• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection on PS3 gets a new update with fixes and improvements

One of the saddest and most lol-worthy things I ever saw was that article about the various HD Collections where Tomm Hulett goes "Many consumers don't realize you can't just buy a copy of SH2 and then open up its code in a usable state" and literally two paragraphs later the guy from Bluepoint (authors of GOOD HD Collections) goes "We take retail discs of the game and reverse engineer them. That way we can be 100% sure we have all the final retail data and that it matches up."

I shouldn't be hard on Tomm now because I'm absolutely THRILLED that we even got a patch at all and he really does seem to care about the franchise, but the whole thing so far has just been ugly and unnecessary, and the fact that Hijinx couldn't be bothered to reverse engineer retail copies of the games to make sure that they work (because that would take too much time, apparently) is proof enough that the Collection shouldn't even exist.

Bluepoint are great, wonder if there's scope for them to do a Sony Santa Monica and employ a few people to help other studios with their remasters

Hey everyone: I've created a comparison image between Silent Hill 2 (Xbox) running on my 360 and the new v1.02 of Silent Hill 2: HD Collection on my PS3.

This isn't scientific; I just took a few snaps of each version running off my TV. Don't read anything into colour saturation or any other differences; I was playing with settings while I did this.

You can see that in some situations, the fog looks quite good; however, the "fog wall" is still readily apparent—something I could never, ever reproduce when playing the Xbox 1 version. No matter the angle, speed, area, etc., I could never see that line. In the HD Collection, it's still there, albeit less so, I guess.

I can confirm that the framerate is much, much better. Other than a few hitches here and there, the PS3 game now runs as it should when you're outdoors.

Click here for the mega-sized version.

YuvuPl.jpg

oh god its like a (crappy) texture overhaul mod for a bethesda game, but done "professionally".

hatchx

Banned
I'll probably wait a year from now and pick this up for 7.99 in a Wal Mart bin.

If the patch fixes problems, that is.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Downloaded the patch but it was only 54mb.....
No Dolby still but the framerate is better, will have to get more into the game to test the fog.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wasn't there a day 1 patch on PS3? I remember people lolling over it in the original thread, so if you aren't running 1.02 or higher... doubt that anything has changed.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Wasn't there a day 1 patch on PS3? I remember people lolling over it in the original thread, so if you aren't running 1.02 or higher... doubt that anything has changed.

I think the day 1 patch was for the US version, as the EU version supposedly shipped with some fixes that weren't in the US version. Something like that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Combichristoffersen said:
I think the day 1 patch was for the US version, as the EU version supposedly shipped with some fixes that weren't in the US version. Something like that.

Ah right, that sounds very plausible.

So does anyone know if the framerate has been improved in Silent Hill 3 PS3? I was cautious about playing the game as I heard that the game is near unplayable due to the framerate getting progressively worse overtime.

Combichristoffersen

So does anyone know if the framerate has been improved in Silent Hill 3 PS3? I was cautious about playing the game as I heard that the game is near unplayable due to the framerate getting progressively worse overtime.

I started up SH3 again after the patch, from my save at the beginning of the church, and the framerate was generally fine. Not as rock solid as in the original PS2 version, but much better than what it used to be.

So no word on a 360 patch? I've had this sitting on my shelf for a couple months now, so that's kind of depressing. I never played the originals so I didn't have any memories to compare it to, but when I popped it in and played about 20 minutes of SH2 my first thoughts were "huh" "okay" "this isn't terrible I guess" right up until a point where you first get into town and the camera pans off to a "person in the distance walking away" and it's incredibly obvious with the shitty fog that it's not a fucking "person" but a zombie thing. So I turned it off and vowed not to touch it till I get a patch. But now I'm not getting any patch, and that makes me a sad panda : (

Mileena

Banned
I started up SH3 again after the patch, from my save at the beginning of the church, and the framerate was generally fine. Not as rock solid as in the original PS2 version, but much better than what it used to be.

So both games are playable? I'd feel bad for giving them money on this asstastic port but I really wanna play these games again :(

Combichristoffersen

So no word on a 360 patch? I've had this sitting on my shelf for a couple months now, so that's kind of depressing. I never played the originals so I didn't have any memories to compare it to, but when I popped it in and played about 20 minutes of SH2 my first thoughts were "huh" "okay" "this isn't terrible I guess" right up until a point where you first get into town and the camera pans off to a "person in the distance walking away" and it's incredibly obvious with the shitty fog that it's not a fucking "person" but a zombie thing. So I turned it off and vowed not to touch it till I get a patch. But now I'm not getting any patch, and that makes me a sad panda : (

I'm sure there'll be a patch for 360 too, but the PS3 version was the most broken one, and the one in most dire need of a fix.

So both games are playable? I'd feel bad for giving them money on this asstastic port but I really wanna play these games again :(

They're playable, yeah, but you'd be better off getting the PS2 versions. Or if you don't have a PS2, getting the PC versions.

Was it not enough for Konami to beat the shit out of this franchise year after year, they had to travel back in time and start it all over again?

At least Shenmue fans didn't have to stand by and watch it happen.

In case anybody needs a refresher or enlightenment as to what was wrong with HD Collection with extensive side-by-side video comparisons:

Silent Hill 2: THIS GAME SUCKS: Silent Hill HD Collection (Part 1)

Silent Hill 3: THIS GAME SUCKS: Silent Hill HD Collection (Part 2)

Thanks for posting those; they're really informative.

I've never played a Silent Hill game, and I was really looking forward to buying this HD collection, until I saw screenshot comparisons right before it was released. Even as somebody who has no nostalgia for the old games, I can see that these aren't trivial issues; these are game-spoiling flaws that make these ports far inferior to the originals.

I got excited when I saw this thread, but the patch doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, from what I've seen and heard.

I'm still going to pass, and I'll get around to playing the PS2 versions at some point instead.

kunonabi

Pretty much anything can be fixed with a patch.

They aren't releasing a patch with the original voices for SH3 so it's pretty much fucked. The VA and script changes will continue to be screwed up and audio design with the shuffled music tracks, added baby noises and shitty audio transitions are here to stay. The collection is shit and will continue to be shit no matter how many performance issues they fix. This HD collection will never be anything other than cheap cash grab. I still can't believe they took as many artistic changes as they did. The stuff with Mary's eye and the videotape is just ridiculous.

Reiko

Banned
They aren't releasing a patch with the original voices for SH3 so it's pretty much fucked. The VA and script changes will continue to be screwed up and audio design with the shuffled music tracks, added baby noises and shitty audio transitions are here to stay. The collection is shit and will continue to be shit no matter how many performance issues they fix. This HD collection will never be anything other than cheap cash grab. I still can't believe they took as many artistic changes as they did. The stuff with Mary's eye and the videotape is just ridiculous.

Actually that Mary's eye thing is a welcome and very creepy glitch.

So basically, get SH2:GH for PS2 or SH2:RD for Xbox & SH3 for PS2 and play them on a CRT or get the PC versions?

I've heard bad things about Silent Hill 2's PC port so I would recommend going with the PS2 or Xbox versions unless someone can correct me on this. However: The PC version of Silent Hill 3 is really well done and completely worth playing. If it's your only option though, I would recommend playing the HD Collection. The games are flawed but the experience is still there.

This game doesn't need a patch, it needs a recall. Isn't this port based on an unfinished beta version of the PS2 games?

Doesn't really matter anyway. I sold this POS a long time ago. I'll stick with the PS2 versions.

Combichristoffersen

This game doesn't need a patch, it needs a recall. Isn't this port based on an unfinished beta version of the PS2 games?

Doesn't really matter anyway. I sold this POS a long time ago. I'll stick with the PS2 versions.

It's based on the source code for the beta version of SH2, yeah. Dunno about SH3. The only way to completely fix these ports would be to have the games ported over from scratch again, but that's obviously not gonna happen.

It's based on the source code for the beta version of SH2, yeah. Dunno about SH3. The only way to completely fix these ports would be to have the games ported over from scratch again, but that's obviously not gonna happen.

The only way to fix these ports would be to offer PS3 users free downloads of Silent Hill 2 & 3 on PSN Classics.

I'd prefer it any day over the HD collections.

Reiko

Banned
The only way to fix these ports would be to offer PS3 users free downloads of Silent Hill 2 & 3 on PSN Classics.

