• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz: Horizon's success is Sony's next step on trek to 100 million

Wollan

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...nys-next-step-on-the-long-trek-to-100-million

Quite a few articles have popped up this week noting that Horizon widens an already dramatic gap in exclusive software quality between Sony and Microsoft's rival platforms - the implication buried in the wording being that, while it's a great game, Sony can afford something of a nonchalant "meh, put it over there with the others" reaction to its success, the platform holder equivalent of the moment when Usain Bolt slows down and looks behind him before crossing the finish line with a big dirty grin on his face.

I'd argue, though, that Sony will be very, very happy and relieved to see Horizon Zero Dawn do so well (critically, with commercial success very likely to follow) - far more so, in fact, than you might expect from a company so far ahead of its competitors. That's because for all that the PS4 has outperformed its competition and even its illustrious predecessors, Sony knows better than to rest on its laurels;
The second 50 million is much harder than the first 50 million; you have certain advantages (a bigger software library, including discounted titles; hardware revisions; price-cuts) but the consumers you're trying to attract are simply a tougher crowd. There's a combination in there - those who aren't hugely into games, but would like a console in order to play the occasional big title, and those whose tastes in games are niche. The most successful consoles are those which manage to provide to both of those groups, delivering consistent big mainstream hits to please the former, and packing out the schedule with high quality but more niche software to appeal to the wide and varied set of consumer groups that make up the latter.
Looking at the release schedule for this quarter, you can see how that's playing out, with the PS4 receiving first- and third-party exclusives ranging from a big, commercial hitter like Horizon to hardcore darling Nioh and eagerly anticipated RPGs Persona 5 (honestly brilliant - probably my favourite game of the generation so far) and NieR Automata. None of those are about Sony thumbing its nose at Microsoft; they're all about the company pulling out the stops to find the next wave of PS4 owners and consumers (as well, of course, as keeping its existing installed base happy and satisfied).

This holiday is gonna be real great.

MS will want to come out swinging with Scorpio and not fuck up this time so they will bring A game.

Sony will probably price cut and they have a decent co marketing 1:2 punch if Destiny 2 and RDR2 come out. Plus COD and maybe Battlefront 2 depending on how that Disney deal is going since Boyes left Sony and Johnny V left Disney.

If Sony can keep the train rolling past a resurgent Xbox brand then yeah. 100m seems easy.

Two games. Destiny 2 and GT Sport.

With the downward spiral the franchise has been on and the current bar for racing games, I dont expect GT Sport to do more then 3-5 million life time. I say 5 million MAYBE.

MS will want to come out swinging with Scorpio and not fuck up this time so they will bring A game.

Sony will probably price cut and they have a decent co marketing 1:2 punch if Destiny 2 and RDR2 come out. Plus COD and maybe Battlefront 2 depending on how that Disney deal is going since Boyes left Sony and Johnny V left Disney.

If Sony can keep the train rolling past a resurgent Xbox brand then yeah. 100m seems easy.

With the downward spiral the franchise has been on and the current bar for racing games, I dont expect GT Sport to do more then 3-5 million life time. I say 5 million MAYBE.

oh boy...you don't have any idea of the Europeans and their fanatical following of the 2 words: Gran Turismo...

yah...If God Of War is releasing this holiday season (together with Detroit) and their critical reaction is as good as Horizon (and almost all other PS4 Exclusive so far), it will be quite crazy.

God of war is literally the 2nd most popular Sony IP in the PS3 days (after Gran Turismo and before Naughty Dog's rise) so it will be BIG if the critical reception is as good as horizon.

Jonnax

GT Sport has to be a full GT. Sony can really drive the marketing push for it if it's the first on PS4.

I wonder if that's why they delayed it.

Mrbob

This is much better for Guerilla Games. Horizon might establish them as a top tier studio.

GT6 released on the wrong console. GT Sport will sell much more.

They better not rest on their laurels, Sony needs their gaming division, they're going all in with PlayStation. If they stumble and fall they might not recover ever again.

Krooner

yah...If God Of War is releasing this holiday season (together with Detroit) and their critical reaction is as good as Horizon (and almost all other PS4 Exclusive so far), it will be quite crazy.

God of war is literally the 2nd most popular Sony IP in the PS3 days (after Gran Turismo and before Naughty Dog's rise) so it will be BIG if the critical reception is as good as horizon.

I think that'll be a hard push, by virtue of it being the fifth? (Seventh) game in the series. I'm thinking eights is as high as it can get. I do think it'll do well though...

skynidas

Banned

You have no idea how popular Gran Turismo is in Europe, GT6 came out on PS3 when the PS4 was already out and it still managed to sell more than 8 million copies.

With the popularity the PS4 has right now GT Sport can get to 10 million.

qanters

You have no idea how popular Gran Turismo is in Europe, GT6 came out on PS3 when the PS4 was already out and it still managed to sell more than 8 million copies.

