• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

aravuus

This is from their AMA yesterday

20-25 for me then, I expect. Sounds perfect.

Just started pre-loading it. I was gonna wait until tomorrow but damn it, I've still got access to my ex-gf's VPN, I guess I could play for a bit when it has downloaded.

Pygrus

So after listening to the OST on repeat at work yesterday, I'm going to get it on release. I really hope the rest of the story is as intriguing as the demo makes it seem.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Is anyone currently playing the PS4 version who can comment on just how much they fixed the input lag issue? They said they fixed it in the full version from the demo, but the comment itself felt like they tweaked some settings to make it more tolerable rather than removing it altogether.

I'm nervous because I chose it over the PC version for convenience sake and will feel pretty bummed if this issue still exists.
They could've fixed the input lag and still have bad analog settings (weird acceleration + deadzone) that feel bad and sometimes people interpret that stuff as "input lag" even though it's not. And it's not uncommon for PC devs to just be bad at supporting gamepads.

I usually just have to try it myself... the internet is still pretty bad at this particular conversation.

Is anyone currently playing the PS4 version who can comment on just how much they fixed the input lag issue? They said they fixed it in the full version from the demo, but the comment itself felt like they tweaked some settings to make it more tolerable rather than removing it altogether.

I'm nervous because I chose it over the PC version for convenience sake and will feel pretty bummed if this issue still exists.

Waiting on the download. Granted I dont know if it will be unlocked or I have to wait till tonight.

Zutrax

They could've fixed the input lag and still have bad analog settings (weird acceleration + deadzone) that feel bad and sometimes people interpret that stuff as "input lag" even though it's not. And it's not uncommon for PC devs to just be bad at supporting gamepads.

I usually just have to try it myself... the internet is still pretty bad at this particular conversation.

I'm fine with strange acceleration and dead-zone settings, I can adjust and possibly tinker with sensitivity settings. But the demo definitely had a full half second of "hit the button, wait, then do action". But you're right the internet usually is bad at this conversation due to the varied setups and people not realizing their TV's may be the issue in a lot of cases.

I have as close to lagless as I can get with a modern setup, and this definitely was an issue in the demo for the game itself.

Tovarisc

Aaand game is broken :D

Game skips all dialogue segments and NPC's don't say anything even when they are supposed to.

PC version.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm fine with strange acceleration and dead-zone settings, I can adjust and possibly tinker with sensitivity settings. But the demo definitely had a full half second of "hit the button, wait, then do action". But you're right the internet usually is bad at this conversation due to the varied setups and people not realizing their TV's may be the issue in a lot of cases.

I have as close to lagless as I can get with a modern setup, and this definitely was an issue in the demo for the game itself.
Well the one article we have says (paraphrased): Lag fixed, controls still feel weird.

Checking the CohhCarnage stream a little here and there on the side and he just did something like a finish move on a spider mimic with the wrench...

How the fudge do you do this?

So it was something different to a heavy attack?

It looked like he jammed the wrench downward into the enemy and then yanked it out on the last hit unless I was totally hallucinating.

PS: For PC guys, CohhCarnage just said on his stream that he's playing maxed-out settings and it's running great for him.

Mifec

It looked like he jammed the wrench downward into the enemy and then yanked it out on the last hit unless I was totally hallucinating.

PS: For PC guys, CohhCarnage just said on his stream that he's playing maxed-out settings and it's running great for him.

While it does run great, never trust ANYTHING he says.

He was lying to viewers that Arkham Knight was running at 60 while he streamed it on release day.

He was lying to viewers that Arkham Knight was running at 60 while he streamed it on release day.

I have no idea who he is, just clicked on his stream because of the link in here so thanks for the heads up. One of the first times I've actually watched one to be honest.

Checking the CohhCarnage stream a little here and there on the side and he just did something like a finish move on a spider mimic with the wrench...

How the fudge do you do this?

It might just be a random finisher animation. That happened to me when I was hitting a mimic haphazardly.

Karak

Retail. Got the day1 patch, yet the input lag is visible disturbing. Also doasn't look like any pro enhancements are in effect. Maybe another patch tomorrow or today. So far its a pain.

Ya am almost done with it on Xbox One and that is fine. But even with Patch PS4 has something just a bit off about its movement that doesn't feel good right now.
PC

Tovarisc

It actually ran great for him, just like Dishonored 2.

Just like some people don't have Prey dialogue problem now.

So I played the demo on xbox and ps4 and honestly barely felt much a difference between the two latency wise. I felt like I was going crazy that people see a huge difference and I couldnt really tell... Overall the controls to me felt somewhat sensative on each. Playing PS4 version retail now, I honestly cant tell if its better, slightly better, or the same. Granted its not a game breaker for me. End point.... Im not the one to ask about latency apparently.

So I played the demo on xbox and ps4 and honestly barely felt much a difference between the two latency wise. I felt like I was going crazy that people see a huge difference and I couldnt really tell... Overall the controls to me felt somewhat sensative on each. Playing PS4 version retail now, I honestly cant tell if its better, slightly better, or the same. Granted its not a game breaker for me. End point.... Im not the one to ask about latency apparently.

I played both demos and also didn't notice much (if any) difference. Controls feel pretty loose on both systems. After playing for an hour I adjusted and it was less of an issue (though still a pain to fight the Mimics).

Sotha_Sil

I see in the PC performance thread there were some audio issues (already fixed), but the first two early impressions I saw had a 1080 running the game at 1440p maxed out with 90+ fps (one guy said 110+).

A solid start. I don't think my 480 will have a problem at 1080p and slight tuning.

I actually have to say I find the fact you can't turn off HUD elements like waypointers, and other shit that's counterproductive to a game about exploration, to be a bigger wrench in the gears than the control issues.

JJShadow

Ya am almost done with it on Xbox One and that is fine. But even with Patch PS4 has something just a bit off about its movement that doesn't feel good right now.
PC

When should we expect your review Karak? Really looking forward to it

dan2026

Good God just played the demo and the battle music is fucking annoying.

Blares at you even when there are no enemies

Nemesis_

A few people got their copies early from European retailers too, including reviewers. Would not be surprised if I saw reviews go up today or tomorrow from some outlets. Depends on how much they wanna play nice With Bethesda policy.

It's supposedly between 16 and 34 hours, depending on what you do, but does it have replay value? Does it have a new game plus of sorts?

On PC, only played about an hour but man do I like what I have played thus far. I can't wait to explore every square inch of the game. Been in desperate need of a Shock style game for a few years now and this seems like it's going to satisfy thoroughly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How can I add Australia VPN in VPN Gate client? Can't find Australian VPN server in Public servers list *sigh*

You've probably got it all sorted by now, but the game unlocked in Asia in addition to AU and NZ, resulting in no shortage of servers to choose from.

aravuus

Oh christ, mimics that jump in your fucking face, with loud sounds even? My heart won't be able to take this game.

At least I get the title now lol.

xrnzaaas

Quick question for those who played beyond the demo - are the keycodes/passwords etc. random just like in Dishonored games or preset? I'm pretty sure they were the same for everyone in the demo, but maybe it's different in the full game.

Truant

Melee combat is vastly improved with KB+M and 60fps. It's like a different game. Mimics go down in a matter of seconds.

noomi

Is there a type of side quest system or anything, or just straight up main story mission gogogo

murgo

Well fuck, Steam doesn't want to connect anymore when I use a VPN. "Could not connect to the Steam network." Tried Tunnelbear, Freedome and now a hideme trial with OpenVPN.. ARGH!

Top Bottom