• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Just picked up £30 of PSN dosh off of GAME to use up my reward points. What do you recommend i pick up?

Already have

-Escape Plan
-Frobisher Says
-Hustle Kings
-Motorstorm RC + DLC
-Mutant Blobs
-Stardust
-Everybody's Golf
-Rayman
-Uncharted
-Wipeout.

Thinking maybe Unit 13...?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm enjoying Unit 13 - it has it's problems, but if you like the tactical shooter thing it's worth a punt.

No Fifa? You are in the UK after all, it's law that you have to own it! ;)

Durante

It's not an option. Something like that isn't a switch. You either build the OS and Game for it, or you don't.[...]
I have no idea what you are talking about. It's not some kind of black art to build a system that gives the user control over which power/performance trade-off to make.

btkadams

I took two screens, maybe this is normal and I'm just freaking out for no reason?

img_8298zgujd.jpg

img_8299emuw7.jpg

See how the colors are a lot lighter in the second picture? This also happens if I tilt it sideways.

hmm...i will have to check that part in uncharted later, but i checked earlier with a different game and it wasn't noticeable like that. what screen protector do you have on? i have the official sony one.

I NEED Monster Hunter on this, bad. I'm almost at the point of double dipping and starting Unite from scratch again.

Although I know the second I do that, a Vita MH will be announced. I just know it. Was looking at some of the intros on youtube today and it just reminded me how totally awesome the game was (Though a next gen MH where the gameplay more closely resembles those openings would be insane).

Anyhow, just wanted to share. Loving the Vita so far.

Grinchy

Banned
I NEED Monster Hunter on this, bad. I'm almost at the point of double dipping and starting Unite from scratch again.

Although I know the second I do that, a Vita MH will be announced. I just know it. Was looking at some of the intros on youtube today and it just reminded me how totally awesome the game was (Though a next gen MH where the gameplay more closely resembles those openings would be insane).

Anyhow, just wanted to share. Loving the Vita so far.

Just curious- Why can't you transfer your current MH save over?

And yeah MH is really awesome on Vita. It's my most played game on Vita so far lol

MooMoo

So yeah, Vita is awesome. No regrets at all! :D I do notice some of those vertical lines on the screen that people were talking about but I have no dead pixels and minimal to no black splotches. I guess I'll just suck it up and deal with the vertical lines. Been tinkering with this thing for 2 hours straight and I just can't stop!

Just curious- Why can't you transfer your current MH save over?

And yeah MH is really awesome on Vita. It's my most played game on Vita so far lol

Because I have over 400 hours on it. I want to have the full MH experience, like fighting with yellow sharpness weapons and no armor and the like. I could do it even with an advanced save, but I know I won't. I'd just do the advanced quests.

Not counting the fact I have no idea how to transfer the save, but I'm sure I could find that out if needed.

snap0212

So yeah, Vita is awesome. No regrets at all! :D I do notice some of those vertical lines on the screen that people were talking about but I have no dead pixels and minimal to no black splotches. I guess I'll just suck it up and deal with the vertical lines. Been tinkering with this thing for 2 hours straight and I just can't stop!
Amazing device, yes. Congrats on getting one. :)

Shadow780

Does Vita support Ad Hoc Party?

There is a trophy that I need to get in DWNext with ad hoc and I can't find local players to play with, should've included true online, fuck you KOEI.

patsu

Is music unlimited worth it?

I'm trying the 30 day trail, and it seems like a neat little app.

It depends on your usage.

I have my PS3 in the office for breaks. I listen to classical music on Music Unlimited every weekday in my office non-stop.

The new download option is great. I created an offline playlist on my Vita last week. Works pretty well. I can listen to the playlist while I surf or play games on Vita.

I'm waiting for the iOS version to hit this quarter. I hope they expand the library to include foreign songs.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've been meaning to ask this since launch day: I thought oleds had great viewing angles? Whenever I tilt my vita slightly in any direction the colors change dramatically.
Yes, and it's like that on every Vita I've seen so far. No screen protectors either.
I don't believe anyone who says it's PERFECT and unchanging.

