• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Horizon's success is Sony's next step on trek to 100 million

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Still no release dates for games like God Of War, Spider-Man, Detroit, Gean Turismo, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Sucker Punch new IP, and The Last Of Us Part II. It's going to be a bloodbath. Sony's 1st party is just so good.

Each month there's an exlusive releasing for PS4 it seems.

Sony is striking a rather lovely balance between big budget hitters like Horizon and Uncharted 4, niche games like the Yakuza series and Gravity Rush 2 and everything in between, like Nioh, The Last Guardian and Persona 5.

And as others have stated, there are some really big titles yet to come. GT Sport, God of War, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, The Last of Us 2.

Oh, and Knack 2 of course. Never underestimate Knack 2.

Still. It is right that the next sales will come from price drop mainly. The people - massmarket people - waiting now will not come due to a particular game.

Except a digital-only device where games are anything from 20-80GB is not a mass-market product.

Trigger has partially answered this for me.
Factor in Sony pushing into emerging economies (i.e. East Europe, parts of Asia and Africa) big time where downloading massive game files is not viable and you get the picture.

The key is to just get the price down to something below $200 and then you appeal to mass market without a compromised product that only works connected online.

N.Domixis

Banned
I don't even know what will Sony elect to bundle, there is too much choice. :D

Destiny 2, RDR2, "back to roots" COD and new SW Battlefront [and relaunch of Assassins Creed, but that will most likely land with MS].

Judging at the way Sony promoted it's unveil, RDR2 bundle is a lock.

wonder if sony locked up everything because they knew sxbox one scorpio was coming.

notaskwid

Sony is striking a rather lovely balance between big budget hitters like Horizon and Uncharted 4, niche games like the Yakuza series and Gravity Rush 2 and everything in between, like Nioh, The Last Guardian and Persona 5.

And as others have stated, there are some really big titles yet to come. GT Sport, God of War, Death Stranding, Spider-Man, The Last of Us 2.

Oh, and Knack 2 of course. Never underestimate Knack 2.
I hope Knack 2 releases around the same time as Mario Odyssey. For the memes.

I... don't think I agree with this. I don't really remember the early days of the PS2, but the PS3 was on track for consistent first-party releases by 2008. Heck, maybe even 2007 if you count the big holiday releases like Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Warhawk and Ratchet. PS4 I'd say really started coming into its own in 2015, with stuff like Helldivers, Bloodborne, Tearaway, Rapture, Until Dawn, Uncharted Collection, etc.

Of course they matter; just probably not as much as big third-party releases.

Okay 2 years then :p

For PS3 it started with MGS4 and never stopped afterwards and with PS4 it was Bloodborne, So yeah 2ish years.

Servbot24

Banned
With the downward spiral the franchise has been on and the current bar for racing games, I dont expect GT Sport to do more then 3-5 million life time. I say 5 million MAYBE.

When a single game in a six game series sells only 5 millions units and that's considered a "downward spiral", you know you have one juggernaut of a series.

I don't think it will hit 10 million, but GTS will do damage.

MisterR

wonder if sony locked up everything because they knew sxbox one scorpio was coming.

Good lord do people on Neogaf overrate the prospects for Scorpio. It's going to be an expensive niche product like the PS4 Pro. The mainstream will continue to buy base PS4s and Xbones.

Lifeline

Sony's next step to 100 Million: Knack 2

I mean if the Devs of Shadowfall and can pull this off. Knack 2 should be better than Mario Switch.

Innolis

GT Sport should move a good amount of consoles and I wouldn't put it past Sony to secure some timed exclusivity for RDR2 or even GTA 6 down the line.

I'd love to see them reach 100M

Sony's next step to 100 Million: Knack 2

I mean if the Devs of Shadowfall and can pull this off. Knack 2 should be better than Mario Switch.

Everyone that played Knack 2 at PSX already said it was a big improvement over 1 also Cerny is probably not split between being the architect of the PS5 and making Knack 2 unlike with PS4 and Knack.

Spiderman for the PS4 will also be big there hasn't been a decent Spiderman game in ages, Marvel fans want that Batman Arkham treatment for their super hero.

Interesting read, thanks for posting OP.

Sony got me with a pro in November. It was both a better tier system (coming from playing mostly PC) and the fact that the first party backlog had gotten big enough.

I have an xbone I've had since summer of '14 and I virtually never play it. With the focus on bringing MS exclusives to win10 I don't expect to ever buy another MS console. That's likely good for Sony if they keep after first and third party exclusives like they have been.

firelogic

This holiday is gonna be real great.

MS will want to come out swinging with Scorpio and not fuck up this time so they will bring A game.

Sony will probably price cut and they have a decent co marketing 1:2 punch if Destiny 2 and RDR2 come out. Plus COD and maybe Battlefront 2 depending on how that Disney deal is going since Boyes left Sony and Johnny V left Disney.

If Sony can keep the train rolling past a resurgent Xbox brand then yeah. 100m seems easy.

With the downward spiral the franchise has been on and the current bar for racing games, I dont expect GT Sport to do more then 3-5 million life time. I say 5 million MAYBE.

The thing about Scorpio is that it's not a new generation so it won't have any exclusives. That means the Scorpio is only working off of the existing library of XB1 games and anything that's in the works for XB1. There's nothing "big" coming for XB1 that we don't know about that's going to be out within this year which in turn means there's no big mystery game(s) for Scorpio. They can't come out swinging because there's not much to swing. If Scoprio was a new gen with a slew of new gen games, that'd be a different story. So maybe we'll get Crackdown with the launch?

ianpm31

Good lord do people on Neogaf overrate the prospects for Scorpio. It's going to be an expensive niche product like the PS4 Pro. The mainstream will continue to buy base PS4s and Xbones.

Not only that the Xbox has a brand problem worldwide. If people don't care about a cheaper Xbox then they sure as hell don't care about a more expensive Xbox

Zok310

Banned
Yeah... Sony knows not to rest on its laurels...

Meanwhile we don't even get PS1 BC.

Yeah right, I don't get the BC fanatics. Going back and playing those old ass games can't be the priority for any publisher interested in selling you current gen software.

alt27

Not only that the Xbox has a brand problem worldwide. If people don't care about a cheaper Xbox then they sure as hell don't care about a more expensive Xbox

So much this!

If the vast majority of console owners didnt care that much about a PS4 upgrade in the Pro, why are people going to flock to scorpio?

Answer: They wont,.

Xbox brand is dead outside of the US/UK

Its this whole USA=world thing. Meanwhile US sales of the PS4 only equate to around 30ish% last i checked.

Elandyll

Banned
Crows went extinct thanks to Horizon. That is actually how the game starts Neogaf eats too many crows causing an imbalance in our eco system which eventually leads to the first robot crows being made.
Crows have now mutated.

Carrion_Crow_Bloodborne1.jpg

Try to eat at your own risk...

Haven't read the whole article, but taking an excerpt from the quote in the OP:

This is nonsense. Sony is not going to be blasé about a hit new IP like Horizon, at all. Especially given how many misses they & Microsoft have had so far this gen (The Order, Driveclub, Quantum Break, etc). Just because they're far in front doesn't mean they will take hit software for granted - especially when it's likely they can grown Horizon to be just as important as their other hit brands like GoW, Uncharted and GT.

The whole article isn't bad, but you're right about that quote. They've put a lot of money and advertising into Horizon, just as they did with The Order. They want this to be another big franchise of theirs.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
It really does feel like PS4 has hit some new bar or something... it feels like there's always new shit to get for the system and always decent sales on PSN. Sony is nailing it.

Yeah... Sony knows not to rest on its laurels...

Meanwhile we don't even get PS1 BC.

Ps1 BC is so important that nobody knew or cared that the ps3 slim had disc based backwards compatibility with ps1 games.

Ps1 BC means absolutely zero additional systems sold. The broader market does not care.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
One game that was realised on the wrong platform at the wrong time, is your definition of a "downward spiral"? GT 6 still managed to sell north of 5M, and GT5 is the second highest selling GT game after GT3.

silva1991

I'm curious about Horizon and GT: Sport sales.

Oh, and Knack 2 of course. Never underestimate Knack 2

image.php

Papacheeks

Banned

The PS4 pro is not expensive though for what your getting. Paying $499 is expensive but 399$ for a more powerful system that will play games smoother with a 1tb harddrive isn't the worst thing. It's when you add a game,PS+ that it get's really pricey.

This holiday is gonna be real great.

MS will want to come out swinging with Scorpio and not fuck up this time so they will bring A game.

Sony will probably price cut and they have a decent co marketing 1:2 punch if Destiny 2 and RDR2 come out. Plus COD and maybe Battlefront 2 depending on how that Disney deal is going since Boyes left Sony and Johnny V left Disney.

If Sony can keep the train rolling past a resurgent Xbox brand then yeah. 100m seems easy.

5 million is the minimal it will hit, gt6 released on the wrong console and still hit that number.

Usobuko

Banned
Spiderman, God of War and The Last of Us will be huge.

These 3 are real juggernauts among Sony's IP ( I have no idea how GT will fare tbh )

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, the climb to 100 Mil will be tough for sure.

Too get there, you have to get the casuals. That's why Ms went full casual mode late in their life. Those later E3 conferences were brutal.

people whipping out lists here and there but no one has listed Crash, that shit is gonna bring in the old guard that dropped gaming along the path to adulthood

My brethren sleeping on GT just because 6 only sold 5+ million on a console the hardcore left behind. 8-10 million for a well reviewed, bundled GT game is a bet I would take with confidence.

notaskwid

Yeah, the climb to 100 Mil will be tough for sure.

