• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

I'm still having notification issues. If the phone is idle for too long, no push notifications come through for either of my Gmail accounts. Notifications don't pop until I unlock the phone, sometimes I have to manually refresh the Gmail app. I've disabled battery optimization for that app to no avail.

I am considering returning the phone, which sucks, because I like most things about it. I just can't have this be an ongoing struggle. I'm not manually checking my email all day.

Have you tried turning the whole battery setting to "not optimized"?

northead

Multiple commercials every Sunday during football in the states, which is as big as you can get for major advertising.

Sadly one of tbose ads is the stupid Verizon pixel on a train ad where the girl uses VR on a train, which would immediately induce vomiting.

Ha, haven't seen that. But yeah definitely not the best case scenario.

andthebeatgoeson

It only does it if it's your first try after a reboot or you used a gesture/app to turn the screen off. It's not a secure OFF for Google, so they want your PIN again.
The only way to do it that I know of is with the Nova Launcher.

I have to check this out. I don't have an app I use to turn off the screen but it happened again this morning.

andthebeatgoeson

For security, you'll need to use your backup PIN, pattern, or password:

When your fingerprint isn't recognized after a few tries
After restarting (rebooting) your device
After switching to a different user on the device
After more than 48 hours have passed since you last unlocked using your backup method

From the help topic. Maybe other fingers touched it and it wants to secure my phone.

None of the other options apply.

thespot84

lens blur is fun:

GyhAW0B.jpg

torontoml

Having an issue today with my battery discharge display. I charged my phone to I thought 65% earlier, like 6 hours ago, but it's still sitting at 65%. It's the same in my battery usage as well as my battery widget pro app. I've restarted and completely powered down but it isn't changing.

So I guess I'll wait until it turns itself off and hope that fixes it.

Or I've got infinite battery life lol.

Fatalah

Verizon's Black Friday deal has leaked, and the regular Pixel looks like it's going for $10/month, but you're locked in for 24 months.

I'm getting much better stand by time/SOT than my 6p was. On my Pixel XL I'm regularly getting 6+ hours SOT in comparison to my 6p which would top out at 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Admittedly this is on WiFi with not a huge amount of movement (I've noticed that GPS sucks the battery much faster) but the comparison is apt. This is with no battery optimisation, full location accuracy, a few calls, lots of WhatsApp and web browsing, scrolling through Twitter and Reddit, YouTube videos, texts. I'm a heavy user.

Sky Chief

I'm getting much better stand by time/SOT than my 6p was. On my Pixel XL I'm regularly getting 6+ hours SOT in comparison to my 6p which would top out at 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Admittedly this is on WiFi with not a huge amount of movement (I've noticed that GPS sucks the battery much faster) but the comparison is apt. This is with no battery optimisation, full location accuracy, a few calls, lots of WhatsApp and web browsing, scrolling through Twitter and Reddit, YouTube videos, texts. I'm a heavy user.

I don't even usually charge my phone while using Google Maps anymore, it seems unnecessary because I can still easily make out through the whole day

Any recommendations on budget cases now that it's been out for a while?

I got a DGLite case, but it turned out to be incredibly bulky and heavy, and made it feel like a Fischer Price toy.

I'd be fine going naked if it wasn't slippery enough to guarantee a catastrophic toilet drop.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Did anyone upgrade from a 6P? I feel like the 6P is still pretty damn good. I probably will wait until the next one.

Did anyone upgrade from a 6P? I feel like the 6P is still pretty damn good. I probably will wait until the next one.

Without getting into the rest of the approvements which there are a lot of.... You can basically expect double battery life going from 5x > Pixel and 6p > Pixel XL

SMattera

I got a DGLite case, but it turned out to be incredibly bulky and heavy, and made it feel like a Fischer Price toy.

I'd be fine going naked if it wasn't slippery enough to guarantee a catastrophic toilet drop.

I'm really happy with Spigen Slim Armor. Not sure if $30 counts as a budget case, but I think it's sort of silly to spend $800 on a phone and then put it in a $5 case.

co1onel

If you just want a slim case to prevent scratches and improve grip, and don't care about drop protection, check out the bear motion case. It has a sandstone back like the old OnePlus phones, which have great grip. It's only $8. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow so I can post impressions if you want, but people on Reddit seem to like it.

I'm really happy with Spigen Slim Armor. Not sure if $30 counts as a budget case, but I think it's sort of silly to spend $800 on a phone and then put it in a $5 case.

Did you get this one?

The amazon reviews are unkind, but a case tends to be fairly subjective.

I was considering this other Sprigen hybrid case, although I think hard frames don't really do it any favors when it comes to shock protection.
If you just want a slim case to prevent scratches and improve grip, and don't care about drop protection, check out the bear motion case. It has a sandstone back like the old OnePlus phones, which have great grip. It's only $8. I have one coming in the mail tomorrow so I can post impressions if you want, but people on Reddit seem to like it.

I'd love it if you could post a quick 'yay or nay' with what you expected out of it. Wish there were more color choices, but this seems up my alley since all I really do just need something with a grip on it, and a place to stick my dashboard magnet.

thespot84

I did the Spigen crystal, soft just for scratches mostly. I don't have an issue dropping my phone. It's a great aesthetic addition and makes it nicer to hold.

SMattera

I used the Spigen hybrid case for my iPhone 6S Plus. The plastic frame broke after about 6 months. I bought a replacement, and then that one broke, too. Didn't buy a third, as I purchased the Pixel XL and sold the phone off.

That said, I thought it was great. Slim and it saved my phone from a half dozen fairly significant drops.

I came really close to getting the Spigen liquid crystal case but opted for the Otterbox Defender, since I knew it would take a beating plus came with a belt clip. Keeps my pocket free and makes me look important!

Brandwin

I really wish AT&T would start selling these. Still hoping Verizon deal is a short timed exclusive. I just don't want to pay full price for the phone.

iJudged

Banned
This phone! Battery is amazing, camera amazing, speed consistent, very snappy always, I love it. Have it 2+ weeks now and it's the best phone I ever had, and I've had many. PIXEL XL 32G Silver.

Sky Chief

It's a massive upgrade over the 6P. The battery life I'm getting is about 50% better, reception is better, camera is better, performance is much better, bluetooth isn't flaky as fuck anymore. The Pixel XL is a significantly better phone in every way except for no stereo speakers.

Sky Chief

I'm looking forward to seeing how much better next year's model is when the Pixel will suddenly have a ton of problems in hindsight.

Such is technology, we're in trouble if next year's model isn't a significant upgrade. The Pixel is far from perfect (uninspired design, speakers are shit compared to 6 and 6P, not waterproof, etc...) so many improvements should be made but it's good enough at all of the important things to still easily be the best phone on the market right now.

It also doesn't help that recent Android updates have caused major battery problems on Nexus phones. Conspiracy theorists might even think that Google is trying to nudge Nexus users to Pixel hardware.

AdanVC

Lot's great impressions. Good to know this thing has a kick ass battery life. Too bad who knows when it's going to be available here in Mexico. That is, if Google even bothers on launching it here :(

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a massive upgrade over the 6P. The battery life I'm getting is about 50% better, reception is better, camera is better, performance is much better, bluetooth isn't flaky as fuck anymore. The Pixel XL is a significantly better phone in every way except for no stereo speakers.
Ugh, you're making me want to upgrade.

Not to mention the screen is much better. First thing I noticed.

Did a factory reset on my HTC M8 before trading it into amazon, and boy, every aspect of that thing now feels like hot garbage in comparison.

I was had a tiny bit of buyer's remorse over laying down that much for 'just' a phone, but what a night and day difference.

Time to get back into clumsy amateur photograph with this beast.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So tempted to get this, currently rocking the Nexus 6. The biggest turn offs are the bezel, screen size, price, and having to switch to usb c. But if there's any decent deals coming soon I'd be awful tempted since I'm on Project Fi.

Though like others, the design is growing on me and I'm not sure if I'd be willing to wait another year for an upgrade.

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus. After two weeks with my XL, I'm very impressed by the battery life. Easily getting 5-6 hours of SoT with moderate browsing, messaging, and Bluetooth audio use most every day. Been plugging it in every other evening, and I've never been sweating it on that second day, usually still in the 20-30% range. In fact, during my first weekend with it, I'd taken Friday off, charged it in the morning on Friday and did not plug it in until bed on Monday night when it had finally dipped below 30%.

The screen is gorgeous and it does take some pretty impressive photos; still bummed about the giant waste of bezels and the lack of stereo speakers and wireless charging, but it's a trade I don't regret. Coming from the Moto Nexus 6 was a huge adjustment, the XL feels puny in comparison and the flat back felt weird for quite a while. I look forward to getting quite a few years out of this beast.

What kind of 4G speeds are people getting? I know this is heavily dependent on your network - but I'm getting 90 - 100meg on 4G on Three UK.

I got max 50 with my S7. Is the Pixel doing something different or did my carrier upgrade their network by coincidence when I got my Pixel?

EulaCapra

After nearly 1 month, two canceled orders, three re-orders, and $100 in Google Play credit as an apology......... my Pixel phone has finally arrived!

And in 1-2 business days depending on account transfer speed, I will be free from AT&T and officially be part of Google Project Fi!

thespot84

So many anecdotes about crazy XL battery life. I need some for the one-handed size so I know what to choose.

my regular gets 25+ hrs prjected time, I never let it go that far and charge it overnight, but battery is just something I don't have to worry about anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom