• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection on PS3 gets a new update with fixes and improvements

Ocaso

I'm skeptical, will wait for impressions.

Same here. A patch might be enough to make Silent Hill 2 acceptable, but part 3's color and lighting issues seemed beyond repair. Detailed impressions are necessary to convince me to spend money on this.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I would suggest not even buying the game.

Don't pay for lazy, bad ports. You'll only encourage more of them by effectively voting with your wallet.

HINT: The PC version already plays at 720p, the highest resolution the textures can be viewed efficiently in and doesn't involve patches or broken dreams.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So, just about every post in this thread seems to be complaining about the previous state of the collection...

How does it look now that they've made some fixes?

Exactly..everyone's posting about not playing until there's new impressions but if noone posts new impressions, we'll never know.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
How? Why?
It has happened in the past as well, though, I think Sega lost the code to Panzer Dragoon Saga. I don't really know how a big publisher can lose the source code to one of their best games, but it's hilarious. Kind of shows the current state of Konami.

Downpour was also needing a patch, right?

Very much. Downpour froze twice on my ps3, save system is completely fucked and the general performance of the game is terrible, not sure how much better it performs on 360. All that said I think it's not that bad, certainly not collection terrible which everyone involved with should just be ashamed.

Exactly..everyone's posting about not playing until there's new impressions but if noone posts new impressions, we'll never know.

Hopefully it's because most people managed to return/sell it or maybe even burn the collection forgetting it ever happened. They already released one patch that was supposed to fix stuff which didn't do shit. One thing this does surely not fix is now having Heather sound like a bad parody of some crappy dubbed anime character.

Fuck you konami, fuck you.

KiKaL

Don't pay for lazy, bad ports. You'll only encourage more of them by effectively voting with your wallet.

HINT: The PC version already plays at 720p, the highest resolution the textures can be viewed efficiently in and doesn't involve patches or broken dreams.

Is there any were to buy the PC versions digitally? I checked Steam and GMG but no go and Amazon is selling copies for $40+

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Is there any were to buy the PC versions digitally? I checked Steam and GMG but no go and Amazon is selling copies for $40+

Nope, the PC versions of SH2-4 aren't available digitally.

It has happened in the past as well, though, I think Sega lost the code to Panzer Dragoon Saga. I don't really know how a big publisher can lose the source code to one of their best games, but it's hilarious. Kind of shows the current state of Konami.

Actually, IIRC it used to be fairly standard practice for Japanese devs/publishers to not archive their source code properly.

wasn't SH Downpour due for a patch too? Any word on that?

Yep, there was a patch for Downpour coming too, although I think that one was mainly supposed to fix the issue with the in-game symbol for loading and auto-saving being the same, confusing people about whether the game was saving or not. No word on that patch though.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Hey everyone: I've created a comparison image between Silent Hill 2 (Xbox) running on my 360 and the new v1.02 of Silent Hill 2: HD Collection on my PS3.

This isn't scientific; I just took a few snaps of each version running off my TV. Don't read anything into colour saturation or any other differences; I was playing with settings while I did this.

You can see that in some situations, the fog looks quite good; however, the "fog wall" is still readily apparent—something I could never, ever reproduce when playing the Xbox 1 version. No matter the angle, speed, area, etc., I could never see that line. In the HD Collection, it's still there, albeit less so, I guess.

I can confirm that the framerate is much, much better. Other than a few hitches here and there, the PS3 game now runs as it should when you're outdoors.

Click here for the mega-sized version.

YuvuPl.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
LestradeTGQ said:
I can confirm that the framerate is much, much better. Other than a few hitches here and there, the PS3 game now runs as it should when you're outdoors
You guys realize that PS3 version runs at 60fps half of the time which is why the framerate was erratic? Is it 60 now most of the time or they capped it at 30 like the originals and 360?

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
You guys realize that PS3 version runs at 60fps half of the time which is why the framerate was erratic? Is it 60 now most of the time or they capped it at 30 like the originals and 360?

It wasn't that the framerate was cut in half (maybe it was, but that's not the effect I mean)—when playing outdoors, it ran at half-speed when running. You could really hear the disc drive chugging to keep up. The game didn't chop; it just suddenly was like playing underwater. That was my experience, at least.

Hopefully there will be more impressions of the game post patch. It would be great to replay these games again after so long and not have it run/look like trash.

Galdelico

Hey everyone: I've created a comparison image between Silent Hill 2 (Xbox) running on my 360 and the new v1.02 of Silent Hill 2: HD Collection on my PS3.

This isn't scientific; I just took a few snaps of each version running off my TV. Don't read anything into colour saturation or any other differences; I was playing with settings while I did this.
Thank you so much for the pictures and the impressions dude.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Too bad the PC versions are so damn expensive. :( Why do companies not allow for their older games to downloaded? :(

I think the HD collection lacks the film grain effect found in the original release. I hope I'm wrong though cuz I've been waiting to play a proper HD version for the consoles.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I think the HD collection lacks the film grain effect found in the original release. I hope I'm wrong though cuz I've been waiting to play a proper HD version for the consoles.

The film grain is there; because of the increased resolution, it looks a little finer. You can turn it off, though, as you could in the Xbox and Greatest Hits editions.

kunonabi

Unless the patch fixes the butchered audio design, the shitty voicework is only part of it, in SH3 there still isn't any point to patch or the collection.