You can check on any screen, but a good example is the PS Store.
Lots of blue in the PS Store, but when you tilt, it's all purple.
Basically, colors are warmer straight on, and they should be, colors go cool when you tilt.

I can deal with it as I don't usually game at an angle, but my IPS monitor is definitely the winner in this regard.

Snowballo

I just received this Hori Filter (Glossy) from a store here in Italy.
Comparing it to the original one I see on the web, I notice differences.

Can you owner confirm that you received the one in the picture 2 (so that is confirmed that mine is a fake version made in China)?

Thanks.

The one I received (1)
scaled.php

The original one (2)
hori-screen-protector-for-ps-vita.jpg

MooMoo

Amazing device, yes. Congrats on getting one. :)
Haha thanks :3 Good thing Spring Break is next week!

Also, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but if I have a PSP game off of the 'not officially supported PSP games' list (i.e. LBP), is there any one I can get it on my Vita if I only have a PSP? I'm assuming not since everything I've read thus far involves a PS3 -> Vita transfer rather than a PSP -> PC -> Vita transfer.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Canabalt mini came out this week but it doesn't appear on the Vita store, Sony really need to sort this out, I had to wait to get home and download via the PS3 store, why on earth are they not on the ball with this stuff.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Haha thanks :3 Good thing Spring Break is next week!

Also, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but if I have a PSP game off of the 'not officially supported PSP games' list (i.e. LBP), is there any one I can get it on my Vita if I only have a PSP? I'm assuming not since everything I've read thus far involves a PS3 -> Vita transfer rather than a PSP -> PC -> Vita transfer.

Unfortunately not - the only way you can transfer is to connect the Vita to the internet direct, connect it to a PC, or connect it to a PS3 and, in the case of the last two, via the Connect application.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
jesus christ, with the Katamari demo now up on the store, now I'm even tempted to pick that up at some point. I cannot do this. My wallet cannot do this. I need to pace myself.

test_account

XP-39C²
See how the colors are a lot lighter in the second picture? This also happens if I tilt it sideways.
Do you have tilt aiming on in Uncharted? That is the only reason i can think of, maybe some bug in the game. I havnt seen this in any other game i've been playing at least.

Canabalt mini came out this week but it doesn't appear on the Vita store, Sony really need to sort this out, I had to wait to get home and download via the PS3 store, why on earth are they not on the ball with this stuff.
The game appears if you manually search for it. No idea why it isnt in the "lastest releases" list though.

-Winnie-

Okay, apologies if this has been brought up before... but why the hell does the PS/home button keep on flashing blue once every 15 minutes or so while in standby?
I thought it's only supposed to light up when there's a new notification, but it'll flash, I'll turn it on and there'll be nothing new. Really annoying.

Shadow780

Okay, apologies if this has been brought up before... but why the hell does the PS/home button keep on flashing blue once every 15 minutes or so while in standby?
I thought it's only supposed to light up when there's a new notification, but it'll flash, I'll turn it on and there'll be nothing new. Really annoying.

PS button
Check the status of your PS Vita system by seeing how the PS button lights up or blinks:

Lights up blue The system is on (including when power is being supplied).

Blinks in blue The system is entering standby mode.

Blinks slowly in blue There are new notifications, such as those generated when messages arrive.

Lights up orange The system is charging, either in standby mode or when the system is turned off completely.

Blinks in orange The system is charging, but the battery charge is too low to turn on the system. In this case, wait until the PS button lights up orange.

areal

So it works on the Vita? How is it?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
The game appears if you manually search for it. No idea why it isnt in the "lastest releases" list though.

Yeah your right, I went to "latest" and looked in the minis A-C section, doesn't even appear in there either, oh well, I'll make sure I'll use the actual search box in future.

So it works on the Vita? How is it?

Yep works fine, just the same as the ios version although no online leader boards :-(, can't really complain for the price though, glad I picked it up.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Well it would seem like it's doing this... so maybe it's jumping in and out of standby mode on its own... but not turning the screen on. wat?
If the blinking blue never stops then your Vita crashed. Hold the power button for 20+ seconds until you enter the recovery mode and select reboot.