Too get there, you have to get the casuals. That's why Ms went full casual mode late in their life. Those later E3 conferences were brutal.
That's because they only rely on a couple of markets contrary to Playstation who has global appeal.
They need games and to drop the price to get there. Ps1, 2 and 3 never went full casual and only the PS3 didn't reach 100M,since the official price never dropped below 199 and the console had a troubled history.
If anything, they doubled down on the hardcore and still managed to sell as much as the 360.

People are sleeping on Detroit Become Human. I know Cage is not the most loved person on GAF, but i think heavy Rain for its time was an incredible game.

MisterR

The PS4 pro is not expensive though for what your getting. Paying $499 is expensive but 399$ for a more powerful system that will play games smoother with a 1tb harddrive isn't the worst thing. It's when you add a game,PS+ that it get's really pricey.

Oh I agree, I'm going to pick up a Pro, but Mom and Dad aren't going out this Christmas and paying $400 bucks for a Pro or Scorpio for little Johnny. They're gonna get him a $200 buck PS4 or Xbone S. The Pro and Scorpio aren't the mainstream boxes yet. Maybe by Christmas 2018.

Ps1 BC is so important that nobody knew or cared that the ps3 slim had disc based backwards compatibility with ps1 games.

Ps1 BC means absolutely zero additional systems sold. The broader market does not care.

LOL...sorta true....the PS3 Fat has full backward compatibility with PS2 games in additional to PS1 as well and it doesn't really help against the fight with 360 earlier in the cycle...

Ultimately it's the current games that count.

Think of current games as the main steak, while BC and other console features as side dish....

Crows went extinct thanks to Horizon. That is actually how the game starts Neogaf eats too many crows causing an imbalance in our eco system which eventually leads to the first robot crows being made.
Add it to the notch gaf can be wrong at predicting shit

People are sleeping on Detroit Become Human. I know Cage is not the most loved person on GAF, but i think heavy Rain for its time was an incredible game.
Yeah it could be QD's horizon moment

Unknown?

Which is a clean 50% drop from the previous game and the worst selling console game to date and only marginally better then the fucking PSP game.

But at this point all there is to do is wait and see. I am sure GT Sport is shaping up to be great. What with the beta that was meant to happen a year ago being cancelled so the team could work on hitting a release date they ended up missing with no sign anywhere of it reappearing.

GT WAS a big thing in europe.

Its been a long ass time since then. Banking on it seems foolish

Situations are different and if you can't see that then I laugh sir! I remember everyone saying GT5 would never come close to previous entries and now it's sitting at 12M.

LOL...sorta true....the PS3 Fat has full backward compatibility with PS2 games in additional to PS1 as well and it doesn't really help against the fight with 360 earlier in the cycle...

Ultimately it's the current games that count.

Think of current games as the main steak, while BC and other console features as side dish....
Not even, side dishes are kinda essential to a balanced meal, most people want side dishes. B/C is an apitizer IMO, completely optional. I really only go back and play a handful of games from previous gens, it's not like movies, where the standard to movies has been established almost 100 years ago. Games from 20 years ago usually have something that's been iterated on it that's more fun, graphically pleasing and enjoyable. Like why play Mario kart on SnES or N64 when that formula exist on a much superior WiiU/Switch version? I think it's good to have on the previous gen though, and really wish Sony did what XBox did with 360 games.

For PS1/PS2 just give us an HD emulator and be done with it, this slow trophy rollout thing is just taking way too long.

El-Suave

I think this is more of a step to ensure that the PS5 will do well. The game will establish Guerilla as a top developer almost all Playstation fans can get behind. That might be more invaluable than immediate sales in the future.

Considering that somewhere along that road to the next 50 million+ is GTA VI, I don't think Sony has too much to worry about.

Can you imagine the fallout if Sony manages to moneyhat a timed exclusive for GTA6? Combined with a bundle or price drop?

They'd pass 100 million so fast you'd hear sonic booms.

Destiny 2 Bundles, RDR 2 bundles, Spiderman, God Of War, Death Stranding & TLOU2 are going to get it the rest of the way there. All of these titles (with the exception of D2, since its 'unannounced' as of now) are tracking huge on various social media outlets, all of them have very high engagement. Gonna be a great upcoming 2017/2018 for Sony & the PS4.

You joke, but Knack 2 adds to the family titles that will help drive further sales

Exactly. This is what the OP's linked article is talking about. It's not just about the success of games like Horizon, Bloodborne, and Uncharted 4, but the presence of exclusives that appeal to much broader audiences.

That Microsoft is doubling down on Halo and Gears of War as its exclusives, and shuttering studios who could have been creative if given that freedom (poor Lionhead...) speaks volumes when you compare the two companies.

Top Bottom