• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Considering picking up Morrowind GOTY for OG XBox before it spikes in price (assuming it would be a BC title at some point). I've read they said games will be available digitally, but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

Considering picking up Morrowind GOTY for OG XBox before it spikes in price (assuming it would be a BC title at some point). I've read they said games will be available digitally, but I'm not sure I want to risk it.

I'm glad I hung on to my copy. I own the PC version too, but for some reason I still want to replay the original Xbox version because of its controller support.

I bet my laptop could run it better modded by now. :lol

tenor.gif

Bizzquik

Are we sure we haven't had plenty of BC games released in the last month, and Larry just forgot to mention them on Twitter?
j/k

you'd think every single employee at MS went to E3 and they need this week to recover.

oh well, there's only 5 more sleeps till our next disappointment.

amdb00mer

This would be awesome.

I can say it plays great though, at least multiplayer (I did 1v1). Felt good with an Xbox One controller.

Best part about OG BC is being able to remap buttons on some games that did not have that feature. Gun Valkyrie was great, but had a poor button config. Caused hand fatigue with all that damn thumb stick clicking. I hope it makes it in the batch of OG BC games. Would like to play it again.

EmiPrime

Best part about OG BC is being able to remap buttons on some games that did not have that feature. Gun Valkyrie was great, but had a poor button config. Caused hand fatigue with all that damn thumb stick clicking. I hope it makes it in the batch of OG BC games. Would like to play it again.

That's a great point. Gunvalkyrie with dash on left bumper instead of left stick click!

I've asked twice on twitter and have yet to get a response.

OT - Another dry release day.

Darn 😧

This would be awesome.

I can say it plays great though, at least multiplayer (I did 1v1). Felt good with an Xbox One controller.

I bought it back in the day, never actually played it though. Didn't even know it had XBL support. Can't wait to try it!

I went out to my local game store and picked up copies of Morrowind, Breakdown, and Gunvalkyrie. The Breakdown case is a bit messed up, however. I'll need to replace that. Would like to ask, any ideas on where I can find better cover sleeves or possibly make my own?

Also I really shouldn't be buying games in advance and hoping they eventually go BC down the line. Lol.

amdb00mer

Darn 😧

I bought it back in the day, never actually played it though. Didn't even know it had XBL support. Can't wait to try it!

I went out to my local game store and picked up copies of Morrowind, Breakdown, and Gunvalkyrie. The Breakdown case is a bit messed up, however. I'll need to replace that. Would like to ask, any ideas on where I can find better cover sleeves or possibly make my own?

Also I really shouldn't be buying games in advance and hoping they eventually go BC down the line. Lol.

Unfortunately, none of the OG BC releases will have XBL features, LAN only for the ones that support it. However, if X-Link Kai is still around that could be used to play these titles online.
As far as buying games in anticipation, I'm guilty of doing that when the X360 BC was announced.

Unfortunately, none of the OG BC releases will have XBL features, LAN only for the ones that support it. However, if X-Link Kai is still around that could be used to play these titles online.
As far as buying games in anticipation, I'm guilty of doing that when the X360 BC was announced.

Ah I remember that being mentioned. Sucks, but I'm sure the community will figure a way around that.

It's just tough to know who will support the program. I don't think Koei Tecmo has any 360 bc games right now, but they also published a lot of great Xbox games back in the day. I really don't want them stuck on the OG Xbox.
Will june 2017 be the first month without any new BC game?

Looking more and more likely, if you don't count the GWG titles.

FN-2187

you'd think every single employee at MS went to E3 and they need this week to recover.

oh well, there's only 5 more sleeps till our next disappointment.

I wonder how big the "emulation team" is that Phil referred to. Since it's not really a money maker, it could be like 3 people, and they have been working overtime on OG BC.

dLMN8R

He keeps bringing up the sale but I don't see how that should have any impact on the output of the BC technical team. What am I missing?

Because the store team and BC teams always have and will always work together closely to coordinate releases, fix issues, monitor telemetry for issues, make sure new issues aren't discovered when more people get their hands on them, etc. etc.

None of these teams are particularly large, and when big events like sales or E3 are going on it can often mean all hands on deck to make sure existing stuff doesn't break preventing people from focusing on new stuff.

EmiPrime

This would be a good July GWG:

Inside
The Witness
Limbo (360)
Braid (360)

The Witness is literally the least likely indie game to be on GWG/PS+.

Because the store team and BC teams always have and will always work together closely to coordinate releases, fix issues, monitor telemetry for issues, make sure new issues aren't discovered when more people get their hands on them, etc. etc.

None of these teams are particularly large, and when big events like sales or E3 are going on it can often mean all hands on deck to make sure existing stuff doesn't break preventing people from focusing on new stuff.

Thanks for the insight dLMN8R. Love it when you let us peak behind the curtain.

Yeah, I figured they pushed as many as they could out before the big sale.

I read on Reddit that Runbow was a possible July GwG based on the fact that the release date for it is the 16th.

*shrugs* I don't know much about Runbow (I had the demo or something on Wii U, never tried it) but it looks like SpeedRunners lol.

I just though of something:

Wouldn't it be cool if MS let developers update their old 360 games for free with an update that adds like 1080p and /or a 60 fps cap option in their games. I know it would run the 360 to the ground, but it would let people with Xbox One + X to further enhance their games.

Thanks, makes a lot more sense now.

FyreWulff

I just though of something:

Wouldn't it be cool if MS let developers update their old 360 games for free with an update that adds like 1080p and /or a 60 fps cap option in their games. I know it would run the 360 to the ground, but it would let people with Xbox One + X to further enhance their games.

While neat for some games potentially, it could cause various compatibility issues for some games if games don't run in sync, or the engine was intentionally put together to run at 30 and you'd run into stuff like a 60hz redraw but 30hz physics, etc. Or even sound could fuck up.

Amusingly, since Titanfall 360 is one of those unlocked 360 titles, it can potentially go up to 60fps. But they'll probably never make it BC, lol

While neat for some games potentially, it could cause various compatibility issues for some games if games don't run in sync, or the engine was intentionally put together to run at 30 and you'd run into stuff like a 60hz redraw but 30hz physics, etc. Or even sound could fuck up.

Amusingly, since Titanfall 360 is one of those unlocked 360 titles, it can potentially go up to 60fps. But they'll probably never make it BC, lol

Never say never though; Bioshock 1 & 2 has a uncapped framerate option on the 360 versions and BioShock 1 at least almost hits 60 at times on Xbox One!

Top Bottom