• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

I have a PS4 preordered and I'm very interested in the game... but I can admit that based on this comparison there are instances where the XBO version looks a little better. Still, overall the PS4 version looks to have an edge and the only comparison I really care about is with PC. I was worried that it would look like shit compared to even a mid-range PC, doesn't seem to be the case, and the framerate is a big plus for remote play on vita.

Apollo

Banned
Could the X1 be over sharpening and that's why the AA is so horrible? It would explain how textures have more of a pop too. I use to do this on my console games and liked the way it looked. The X1 version just looks different from the PS4 version with its over sharpening and black crush thing it has going on.

CoG

sYhxGoU.jpg

FFS, the XB1 version doesn't have "more detail" it has a nasty sharpening filter which actually adds noise. The PS4 and PC versions look much smoother and don't have crushed black levels.

Wow.

FTF

MS is smart and know exactly what they're doing...all the better specs and resolution, etc. won't matter (especially to the common consumer) if they can make the early multiplat games look the same or better. I think it's a bit much to assume MS paid EA to make the XO seem better or the same, etc. but I think as the consoles progress over time the differences will become apparent (in multiplat games).

Anyway, it's a shame how much better the PC version looks than both of them :/

olimpia84

Oh man, it's embarrassing reading some of these comments.

A. Have they actually read the article

B. Do they realise what kind of effects are being applied to the Xbox One image with sharpness dialled upto 11,crushed blacks etc.

Loving all these 'read the article' posts. Looking at the pics and short comparison vids the Xbone version looks slightly better. Maybe when I see them compared on a big screen TV the resolution will make a difference on the PS4s favor.
I don't know/care what kind of effects/compromises they are using but those saying the PS4 version looks much better should go get an appointment with the eye doctor.

Why are people getting upset about some feeling that x1 looks better?

It's the beginning of the cognitive dissonance I thought would start happening when certain people realized that the difference between the two consoles, despite spec sheets, may not be overly apparent on tv screens.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Xbox One seriously looks better to me, more crisp and colorful. Honestly, I don't care if they crushed blacks to do it, it looks better because of it. Whatever way they want to use to make their games look the best, they should do it. I almost wish the PS4 crushed blacks as well.
No please stop this. Now we are wishing for crushed blacks? come on.

adixon

Pushing 50% more pixels? And there are commenters here making the argument that gamma/brightness levels being set to a place they prefer on the xbox makes it a superior version? Despite a 50% difference in number of pixels, AND a better framerate on ps4? This news beats any past estimates of the power disparity between the consoles, as far as I know.

Hey, now let's prove the 360 version is superior to pc as well -- the same logic could be applied.

shem935

Banned
Can someone please explain in layman's terms what is going on with these screenshots? I know it's a ps4 win with the res and framerate but why do the screens look so different?

Alright here we go.

Here is the Jack upload vs. the DF upload screens

SU9Quo5.png

OPMarcq.png

Top is the DF video, you can see the crushed blacks

Bottom is the Jack upload, same scene you can see the difference in the wheel black

DF did it on purpose from what I see

Wille517

Neo Member
So is the color saturation and contrast fucked intentionally because from my phone and tablet the X1 looks better them both the PC and PS4 versions....seriously what the fuck

squallmx

Xbox One seriously looks better to me, more crisp and colorful. Honestly, I don't care if they crushed blacks to do it, it looks better because of it. Whatever way they want to use to make their games look the best, they should do it. I almost wish the PS4 crushed blacks as well.

Your TV has a setting for that...

FourMyle

Fucking lol @ people saying the Xbone looks better. Enjoy literally not being able to see when anything even remotely dark is on screen.

Gamespawn

Dat unprecedented partnership!

Aren't they just running all versions with their default settings? The PS4 and PC textures look the same, and the XB1's look like the contrast is cranked up. Looks like the AA is different between the consoles too.

Logash

z8kav9M.jpg

Hey guys, look what I did. I upped the contrast, saturation, and sharpening of the PS4 image, and now it has all the colors you crave. You can do this on your TV (it has settings for these things):

ibe81gKROZj9pf.jpg

What I am saying is, it to say the PS4 version looks worse because of the oversaturation, over sharpened and contrasted filter of the XB1 version. TVs can make your PS4 version look like that. And then all that's left is to compare the other things, that your TV can't fix: resolution, and framerate, both of which the PS4 version is superior in.

That actually does help.

OryoN

Despite DF insisting how superior the PS4 version was, all I saw from the images AND videos was that the XB1 version was the better looking one(too dark though). Shaper looking textures, slightly more vibrant colors, and overall notably less blurry. Well ain't that something...

I do see that peoples' fetish for raw numbers are clouding their judgement a bit. I scoffed at people who were hoping for PS4 to have some huge visual advantage, but didn't expect this. I will have to see even higher quality comparisons, but as it stands right now, the XB1 version gets my nod.

MIGIcQ4.png

I don't know what the Xbone is doing to the textures, but it really doesn't look all that good. It's like contrast and sharpening post-process filters are getting applied or something.

Going by a lot of people's logic here, the pc version looks the worst in this pic

Crushed blacks rule all.

The PS4 version has less aliasing, for sure. But I prefer the XBOX One's sharper image vs the blurrier PS4 footage.

I get how some would feel the opposite. Looks like neither console is getting screwed.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
sYhxGoU.jpg

FFS, the XB1 version doesn't have "more detail" it has a nasty sharpening filter which actually adds noise. The PS4 and PC versions look much smoother and don't have crushed black levels.

!!!

LtOrange

I can't believe I get those visuals, 60 fps, and 64 player battles. As a console gamer this is such a huge improvement over the current gen versions.

DeltaJay

Banned
Okay, time for bed. What I'm going to take away from this is that people thought the differences were going to be so far apart that it was going to be a joke. When I bring my roomie in who is hardly a gamer to spot the differences in the video she can only tell me that one video is lighter and the other is darker with the Xbone version being sharper. In either case, can't wait for the scoring reviews next month.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know/care what kind of effects/compromises they are using but those saying the PS4 version looks much better should go get an appointment with the eye doctor.
The irony. Don't worry, I'm sure with your TV set to Vivid and sharpness at 100%, the PS4 version will end up looking just the way you want it, the same as XB1 version here, only in higher res.

baphomet

The PS4 looks quite a bit better. No crushed blacks and no weird edge enhancement or whatever anti aliasing they're using. Also twice the resolution and a more stable framerate (though that Xbox isn't doing bad).

Jomjom

Banned
Why does every version look washed out compared to the XB1?

Because they didn't calibrate it to match the XO version. You'll be able to do that with your TV remote easily. Turn Sharpness and Saturation to max and tune brightness/contrast until everything is pitch black.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
MIGIcQ4.png

I suppose you think it also looks better then the PC version?

No, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make either. My eyes works just fine. I realize, along with most people in this thread, that looks better =/= technically better, but that doesn't always matter. A lot of people in this thread can barely even tell a difference, not everyone has their eyes trained to look for that aliasing fucking up the electrical wire 200 feet way from their character in the corner of the screen. ;)

I watched PC MP footage before this and it looks considerably better than any of the SP footage on PS4 or X1. Much more of a difference there than PS4 vs. X1.

Top Bottom