox 360, PS3, Wii U and probably even PC , maybe even vita ? Whatever the case they can now fully direct promotion materials towards releasing this game for everything. This WILL lead to higher over all sales, anyone can buy it now. It will also more then likely lead to much lower success on the wii U which will have the roundabout side effect of keeping ubisoft less interested in releasing further games for the platform that aren't shovelware shit. And who knows, by september Nintendo may actually release another game worth owning!
Firstly, it may sell better, but is it worth the delay in cash flow,risk of possible loss of interest for reasons I stated above, and of course the increase in production and marketing cost?

And that is just the short term view over the matter; damaging public relationship usually have mid, longterm effects

Lynd7

Holy crap there is some anger being spewed around in this thread. I haven't seen anything this bad since devil may cry 4 was revealed as a 360 release.

Rayman Legends lead SKU was the wii U, that version is ready to go and has been heavily promoted by ubisoft and nintendo. It's likely they could have gone ahead with the release late this month and could have made some sales from it. I believe, there was initially every intention of porting it to PS3/360 6 months down the road but that was assuming wii U sales of 5 million by the end of march and likely fairly high projected sales over spring and summer for the console. This is no longer looking to be the case since nintendo has literally delayed every single game initially aimed for launch window to various portions of the year and the bigger games aren't coming for a year now. So ubisoft could go ahead and release this SKU when scheduled , promote it and hope for the best sales wise then have to re-promote it later in the year for other systems and have a second launch for no real sales benefit. I can picture a back room meeting occuring though, Ubisoft saying to Nintendo " look, this game is finished but we aren't confident it'll sell well enough on your console and since you guys aren't releasing anything to drive sales for the next 6 months we no longer feel obligated to support your console with an exclusive release... unless a certain financial commitment could be arranged ? " to which nintendo replied " no thanks we have hit games like lego city and pikmin 3 coming sometime this year maybe , we don't need to spend money to make launching first on wii U worth your while ". So Ubi simply packs up and decides to do a much bigger launch.

Doesn't matter, delaying for this reason, this close to launch is pathetic.

disco

How are they even going to advertise or make this attractive prior to September? Like anyone will give a shit about playing this again at E3. Once new Autumn titles have been announced they will all overshadow this game in both media exposure and when it releases.

*cancels preorder* Will buy when it's £8 in November out of spite. Sorry assholes.

Do you have any idea how horribly last Rayman sold? And why do you think it will be any better, if not considerably worse, delaying a game shown and hyped a year ago, by several months, to a date that will be packed with AAA games?

So horribly they made a sequel and an incredibly popular iPhone/iPad/Android game out of it, thus increasing awareness of the series in a big way. Why do I think it will sell better? Because now people know of the series and know of its quality. Going into Origins people were surprised at the reviews and how great the demo was. Now people aren't surprised that a Rayman game will be good. Now people are actually anticipating it (witness the epic meltdowns in this thread). As many people with Wii Us that were awaiting it, there will be many more anticipating it on other platforms. If you're expecting an Origins-esque launch bomb as some sort of infantile karma swipe at Ubisoft for making a business decision, prepare to be disappointed.

I don't give a damn. I've got a brick downstairs attached to my TV until something worthwhile comes out for it. Rayman is going to be fucking eaten for lunch in September.

Hero

Sound logic by Baconsammy as always. Probably a lot like what the rational behind greenlighting sequels to Epic Mickey, de Blob and uDraw and making them multiplatform as well.

So am I crazy for not seeing much terribly wrong with the miiverse posts...if you're not happy with the way business is handled, go elsewhere.

So horribly they made a sequel and an incredibly popular iPhone/iPad/Android game out of it, thus increasing awareness of the series in a big way. Why do I think it will sell better? Because now people know of the series and know of its quality. Going into Origins people were surprised at the reviews and how great the demo was. Now people aren't surprised that a Rayman game will be good.
What makes you think that because people paid for iPhone apps, they are willing to pay full price for a 2D platformer?

A comparison could be Sonic Colors that restored good faith in the Sonic brand; but did Generation sell better?

The only difference, however, is that Rayman games never were known to be bad games; specially Ancel games weren't known to bad games, quite the contrary; however, they were games that just didn't sell.