I'd prefer it any day over the HD collections.

What should have been done:

Reverse Engineer the PS2 Version Disc of SH2

Port Silent Hill 3 PC version.

They built the ports from in pre beta builds, to fixed it with patches would need you to replace everything, patches of multiple gigs.

They polished two!

Makes no sense, unless you think the HD Collections versions are good, but since you seem to be trying to make a joke about how the base games weren't to your liking then that seems improbable.

Makes no sense, unless you think the HD Collections versions are good, but since you seem to be trying to make a joke about how the base games weren't to your liking then that seems improbable.

I wasn't even talking about the game. Behold!

Can't polish a turd.

We need a new metaphor since the mythbusters squashed this one.

They polished a turd?

That's just wrong.

They polished two!

On the record, I'm happy they're replacing the missing sounds (the foghorn gone in SH2 was just awful) but I'm setting realistic expectations of this patch fixing framerate issues, a few fog problems and little else. They'll be visually repugnant to those accustomed to the details found in the PC versions but at least they'll be playable (and affordable!) versions of the best survival horror of the ps2 generation. I guess I could join the chorus of 'HD Collection is horrible boo this Konami booo!' but that's not as interesting to me.

Razek

Banned
oh god its like a (crappy) texture overhaul mod for a bethesda game, but done "professionally".

The first few sections in the forest don't look too bad. Afterwords, it turns into a mess. Looks way to clean and the fog wall is still outrageous. Almost looks like a grey texture wall. Who thought it was a good idea to use that type of road texture? Is there construction going on in silent hill? Are the monsters laying fresh concrete and painting the lines too?

Persona7

Banned
One of the saddest and most lol-worthy things I ever saw was that article about the various HD Collections where Tomm Hulett goes "Many consumers don't realize you can't just buy a copy of SH2 and then open up its code in a usable state" and literally two paragraphs later the guy from Bluepoint (authors of GOOD HD Collections) goes "We take retail discs of the game and reverse engineer them. That way we can be 100% sure we have all the final retail data and that it matches up."

I shouldn't be hard on Tomm now because I'm absolutely THRILLED that we even got a patch at all and he really does seem to care about the franchise, but the whole thing so far has just been ugly and unnecessary, and the fact that Hijinx couldn't be bothered to reverse engineer retail copies of the games to make sure that they work (because that would take too much time, apparently) is proof enough that the Collection shouldn't even exist.

The one thing that really pissed me off was this :

gnnts.png

The fact that the game was known to be broken well before the release, yet it came out anyway.

Reiko

Banned
The first few sections in the forest don't look too bad. Afterwords, it turns into a mess. Looks way to clean and the fog wall is still outrageous. Almost looks like a grey texture wall. Who thought it was a good idea to use that type of road texture? Is there construction going on in silent hill? Are the monsters laying fresh concrete and painting the lines too?

This is supposed to be a town consumed in darkness after the events of Silent Hill 1.

Having freshly painted streets looks like the events of Silent Hill 1 are happening as soon as you walk there.

Psychologically it throws off the premise that you're in a abandoned town.

Not in this sense. At the root, the HD Collection is still based on incomplete, beta versions of SH2 and SH3. No patch can completely fix what's wrong with these.

The one thing that really pissed me off was this :

gnnts.png

The fact that the game was known to be broken well before the release, yet it came out anyway.

Yeah, Hulett bailed from the thread quickly once people started noticing how deep and abundant the problems were. He was long gone by the time those THIS GAME SUCKS videos released.

So I loaded up an earlier Silent Hill 2 save to see how well the fog has been changed on 1.02:
Zo9Pg.png

So far it's foggy, that's not a bad sign.

MKZRj.png

Okay, while the water may not be fixed. At least this scene will probably not look as hilariously bad as before.

HIxcd.png

God damn it Konami.

Sorry for the bad quality of the images, but that's the best I could really get right now. While it's not game-breaking, it's annoying that Konami haven't fixed a notorious bug that completely kills the atmosphere of the game. I thought Tom said that they were reading forums to see all of the bugs players had so that they could fix them. I really doubt they would have missed out on this problem.

Top Bottom