• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

So, people with vanilla AC get AC GOTY added to their library, and vanilla remains GFWL while GOTY doesn't have it anymore. Am I getting this right?

Nokterian

Really wish they gave us dirty vanilla AC owners an upgrade path to the GOTY.

Yeah i am pretty pissed about this. Bought all DLC with GFWL this is just lame.

Ooohw now i see it..well what a suprise! GOTY in my library.

But i can confirm with GFWL removed this game is running like it should have since GFWL hogged the whole game down, both of them.

Can't activate my AC key from Get Games. Everyone seems to be unable to activate AC so I'm going to wait for a bit.

Going to test AA, I have that on Steam.

Grief.exe

If MS closes Live on PC does this mean games that are GFWL will no longer work?

Worst case scenario you will lose multiplayer compatibility, and have to run offline mode, cracks, or xliveless.

Best case scenario, the majority of games get GFWL patched out. It won't happen for all games since some developers are now defunct and/or not a good investment.

Your games will work though, you just may have to jump through some hoops.

Le sigh. I still cant buy Arkham City on Steam in Euro2 zone.

:-/

Be patient, they may not have removed the GFWL-imposed region lock yet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a related note, does this mean I now have a GOTY version despite not buying it?

AC already had Steam Achievements and Cloud Saves implemented from release, but was not Steamworks.

AA just got achievements today.
AC is now Steamplay.
Both are now Steamworks.

Ah I see.

Oh well, it's gonna be fun playing it again I guess. I stopped midway since it sorta lacked the pull to me that AA did :/

Raxious

Gonna replay AA and AC this week.

The only thing that's on my mind right now is wether or not I should get AO for PS3 or PC. Don't even know if it'll run on my PC.

]Worst case scenario you will lose multiplayer compatibility[/B], and have to run offline mode, cracks, or xliveless.

Best case scenario, the majority of games get GFWL patched out. It won't happen for all games since some developers are now defunct and/or not a good investment.

Also purchased DLCs.

Yes! Just bought City for $7.50. Awesome game, been wanting to support Rocksteady for awhile now. When I went to install the game there was two things to check mark, one for the game, the other or unused app 342354 or something like that, weird. Didn't check that box.

Demigod Mac

One thing about Steam that's great but rarely mentioned: Pro-customer incentives like this.

It's even better for Mac users; always a pleasant surprise to find a PC game you've owned a while suddenly appear in your available Mac games list (via SteamPlay)

Leks

What What What? My save in Arkham City is gone. I have 100%-ed the campaign with New Game+ and completed all the challenges with all characters.

More than eighty hours now in ashes. :(

This is fantastic. I had the AA GOTY and AC Vanilla, and the disparity in my Steam list just burned me up inside, but now the nightmare is finally over!

Just installed AA again and earned some Steam Achievements. Feels Goodman. It's a shame to see my 100% saves for both games go up in smoke, but these are two of my favourite games so I don't mind doing it all again. Well, don't mind that much, at least. Lets not talk about the Campaigns in AC...

alf717

Worst case scenario you will lose multiplayer compatibility, and have to run offline mode, cracks, or xliveless.

Thats good to know. I just picked up RE5 on PC wasn't sure if I would be able to play it later on down the road. Not much for multilayer so loosing that isn't a big deal to me.

Fucking hate that I'm losing my saves. But at least they upgraded me to AC GotY edition for free.

If the removal of GfWL for Dark Souls happens (and I assume it will), I HOPE they have a workaround for the save issue. Cause I am not fucking starting over.

Nokterian

What What What? My save in Arkham City is gone. I have 100%-ed the campaign with New Game+ and completed all the challenges with all characters.

With GFWL removed so are all your saves same are gone with AA.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I frequently back up my saves with GameSaveManager, so I already made an extra copy of my Batman:AA and AC saves (in case the regular editions get patched as well), but I don't think there's much you can do even if you have a backup of them.