Now people are actually anticipating it (witness the epic meltdowns in this thread). As many people with Wii Us that were awaiting it, there will be many more anticipating it on other platforms. If you're expecting an Origins-esque launch bomb as some sort of infantile karma swipe at Ubisoft for making a business decision, prepare to be disappointed.
This is mere speculations on your side;

There are several signs that lead to this game not selling well:

- 2D platformer
- Very long gap between announcement, PR, marketing and release
- Release date in a comparably poor time of the year
- Release date at the end of life cycle of the target platforms
- Release date before the launch of next generation
- Release date after E3 and among major AAA games

They are just things that have high correlations with poor sales; however, I would like to see what other examples you have of someone doing a move like this, and actually receiving good sales.

---
And of course, even if it sells better, it should be much more enough to compensate for:
- 6 months of delay in cash flow, further development cost, and especially marketing
- Damage to public relationship and brand faith

OryoN

1) How does boycotting the game fix that problem? 2) If Wii U games were flying off the shelves, then this wouldn't be an issue 3) but now Nintendo fans, if they actually follow through and don't buy it, would be giving Ubisoft and other third parties yet another excuse to not put games on the system.

(numbered/edited your post for easier response)

1) Whether people boycott it or not, makes no difference. Upon it's release, people's attention will be on other games. Rayman will naturally miss out on potential sales due to being cannibalized by other software.

2) That's an assumption, you know it. But let's pretend it's not. It's not like Ubisoft wasn't aware they are dealing with an infant console here. At ~2.5 months in, Wii U is tracking ahead of most consoles to date. Let's not hold Wii U to standards which other consoles was never/will never be jugded by. No games are flying off the shelf because there's been nothing new on the shelf! It ain't that complicated. All the more reason to capitalize on the situation, but some geniuses at Ubisoft thought otherwise. Issuing their game's death sentence - scheduled to be burned at the stake this Fall - was apparently a bright idea at the meeting table. R.I.P Rayman.

3) As I said in the first point, people will follow through and not buy the game via a natural process(Rayman less relevant among stiff competition). When this happens, the take away message should be, "We f*cked up and missed out on a grand opportunity on Nintendo's platform." But, sadly, you're correct in saying devs will see it as a reason not to support the console.

What makes you think that because people paid for iPhone apps, they are willing to pay full price for a 2D platformer?

I didn't say they would. I said the series has more attention now thanks to Origins and Rayman Run. What makes you think today's decision will result in fewer sales than if it had released this month on one console with an incredibly tiny install base? In September they'll have competition, obviously, but they'll also have a larger install base for Wii U as well as 150+ million PS3/360 owners to market to. Is it really hard to comprehend why they'd make this decision?

How did those work out?

He's being facetious. He's got a boner for my posts apparently. On his list he left off "making Rayman Legends and ZombiU exclusively for one console". Why not give Ubisoft some credit for realizing their mistake?

How did those work out?
Among those, only De Blob is comparable honestly, others weren't really good games; and it obviously it flopped; maybe examples like No More Heroes, House of the Dead, etc. that were well received games and went multiplat but sold like shit, could be better examples.

I didn't say they would. I said the series has more attention now thanks to Origins and Rayman Run. What makes you think today's decision will result in fewer sales than if it had released this month on one console with an incredibly tiny install base? In September they'll have competition, obviously, but they'll also have a larger install base for Wii U as well as 150+ million PS3/360 owners to market to. Is it really hard to comprehend why they'd make this decision?

He's being facetious. He's got a boner for my posts apparently. On his list he left off "making Rayman Legends and ZombiU exclusively for one console". Why not give Ubisoft some credit for realizing their mistake?
The installed base doesn't matter per se AT ALL; just look at Wii, it has an installed base of 100m, how are the new releases selling there? Not to mention the combined installed base of 250m of this generation of consoles didn't help Origins much at all.

Again, I don't see how people being willing to pay for an App in any regards lead to you concluding they will, in any significant way, be interested in a full priced games; they are almost totally unrelated. Origins DID have a good marketing to back it up, it just didn't sell.

---
As to the reason why people will be willing to buy the game, because of the drought in games; it was the only game for Wii U in Feb and probably the only good one to be released in the months after.

But importantly, I do not deny the obvious fact that it will sell on PS3/360, etc.; however, will it be enough not only to compensate for the decrease in sales on Wii U, but also for the extra costs due to marketing, production, and cash flow delay?

spannicus

lets hope Colonial Marines gets delayed to wait for Wii U version too lol. Ubisoft can suck it till they get that creamy stuff.

Darryl

Banned

you're acting like Rayman was some big unknown to begin with - it wasn't. people knew what it was and didn't want it. those 150M+ consoles aren't all active. platformers have to notoriously launch at a lower price on those systems to have any level of success, just like Origins and Sonic. they're launching in a date that has huge releases coming in on all platforms - from nintendo, xbox, ps3. they're also launching on a date when people might start looking forward to the next-generation of consoles and want to slow down further investing in the platform, especially on non-essential titles (which platformers clearly are).

i really don't see why you can't understand the problems with it

you're acting like Rayman was some big unknown to begin with - it wasn't. people knew what it was and didn't want it. those 150M+ consoles aren't all active. platformers have to notoriously launch at a lower price on those systems to have any level of success, just like Origins and Sonic. they're launching in a date that has huge releases coming in on all platforms - from nintendo, xbox, ps3. they're also launching on a date when people might start looking forward to the next-generation of consoles and want to slow down further investing in the platform, especially on non-essential titles (which platformers clearly are).

What problems? That some people who anticipated a Feb release now have to wait a little longer, and in return Ubisoft will probably make more money and possibly afford to make another game? Ubisoft's bottom line >>>> hurt feelings. Unless you meant the problem with the demo only having 30 plays from now until September. That's a very real problem that they should rectify.

So when is da next big WiiU release?

Next month is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Lego City: Undercover. Those are the only 2 exclusives that have dates up until May. Everything else is TBA. It is as barren as it gets.

I have more games coming out in February for the 360 that I want than for the WiiU from launch until at least some time after May! It' pathetic!

Brqan

This guy just likes being combative id ignore him.

This guy just likes being combative id ignore him.

By combative do you actually mean that I'm attempting to be logical instead of posting something as awesome as:

Fuck You Ubisoft!

Ubisoft isn't out to get us. I wish the game was coming out in a few weeks. As it stands now I'll get it at some point before the end of the year. If I thought Ubisoft was purposely screwing with gamers/consumers, I'd be right there with you. They're not.

Tizoc

Bayonetta 2 is being published by Nintendo specifically because it was willing to fund the game's development. While Sega still owns the rights to the IP, Nintendo would be foolish to allow Sega to release a game on competitor platforms as part of their contract. There's not a lot of logic in allowing a game you funded to be put on other platforms. Hell, Nintendo wouldn't even work with Microsoft to get GoldenEye 64 put on VC if it meant it would also go to XBLA. Just pay off Sega to keep it as an exclusive.

Ah I forgot about that, but...ya never know, lots of surprising stuff have happened this year like Project X Zone getting localized, wouldn't surprise me if some months after the game's release it comes for next gen consoles if not PS3 and 360.

Wait, when the hell was this ever a Wii-U exclusive? I thought they just debuted the trailer for the Wii-U.

They never mentioned that the game was exclusive or NOT coming to the 360/PS3.

this is a terrible bet. wonderful 100 is gonna close the year at $60. rayman is going to be bargain bin regardless of what happens - it might not even make it to black friday.

Not if I can help it!

#FreeRayman buy The Wonderful 101 <-- my war cry for the rest of the year :p

Wait, when the hell was this ever a Wii-U exclusive? I thought they just debuted the trailer for the Wii-U.

They never mentioned that the game was exclusive or NOT coming to the 360/PS3.

From this past summer:

Ubisoft has confirmed to Venture Beat that the magical Rayman Legends is exclusive to Wii U, so we won&#8217;t be seeing the game on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. Xavier Poix, the managing director of the French studio, also revealed that the recently announced ZombiU will be a launch title for the system when it launches later this year. It was also revealed that Wii U will only support one Wii U GamePad, putting to rest the rumours that it will support two.

We've known it was supposed to be exclusive since it was announced.

For awhile there around E3 Xbox/Sony fans were saying stuff like "There's no way they're dumb enough to make this an exclusive after how poorly the first one sold." And then Xavier confirmed it was.

Brqan

By combative do you actually mean that I'm attempting to be logical instead of posting something as awesome as:

Ubisoft isn't out to get us. I wish the game was coming out in a few weeks. As it stands now I'll get it at some point before the end of the year. If I thought Ubisoft was purposely screwing with gamers/consumers, I'd be right there with you. They're not.

Well sorry for not liking be treated like a second class citizen. I don't know their reasons all i know is that this game was coming out at the end of February and now its not. So im going to be pissed because i was looking forward to playing this with a group of buddies who played the store demo with me and were looking forward to it.

Top Bottom