• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, seriously, is there anyone who's not a fucking monster at UMVC3? I'm fucking sick of getting my ass handed to me. And it's not like I totally suck at fighting games--I played over 1000 matches of SFIV online, and maintained a >50% ratio--but I'm just not used to the MVC formula, and getting raped online match after match isn't helping, even if it's by GAFers.

I also find it odd that this game doesn't really have a "punishment" aspect for counter after blocking someone's combo; this gets me mutilated when I go to counter, only to find they just jumped right into another fucking combo. That, or the window of opportunity is fucking miniscule.

This isn't me "blaming the game". I know it's me, but I just want to play against someone who isn't already super-well-versed in the MVC style.

...anyone?

Ken

I also find it odd that this game doesn't really have a "punishment" aspect for counter after blocking someone's combo; this gets me mutilated when I go to counter, only to find they just jumped right into another fucking combo. That, or the window of opportunity is fucking miniscule.

Use advancing guard to get them off you? I guess there is punishment for blocking someone's combo but that's dependent on how much disadvantage your attacker's attack has on block. Hawkeye's slide and blocked launcher is super unsafe, so you have all the time in the world to punish. Same with Taskmaster's shield. Nova's slide isn't safe either, but it's a little harder to punish online.

If you still want to play, I'll choose a team of characters I'm still learning.

Thoraxes

Ok, seriously, is there anyone who's not a fucking monster at UMVC3? I'm fucking sick of getting my ass handed to me. And it's not like I totally suck at fighting games--I played over 1000 matches of SFIV online, and maintained a >50% ratio--but I'm just not used to the MVC formula, and getting raped online match after match isn't helping, even if it's by GAFers.

This isn't me "blaming the game". I know it's me, but I just want to play against someone who isn't already super-well-versed in the MVC style.

...anyone?

Welcome to the fighting game community? :(

Use advancing guard to get them off you?

That's just pressing toward them just as they attack instead of away, right? Does that work mid-combo?

As I've said, I'm very new to this game, so you may need to be a bit pedantic :p

I may just watch some YT videos tomorrow to familiarize myself more with the systems.

Welcome to the fighting game community? :(

I'm not blaming the community; the GAFers (and others) I faced did nothing wrong. They're playing the game. I'd just like a curve that's a little more gentle than 89 degrees :p

JWong

Banned
Hmm, might buy this when I trade in Ninja Gaiden.

Also, what fighting game would GAF reccomend? UMvC3 or Blazblue? Does either one have online play?

I've bought BlazBlue couple weeks ago and I haven't even touched online yet.

There's so much single player story content that I need to complete. Great dialogue.

Ken

That's just pressing toward them just as they attack instead of away, right? Does that work mid-combo?

As I've said, I'm very new to this game, so you may need to be a bit pedantic :p

I may just watch some YT videos tomorrow to familiarize myself more with the systems.

While blocking, press Square and Triangle as they attack and it will push them away from you.

Thoraxes

I'm not blaming the community; the GAFers (and others) I faced did nothing wrong. They're playing the game. I'd just like a curve that's a little more gentle than 89 degrees :p

Oh I know, I just definitely always do feel the same way as you though. I think that's most of the reason I can't really get into fighters as a whole a lot.

I'll try not to, promise. :D

I'm also not really in the mood to have someone go easy, and just as I think I'm getting some momentum, they turn it back up and crush me again :p

There's really no "right" answer when the skill gap is large: If you "play nice", you're bored and I feel like I'm being patronised.

Edit: Is there some kind of handicap mode we can enable online? Like... 10-1? :p

Ken

I'm also not really in the mood to have someone go easy, and just as I think I'm getting some momentum, they turn it back up and crush me again :p

There's really no "right" answer when the skill gap is large: If you "play nice", you're bored and I feel like I'm being patronised.

Well, I'm trying to new characters too so I don't think the skill gap will affect much; if anything I'll be sticking to super basic stuff and you could possibly learn from that?

Anyways, it's up to you. If you want to play again, send me a message whenever.

Only tip I have is to learn some BnB combos and go from there. Wolverine has some pretty easy stuff and so does Zero as long as you aren't trying anything fancy. Dante is pretty tough for me since I can't do bold cancels (plinks in SFIV I think? I'm garbage at SF so I'm not sure) which limits off what I can do with him. Go check out shoryuken's character forums and go into training mode for a bit.

Well, I'm trying to new characters too so I don't think the skill gap will affect much; if anything I'll be sticking to super basic stuff and you could possibly learn from that?

Anyways, it's up to you. If you want to play again, send me a message whenever.

Only tip I have is to learn some BnB combos and go from there. Wolverine has some pretty easy stuff and so does Zero as long as you aren't trying anything fancy. Dante is pretty tough for me since I can't do bold cancels (plinks in SFIV I think? I'm garbage at SF so I'm not sure) which limits off what I can do with him.

Takin' it to the new thread! And that goes for the rest of you guys! :p

Haha, I'm sorry about the UMvC3 stuff. Truth be told, I don't think I'm so good at it, I've played a lot of people who wipe the floor with me. I get absolutely demolished online a lot of the time.

Manp

http://imgur.com/rR2Me.jpg[IMG]

See the vertical lines on the screen (sorry for the crappy cellphone pic)? Is this as common a problem as the blotches? Its really visible for me especially when using the browser at the lowest brightness setting and viewing sites with dark backgrounds. Panning around shows them very visibly since the entire screen is affected it seems.[/QUOTE]

that's exactly how mine looks like

:)

fr4nz

My vita tells me that the live area screen of Katamari was updated.
It shows me now that 2 dlc are available, but when I click on it, the psn store opens and nothing is available ... (euro account here) WTF?

Ran rp

My vita tells me that the live area screen of Katamari was updated.
It shows me now that 2 dlc are available, but when I click on it, the psn store opens and nothing is available ... (euro account here) WTF?

It says that they will be available in late March. I misread it too and checked the store like three times for the DLC, lol.

fr4nz

PSY・S;36046010 said:
It says that they will be available in late March. I misread it too and checked the store like three times for the DLC, lol.

ha. damn :/

but I should see the first dlc, no ?

gkryhewy

PS Vita is nailing one aspect of gaming very quietly: High Scores.

So many of my Vita games have leaderboards you can compare to the world, or your friends list. These leaderboards keep me coming back. So even if you got 3 medals in a Motorstorm RC event, you still want to replay to beat your friends score. This is also the case with Wipeout, Unit 13, Lumines, and others.

And Near's ability to send challenges to your friends and neighbors amplifies the joy of beating high scores even further.

Not that high scores are new on Vita. Many current-games such as Burnout Paradise and SSX have friend's leaderboards. But Vita's leaderboards seem to be built into the SDK.

This is the case for every single scoreable 360 game, XBLA or retail. Not the same for PS3/PSN, I guess? Yes, it's a very important feature.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Which is the best GTA game to get out of vice city and liberty city stories, for someone who has never played one properly (I always get frustrated at the controls early on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom