• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

mclem

Err, that's pretty fucking cruel. Ubisoft effectively put them through crunch to get the game finished in time, then delayed it seven months after the crunch.

Something similar's happened to me. I christened it "rolling crunch". It's incredibly shitty.

rockx4

I if i remember, it took 2 or 3 months for rayman origins to bomba to $20 then that June it was $10 at a best buy sale(bought it then)

and since i will busy with GTA V and zelda wind waker HD, not to mention other unannounced games.

so that being said, its sad but i might just have to wait to get this, it was perfect for this month cause i had no games for wii u, hell just release all 3 this month and i wouldnt care, i want to play it.

A February release meant I would probably buy it for $60 just because I have nothing else to buy for the Wii U. A September release means I'll wait tillI've gone through the other bigger releases, and by then Rayman will probably be a bargain title again like Origins.

Not surprised in the slightest. A Vita version would have been great considering how stunning Origins looked on it, but I guess I’ll settle for the PS3 version.

So he has more Wii U games than you and all of a sudden he just eats up everything?

Or is it that he disagreed with you, so you have to make a personal attack? Maybe he likes games a lot so he wants to, you know, buy more games.

Well I don't havea lot of games but I like to complete them at 100% and that takes time.But it's difficult to understand for some persons. they prefer to try superficially a lot of things than go deep into one.

Well, everyone plays in a way that satistfies him.

javac

The game being bomba price should still generate profit for Ubi, surely the games aren't that expensive, especially since most of the heavy work was done on origins right? Weren't these games supposed downloadable games from the start anyways?

MDX

This is what probably happened:

A:
Rayman was supposed to make use of NFC (remember leaked video?).
Nintendo has delayed NFC till the second half of this year (recently stated by Iwata).
UBIsoft forced to delay game, thus affecting their fiscal year.
As compensation, UBIsoft is porting the game to other consoles to make up for the losses.

or

B:
Rayman was supposed to make use of NFC.
Nintendo has delayed NFC till the second half of this year.
UBIsoft decides to delay game, to capitalize on NFC
Rayman was never going to be an exclusive title, only a timed exclusive (remember initial confusion of exclusivity or multi-platform release?) so now the release schedules get closer.

NFC will still separate the WiiU version from the other two consoles

So the Wii U version was delayed so they could all launch together?

I don't understand that to be honest, why can't the Wii U one ship and the others get a late port for once?

HEAVEN FORBID!

:/

eyeless

Don't know if this has been posted, apparently is from a member of the Rayman Legends team that posts on the spanish forums EOL:

I found this at meristation forums from Gonzark, a reliable poster.
Qh4Mazv.jpg

goods news\ will buy the likely pc version

majik13

This is what probably happened:

A:
Rayman was supposed to make use of NFC (remember leaked video?).
Nintendo has delayed NFC till the second half of this year (recently stated by Iwata).
UBIsoft forced to delay game, thus affecting their fiscal year.
As compensation, UBIsoft is porting the game to other consoles to make up for the losses.

or

B:
Rayman was supposed to make use of NFC.
Nintendo has delayed NFC till the second half of this year.
UBIsoft decides to delay game, to capitalize on NFC
Rayman was never going to be an exclusive title, only a timed exclusive (remember initial confusion of exclusivity or multi-platform release?) so now the release schedules get closer.

NFC will still separate the WiiU version from the other two consoles

I dont think it will have NFC at all, and was only ever a proof of concept.

I read this is as they're redoing the game to take out the Murphy levels that at one time seemed to be a decent amount of the game. So for this I'd gladly take a delay!

cloudyy

Why are you ignoring the Gamecube port. (Bigger installbase and on a Nintendo Counsel)
Sorry, what gamecube port? Code Veronica X came 2 years AFTER the ps2 version which was the console with a bigger install base than gamecube no? And besides, this was a 2 years late port, not 6-7 months.

I suddenly hate the "I won't buy this game because of the delay" comments. God dammit, internet.

As if any of that is our fault. It's publisher greed and I can't imagine the devs blaming us before the higher ups. Besides, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a video game developer get paid as soon as they finish a game? The game was golded a short time before the delay so at least they might have gotten paid for their hard work. And even if the game bombs 7 months later on from now I'm not sure how much of an effect it would have on the developers by then. I mean, it's not like Ubisoft would actually dismantle their Montpellier team, one of their core studios. Especially when by that time they would have to start developing BG&E2

AGITΩ

Didn't Origins not do so hot on the Wii at first because it launched same day as NSMBWii? Surely the guys at Ubisoft saw the Nintendo Direct in which Nintendo announced Mario Kart, 3D Mario, and Wind Waker all for this fall right? They are just sending this thing to Die on Wii U now.

Sandfox

AGITΩ;47449176 said:
Didn't Origins not do so hot on the Wii at first because it launched same day as NSMBWii? Surely the guys at Ubisoft saw the Nintendo Direct in which Nintendo announced Mario Kart, 3D Mario, and Wind Waker all for this fall right? They are just sending this thing to Die on Wii U now.

The game only sold 50k in its opening month in November so I doubt it did much better on any other console.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Happy to see it go multiplatform but not at the expense of a February/March release date for the Wii U. Fucking Ubisoft! I'll probably still end up getting the Wii U version for the second screen stuff but that delay is tough to stomach.

I really can't believe there are NO MORE Wii U games coming out for the entire month. Just look at this release schedule of confirmed games:

02/07 North America Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
03/05 North America The Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition
03/18 North America LEGO City Undercover
03/19 North America Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
03/19 North America Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game
03/19 North America The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
03/26 North America The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
04/16 North America Injustice: Gods Among Us
05/21 North America Resident Evil: Revelations
05/24 North America Sniper Elite V2

God damn it. Absolutely nothing until next month.

kunonabi

I read this is as they're redoing the game to take out the Murphy levels that at one time seemed to be a decent amount of the game. So for this I'd gladly take a delay!

Which is why I'm not buying it. The co-op murphy stuff was fantastic when I played it at the Wii u experience. It was dumbed down by the time the demo rolled around I'm pretty by the time it comes out it will be a complete non-factor.

I really can't believe there are NO MORE Wii U games coming out for the entire month. Just look at this release schedule of confirmed games:

this makes me so sad :(

what the fuck.
nintendo, release some games. this is awful.

maeda

Reading the comments by the dev team made me feel extremely shitty... sacrificing time with your family for nothing! Those execs at Ubi are a bunch off assholes!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Ubisoft burnt their bridge with me.

I may find it hard to buy this game brand new now, and may either buy it used to spite them (despite the fact I don't buy used games), or buy it when it's 20 bucks brand new.

I was looking forward to this on my Wii U, and the least they could have done, is make it a timed exclusive, where it would still come out this month on Wii U, and then 360/PS3 in September.

Ubisoft is a bunch of sellouts. They're afraid to keep something exclusive to Wii U, but they can keep some of their games exclusive to other systems? They're no better than the broke fanboy - wannabe gamers - out there who bash the systems they can't afford to own. They're playing fanboy/money grubbing men in suits with this decision.

If this was truly for the fans, they would acknowledge the fans, by releasing the Wii U version on time, or in the next few weeks, and the other systems later.

Greed, that's what this is about - and lies. I hope GTA V beats this game and Ubisofts forecasts to a pulp, because first off, they were stupid enough to release this the same month as GTA V, and the second stupid move, was depriving Wii U fans waiting for this game, their rights to play this game earlier than those wanting it on 360/PS3.

Pitiful excuse of a company. Just pitiful. Can't wait until this game slips under the radar in sales, because Ubisoft tailored to the PS3/360 crowd, but spit in the face of those who bought a Wii U for this game.

Green Yoshi

If Yoshis Yarn will be released in September and a 3D-Mario is announced for November at E3, Rayman Legends will have a very hard time in shops.

AGITΩ

The only thing good to come out of this...It's really easy to rack up on your Miiverse Yeah's by posting something Negative on the uPlay Miiverse in regards to Rayman. I've gotten 60 in the past 40 minutes

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think this might actually be a bad idea for this game. Rayman Origins was a pretty big craterer so you'd think the extra attention would be nice for a game like this. Waiting until September...I dunno, it might sell really badly.

Listen, I'm sorry for saying douche. I just feel that if you already owned a Wii U in September it's kind of silly to buy it for another system. Especially (and maybe exclusively) for people who've been complaining about the lack of 3rd party games coming day and date on the system.

And if that Dev story is true, I feel really bad for them. I can only imagine the sales of Zombi U/Rabbids Land or whatever weren't up to scratch and the executives panicked.

But I have 2 360s and 4 controllers so the whole family can play, just like we did with Origins. Now I don't have to buy 2 more wiimotes to play this like I was planning on doing if this were releasing for the WiiU.

I went through this same process when buying Sonic All Star Racing and also decided on the xbox version for the exact same reason. (Also, I didn't know how the WiiU pad integrated with others playing on wiimotes. The whole system is a mess right now.)

Bottom line is that if it were coming out in 3 weeks for the WiiU, I would have bought it day 1. The situation has changed and given the new options available I will no longer be buying it day 1 due to competition that month, nor will I be buying it for the WiiU for the reasons I cited above.

I really think Ubisoft made a poor decision here, and the WiiU will end up paying the biggest price for the decision.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

HaLfzuj.jpg

Good going Ubisoft. The Miiverse posts are a joy to watch.

evangd007

Wait, this is even worse. Ubi craps on fans, Wii U owners, and dicks over its own employees, just to sell this to an audience that had no interest the first go around?

Montpellier is Ubisoft's whipping boy. Sucks because they are the only Ubisoft studio I respect. <3 Ancel.

This also presumably means that the following 6 months go to porting instead of more important things, like progressing on Beyond Good & Evil 2.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

These are flyover games.

I'll gladly get a Wii U when it has Mario Kart, Zelda, real Mario or a really good 2D Mario (not by some of your selective opinions but 94+% aggregate rating...the quality of a real Mario game), etc.

Until then, wow that lineup is horrible.

I didn't even know this game was exclusive to the Wii U, I naturally assumed that it would be coming to the 360 and PS3, so I can't say I'm surprised that they decided to do this.

This game would've totally bombed on the Wii U even more than it's probably going to anyway.

Top Bottom