• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where, oh where, is the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller?

Xdrive05

I beg my fellow gaffers to update this thread as soon as this thing is available on Amazon. Think of us. Think of those who suffer with you!

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Let's remind everyone not to trust Amazon's "email me" notifications.

LOL, I got Notifications for being able to pre-order Switch after it was already sold out. Same with Best Buy. I wasn't awake when they started, and stumbled into them the next morning at work when checking on something, grabbed before sold out. Got lucky.

It's not worth getting anyway. From trying it at the Switch event, I found it very "third-party" like, with the feel of it, buttons, see through top casing. The Joy-Cons together felt great, will stick with that. Actually prefer the WiiU Pro Controller over Switch one.
The problem is the JoyCon's d-pad. According to an early hands-on of Shovel Knight for Switch, the JoyCon d-pad buttons and analogue stick suck for 2D games. Pro Controller though comes with a real d-pad.

The problem is the JoyCon's d-pad. According to an early hands-on of Shovel Knight for Switch, the JoyCon d-pad buttons and analogue stick suck for 2D games. Pro Controller though comes with a real d-pad.

Having to pay $70 just to get a good d-pad just feels wrong.

Having to pay $70 just to get a good d-pad just feels wrong.

Well, you're not wrong, but I feel like it's still a super-nice controller to supplement what's already included with the system. If you're planning on playing multiplayer games in TV mode, I'd imagine you'd need a second, full controller anyway. Your choices would be a pair of Joy Cons and an additional grip or the Pro. That's what, $70 versus $110? The choice seems clear.

I would be happy if Nintendo dropped the price by at least $10 though.

Well, you're not wrong, but I feel like it's still a super-nice controller to supplement what's already included with the system. If you're planning on playing multiplayer games in TV mode, I'd imagine you'd need a second, full controller anyway. Your choices would be a pair of Joy Cons and an additional grip or the Pro. That's what, $70 versus $110? The choice seems clear.

I considered both, but went with the neon blue/red joycon pair with a charging grip so I could play 4-player Snipperclips and two-player ARMS with motion control. If the grip setup doesn't work with me, I'll have to get a pro. Of course, I was okay with playing MonHun4 Ultimate on an OG 3DS without a circle pad pro, so I have a some tolerance for "painful" controls.

For games like ARMS I feel like another set of Joycons is the better investment initially. Those old games like Shovel Knight I can play with a d-pad on many other platforms that I own.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, and see this post for more details on how to order:

I think I just got my preorder in.

Go here:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01NAWKYZ0

It says out of stock, but looks like there's a 3rd party seller that has one:
vjs02jU.png

After clicking that link you'll see the 3rd party seller is Amazon, and you can put in a preorder.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Happy to have this taken care of. Canceled my charger grip preorder from Best Buy as that was just a backup incase I couldn't get a pro controller near launch.

So now I'm all set.

Gray Switch, Zelda, and Archer Link, Rider Link and Zelda Amiibo preordered from Bestbuy.com with delivery, and Pro Controller from Amazon.

Is it March 3rd yet?

greekappi

91400aef4c.gif

I missed the live pre-order!!! All because I took a nap! And Gamestop/BestBuy/Target/Walmart yet to have these online either!

I've been calling multiple GameStops around my city every day. I'm pretty sure they hate me now. I have $5 down on Joy Cons that I don't want just so I can call and have them switch (pun intended) that $5 over to the Pro Controller over the phone. It's a nice loophole so I don't have to go into the store to do it once the preorders for the Pro Controller go live.

FloresDeHielo

Neo Member
Well I managed to pre-order from Gamestop...

So I got Zelda Master Edition & Pro controller @ Gamestop & Nintendo Switch console pre-ordered @ Amazon...

So I did my math.. and... $546 for those three things.. Damn!

Edit: I could've honestly not gotten that special edition at all and just the game.. but I got tired of always missing out on anything zelda limited throughout the years.

JavyOO7

Oh shit, was maybe going to pre order the Switch pro controller in Amazon Japan and now the price shot up. I guess people selling their pre order. Fak.

Waji

Well I managed to pre-order from Gamestop...

So I got Zelda Master Edition & Pro controller @ Gamestop & Nintendo Switch console pre-ordered @ Amazon...

So I did my math.. and... $546 for those three things.. Damn!

Edit: I could've honestly not gotten that special edition at all and just the game.. but I got tired of always missing out on anything zelda limited throughout the years.
I'm happy I don't need a pro controller and didn't consider the special edition.
This 550$ seems closer to what I'm going to pay through the whole year : P.

Yesterday I could only pre-order on Gamestop's website, shipped to my house. Didn't want to pay $10 to get it on day one.

Earlier today I called the GameStop I have my Switch pre-ordered at and they told me they weren't taking pre-orders for it. Not that they were sold out, but that they just weren't taking them at the moment.

Just checked the website and I was able to pre-order one for in-store pickup! I'm not sure if it's a system-wide thing or what, but wanted to give a heads up.

Yesterday I could only pre-order on Gamestop's website, shipped to my house. Didn't want to pay $10 to get it on day one.

Earlier today I called the GameStop I have my Switch pre-ordered at and they told me they weren't taking pre-orders for it. Not that they were sold out, but that they just weren't taking them at the moment.

Just checked the website and I was able to pre-order one for in-store pickup! I'm not sure if it's a system-wide thing or what, but wanted to give a heads up.
Whoever told you that must have told you prior to them becoming available. Because when folks in here stated saying best buy had them I went to my store and while they only had a few they definitely had some available to preorder

hwy_61

Banned
I got a preorder in when they were available on Amazon, but I'm not entirely convinced that I'm gonna get mine on release day. The pro controller and the charging grip both have "delivery date pending" for ETA.

CaVaYeRo

Top Bottom