Changing the AC save to AC:GOTY save is one thing: You basically hex edit the save profile and change the game it's assigned to. However, since this is purging the GFWL integration on the software, they probably changed the way the save files are generated, so I don't believe there will be an easy path to modify those save files to the new version.

We'll have to wait and see.

Stitch

Gold Member
AC used the Steamcloud. Would it be possible to get the save from the cloud and use it with the AC GOTY Version?

So were the Bioshock 2 saves deleted too with the update?

Will every game that has GFWL patched out lose all progress?

(Still worth it for getting rid of it)

Grief.exe

Thats good to know. I just picked up RE5 on PC wasn't sure if I would be able to play it later on down the road. Not much for multiplayer so loosing that isn't a big deal to me.

Capcom has said they are waiting for official word from Microsoft on how to proceed.

My guess is they are just placating us, Microsoft has already told them exactly what is happening and when. Capcom's policy changes was one of the reasons I began speculating on GFWL's shutdown.

GFWL does some weird encryption on save game files for some reason, it wouldn't be possible to transfer them over even if they wanted to.

Have to protect those precious achievements.
So were the Bioshock 2 saves deleted too with the update?

Will every game that has GFWL patched out lose all progress?

(Still worth it for getting rid of it)

Bioshock 2 was able to keep save progress.

AC used the Steamcloud. Would it be possible to get the save from the cloud and use it with the AC GOTY Version?

Its not that they aren't available, they aren't compatible.

vg260

I'm completely confused about the save thing. If you already had the Steam GOTY version, do you lose your save? In that case, I assume you're ok, but I'm not sure now.

Which version did you have before the update?

Eusis

Moving the save from a different folder when I reinstalled Windows worked for me before, maybe it'll work here? That was Arkham Asylum, no idea on Arkham City.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hopefully they do something about the launcher for Arkham Asylum, as you still need a mouse to hit "PLAY."

Ifrit

I actually bought AC vanilla and GOTY edition separately some time ago, should have waited for the upgrade :(

Anyways, still nice to hear about the removal of GFWL on those, I can finally start it without being afraid of losing my progress

drizzle

Axel Hertz
With GFWL removed so are all your saves same are gone with AA.

have to protect those precious achievements.

Bioshock 2 was able to keep save progress.

Its not that they aren't available, they aren't compatible.

Games for Windows Saves are different from game to game.

There are games that are 100% encrypted and assigned to a game and a profile. You can't transfer it in any way possible: HexEditing it breaks the encryption and it doesn't work. GTA4 is one of those games.

Other games are less closed down. You can move saves from different profiles by just hexediting the save itself and assigning it to another profile. They have no encryption.

There's also the games that don't assign the saves to anything nor encrypt them. Super Street Fighter IV is one example: You just need to copy one file over to another folder and bam, everything in the game is unlocked (not achievements though).

It's a case by case scenario. Batman games probably had everything inside the Games for Windows save file method, so we're screwed. Bioshock 2 probably didn't (like street fighter iv), so we're fine.

Grief.exe

Good to know. Any prediction for Dark Souls on that front?

There have been updates to the registry app, but nothing official yet. I will keep my eyes open for that one.
Dark Souls and Halo 2 are probably my most desired games to see GFWL removed.

Note: There is a facebook post from the Dark Souls page confirming the removal of GFWL. This is fake, ignore it.

Games for Windows Saves are different from game to game.

There are games that are 100% encrypted and assigned to a game and a profile. You can't transfer it in any way possible: HexEditing it breaks the encryption and it doesn't work. GTA4 is one of those games.

Other games are less closed down. You can move saves from different profiles by just hexediting the save itself and assigning it to another profile. They have no encryption.

There's also the games that don't assign the saves to anything nor encrypt them. Super Street Fighter IV is one example: You just need to copy one file over to another folder and bam, everything in the game is unlocked (not achievements though).

It's a case by case scenario. Batman games probably had everything inside the Games for Windows save file method, so we're screwed. Bioshock 2 probably didn't (like street fighter iv), so we're fine.

Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom