• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not at all. I don't think it's a spoiler to say it's
what everyone thought Chapter 2 was going to be, before the reality of the situation presented itself.

I mean... OK. I was going more for the premise, not for the actual quality of the thing. Like...
"Thought this was over? Nah-ah, son!" I was expecting the same events as
Routes A and B, but from the perspective of A2, not a "sequel" or "next chapter".
For the record,
I thoroughly enjoy MGSV for what it was

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Not since Xenoblade's Gau Plains have I spent so much time doing sidequests before advancing the story---already have about 14 hours in and like half of that is probably sidequests. And hour of that was fighting these Golden Robots I encountered who barely took damage
and I read are easier to take down with another character lol

I'm enjoying this game, though I hope I don't burn out doing these quests before I get to the big story stuff.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Route C. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK.
Late title screen or latest title screen?

Nier: Automata has just skyrocketed to my Top 3 this year. I knew I was going to love it, but not that it make me drop my jaw to the floor like a Tex Avery cartoon.

LotusHD

Banned
Route C. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK.
Late title screen or latest title screen?

Nier: Automata has just skyrocketed to my Top 3 this year. I knew I was going to love it, but not that it make me drop my jaw to the floor like a Tex Avery cartoon.

Lmao, was waiting for this

Watch Da Birdie

Also does the Quest% Complete, and other % scores, only count for the route I'm currently on?

If I get a popup that says "X sidequest Complete", I do NOT have to redo it on a subsequent playthrough, correct? I want to make sure I only have to do these once.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yep, though just go to the quest menu and check to see if it's completely completed, because some sidequests have additional stuff that pops up later.

Mediking

I know I'm only about an hour in the game.... but this is very boring so far.... It's hard to describe. It's fun gameplay but these huge areas are a turn off. I hope Bayonetta 3 doesn't go open world.

Antiwhippy

The thing about this game is that it is very internally consistent to the world's logic. For better or worse. The first part is pretty much the only part where you can't save for the section.

Also fast travel does appear not too shortly, so if you want to skip the open world parts you can.

Yep, though just go to the quest menu and check to see if it's completely completed, because some sidequests have additional stuff that pops up later.

Thank you!

So I just started this and I died at the boss so now I have to replay the entire level?

YIKES.... Man, I would rage...

I'm gonna' be honest....this happened to me. Which is funny, because I DIDN'T DIE IN THE FREAKING DEMO. lol

I wasn't using the dodge button. Cornbread, give it another shot and MASH the dodge button. This is one of the most forgiving games I've played when it comes to dodge timing. You'll have no trouble defeating the boss. Also, once you finish the first area, you can save often.

Mediking

My big issue with the game is just running across huge areas and fighting enemies. I'm doing the same stuff over and over. I'm in the desert now and while it is pretty.... I need something exciting.

I'm gonna keep playing though. I refuse to give up on this game.

Ascheroth

I just started FFXII, I can't deal with wasting time like that... %%#÷=^%$
Can't tell if this serious or sarcasm, Corn <.<

Some tips:
1) Dodge the living shit out of everything.
2) Dodge some more.
3) Keep dodging

And if you really want to be sure, drop the difficulty to easy for that part.

Cornbread78

Can't tell if this serious or sarcasm, Corn <.<

Some tips:
1) Dodge the living shit out of everything.
2) Dodge some more.
3) Keep dodging

And if you really want to be sure, drop the difficulty to easy for that part.

Yeah, I was really pissed. I only get a few hours a week to console game, so when I waste an hour of gameplay like that, it's a little frustrating... I'll play more soon, but I had to start up XII.

Is the dodge button the same as the R2 "dash"?

Ascheroth

Yeah, I was really pissed. I only get a few hours a week to console game, so when I waste an hour of gameplay like that, it's a little frustrating... I'll play more soon, but I had to start up XII.

Is the dodge button the same as the R2 "dash"?
Yes.
It's your best friend in this game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i just recently started this. bought it awhile back only just got around to it. i've never played a nier game before.

i'm at the point where you go into the desert and fight that naked dude with long blonde hair who then gives birth to another naked person. well i've beat him and gone back to the base.

so far i'm quite enjoying it. at first i was a bit annoyed because i died during the first mission and had to restart it. i've played the dark souls games so wasn't too bothered but it made me think if i was up for this kind of game again. since then it hasn't been so bad. enemies aren't really that difficult but i've come close to dying a few times but i have plenty of health items to use and money seems easy to come by.

the thing confusing me is that at the start i had two weapons but now i only have one for light attack. when i press triangle i only jump/kick with no weapon. not sure what that's about.

i'm going into this blind. well kinda...i think i read a big story spoiler (tried hard to avoid them) but that won't stop me :)

Antiwhippy

i just recently started this. bought it awhile back only just got around to it. i've never played a nier game before.

i'm at the point where you go into the desert and fight that naked dude with long blonde hair who then gives birth to another naked person. well i've beat him and gone back to the base.

so far i'm quite enjoying it. at first i was a bit annoyed because i died during the first mission and had to restart it. i've played the dark souls games so wasn't too bothered but it made me think if i was up for this kind of game again. since then it hasn't been so bad. enemies aren't really that difficult but i've come close to dying a few times but i have plenty of health items to use and money seems easy to come by.

the thing confusing me is that at the start i had two weapons but now i only have one for light attack. when i press triangle i only jump/kick with no weapon. not sure what that's about.

i'm going into this blind. well kinda...i think i read a big story spoiler (tried hard to avoid them) but that won't stop me :)

You lost your 2nd weapon because of that thing you had to do to end the prologue.

You can buy more weapons and try out different weapon sets.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
You lost your 2nd weapon because of that thing you had to do to end the prologue.

You can buy more weapons and try out different weapon sets.

ah ok. yeah i seen those weapons at the base but wasn't sure how they worked. can you use any weapon in either light/heavy or not? do more weapons unlock as i progress?

Antiwhippy

Yeah, there are a lot of weapons here, though the main draw is to upgrade them to read their weapon stories.

Watch Da Birdie

@blly155, you can actually get that weapon back---find the area where you fought the first boss in the factory and your old body is there with the weapon.

Anyway, I was a bit apprehensive about the open-world nature at first but as I played I realized the game isn't quite a sandbox-style game, the map's actually fairly linear and well-put together after you explore for a while and there's really not that much ground to cover with enough icons to point you in the right direction. Once you unlock a few more areas to explore it'll kind of "click", or it did for me, and I found it easy to traverse and get to where I wanted even without factoring in Fast Travel.

The only thing I don't really care for is I feel the amount of weapons is a bit overwhelming and I've been sticking to the default ones + upgrading them, though as mentioned collecting the other weapons have their own reward with the little stories.

Oh, and don't ignore your Chips---I really didn't pay much attention to them at first and basically went with the default + stuff like increased EXP. and Drop Rates, but play around with the "Fuse" option you'll find at the Resistance Camp. It's surprisingly intuitive once you get the hang of it and you can quickly power up your character with all the extra chips enemies drop which makes things far easier and less grindy.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I WILL SMASH THEM AND KILL THEM!

I was losing my shit all through that section of the game.
First, the game lets you control Pascal. Then something happens. Shivers down my spine. A2 gets there, everything is on fire. Zombie machines. Pascal escapes. You go to the factory. The children are save, relief! Zombies attack. Pascal and A2 save the day. Tanks! Mecha Pascal to the rescue. 1-on-1 Engels fighting game now. Pascal stomps! Hooray! ... but the children. Pascal...

Holy fucking shit, what a rollecoaster of emotions.

LotusHD

Banned
I was losing my shit all through that section of the game.
First, the game lets you control Pascal. Then something happens. Shivers down my spine. A2 gets there, everything is on fire. Zombie machines. Pascal escapes. You go to the factory. The children are save, relief! Zombies attack. Pascal and A2 save the day. Tanks! Mecha Pascal to the rescue. 1-on-1 Engels fighting game now. Pascal stomps! Hooray! ... but the children. Pascal...

Holy fucking shit, what a rollecoaster of emotions.

Check out the village sometime.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm done. All main endings. Platinum.

I need some time to process all of this. I'll be moving to the spoiler thread, I guess...

My GOTY so far, but I still need to play BotW.

Watch Da Birdie

Whew, Path A cleared---20 hours in, and I have like no idea what's going on!

I was totally over leveled and made short work of the last boss, probably because as far as I can tell I did every Side Quest but 2---the final Dojo fight, and the Wandering Couple, though it seems a lot of people mess that last one up. I even defeated all the Gold Robots!

Guess the next Paths are gonna be a bit shorter since I got a large amount of Side Quests knocked out (since I imagine most of them also occur on Path B), and don't expect much difficulty with my level + Chips. But I'm excited about all that plot coming up.

BotW is my GotY, but I'm starting to understand why Nier is the GotY for other Gaffers.

It's been 12 days since I finished the game for good and I literally still get goosebumps when I think about it or get weirdly carried away when I listen to the OST. I'm playing through some backlog right now because I literally can't get myself to start Persona 5, a game I know I'll love but don't want to start still obsessing over Nier. That doesn't even make sense and that's how much I loved Automata.

BOTW is one of the 5 or so best games I played in my life like easy, but Automata is a fucking force of nature. This really might be the best year ever for videogames.

Watch Da Birdie

I was really hating how you had to pick up every item dropped but then, BAM, there's a Chip for that.

Is there one that shows you where Chests are?

But I've been flying through Path B since I'm so overlevelled, doesn't look like I have too many Quests here since I did most of the every-Path ones in A. From there I beat the final Dojo (well, that new mechanic makes things so easy!) and I'm fixed to do the Wandering Couple right.

All the new little cutscenes I'm running into are :0.

Just finished route A. It took me 11 hours. I'm thinking I may have rushed through it too quickly, based on what other people have been saying. I kind of took my cues from the first Nier and didn't worry about doing too many side quests.

So it's normal to finish route A and feel a bit underwhelmed, right? Right now, I definitely prefer the first Nier to Automata, but then again a lot of that has to do with Nier's ending B, so I'm curious to see what Automata does for its second kick at the can.

LotusHD

Banned
Just finished route A. It took me 11 hours. I'm thinking I may have rushed through it too quickly, based on what other people have been saying. I kind of took my cues from the first Nier and didn't worry about doing too many side quests.

So it's normal to finish route A and feel a bit underwhelmed, right? Right now, I definitely prefer the first Nier to Automata, but then again a lot of that has to do with Nier's ending B, so I'm curious to see what Automata does for its second kick at the can.

Yup

Antiwhippy

Automata does do the different paths somewhat differently just as a heads up, but yeah, I was underwhelmed when I finished A too.

It's a shame to rush through it though because I think the sidequests are way more worth doing in Automata. The B unique ones have some pretty great ones.

Automata does do the different paths somewhat differently just as a heads up, but yeah, I was underwhelmed when I finished A too.

It's a shame to rush through it though because I think the sidequests are way more worth doing in Automata. The B unique ones have some pretty great ones.

Yeah, I didn't exactly plan it that way, the ending of the first route just came at me way faster than I expected. I'll probably luxuriate a bit more in the next playthrough.

This. I like the sidequests in route A as well, the game is so ridiculously well written and there is some genuinely heartfelt moments (
STUPID MOM
) there.

Ascheroth

I was really hating how you had to pick up every item dropped but then, BAM, there's a Chip for that.

Is there one that shows you where Chests are?

But I've been flying through Path B since I'm so overlevelled, doesn't look like I have too many Quests here since I did most of the every-Path ones in A. From there I beat the final Dojo (well, that new mechanic makes things so easy!) and I'm fixed to do the Wandering Couple right.

All the new little cutscenes I'm running into are :0.
Apparently there is. I think you can buy it in the camp in Route B? But I'm not entirely sure, as I completely missed it myself, lol.

derFeef

I think I did a lot of sidequests through route A but I wanted to see the story "go somewhere" after like 17 hours so I rushed a bit at the end. Are the missions/sidequests completely different if I start route B?

NEO0MJ

I think I did a lot of sidequests through route A but I wanted to see the story "go somewhere" after like 17 hours so I rushed a bit at the end. Are the missions/sidequests completely different if I start route B?

Some side quests are exclusive to a route. You'll later be able to go back and do any you missed.

Antiwhippy

No, it does, it's just that at some point you unlock (I don't eve nreally know why people spoil this but oh well)
You unlock chapter select
at some point.

A route unique quests don't appear in B, same as A & B won't appear in C. You'll understand why.

Finished quests stays finished though.

Antiwhippy

Hah, good luck on that. I don't know why Squenix seems to be trying their best to sabotage the PC port lol. Which is doing well despite all that.

Top Bottom