• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

Eusis

That's good news I guess, better than a brick. Actually, that sounds like what happened with the very first trophy update, some people's hard drives were corrupted and Sony had to put out a different one quickly afterwards.
Really shows just how much of a problem getting trophies in was. Probably also explains why we didn't see an update until now.

Holy fucking shit! I can turn them off now? Thank goodness. Those things absolutely destroy atmosphere and flow. And you get them for doing nothing at all. Thank you Sony.

My was a 1TB, So all i get is a black screen and i see that its the hard drive that might be courppted.. so doest that mean the hard drive is gone for good?

1TB here and I've encountered the problem. Tried to system restore but now it wants to format my HDD. If they fix this fuckup with another update, can I install it or is reformatting my only option?

Fucking Sony. You fuckups.

OmahaG8

Yeeeaaahh. Got a 60 GB unit with a 500 GB hard drive. I will not be doing this until I am notified the coast is clear.

Jedi2016

Is it an issue with drive size, or merely that it's a not a stock drive? Perhaps something Sony didn't test fully, probably only did testing on stock units.

Anyway, I've got a stock PS3 Slim.. the, uh... something-something GB version. I honestly can't remember which one it is, but I'm sure it can't be more than 250.. I think it was only 120GB.

Has anyone with a stock hard drive had the issue?

My copy of The Last of Us should be here any day now.. I'd really like to be able to play it with up to date patches, etc.

Valnen

Update on my 60GB with stock hard drive is complete. Seems to be working fine, I'm on the XMB with no issues so far.

Replicant

We should put out more data like:

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* Yes
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (please state GB)
* Factory (please state GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Fat with backward compatible
* Fat without backward compatible
* Slim 1
* Slim 2

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US
* UK
* AUS
* JPN
* Other (state)?

anddo0

I have a slim, bought in, 2011.
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD7500BPVT.

I'm re-running the update, through the recovery menu to see what happens.

Valnen

HDD:
* Factory (please state GB)

PS3 type:
* Slim 1
* Slim 2

PS3 Region:
* US
* UK
* AUS
* JPN
* Other?
I'm using the oldschool fat PS3 with BC. Stock 60GB hard drive, seagate I believe. US region.

Eusis

I will risk a bricked PS3 for disabled trophy notifications.
Geez, I may not like the fact I couldn't turn them off but I'm not THAT extreme about it!

Unless I just bought a new one and everything's still on the old system or on the cloud, then yeah sure why not. Warranty would cover it.
CANCELING MY PS4 PREORDER
Thankfully trophies will be natively built in so it won't be like playing jenga with the OS.

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* Yes
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory (120 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1
* Slim 2

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US
* UK
* AUS
* JPN
* Other (state)?
I had no problems at all.

LegoDad

after reading the official sony forums and even non updated HDD's are bricking, need to stay away from this update.

anddo0

Things went from bad to worse after re-running the update. Now I don't even get to the wavy screen. It's just black. It could still be updating, but doesn't look good.

reinstalling update from usp stick via recovery menu. 8% there. will edit for results

got 28% through, system powered down. Words can not express the anger right now.

Top Bottom