• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Trophy Notification Appearance Speed

....though seriously, it feels a bit weird how trophies take a few more seconds to appear compared to achievements. Especially since they pop up faster on Vita.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Update is live

Just finished Platinuming Demon's Souls Asian Edition, Got my Holy Trinity (NA + EU + Asian) now, took me almost Half of June to Platinum all 3... Damn!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
UPYPBoS.jpg

so i just got this and my ps3 doesnt come to the xmb. It starts up but all i see is the wave and the particles, no actual menu nor will the controllor come on.

Persona7

Banned
so i just got this and my ps3 doesnt come to the xmb. It starts up but all i see is the wave and the particles, no actual menu nor will the controllor come on.

hold the PS Home button for a few seconds and a screen will pop up. Select the option that turns the system off and then turn it back on

hold the PS Home button for a few seconds and a screen will pop up. Select the option that turns the system off and then turn it back on

did that, got nothing, started doing the restore file system utility. Must be something wrong cause it got stuck at 38% for a good 3 mins,.

Eusis

The update I've been waiting for! And thought may not have been possible actually.

Think I'll get around to Flower in celebration, I felt trophies wrecked the immersion there.
haha, you don't have to worry about that. won't be getting many, if any at all on your first play through.
I got one for crafting actually. Until then I was starting to think they'd just dogpile them at the end, but no, it's just there's only trophies FOR beating the game when it comes to progression trophies.

As if people get trophies every couple of minutes!
Doesn't matter, if you'd like to divorce yourself from the system entirely the option is effectively there now.

Now that I think about it, PS3 is the only "main" achievement platform that allows the achievement notification to specifically be disabled. 360 bundles the option with notifications in general, and Steam doesn't have the option at all.

Sblargh

Banned
Heavy Rain was a cool enough dude to save the notifications for the void between chapters. But for a lot of games, it just breaks immersion.

Persona7

Banned
did that, got nothing, started doing the restore file system utility. Must be something wrong cause it got stuck at 38% for a good 3 mins,.

That doesn't sound good. Is it still stuck? you might have to press the power on button one time to allow it to shutdown.

Does anyone know how I can get a download link for the new firmware? I just tried installing it the usual way, and now my PS3 won't progress past the blank screen you see once the PS3 logo disappears on startup. I'll be real pissed if this boned my PS3 for good.

DavieC726

Same wavy error for me. I was about to start LOU literally right after update.

After numerous restarts it finally popped up that it couldn't load the system software

pargonta

haha, you don't have to worry about that. won't be getting many, if any at all on your first play through. (completion ones obviously pop after credits)

Bad game to want that with, as almost all the trophies involve finishing the game or collecting all collectibles. I've finished it on hard and have 8% done...

in this case i might just leave trophies on then, lol.

thank you sony for adding the option though, however late in the gen it would seem.

Eusis

You guys are weirdos , i love that satisfaction of seeing a trophy pop up!
It really is case by case, though I've kind of gotten sick of the obsession with them and would rather they be gone entirely (well, actually developer-by-developer) if I had to choose between extremes. But if I'm done with the story in a game and actually do want to hunt down achievements/trophies it's nice, and at any rate it's harmless to provide options for things like this rather than mandate it because "why don't you love getting trophies!?"

Then there's games like Mass Effect 3 that pile them up early on. Fuck that I feel like they're being condescending by rewarding me for each step of the opening and doing all sorts of basic things you should be doing in an RPG.
Bad game to want that with, as almost all the trophies involve finishing the game or collecting all collectibles. I've finished it on hard and have 8% done...
True, Last of Us is kind of designed as if they notably wanted trophies to NOT undermine the experience. Actually, I sort of wonder if that's what prompted finally making trophy notifications a toggle?

That doesn't sound good. Is it still stuck? you might have to press the power on button one time to allow it to shutdown.

yea it crapped out on me, have to do a system restore...sigh... that's about 385gb of games just gone.. thank god for cloud saves...grrr

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The trophy/cheevo haters can shut up now.

Got into recovery and tried rebuilding the file system. 47% of the way through, my PS3 declared something had failed and it would need to format my hard drive. I was all HELL NO and cancelled, restarted and tried again. Now I can't even get past the "Preparing, please wait" screen when I try to rebuild the file system.

Not good. Not good at all.

Top Bottom