BHK3

Banned
You can't patch the beta version of the game. The patch has to be like 3GB if they want to truly fix it.

Persona7

Banned
It's mainly to blame on the fact that a developer that had very little experience with porting games were given beta versions of two classics, had to port them over to two consoles along with trying to fix all of the bugs too. The absolutely disappointing generic new voice acting doesn't help either.

If only we could get a patch to bring back the old voices for Silent Hill 3, at least now I can actually start my SH3 playthrough now knowing that the framerate issues are gone.

Not only that but Konami did not even provide them with the correct version of the game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475400&highlight=

Kinyou

You can see that in some situations, the fog looks quite good; however, the "fog wall" is still readily apparent—something I could never, ever reproduce when playing the Xbox 1 version. No matter the angle, speed, area, etc., I could never see that line. In the HD Collection, it's still there, albeit less so, I guess.

I can confirm that the framerate is much, much better. Other than a few hitches here and there, the PS3 game now runs as it should when you're outdoors.

Click here for the mega-sized version.

http://i.imgur.com/YuvuPl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Yn2Sh.jpg

The original does still look better than the HD one :/

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MyEpitomeCliché;39751135 said:
Wait, are they not going to patch the 360 version? Because it too could certainly benefit from some of those fixes.
Do they even allow 300+mb patches?

heyguysitsme

Neo Member
One of the saddest and most lol-worthy things I ever saw was that article about the various HD Collections where Tomm Hulett goes "Many consumers don't realize you can't just buy a copy of SH2 and then open up its code in a usable state" and literally two paragraphs later the guy from Bluepoint (authors of GOOD HD Collections) goes "We take retail discs of the game and reverse engineer them. That way we can be 100% sure we have all the final retail data and that it matches up."

I shouldn't be hard on Tomm now because I'm absolutely THRILLED that we even got a patch at all and he really does seem to care about the franchise, but the whole thing so far has just been ugly and unnecessary, and the fact that Hijinx couldn't be bothered to reverse engineer retail copies of the games to make sure that they work (because that would take too much time, apparently) is proof enough that the Collection shouldn't even exist.

Combichristoffersen

One of the saddest and most lol-worthy things I ever saw was that article about the various HD Collections where Tomm Hulett goes "Many consumers don't realize you can't just buy a copy of SH2 and then open up its code in a usable state" and literally two paragraphs later the guy from Bluepoint (authors of GOOD HD Collections) goes "We take retail discs of the game and reverse engineer them. That way we can be 100% sure we have all the final retail data and that it matches up."

I shouldn't be hard on Tomm now because I'm absolutely THRILLED that we even got a patch at all, but the whole thing so far has just been ugly and unnecessary.

I don't blame Tomm, the poor guy gets far too much shit from GAF. I blame Konami cheaping out on the development of the HD collection, handing it off to a studio that had no prior experience porting PS2 games to PS360, and who didn't even get the final source code, but had to work off the beta source code.

348 MB is about one-fifth of the whole fucking game on PC. How is it they need to replace that much data? That's gotta include art and sound assets.

heyguysitsme

Neo Member
I don't blame Tomm, the poor guy gets far too much shit from GAF. I blame Konami cheaping out on the development of the HD collection, handing it off to a studio that had no prior experience porting PS2 games to PS360, and who didn't even get the final source code, but had to work off the beta source code.

I don't disagree, but what I'm saying is that the company that makes GOOD HD remakes doesn't even rely on source code in the first place, so that's not really a good excuse for the Silent Hill one being bad.

Combichristoffersen

I don't disagree, but what I'm saying is that the company that makes GOOD HD remakes doesn't even rely on source code in the first place, so that's not really a good excuse for the Silent Hill one being bad.

Well, yeah, but Bluepoint has quite a bit of experience in porting PS2 games by now (reverse engineering retail PS2 games can't be an easy task), while Hijinx had a Frogger game as their most high-profile game before being handed the SH HD ports. The blame rests squarely on Konami for cheaping out.

Anyway, just updated, and the game had me download the 57 MB v1.01 patch again for some reason? I'll have to see if I get the v1.02 update too.

I shouldn't be hard on Tomm now because I'm absolutely THRILLED that we even got a patch at all and he really does seem to care about the franchise, but the whole thing so far has just been ugly and unnecessary, and the fact that Hijinx couldn't be bothered to reverse engineer retail copies of the games to make sure that they work (because that would take too much time, apparently) is proof enough that the Collection shouldn't even exist.

As it was stated. We don't know (yet) the budget that was allocated to the project and if it actually allowed them to work off retail copies of the PS2 games.

If bluepoint is able to negotiate that to for their projects that's great, but it doesn't mean that's the same scenario for everyone.

For the little that we know the first meeting would have gone like: "Sup Tomm, we want you to do a SH collection and we have the source code."

Why would they negotiate a budget that includes reverse engineering the ps2 games, if that was the situation?

Doesn't change the fact that it is a poor product. But I find it hard to believe that the blame lies on one party.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well, yeah, but Bluepoint has quite a bit of experience in porting PS2 games by now (reverse engineering retail PS2 games can't be an easy task), while Hijinx had a Frogger game as their most high-profile game before being handed the SH HD ports. The blame rests squarely on Konami for cheaping out.

And they started with God of War 1+2. Not the smallest of franchises.

Top Bottom