EDIT: I mean constant flashing.

patsu

May be it's waking up every 15 minutes to check XMB messages, and then goes back to standby mode again.

Do you have Group Messaging set to refresh every 15 minutes ?

MooMoo

Unfortunately not - the only way you can transfer is to connect the Vita to the internet direct, connect it to a PC, or connect it to a PS3 and, in the case of the last two, via the Connect application.
I figured so, thanks for answering! Can't wait until I have all the little things about the system figured out. Kinda wish the box came with a physical manual. The Sony site manual is always really laggy for me for some odd reason.

Neifirst

Well, I got my Vita today, but the rear touch panel doesn't seem to work at all. I've got a replacement on the way from Amazon, but it's disappointing, particularly since there aren't any dead pixels and everything else seems to be in working order.

I copied all of my PSP saves, 4 PSP games, and 17 Vita demos onto my 32gb card before I discovered the defect. Can I just pop it into my replacement system, or do I need to do some sort of reset?

-Winnie-

May be it's waking up every 15 minutes to check XMB messages, and then goes back to standby mode again.

Do you have Group Messaging set to refresh every 15 minutes ?

I've got it set to an hour, but I guess I don't notice exactly how often it flashes, it just feels like it's happening often. haha
But if it wakes up and has to go back to sleep like that each time it checks, then I guess this is the answer. Still annoying that the light flashes because I keep thinking I've gotten a new notification!

foreveralone.jpeg

yurinka

I don't know where I spotted the HSG demo somewhere (a weird place) in the Spanish PS3 store. After a while I tried to find it again, but I think they removed it.

After this I went to the Vita download list and it was there! Nice Katamari and HSG demo!

yurinka

I don't think you're ever going to see that. For the exact same reasons the iPhone and iPad have ignored it, and most people aren't bothered by it. Flash is being phased out, not phased in.
Sony said they are working to bring Flash to Vita.
iPhone and iPad doesn't have Flash just because they Apple afraid of Flash browser apps and games (casual sites + Facebook), which would hurt their Appstore ecosystem. Android and Sony support Flash. Recently PS Certified Android devices were supported by Adobe Air, their app to convert Flash games to native apps. And Vita is from their family.

Disappointed with the lack of content on the PS Store already. That's 2/4 weeks where nothing has been put on the store.
What are you talking about? There have been things on the store for Vita every week since launch. It may not all be to your liking, but there have been some stuff. If you guys are expecting new game releases each and every week, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. That's just not gonna happen.

Eusis

hmm...i will have to check that part in uncharted later, but i checked earlier with a different game and it wasn't noticeable like that. what screen protector do you have on? i have the official sony one.
That's the key question. It's like that for me and it's with the Hori filter, but like said I swear I didn't notice that kind of difference before applying it. Not a big deal, it's still better by far then my iPod or my 3DS.

Hey, I guess this is more of a Vita tech question.

In Uncharted, when you hold the vita up to a light source, how does that work? Is it the camera? I noticed it notified me that the network features were disabled after I was done, so I'm assuming it turned them on for some reason.

Grinchy

Banned
(Mutant Blobs Attack) Someone on here, beat this score so I can go back and try to do better.

1on1Vl.jpg

And I tried the Hot Shots demo. I like it, but I'm not sure I need it. It seems to play a lot like the PS3 version.

Kerrby

Banned
What are you talking about? There have been things on the store for Vita every week since launch. It may not all be to your liking, but there have been some stuff. If you guys are expecting new game releases each and every week, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. That's just not gonna happen.

Such as? Where are all these games? I live in a PAL territory so games like DLC Racer and that shitty AR Fighter came out at launch so there's been 2/4 weeks where nothing has been added to the store and next week it looks like there's no games coming out.

patsu

Sony said they are working to bring Flash to Vita.
iPhone and iPad doesn't have Flash just because they Apple afraid of Flash browser apps and games (casual sites + Facebook), which would hurt their Appstore ecosystem. Android and Sony support Flash. Recently PS Certified Android devices were supported by Adobe Air, their app to convert Flash games to native apps. And Vita is from their family.

Might as well improve the HTML5 support. I thought Adobe is working on Flash-to-HTML5 convertor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom