• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point I couldn't take Silent Voice serious anymore. When everything is over the top melodramatic then I can't take anything seriously anymore.

That's the difference to something like In This Corner Of The World, which was way more low key in those things, except when it went all out and it hit you really on a deeper emotional level.

A Silent Voice

This has a lot to unpack but I don't intend to delve into the details much, I need time to think and perhaps rewatch to get a better understanding. It was certainly a story that interests me and I found evocative on multiple occasions. I had my doubts but I think my experience was better than I had anticipated right from the sequence with
The Who's song which establishes Nishimiya's younger self really well to the moment Nishimya opens up to everyone around him. Really the visualizations behind Nishimiya opening up to people was spot on

Some of the themes and moments reminded me of Colourful and Anthem of the Heart - I recommend checking them out if you liked this.

A Silent Voice's sound direction is so good, and the two moments you identify (the childhood montage and the very end) were some of the best marriages of sound and visual in the whole film.

Some sellout shill I'm subscribed on Youtube to made a video about how great Re:Creators is. Is it actually any good? Not watching any anime this season so far.
Re:CREATORS strikes me as a show that marketed itself as one thing but has ended up being something very different, and I can't help but feel that the direction they took was not one suited to the talents of those involved.

Rei Hiroe is fantastic at making likeable, relatable characters with a modicum of text (the characters of Black Lagoon are what I've always heard the most about from fans I've spoken to), and he continues that here. The cast is great, and for as large as it is, I already feel I know a significant amount of them pretty well. But if there's one thing Re:CREATORS has proved thus far, it's that Rei Hiroe cannot write exposition in an interesting fashion to save his life.

It's not there's so much talking in Re:CREATORS. Hell, the problem isn't even with it being mostly exposition. Gen Urobochi has made a living off of crafting stories that can mostly be boiled down to masterfully written expository diologue, but it's not a skill everyone possesses. The biggest issue I have with the exposition thus far is it's pacing and the choice of delivery.

Exposition has to be broken up with moments of action and character growth not related to the central plot in order to lend the show a sense of pace. Stick to the same thing too long, and a sense of monotony sets in, which slows the pace of the show and makes it a slog as we wait for a different narrative beat. In addition, Re:CREATORS seems to have made the decision that the vast majority of exposition should be delivered by the two characters with the least personality for the sake of clarity.

In actuality, what that has lead to is entire episodes where a group of characters is lectured by one individual for minutes at a time, which only makes it more frustrating when that individual makes a "startling revelation" about their situation only for no one to really question it, which makes the show feel more simple than it intends to be. There's not really enough debate to get the most out of premise because the rules of the universe are really only postulated by a couple individuals and everyone just agrees with them because... well, because.

This is to say nothing of the action, where I have another major complaint about the show: everyone's powers overlap too much. Say what you will about Fate, but battles in that franchise always feel like they matter because the Servants' fighting styles are usually drastically different from one another and they each have one or two aces up their sleeves, leading to tension since you don't quite know how these fights will play out. In Re:CREATORS, over two-thirds of the cast can fly (over half have unrestricted use of flight), and many only have a single weapon they fight with, usually a melee or ranged weapon (save for the girl who summons demons and the pilot who is martial artist outside his mech). And so far, none of them appear to have any extra abilities, and the promise of such was even quashed early on during one of the first few episodes.

This has unfortunately robbed much of the interesting aspects of these fights since everyone has fought exactly the same way every time they've been in a battle. The location might be different, the objective might be different, the sides people take might be different, but in the end, there's no surprises in any of these fights because no one has anything new to bring to the table. There's no underlying threat of something like a Noble Phantasm to keep the tension, so despite looking great, the fights fail to maintain any interest.

That said, I'll give credit where it's due. The show is gorgeous, and they've clearly invested a lot of work into making an original show that can compete with the best studios' work. Sawano continues to produce great music here, with the show's OP being a particular highlight and probably the best song of the season. But fantastic art, kickass music, and well-written characters can't save the dull presentation of the plot or the emotionally vapid battle sequences. It's a damn shame and I don't feel like it's capable of turning things around this far in.

Jarmel

Banned
That said, I'll give credit where it's due. The show is gorgeous, and they've clearly invested a lot of work into making an original show that can compete with the best studios' work.

Nah.

eHbeBDJ.jpg

KraytarJ

My Hero Academia 22
Not an unexpected result by any means but at least Uraraka was able to show her own tactical ability separate from Midoriya, and while it wasn't nearly enough it was still nice development. But really now it's time for the main course.

Attack on Titan 34
Another setup episode… with nothing happening…

Jarmel

Banned
Attack on Titan-34
vRSqg5J.jpg

So many eyeball shots.
Eren really is a shitty protagonist just because of how fucking one note he is. This episode consisted of him screaming for 24 minutes and god it's irritating. He can't ever shut up or actually use his brain for five seconds before it overheats. The best moment in the episode was the above shot with Eren looking at Bert and almost looking like he was about to cry just because it showed an emotion other than anger. The pacing was also slow as hell so that probably didn't help matters either. On the visual side, the digital makeup team had work this episode. This is starting to become art.
So many ways to draw the same thing.