With the popularity the PS4 has right now GT Sport can get to 10 million.

That is absolutely not true. Gran Turismo 6 did not sell anywhere near 8 million copies. More like 2-3 at best.

oh boy...you don't have any idea of the Europeans and their fanatical following of the 2 words: Gran Turismo...

I think at some point its going to be close to 10 years since the last GT game that sold well and that excuse isnt going to work anymore.

Polyphony just seem behind the pack an other devs have filled the gap. GT Sport seems like a bad idea. By the time PD react and maybe make a better game next time (even that is pushing it when you look at how little they have changed since GT5) its going to be the 2020's.

Conduit

Banned

GOW this holiday? Naaaah. It would be a huge mistake. A colossal disaster.

Rymuth

That is absolutely not true. Gran Turismo 6 did not sell anywhere near 8 million copies. More like 2-3 at best.
yZVTVIv.jpg

Now why would you go and lie like that?
*sees Xbox tag*
Oh okay, we're done here.

kyser73

The last official numbers published had GT6 at 5m sold, so you're both wrong.

Still, this is where we can look at the perspective that a game selling 5m copies is a 'failure'.

And look, that perspective is already here:

I think at some point its going to be close to 10 years since the last GT game that sold well and that excuse isnt going to work anymore.

Polyphony just seem behind the pack an other devs have filled the gap. GT Sport seems like a bad idea. By the time PD react and maybe make a better game next time (even that is pushing it when you look at how little they have changed since GT5) its going to be the 2020's.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I'm still expecting God of War to be a March 2018 game, much like they have placed Horizon, and previous GoW titles. Sony doesn't seem to mind throwing out their big games throughout the year rather than the last 3 months. They also apparently have advertising for what is likely to be the biggest four games at the end of the year, RDR2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2, CoD.

GT6 was at 5 million in August-September last year I believe.

sackninja

Gran Turismo 6 sold over 3 million units in Europe on Ps3 after the Ps4 came out. I think the series still has some real power in Europe at least.

ArmGunar

PS4 will easily top PS3'80M+

Exclusives (TLOU Part II, God of War, Spiderman, Death Stranding, Day's Gone ...)
Pack PS4 Pro + Horizon for this holiday (when there won't be shortage anymore)
Multiplat like RDR2, Destiny, FIFA, etc... will help too

I wonder if another price cut will be needed to help get it there... My original thinking was Pro would get new price nearer Scorpio release (and maybe it will but in the form of a time limited promotion), but I am now thinking it'll be the OG/Slim PS4 which sees the permanent price drop.

Has Gran Turismo IP declined from its peak and is no longer able to be a 10 million sales behemoth?

MAYBE. Most likely.

But GT6 shows that even with absurdly terrible conditions, GT as a brand is still powerful enough to sell 5 million copies on PS3.

If we consider the potential decline of GT IP further over the past 4 years, but also the positive effect of a 50+ million install base, I don't see GT Sport doing any less than 5 million at worst.

The key differentiator here is that given that there is no GT game available on the console yet, the chances that there is an untapped audience that has been waiting for that GT game on PS4 is more tangible than say, an untapped CoD audience waiting for that WW2 game.

GT will move units by virtue of the far more limited sim-racing experience available on the console and the GT brand. Even if it no longer sets the world on fire...

It'll still (very likely) sell the best of all other racing games this gen. ;P

GT6 was released and sold 5+ millions worldwide........after the PS4 was announced.

it doesn't really matter about the quality anymore....short of a total disaster gameplay wise....GT will outsold Forza in a month in Europe...

The words 'Gran Turismo' in europe in akin to 'Dragon Quest' in Japan (or 'Madden Football' if you are American).......

it doesn't matter what the reviewers said. It will sell whether you like it or not.

GT6 was released and sold 5+ millions worldwide........after the PS4 was announced.

Which is a clean 50% drop from the previous game and the worst selling console game to date and only marginally better then the fucking PSP game.

But at this point all there is to do is wait and see. I am sure GT Sport is shaping up to be great. What with the beta that was meant to happen a year ago being cancelled so the team could work on hitting a release date they ended up missing with no sign anywhere of it reappearing.

it doesn't really matter about the quality anymore....short of a total disaster gameplay wise....GT will outsold Forza in a month in Europe...

The words 'Gran Turismo' in europe in akin to 'Dragon Quest' in Japan (or 'Madden Football' if you are American).......

it doesn't matter what the reviewers said. It will sell whether you like it or not.

GT WAS a big thing in europe.

Its been a long ass time since then. Banking on it seems foolish

I wonder if another price cut will be needed to help get it there... My original thinking was Pro would get new price nearer Scorpio release (and maybe it will but in the form of a time limited promotion), but I am now thinking it'll be the OG/Slim PS4 which sees the permanent price drop.

