• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Horizon's success is Sony's next step on trek to 100 million

Destiny 2 Bundles
Red Dead Redemption 2 Bundles
Gran Turismo Sport
God of War
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Kingdom Hearts III
Dragon Quest XI (for Japan)
PS4 $199
PS4 Pro $299
Death Stranding

Those are the biggest movers for them I can think of. And who knows what the future will hold. 100 million is definitely doable but as the article says, they need to make sure they don't rest on their laurels.

Amazing console tho.

If you're counting Death Stranding (a 2019 game), then you also have to consider The Last of Us 2, which will probably sell more than any other exclusive from Sony or MS this gen.

DieH@rd

Banned
Software-wise, next 50 million PS4 consoles need to be pushed with 20+ good games per year [both exclusives and 3rd party] of varied genres [something Sony is really excelling at], which will satisfy old users and attract new ones.

The current exclusive [1st party or timed] lineup from Sony sounds very promising, and will ensure healthy 2017 and 2018 offerings.

IvorB

Yeah Sony is killing it on the games front right now. I have my various beefs with Sony and the PlayStation brand doesn't mean as much to me as it once did but I do have to recognise that they come through where it counts: on the games.

MS will want to come out swinging with Scorpio and not fuck up this time so they will bring A game.
I hope so.

I got an Xbox One shortly after launch because I loved Halo, Gears and Forza but the former two have little resonance with me anymore and I can really take-or-leave Forza. As a result I gave my Xbox One to my brother as he went off to University but have just managed to grab an Xbox One S to compliment my PS4Pro and my Switch pre-order (haven't owned a Nintendo console ever) but I do have my eyes on Scorpio. That being said, I'm cynical that it'll be as great a leap above the Pro as I've seen some claim and with Xbox lagging far behind in sales and exclusive software I hope they start to secure some great properties and maybe let their teams diversify a bit. Shit, Sony's studios still pump out sequel after sequel but between those we see some awesome new IPs and their securing of major Japanese games helps that diversity.

I'm excited to finally play Gears 4 and Halo 5. Shit, I even missed out on Sunset Overdrive (despite buying it). I've got some great stuff to play, I'm sure but thinking how long these consoles have been developed for, its quite pitiful compared to Sony. I'm kind of on the fence about this because I don't like the idea of having to own so many consoles to play everything but if all three of these companies succeed and pump out great - or at least interesting - content then its a massive win for all of us.

Software-wise, next 50 million PS4 consoles need to be pushed with 20+ good games per year [both exclusives and 3rd party] of varied genres [something Sony is really excelling at], which will satisfy old users and attract new ones.

Well, I think Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last of Us Part 2, God of War and to some extent GT Sport (in Europe) will go a long way in helping them achieve that. I disagree that 20 good games are needed since those games I mentioned will be putting in most of the work over the next couple of years. Add in a price cut and I think they're at least set for the next 20-30m console sales.

PantsuJo

If they manage to cut the price under the 200€/$, yes the will reach 100 mln units.

150€/$ could destroy the competition.

Of course they also need new exclusives, cool games and new bundles.

Edit: of course, 150$ for base Ps4, 200 for Pro.

Anarion07

If they manage to cut the price under the 200€/$, yes the will reach 100 mln units.

150€/$ could destroy the competition.

Of course they also need new exclusives, cool games and new bundles.

Edit: of course, 150$ for base Ps4, 200 for Pro.

Absolutely. The black Friday deals in Germany were 196 euros for slim/uncharted.
Literally every second person at media markt had one in their hands. I even saw a guy buying 3

DieH@rd

Banned
Bundles this holiday are going to be fucking insane.

I don't even know what will Sony elect to bundle, there is too much choice. :D

Destiny 2, RDR2, "back to roots" COD and new SW Battlefront [and relaunch of Assassins Creed, but that will most likely land with MS].

Judging at the way Sony promoted it's unveil, RDR2 bundle is a lock.

I don't even know what will Sony elect to bundle, there is too much choice. :D

Destiny 2, RDR2, "back to roots" COD and new SW Battlefront [and relaunch of Assassins Creed, but that will most likely land with MS].

Judging at the way Sony promoted it's unveil, RDR2 bundle is a lock.

giphy.gif

Parappa the Rapper Remastered will ensure worldwide numbers reach 75 million when it comes out, and after that, the long-awaited return of PlayStation's most iconic and adored platforming mascot will further push units to the big One-Oh-Oh.

Yep, good ol' Knack's gonna be putting in the work.

qanters

k SteveoTW. Pretty much the only thing on your profile other than an empty 3DS FC. Do you own a Sony device at all?

Throwing personal insults because i rightfully questioned the sales of a Sony game? Seems like you're a huge fanboy that just takes things at face value.

Do you own a device that isn't sony at all? Get your head out your ass.

FYI: I own all current gen consoles with the PS4 being my main.

ArmGunar

Sony still expects to ship 20 million PS4s during the entire fiscal year (ending March 31, 2017) – bringing the lifetime total to 60 million

they only need to ship 2.9 million units this quarter to reach that mark

In Q4 FY15, 2.3 million PS4s were shipped.

With NiOh, Horizon, NieR and Mass Effect, maybe they'll reach that 20M mark

100M can only be achieved if Studios Japan makes Knack 3: Knackvengeance. :D

Their internal guidance is 60M shipped by April 1. We will know if they managed to hit that on the next financial report.

I mean...the first 2 months of 2017...heck even march seems packed......is really the PS4 whipping its dick at everyone else......almost every week we see a new PS4 exclusive (be it 1st party of 3rd) getting reasonable high scores and critical acclaim....

From RE7 VR (only on PSVR now), to NiOh to Horizon........we have Nier Automata coming up and Persona 5....and i think i am missing out something else...

All these trumpeting will hopefully create awareness and translate to sales.

Yeah... Sony knows not to rest on its laurels...

Meanwhile we don't even get PS1 BC.

That isn't Sony resting on its laurels, that is Sony giving zero fucks.

The BC team at Sony is the team working on the 3 remasters announced at PSX. They're choosing to not work on a feature set for blanket BC but rather work on individual games lol.

CEJames

Throwing personal insults because i rightfully questioned the sales of a Sony game? Seems like you're a huge fanboy that just takes things at face value.

Do you own a device that isn't sony at all? Get your head out your ass.

FYI: I own all current gen consoles with the PS4 being my main.

k SteveoTW. You're free to look at my profile, anytime.

I feel this year might end up eclipsing 2011:

Resident Evil 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Battlefront 2
Mass Effect Andromeda
Prey
Red Dead Redemption 2
GT Sport
"Back to roots" Call of Duty
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Nintendo Switch launch + all their games.
Xbox Scorpio + whatever secret games they have in store

Likely:

Destiny 2
Assassins Creed semi-reboot
New Batman game (or other DC character)

I also suspect we might get a new Fallout game.

ASIS

It's obvious this console will reach 100 million unless they screw up BIG TIME.

They deserve it too. PS4 is the true successor to the PS2. I love it.

Hyunashi

I feel this year might end up eclipsing 2011:

Resident Evil 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Battlefront 2
Mass Effect Andromeda
Prey
Red Dead Redemption 2
GT Sport
"Back to roots" Call of Duty
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Nintendo Switch launch + all their games.
Xbox Scorpio + whatever secret games they have in store

Likely:

Destiny 2
Assassins Creed semi-reboot
New Batman game (or other DC character)

I also suspect we might get a new Fallout game.

Persona 5
Ni no Kuni 2
Dragon Quest 11

StereoVsn

I am curious why people keep saying next 50 million. Sony is going to be over 70 million by the end of this year, maybe 75 million shipped. Of course having the diverse IP list helps quite a bit but most of the folks on the sideline are mainly waiting for price drops at this point.