Some sellout shill I'm subscribed on Youtube to made a video about how great Re:Creators is. Is it actually any good? Not watching any anime this season so far.

You talking about Mother's Basement? :p

At this point I think Re:Creators is just okay. The action set pieces are really nice, but there's exposition dump after exposition dump constantly. And I feel like people, Geoff included based on his video, praise it on it's potential to turn out good with a big payoff.

Cornbread78

MHA S2 ep.9
Soccer tournament weekend, but I managed to sneak this episode in. That was a pretty badass fight between those two. I mean, we knew how that was going to end, but good fight by Ur. Although, with that ending teaser, I'm more looking forward to next week now!

blurr

A Silent Voice's sound direction is so good, and the two moments you identify (the childhood montage and the very end) were some of the best marriages of sound and visual in the whole film.

It's amazing how the first time
the cross marks peels off of Nagatsuka's face
, I knew exactly how Ishida feels about him from that point. Consequently, everyone else.

AoT - 34

If the price for getting something so consistent, emotional and good looking is it only being one season, I'm A-OK with this. I feel very satisfied with this show thus far, even though it is only one cour, and we are steadily approaching its end. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't announce a season 3 for any time soon (how many years did it take to get this one?)

AoT - 34

If the price for getting something so consistent, emotional and good looking is it only being one season, I'm A-OK with this. I feel very satisfied with this show thus far, even though it is only one cour, and we are steadily approaching its end. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't announce a season 3 for any time soon (how many years did it take to get this one?)

I would be surprised if they announced a season 3 in the near future. Given what's on Wit's plate, especially Kabaneri S2 in 2018, a season 3 of Titan probably couldn't happen until 2019.

I would be surprised if they announced a season 3 in the near future. Given what's on Wit's plate, especially Kabaneri S2 in 2018, a season 3 of Titan probably couldn't happen until 2019.

That sounds about right and it's a shame. Kabaneri is... well, Kabaneri. Don't think they can turn it around from what it is, unless they do a massive overhaul to the tone of the show. AoT on the other hand is becoming increasingly better by the week, and it looks great. They seem to be giving this franchise a premium kind of treatment now, so in 2019 when they don't have as much on their plates, maybe they can go back to doing another 2-cour. They will have even more material to adapt by then.

Re:Creators 08

I was waiting for what happened in the last ten seconds to happen to that character since they were introduced but now I'm sad it happened.

Since people were talking about isekai on the last page, I actually just finished watching Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions. It was interesting watching this because if SAO was the Power Fantasy experience of being able to Solo you're way through a game, and Log Horizon is all about you being the leader of an Elite Guild, then Grimgar is the experience of the average scrub who sucks at MMOs.

Like, I like the fact that the "chosen child of destiny" is this completely different character off having adventures with his own party in the background why the main cast struggles against the weakest enemies for the first half of the series

On the plus side, I liked that the series actually made use of actual party dynamics and how much of a necessity it is, something that shows like SAO and Overlord completely brushed aside.

On the negative side, the characters felt pretty dull and the pacing definitely suffered from Light Novel Syndrome where the story would "reset" after every 4 episodes. Ranta was also fucking obnoxious, easily the worst character in the series. The fact that the last arc's emotional weight focused on him made me lose investment.

Oh yeah, and them ass shots were all over the place. Like damn A-1 Pictures. It puts Sinon in SAO2 to shame. :p

phaze

Oh god, next week's MHA looks so fucking good.

Umakoshi going all out and new Hayashi music. Blessed.

I need dis to be good. Been trying and failing to elicit some enthusiasm for this cour so far.

ef: A Tale of Memories 09
0280055lufw.jpg
028006qbu48.jpg
Nothing sets the mood so well as PS1 tier sky box.

I may be biased but worst girl winning was helluva random, sudden and jarring.

But maybe worth it for that ending and one of the better (and funniest ) integrations of an ED into the episode.
sasukebikum.png

Ascheroth

Re:Creators 8

I haven't disliked a character as much as Meteora in a while. At least the rest of the episode is getting better from the previous ones.
Every time she opens her mouth I have to think back to that scene where she pulled an allnighter playing her game and then telling everyone it was great and I'm basicaly "I don't believe you. Your entire character is not a convincing argument."

Re:Creators Episode 8

Kind of hope Military Uniform Princess succeeds, but also I love the happy scenes in the ED alot, especially the beach moment, so random (also the flying mecha).

The creators meeting each other is really good too, though I wonder if it can be really THAT awkward.

Tiger Mask W 33

UPDATED LIST OF TIGERS

Tiger Mask the Original
Tiger Mask II
Tiger Mask W
Spring Tiger
Tiger the Dark
Tiger the Red? Isn't that a thing
Original Tiger the Great
Tiger the Black. Different from Tiger the Dark...'cuz his skin is black I guess? Also he isn't the original Tiger the Black.
Big Tiger

Tiger the Second. Not Tiger Mask II. Full name Big Tiger the Second.
King Tiger. No this isn't King from Tekken.
The Original King Tiger.
Tiger the Third. AKA Tiger the Great, not the original one though. AKA Tiger the Great the Third. Not Tiger the Second's successor, nor Tiger Mask II's successor.

Give up?

Szadek

You know, I would ask stupid, nitpickingy questestions about Re: Creators, but it sounds like the show can probably answer all of them.

D3RANG3D

Tiger Mask W 33

UPDATED LIST OF TIGERS

Tiger Mask the Original
Tiger Mask II
Tiger Mask W
Spring Tiger
Tiger the Dark
Tiger the Red? Isn't that a thing
Original Tiger the Great
Tiger the Black. Different from Tiger the Dark...'cuz his skin is black I guess? Also he isn't the original Tiger the Black.
Big Tiger

Tiger the Second. Not Tiger Mask II. Full name Big Tiger the Second.
King Tiger. No this isn't King from Tekken.
The Original King Tiger.
Tiger the Third. AKA Tiger the Great, not the original one though. AKA Tiger the Great the Third. Not Tiger the Second's successor, nor Tiger Mask II's successor.

Give up?

I spat out my drink when a reporter said he looks a little too small to be Big Tiger and he shouts Goddamn and charges at the reporter although the subtitle says Goddamit LOL!

I need dis to be good. Been trying and failing to elicit some enthusiasm for this cour so far.

ef: A Tale of Memories 09

I may be biased but worst girl winning was helluva random, sudden and jarring.

But maybe worth it for that ending and one of the better (and funniest ) integrations of an ED into the episode.
sasukebikum.png
My brother!

Aki-at

Blame!

Well that was great, I didn't know what to expect but there was more dialogue than I thought there would be after having heard a bit about the manga, I was under the impression I was going to be listening in silence for most of it. Not that it was the most riveting script though!

The world was great, the designs of machines, the cities and the lore was enough to get me hooked, infact I'm interested in hunting down and picking up the manga too. I'd love to hear more about the world and explore it further in a sequel. My slight criticsm is Killy himself didn't really do much, he shot his gun a couple of times and then took on the super machine but whatever, everything else about the film was the sort of stuff I like in my science fiction.

I am so down for Godzilla now, Polygon Pictures haven't let me down yet. Maybe I should check out Aijin next?

Re:Creators Episode 8 - I really dislike the main(?) character. Dude has pivotal information that can help the main cast out but he continues to keep it to himself for reasons. Like, i know there's going to be some tragic backstory or whatever, but I don't see the harm in letting cast know he created the antagonist.

He's like a worse Shinji Ikari with his insecurities because at least Shinji would get in the damn Eva.

Blame!

Well that was great, I didn't know what to expect but there was more dialogue than I thought there would be after having heard a bit about the manga, I was under the impression I was going to be listening in silence for most of it. Not that it was the most riveting script though!

I have heard several fans of the manga complain that the film missed the point of Blame by having too much talking and not enough atmosphere.

Kickz

My Hero Academia 22

Not a manga reader, but I expected more from this tournament arc. We are already at the main matchup of Deku vs Shouto and no battle of note has really happened, even considering Ochako's fight against Bakugo.

Their battle itself was far to short, and seemed to be over after her initial plan collapsed. When compared to some of the great tournament like HunterxHunter; Hunter Exam, Yuyu Hakusho; Dark Tournament and Naruto; Chuunin Exam this is falling very short so far. Its still enjoyable, but no where near in those threes league.

You don't really notice how bad the dialogue is when it is fragmented. Putting it all together and seeing the exact same words repeated over and over is just bad. Terrible even.

Aki-at

I have heard several fans of the manga complain that the film missed the point of Blame by having too much talking and not enough atmosphere.

I can definitely agree with them, the talking did nothing for me. I can't even remember anything about these characters with the exception of Tae who wanted to help her sister but on the other hand, the city and how it works was something I can recall pretty easily.

(I only remembered Tae because she shares the same voice actress with Makoto from Persona 5)

Attack on Titan Episode 34 - I actually thought this episode was pretty good and better than last week's actually. I know people have issues with Eren, but given the circumstances I actually quite liked how it played out. The fact that his character flaws, being unable to not wear his emotions on his sleeves, ended up causing him to lose the support of Ymir by the end of it.

Quasar

Re:Creators 8

I haven't disliked a character as much as Meteora in a while. At least the rest of the episode is getting better from the previous ones.

I like her a lot. It's Magane who I loathe. Wish she wasn't in the show. I like the show though...a surprise as I'd normally not like it. At least so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom