• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

jediyoshi

Cemu 1.8.1 releases Friday (23rd) to patrons

Also, hi world

NZOrEVv.png

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
BOTW still runs like dog crap with my rig with:
3770k @ 4.2ghz
16gb ram
GTX 1070
Off an SSD
Disappointing.

3770k @ 4.2ghz
16gb ram
GTX 1070
Off an SSD
Disappointing.

I was on a 3570k at 4.4 and BOTW was unplayable for me too. 15-20 FPS.

Switched to a Ryzen 1700 and 4k BOTW runs at an amazing, very stable, 30 FPS (in the Plateau at least) with a 1070 as well. Unfortunately I don't think the 3xxx are very good CPUs for CEMU :/

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."

Switched to a Ryzen 1700 and 4k BOTW runs at an amazing, very stable, 30 FPS (in the Plateau at least) with a 1070 as well. Unfortunately I don't think the 3xxx are very good CPUs for CEMU :/
Really? Damn. Well I guess I'll start setting aside some dough for a new cpu

Taggen86

Have they fixed the random crashes in zelda BOTW in Cemu 1.8 or 1.8.1 ? If not, how do you avoid them? I started playing the game thinking I was going to finish it, but I found the game nearly unplayable due to the regular crashes and the strange colourful ground textures that after a while covered all mountains.

3770k @ 4.2ghz
16gb ram
GTX 1070
Off an SSD
Disappointing.

Emulation is pretty much the one gaming area where Ivy Bridge cannot keep up with newer CPUs. The improvements in the last few years to architecture have done a lot for that department.

Maybe hold onto it for another year or two - Cemu still has some quirks to work out before it's really worth buying new parts for. I really can't justify investing in a new CPU when my 3570k @ 4.6 is still handling everything else well enough.

dsk1210

Cemu hook not working anymore?

Can't get it to run at a stable 30 without it as well.

Get a message saying certain cemu functions are not available if I run cemu hook and poor framerate if I remove it.

How you got it running stable Jedi?

Edit: Figured it out, you need to add disableGPUFence=true in the zelda game profile under the [Graphics] section.

jediyoshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZWDOV-nYU

Didn't fit it in:
Yakuza HD boots now, reaches ingame cutscene then crashes
Bunch of minor BotW effects; dust when pot explodes, dust when boulder is moved, effects when enemies die, rolling fog in local area, effects when readying guardian equipment

Edit: Figured it out, you need to add disableGPUFence=true in the zelda game profile under the [Graphics] section.

Looks like cemu hook was updated as well
https://sshnuke.net/cemuhook/

TTK2 still seems pretty unplayable on my end. Still getting character texture bugs and crashes.

Ended up just going back to my Wii U copy with a friend tonight lol

ss_lemonade

Performance on anything emulation related has jumped up quite a bit on CPUs after the sandy and ivybridge lineup, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a similar situation with cemu. My laptop's stock 6700hq for instance seems to be faster than my desktop's 4.6ghz 3570k in Dolphin.

Coreda

Can a 21:9 aspect ratio resolution be run in a borderless window without scaling? For example an arbitrary 21:9 resolution that's not the full monitor width/height and displayed at 1:1 scale. All the examples I've seen require entering fullscreen to stretch the 'squished' ratio to the monitor ratio after the adjustment has been made but this seems to require a) a 21:9 monitor and b) stretching to the full monitor width.

Or alternatively, entering fullscreen without scaling to monitor width while still maintaining the correct ratio. Currently don't have anything to test with so just wondering what's possible.

I cant get graphics packs to show up in the graphics pack menu on cemu, I'm making a "BreathOfTheWild_1080p" folder in the graphics pack folder and copying a "rules.txt" file for BOTW from the cemu subreddit into it, but it doesnt show anything in the menu for me to check on. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I followed multiple tutorials online step by step and restarted cemu like 10 times.

jediyoshi

I cant get graphics packs to show up in the graphics pack menu on cemu, I'm making a "BreathOfTheWild_1080p" folder in the graphics pack folder and copying a "rules.txt" file for BOTW from the cemu subreddit into it, but it doesnt show anything in the menu for me to check on. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I followed multiple tutorials online step by step and restarted cemu like 10 times.

so you have <cemu>\graphicPacks\BreathOfTheWild_1080\rules.txt ?

What's the specific graphic pack you're using?

Can a 21:9 aspect ratio resolution be run in a borderless window without scaling? For example an arbitrary 21:9 resolution that's not the full monitor width/height and displayed at 1:1 scale. All the examples I've seen require entering fullscreen to stretch the 'squished' ratio to the monitor ratio after the adjustment has been made but this seems to require a) a 21:9 monitor and b) stretching to the full monitor width.

Or alternatively, entering fullscreen without scaling to monitor width while still maintaining the correct ratio. Currently don't have anything to test with so just wondering what's possible.

No, what the display is pumping out is basically anamorphic.

So how is BOTW these days? Are they still making progress?

honestly the main issue now is how often it crashes, the vast majority of missing effects were taken care of in 1.8.1, really all that's left graphically is some weird glitches with lava and the camera rune pictures still only come out black.

So how is BOTW these days? Are they still making progress?

The only big issue remaining is the random crashing, honestly. Looks great, runs well enough, fully playable. With some more optimizations and a fix for the random crashes, it'll be in a great place. I would still recommend playing it on the Wii U or Switch for a first playthrough — unless you've already completed it on the original hardware — or waiting a little while longer.

cemu2017-07-0208-18-0husek.png

cemu2017-07-0304-28-2bos8m.png

cemu2017-07-0205-37-0l8spz.png

cemu2017-07-0304-45-10ds5i.png

Coreda

No, what the display is pumping out is basically anamorphic.

The other route I guess would be changing the monitor resolution beforehand then using fullscreen with the tweak. I've also come across posts that suggest higher resolutions don't impact performance here as much as one might expect, so it may be fine with a full-width 21:9 custom res.

Ryoku

Would turning off hyperthreading help at all?
I'm not using CEMU, but reading some of the posts here got me curious.

Prat

The only big issue remaining is the random crashing, honestly. Looks great, runs well enough, fully playable. With some more optimizations and a fix for the random crashes, it'll be in a great place. I would still recommend playing it on the Wii U or Switch for a first playthrough — unless you've already completed it on the original hardware — or waiting a little while longer.

Dude, this looks jawbreaking.

What are your settings on CEMU?

Taggen86

Can anyone confirm that zelda crashes less on the 1.8.1 update? Do you get less crashes if you never use fast travel?

Found the game nearly unplayable on 1.7.5 since I had to restart the game. My plan is to complete the game once the crashes are eliminated. My brother has a wii u, but I would prefer playing it in 4k on my oled.

Nibel

Fantastic screens mate

UrbanRats

Emulation is pretty much the one gaming area where Ivy Bridge cannot keep up with newer CPUs. The improvements in the last few years to architecture have done a lot for that department.

Maybe hold onto it for another year or two - Cemu still has some quirks to work out before it's really worth buying new parts for. I really can't justify investing in a new CPU when my 3570k @ 4.6 is still handling everything else well enough.

I'm still on a 2500K, lol.
One of the reasons why i don't think it's even worth downloading CEMU for now, for me.

Incidentally for every other game it's doing just fine, so i have little incentive to change it (since i'd have to change MoBo, too).

jediyoshi

That's already plenty overkill for Cemu.

I'm still on a 2500K, lol.
One of the reasons why i don't think it's even worth downloading CEMU for now, for me.

Incidentally for every other game it's doing just fine, so i have little incentive to change it (since i'd have to change MoBo, too).

You likely just weren't setting up Cemu optimally, a better CPU isn't going to work its way around incorrect settings. With an i5 750 (2009, 1st gen) and gtx 970, pretty much everything ran at 4k full speed, and this was back in the less optimized time of 1.7.0

4k Super Mario 3D World
4k DKC Tropical Freeze
4k Smash
4k Xenoblade Chronicles X
Intel Core i5-750 @ 4GHz
EVGA GTX 970 SSC
8 GB CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3

Unreal

That's already plenty overkill for Cemu.

You likely just weren't setting up Cemu optimally, a better CPU isn't going to work its way around incorrect settings. With an i5 750 (2009, 1st gen) and gtx 970, pretty much everything ran at 4k full speed, and this was back in the less optimized time of 1.7.0

4k Super Mario 3D World
4k DKC Tropical Freeze
4k Smash
4k Xenoblade Chronicles X
Intel Core i5-750 @ 4GHz
EVGA GTX 970 SSC
8 GB CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3

Are you reznoire ?

KaKaRi

newbie here... how do i update to cemu 1.8.1b?
I downloaded 1.7 few months ago, but dont want to lose my settings etc

void666

Banned
I've been playing zelda on cemu and my god, it's beautiful.. Even if it isn't flawless it's way better than the wii u version. I feel bad. I'll probably never touch my wii u again.

Being able to use a real controller already makes this the better version.

Vuze

newbie here... how do i update to cemu 1.8.1b?
I downloaded 1.7 few months ago, but dont want to lose my settings etc
Just overwrite the executable. I think you will lose your shaders though iirc 1.8 introduced the new shader system.

butman

Guys i finally bought a new PC capable to run Cemu and Dolphin without any problems seeing the recommended specs:

1- I have a Wii U, where i play Gamecube and Wii games too. Can i finally sell it and enjoy the games on Citra? Or the compatibilty list still green?

2- Do i keep a Wii Mote or it isn't necessary?

3- There's games that requires more cpu than others?

Thanks!

Guys i finally bought a new PC capable to run Cemu and Dolphin without any problems seeing the recommended specs:

What Video Card do you have?

Like, I was waiting to see if Switch announced something I cared about and was hopping for a Hyrule Warriors GOTY edition but now that I think about my history with Nintendo hardware I think I'm better off with Cemu. All my Nintendo games have always been Megaman (RIP) and Zelda games, I don't like Smash and Metroid it's ok but not a game I care that much about. On PC I only plan to play Cemu, NieR Automara and maybe Monster Hunter World. If my PC can run 1080p at 60fps that would be perfect but I don't mind 30fps if its not a fast paced action game.

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 3.20 GHz Quad Core Skylake
Motherboard: MSI Enthuastic Gaming Intel Z170A LGA 1151
Power Supply: Corsair RM Series, RM850, 850 Watt
Tower Case: Thermaltake Core V71 E-ATX Full Tower
Monitor: Acer R240HY bidx 23.8-Inch

That's pretty much my PC I made in 2015, I haven't bought anything extra for cooling and haven't overclocked anything. So can anyone recommend me a video card or anything else to play with Cemu?

Top Bottom