If PS4 can get to $199 (and it can), it will be a huge hit come BF and Christmas. While it did hit under $220 past Holiday season you can't underestimate the psychological draw of under $200 console (and whatever the equivalents are in Europe or other markets). They do need to correct pricing for Canada and Mexico though.

Some Nobody

50 mil is definitely not something they can achieve in three years, when I'm pretty sure they'll be launching the PS5. But I'll also give them the year after the launch too, which seems a lot more feasible. To be honest I think there's a pretty big correlation between sub $200 and 100 million, but that's just me.

50 mil is definitely not something they can achieve in three years

Completely disagree. The PS4 has tons of momentum at the moment, will probably be getting a permanent price drop towards the end of the year (maybe even with a game bundled) and is coming off the highest number of hardware sold in a single year ever for PlayStation. At this rate if it sells ~14 million per year for the next three years it'll breach 100 million, and with big software on the way like God of War, Spider-Man, Death Stranding and TLoU2 that is absolutely achievable. Wouldn't be surprised if it breaks that record again for most hardware sold in a year, maybe in 2018.

Sulik2

The second 50 million is an easy sell. Horizon has nothing to do with it. Its called a $99 digital only PS4. We haven't seen a properly price reduced console since the PS2 and apparently everyone has forgotten how many units a console sells when it hits a true mass market price. The floor for the PS4 is the PS2's 155 million units.

Sony is already doing to Xbone what it did against the 360 in the later years and that is "blot out the sun" except with options no arrows.

The second 50 million is an easy sell. Horizon has nothing to do with it. Its called a $99 digital only PS4. We haven't seen a properly price reduced console since the PS2 and apparently everyone has forgotten how many units a console sells when it hits a true mass market price. The floor for the PS4 is the PS2's 155 million units.

I don't think so.
The PS4 is too much of a global console for Sony to release one entirely reliant on internet.

The returns on that kind of hardware wouldn't be enough to be viable.

Yeah i can see them hitting that 100mil and even beyond.

Their line up right now looks so good. People just need to remember first 3 years of a new Sony console is rough first party wise, but after that the train leaves the station and never stops.

wazoo

OléGunner;230930001 said:
I don't think so.
The PS4 is too much of a global console for Sony to release one entirely reliant on internet.

The returns on that kind of hardware wouldn't be enough to be viable.

Still. It is right that the next sales will come from price drop mainly. The people - massmarket people - waiting now will not come due to a particular game.

Except a digital-only device where games are anything from 20-80GB is not a mass-market product.

But yeah; if they can ever get the PS4 Slim or release a super-slim version down to the $150/£150/€150 range (or lower) sales will rocket. This happened a shit load in gen 6 (I'm pretty sure the Gamecube launched at £130 here) and was a huge part of why the PS2 sold so fucken much.

MisterR

With the downward spiral the franchise has been on and the current bar for racing games, I dont expect GT Sport to do more then 3-5 million life time. I say 5 million MAYBE.

LOL no. GT6 sold that much on the PS3 after the PS4 had already launched. The first GT on the super successful PS4 will sell like hotcakes, especially in Europe.

Yeah i can see them hitting that 100mil and even beyond.

Their line up right now looks so good. People just need to remember first 3 years of a new Sony console is rough first party wise, but after that the train leaves the station and never stops.

I... don't think I agree with this. I don't really remember the early days of the PS2, but the PS3 was on track for consistent first-party releases by 2008. Heck, maybe even 2007 if you count the big holiday releases like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Warhawk and Ratchet. PS4 I'd say really started coming into its own in 2015, with stuff like Helldivers, Bloodborne, Tearaway, Rapture, Until Dawn, Uncharted Collection, etc.

Not really, a lot of people keep repeating that exclusives don't matter anymore.

Of course they matter; just probably not as much as big third-party releases.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It will sell pretty well with a $50 price drop. If they can get it to $200, that would easily propel them past 100 million. I mean the base PS4 of course.

Top Bottom