• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

Love the magic of Disney in general. Hopefully it will be shared for generations to come and not just a $$$$$$ making exercise for those running the corporation.

The Disney Princess line is basically just a marketing brand, created by Disney Consumer Products. If there's a Disney-branded thing that you can buy, Then Disney Consumer Products probably had a hand in it.

- Merida from Brave is in, despite the director intending Brave to be a subversion of Disney Princess stereotypes, because her toys sell well.
- Mulan is in, despite not technically being a Princess, because her toys sell well.
- Anna & Elsa are in, despite Anna being a Queen, because she looks young and their toys are selling amazingly well.
- Meg is not in, because her toys don't sell.
- Nala is not in, because she's a furry, and doesn't fit with a line that was built on uniformity.

The direct-to-video sequels were initially just a cheap moneygrab pushed by Eisner, and not part of the marketing plans of Disney Consumer Products. When Lasseter took over, one of his first orders was that all of the cheap sequels had to end... unless DCP said they specifically wanted them. DCP has a ton of power, because the Disney Princess line of merchandise rakes in epic amounts of money.

Tinkerbell's toys have been selling amazingly well for ages, so one would expect that she'd be an easy pick for the Disney Princess line, but DCP invented an entirely different line around her, the Disney Fairies line.

Thats why I like how Nintendo is going to start with amiibo, all figures, modern and legacy, thanks to smash bros. Its pretty sad Disney are not putting old characters in the infinity line.

Fjordson

I'm going to Disney Land in a few weeks. Can't wait, haven't been in probably 3-4 years.

Even though I'm in my late 20's I still find the Disney parks to be a lot of fun, as does my wife. And my sister and her husband will be going with us and it'll be her son's first time at the park, so getting to show my nephew some of these classic rides and areas of the park will be pretty neat.

xeris

So i was looking at the Walt Disney treasures DVD sets and damn are they expensive as hell now they are OOP. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DPHDC4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does anyone know if these sets include everything that said character was in? because if so then i'd probably get it but at a later date. Pretty crazy how expensive the volumes are for Goofy, Mickey, Donald and Pluto. Beautiful looking sets though.

I have the Goofy one and that as far as I can tell has every solo Goofy cartoon for the period it covers. I wold assume the others are pretty similar, although the Donald one may not contain some of the WWII stuff since that was in a different collection. And looking at those prices, I'm glad I got the ones I wanted when they were released. Ouch.

TEJ

I think that GoTG is the riskiest of the MCU movies but if it does well enough we could see more risky marvel properties on the big screen.

Like, what about a cloak and dagger movie?

bfwings55

Just got back from (my billionth) trip to WDW. First time there with friends. Had a blast. Some takeaways:

- We used Disney Vacation Club points for the room, and we ended up staying in three different resorts over a week. It was actually kind of fun.
- The Villas at Grand Floridian are FUCKING INCREDIBLE
- Mine Train was lots of fun. Went to the park before it opened (first time I've done that) and waited about 30 minutes for it.
- Finally got a Be Our Guest reservation. Holy shit that place is amazing.
- Did Country Bear Jamboree and Hall of Presidents for the first time in years, and goddamn was that fun. Both were definitely highlights.
- there is not one SINGLE PIECE OF FROZEN MERCHANDISE ON THE ENTIRE PROPERTY. IT IS ALL SOLD OUT.
- Went to the Boardwalk for the first time. That area is so awesome. I want to stay at The Beach Club next time.
- Downtown Disney sucked. I'm finally at an age when I could go to Pleasure Island and drink with friends and they closed all the clubs and stuff. They're doing a bunch of construction right now and maybe when it's done the area will be better but right now with all of the walls for the construction the crowds are unbearable and it's so claustrophobic, plus there's nowhere to eat or drink without a reservation or 2 hour wait.
- After leaving Downtown disney we went back to our hotel (Old Key West) and went to this tiny bar there called the Gurgling Suitcase. That place was rad. Small bar with lots of good drinks, no crowd, super nice bartender, and pool right outside.