I think the Pro will at least reached $349 (or better yet $299 if Sony is really trying to outpaced MS) and the Slim will be $249 (again $199 if they are determined to rule the world) this holiday season...

kyser73

Ok, to stop this turning into a GTS thread...

If we assume an internal target on 100m units in 6 years, there's 33 months to get 46m sales in. To achieve that PS4 needs to hit an average of around 15.3m per year to reach that deadline.

That assumes a 6 year main sales cycle, and no long tail after PS5 releases.

I think Sony has another trick up its sleeves..

Naughty Dog.

At this point, the Naughty Dog logo on a game is pretty much the ultimate hype machine.

Uncharted, Last Of Us......these are million dollar franchises alright....but the Naughty Dog logo are now as 'precious' as Blizzard's logo now....i.e. A new game with their logo on the box will be guaranteed million seller.

Ok, to stop this turning into a GTS thread...

If we assume an internal target on 100m units in 6 years, there's 33 months to get 46m sales in. To achieve that PS4 needs to hit an average of around 15.3m per year to reach that deadline.

That assumes a 6 year main sales cycle, and no long tail after PS5 releases.

i think hitting that $199 dreamprice with the slim can help push it....especially in Asia and 'poorer' European countries.

kyser73

It's also worth noting that while US & EU sales might be slowing, price cutting will drive growth in the developing markets.

There will be a strong focus on US sales decline on Gaf as evidence the console is slowing, and then endless surprise whenever Sony announces updated sales.

@miller - yup, the $199 price point opens up a huge potent pool outside of the main markets too.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I would urge Sony to keep doing what they have been doing, but continue forward with even more.

You can always improve your emulation situation by dropping mandatory trophy support to devs, as well as fix your media player

Exquisik

I would love to see the PS4 hits 100 million (though I have no doubt about it), but I would love to see more games from Sony and that they won't revert to their arrogant self like they did leading up to the launch of the PS3.

KZObsessed

Destiny 2 Bundles
Red Dead Redemption 2 Bundles
Gran Turismo Sport
God of War
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Kingdom Hearts III
Dragon Quest XI (for Japan)
PS4 $199
PS4 Pro $299
Death Stranding

Those are the biggest movers for them I can think of. And who knows what the future will hold. 100 million is definitely doable but as the article says, they need to make sure they don't rest on their laurels.

Amazing console tho.

You know I'm starting to think sending review copies to non gaming media or ones that don't usually review them like gq and empire is going to give a big payoff. Doesn't help the fact that horizon ticks the box attracting casual customers with its pretty graphics, open world and most importantly,
robo
dinosaurs

Maybe, but the amount of games that would kill for what a "dead" GT game sell is like 90% of them :p

Withnail

Destiny 2 Bundles
Red Dead Redemption 2 Bundles
Gran Turismo Sport
God of War
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Kingdom Hearts III
Dragon Quest XI (for Japan)
PS4 $199
PS4 Pro $299
Death Stranding

Those are the biggest movers for them I can think of. And who knows what the future will hold. 100 million is definitely doable but as the article says, they need to make sure they don't rest on their laurels.

Amazing console tho.

TLOU2 will be huge as well surely.

Donos

GT WAS a big thing in europe.

Its been a long ass time since then. Banking on it seems foolish

If anything that bodes rather well as this is a long awaited PS4 release of one of their juggernaut ips (although it's not really GT7). People are thirsty for GT and DC only eased that a bit.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I hope GT Sport will change in GT7

kadotsu

Banned
They have an exclusive Spiderman game that will come out the height of the Infinity Wars hype cycle. They probably successfully rebooted one of their best selling IPs that was getting stale. They have every single big 3rd party co-marketing deal and get Japanese exclusives for free. On the other hand, though, Scorpio.

CEJames

I stand corrected. Not 8 million. The 2-3 was just a personal estimate. 5 is still low for the series.

What are you talking about xbox tags?

k SteveoTW. Pretty much the only thing on your profile other than an empty 3DS FC. Do you own a Sony device at all?

Haven't read the whole article, but taking an excerpt from the quote in the OP:

Sony can afford something of a nonchalant "meh, put it over there with the others" reaction to its success, the platform holder equivalent of the moment when Usain Bolt slows down and looks behind him before crossing the finish line with a big dirty grin on his face.

I'd argue, though, that Sony will be very, very happy and relieved to see Horizon Zero Dawn do so well

This is nonsense. Sony is not going to be blasé about a hit new IP like Horizon, at all. Especially given how many misses they & Microsoft have had so far this gen (The Order, Driveclub, Quantum Break, etc). Just because they're far in front doesn't mean they will take hit software for granted - especially when it's likely they can grown Horizon to be just as important as their other hit brands like GoW, Uncharted and GT.

Top Bottom