• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Grief.exe

So, the GOTY editions of the game got GFWL patched out and given away to owners of the regular versions?

I wonder if the regular version will be patched as well. It's listed on the page for today's Batman sale.

Both my saves are in the regular versions. If they're not patched, I wouldn't lose them.

You can't purchase regular versions of Batman anymore so it shouldn't be an issue.

fantomena

Thanks WB/Gabe.

4a4cf5d01d.png

In classic computer game doctrine the DRM world is to be despised, and games are to be redeemed in the hereafter, in heaven, where our rewards come ~Bill Moyer

+1 sale for doing this. Someone should send the sales data to Crytek RE: Crysis' DRM.

if i got hired by valve, on my first day of work i would remove all the fucking punctuation errors, trademarks, mis-alphabetized sequels and other bullshit from the steam library and then i would quit, knowing that i contributed more to steam than anyone else who ever worked there did.

This drives me fucking crazy:

Why is Witcher 1 after Witcher 2!? I kept hoping that when the enchanced edition of Two came out, it'd get fixed. But, nope.

Moaradin

They gave me the GOTY edition when I only had the regular version. Pretty cool WB! Now I have a reason to replay this game.

So my GFWL achievements for AA will always be incomplete?

That kinda sucks :\ I wanted to 100% it.

I think I finished my AA 100%, but I'd better double check. But I'm in the not 100% boat for AC, and losing the save file really hurts as well. Still had side quests to do. Between this and how quickly Live was pulled for the OG Xbox, I'm not very optimistic for the day when Microsoft kills XBL for 360.

Just the other day I realized for the first time that the whole MS Points -> Local Currency conversion changed all 'never expire' points to 'better use your $200+ by 2015 asshole' currency. MSFT I'm really trying to like you guys.. but you're making it really hard.

vg260

My Arkham City 100% save game is now meaningless? ;_;

There is a way to convert the non-GOTY AC save to the one compatible with the GOTY/steam version. You have to modify the text headers on some files. (or maybe hex-edit. I don't recall)

I had a completed save on the non-Steam one I converted when I got the Steam GOTY version, and it worked.

I had to hunt it down in some Batman forums. I don't have access to it now, but hopefully it will re-emerge or I can find it later. I'd try to find and backup your GFWL saves before updating Steam.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent stuff, so happy it's finally happened! Will finally play AC.

It's nice to see them give regular owners the GOTY versions as well. Very good and might even lead to a few more folk picking up Arkham Origins.

So do the games automatically activate the Steam achievements if you earned them with the GFWL achievements (sorry, I haven't read through the thread to find out if this has been answered or not).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
By the way, I believe AA to be a better game than AC.

They went crazy collect-a-thon on AC, and the open world aspect of it doesn't really benefit the game. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game... it's... it's just too much.

Everybody should get AA for the sale price.

Sulik2

Dang, I should have finished getting all 1000 in AA before they removed the achievements. Overall this a good thing though, GFL was so janky.

Grief.exe

So do the games automatically activate the Steam achievements if you earned them with the GFWL achievements (sorry, I haven't read through the thread to find out if this has been answered or not).

GFWL is completely gone, no way for the services to communicate. On top of that, your saves are not compatible, so they cannot parse them from that data.

In Bioshock 2 your saves were compatible, but the hooks only activated if you did the action.

kuYuri

wMj0A6k.gif

There is a way to convert the non-GOTY AC save to the one compatible with the GOTY/steam version. You have to modify the text headers on some files. (or maybe hex-edit. I don't recall)

I had a completed save on the non-Steam one I converted when I got the Steam GOTY version, and it worked.

I had to hunt it down in some Batman forums. I don't have access to it now, but hopefully it will re-emerge or I can find it later. I'd try to find and backup your GFWL saves before updating Steam.

I've always had the GotY version of AC, so I guess this only affects non-GotY?

This is such great news.

I'm really glad GFWL going under turned out this way. When I first heard it was shutting down I figured we would just lose everything.

Now I just need Dark Souls to do something and I'm free of GFWL forever.

Might give AC another shake. Rage quit that hot GFWL mess after it ate my save 15 hours into the game. I see the GOTY edition in my library now, so that's cool.

I already had the GFWL version of Arkham City. Now that I've activated the key on Steam, could I just move the Arkham City folder over to the steamapps/common folder rather than downloading all over again?

ClearData

So I can uninstall vanilla Batman AC from my hard drive and Steam should eventually remove it to the GFWL beyond? Is there any reason not to delete it? Because I would not mind getting that hard drive space back.

Derrick01

Banned
By the way, I believe AA to be a better game than AC.

They went crazy collect-a-thon on AC, and the open world aspect of it doesn't really benefit the game. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game... it's... it's just too much.

Everybody should get AA for the sale price.

I do agree that the open world wasn't that good as far as side missions went (they were almost all awful) but it was fun to glide around as Batman and getting the jump on a group of thugs who were patrolling an area.

The collectibles use the same formula they used in AA so if you liked it there then it's hard not to like it in AC, there's just waaaay more of them in AC (400ish I think). But you still need certain abilities to get to some of them and they added some small puzzles to get many of them. They unlock a lot more challenge rooms than AA too. I loved it and I hope there's at least as many trophies/riddles in AO.

this is really strange

I uninstalled/deleted AC vanilla and the store page still says I already own GOTY edition. The catch? It still says I can click play now even though no version of AC is installed at all at the moment. Not giving me an option to download GOTY version. Restarted Steam with no luck...

Thank god I just finished my run through of AC last night, my save is away away. Kind of annoying as I was going to (finally) go around mopping up the riddler trophies, which I've never done with AC, but I don't care too much. If this had happened right before I finished, I think I'd be crying right now.

ClearData

Glad I got all my GFWL achievements on both games before it died. ^_^

I got all of them on AA, and most on AC, but it looks like I won't get the chance to and my saves are going bye-bye.

And you know what? I am happy about that. I love both games and won't mind replaying them to completion with Batman AO out in a little bit.

Plus, I'm strictly Playstation/PC/Wii U next gen. So this feels like the perfect amicable divorce from Microsoft, Xbox Live, and GFWL. I like this.

Top Bottom