So I came across these:

Disney Girls In Real Life

alice.jpg

aurora2.jpg

bellebeauty.jpg

cinderella1.jpg

esmeralda.jpg

jasmine1.jpg

Wendy.jpg

littlemermaid.jpg

megara.jpg

tinkerbell.jpg

mulan1.jpg

pocahontas.jpg

rapunzel1.jpg

snowwhite.jpg

tiana1.jpg

jane.jpg

Hex

Banned
I think that GoTG is the riskiest of the MCU movies but if it does well enough we could see more risky marvel properties on the big screen.

Like, what about a cloak and dagger movie?
Cloak and Dagger are more suited for Netflix line of seriez

TEJ

Well, then there should be a she-hulk - ace attorney series on netflix. Oh god disney, make this happen!

Downtown Disney sucked.

Well at the very least it's good that they are fast-tracking the whole Disney Springs thing. Looks like it will be pretty decent once it's done (supposedly in 2016?). Even though I have little interest in most of the big themed restaurants, it's always nice to spend an evening wandering around there, especially via the boat ride from Port Orleans Riverside. Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie sundae is worth the trip by itself. Holy lord is that good.

Seriously considering dropping a little cash on 50 or 60 DVC points via resale. Onsite hotel prices are getting out of hand and it seems like a pretty good hedge as long as you go once every 2 or 3 years. Basically would be the only way I could even begin to afford to stay at the Deluxe resorts for the foreseeable future. A friend of mine was quoted 700 bucks a night for a standard room at the Poly a couple of months ago. Insanity.

xeris

Well at the very least it's good that they are fast-tracking the whole Disney Springs thing. Looks like it will be pretty decent once it's done (supposedly in 2016?). Even though I have little interest in most of the big themed restaurants, it's always nice to spend an evening wandering around there, especially via the boat ride from Port Orleans Riverside. Ghirardelli Midnight Reverie sundae is worth the trip by itself. Holy lord is that good.

Seriously considering dropping a little cash on 50 or 60 DVC points via resale. Onsite hotel prices are getting out of hand and it seems like a pretty good hedge as long as you go once every 2 or 3 years. Basically would be the only way I could even begin to afford to stay at the Deluxe resorts for the foreseeable future. A friend of mine was quoted 700 bucks a night for a standard room at the Poly a couple of months ago. Insanity.

That seems high, although it's been a couple years since I've looked. Was that during one of the major holiday seasons?

bfwings55

We stayed at Port Orleans as the first of our three hotels. It was nice, and we did get to walk from Downtown disney to our room (but only because we had taken the bus from the Boardwalk to Downtown Disney just so we could get back to the room). The Boardwalk was infinitely nicer to walk around at and less crowded and everything. I do like the Marketplace area of Downtown Disney okay, but unless this expansion adds a shit ton of space and dining options I'm cool with staying away from the West Side.

Cheerilee

So I finally got around to watching the fifth (or sixth, depending on your numbering) Tinkerbell movie, "The Pirate Fairy", and it was terrible.

It actively betrays basically every other movie in the series. And everything that I just said was good about the series? The Pirate Fairy doesn't have any of that.

Glancing at the special features, it appears that the writers room was just sitting around saying "Does anyone have any ideas for a movie? Nope, we completely ran out." And then Lasseter jumped up and said "I got it! ... Pirates." and everyone else said "Pack it up, we're done. That's enough genius to fill an entire movie." Which is crazy because "Pirates" is actually a bad idea, and the Tinkerbell universe has an abundance of material in book and comic form which can be (and has been) used to fuel better Tinkerbell movies.

xeris

So I finally got around to watching the fifth (or sixth, depending on your numbering) Tinkerbell movie, "The Pirate Fairy", and it was terrible.

It actively betrays basically every other movie in the series. And everything that I just said was good about the series? The Pirate Fairy doesn't have any of that.

Glancing at the special features, it appears that the writers room was just sitting around saying "Does anyone have any ideas for a movie? Nope, we completely ran out." And then Lasseter jumped up and said "I got it! ... Pirates." and everyone else said "Pack it up, we're done. That's enough genius to fill an entire movie." Which is crazy because "Pirates" is actually a bad idea, and the Tinkerbell universe has an abundance of material in book and comic form which can be (and has been) used to fuel better Tinkerbell movies.

I haven't seen that one but was kinda thinking it'd be like that. When I think Tinkerbell and pirates I think Hook. I liked the rest of em and the shorts that they run on Disney Jr., but that one seemed like one step too far when I saw the ads.

Cheerilee

I haven't seen that one but was kinda thinking it'd be like that. When I think Tinkerbell and pirates I think Hook. I liked the rest of em and the shorts that they run on Disney Jr., but that one seemed like one step too far when I saw the ads.

It is Hook. The film plays with that as a surprise which might fool a five-year-old, if they hadn't put Hook on the box art, and explicitly said on the back of the box "Yeah, it's Hook."

Also, the protagonist of the film isn't Tinkerbell, it's a new character, with all the appeal of Poochie (from the Simpsons). Did you notice how they stopped calling the movies "Tinkerbell and the..."? It's so that they could get away from Tinkerbell and start making new characters, nevermind the good job they were already doing with characters in the movies, or the large number of characters in other fiction which they haven't touched on yet (and they're seemingly ignoring).

The movie opens up with a terrorist attack on the Pixie Olympics (Hah, did you enjoy those? Then fuck you.) A nonviolent terrorist attack (WTF?) with the willful and clearly-spelled-out consequence of killing 25% of the Pixie population. Performed by the supposed protagonist. For no real reason. And then she introduces Hook to Neverland, also for no real reason. There's zero redemption, but the Fairies take her in with "Yay, your special talent is killing us all, you're so awesome and cool!"

xeris

Oh lovely. I only saw the ads on Disney Jr. in passing and haven't seen the box, but I probably should have expected that. Luckily my son isn't into the Tinkerbell stuff much. He'll watch it if it's on, but I think this is going to enter the Pocahontas level of turning the channel quickly before he notices it. Kinda a shame since he loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

700 a night at the Polynesian? I paid 210 a night last October, and that was before the construction really was in full swing

Maybe it was marketing trying to push the boys likes pirates thing they do at the parks, put that on tinkerbell movie to have now little boys watching them. Thats what i thought when I saw the poster on the cinema at least.

I don't mind the DVC additions to the Poly but I don't like that they're using some existing buildings to convert to DVC. I've contemplated buying into Bay Lake, though. I did a split stay in May for Beach Club and the Contemporary and fell in love with the latter. Beach Club is great though, my favorite of the EPCOT resorts.

I have the Goofy one and that as far as I can tell has every solo Goofy cartoon for the period it covers. I wold assume the others are pretty similar, although the Donald one may not contain some of the WWII stuff since that was in a different collection. And looking at those prices, I'm glad I got the ones I wanted when they were released. Ouch.

Ouch indeed. Going to have to hunt them down.

ЯAW

Banned
I Wonder why Disney doesn't animate some of it's Donald Duck comic book catalogue. Don Rosa's stuff would make great movies and Barks has insane amount of material that could he turned into animated shorts.

xeris

ЯAW;119780567 said:
I Wonder why Disney doesn't animate some of it's Donald Duck comic book catalogue. Don Rosa's stuff would make great movies and Barks has insane amount of material that could he turned into animated shorts.

While I agree, some of it ended up in modified form in DuckTales. I'd love to see some new stuff tho.

TEJ

I'm going to be calling my local theater today to see if it's one of the IMAX's that's playing the 17 minutes of guardians of the galaxy. If so, I will go and give impressions later.

Top Bottom