• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is your favorite game and do you think it will ever get dethroned?

For me it goes like this:

Goof Troop and SMRPG were dethroned by Majora's Mask and SSBM which were dethroned by Undertale. I hope it'll be beaten. I'm sure it can be.

Gabbelgak

Defense Grid (first one)

I kind of doubt it will ever be dethroned to be honest. With the decline in popularity for the straight tower defense style genre I just don't see there being many opportunities for it to be dethroned and it did everything essentially as perfect as can be done.

Kaji AF16

My favorite game is Captain Tsubasa 2: Super Strikers (NES, Tecmo, 1990). A relatively unknown gem.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was the first game in 25 years to threaten CT2´s reign but, even if they went the distance, ultimately settled for second place.

At this point in my life, I don´t believe CT2 can be dethroned. It has been extremely important for me for a quarter century and it represents many people, places and memories from my past.

Nick

Jet Set Radio and no way in hell. It felt like lightning in a bottle. No game has ever had more style, substance, and a killer soundtrack to boot. It's perfect.

The Last of Us

As much as I love TLOU, it would be pretty sad if nothing new were to ever top it. I'm never not going to be excited for the future of the medium, and I'll always welcome something new to change how I feel and think.

So yeah, I'm actively hoping my personal favorite changes in the future!

Bishop89

Cs 1.3-1.6

And no because I had the best time gaming with it and nostalgia :)

Last time I played it was like in 2008, so the community is probably on life support.

arcticice

Red Dead Redemption

Bloodborne, Persona 5, Nier Automata, and Witcher 3 came close, but none of them have been able to capture my heart like RDR did.

have realy really high hopes for RDR2. i hope it delivers

silva1991

Dark souls one.

Hell no I don't think it's possible. I have alot of all time favorite games, but nothing changed my view on gaming like this one.

atpbx

Resident Evil 4.

No, because it’s already transcended being “just a computer game”.

It’s now a bone fide legend.

Pokemon Red/Blue. Was a huge Pokemon fan as a kid. Still remember the smell of the store when I bought the game. Don't think a game will ever be that special to me again.

Witcher 3 has come close though. Loved the setting so much.

mnemonicj

To this day, every time I pick up Super Mario 64 (whether through emulation or at a friends) I still roam around to get a few stars.
No other game feels as enjoyable as this, and I hope Mario Odyssey brings this entertainment to the Switch.

ayob

honestly, Vanilla WoW, Half Life 2, Legend of Dragoon, Super Mario 64

The only one that might top them all is half life 3.

Edit: There are games that are old that might make this list once i play them.... i havent played the last of us, witcher 3, chrono trigger, FF6, FF7, bloodborne, persona 5,

Mgs2/FFVIII/Jak and daxter/gran turismo 3/Silent Hill 2/reREmake.

It's tie between all of these for my favorite game and no. These will never be bested.

SSBM wont be dethroned because nobody is going to reproduce what made it good
some of the recent clones seem to be trying

Ocarina of Time wont be dethroned either because they're going in a totally different direction now

hertog

Silent hill 2, so sadly no.

Although the modern trend of lootboxes/season passes comes dangerously close tp the depressing scary state of SH 2.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Seems like RE4 is a popular choice in this thread.

Greedings

MGSV

If someone can make a game with even more sublime stealth and combat mechanics, but with better bosses and a better story, MGSV will be dethroned.

Not sure how likely that is though.

Tailzo

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 for Dreamcast.
I don’t think any game even tries to emulate what I loved about those games.

Ravelle

I don't think Blood Borne will be bettered, even FROM Software and Hidetaka Miyazaki have to trump their own masterpiece.

Z..

I don't think I quite "get" this topic. My 3 fav games are SotC, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 1/2 and I wouldn't rate any of them over an 8 and there's plenty of 10/10s in my book.

So... yes? All have been dethroned long ago and I'm absolutely certain one game will someday replace SotC as my all time fav unless I end up dying too soon or something.

Melchiah

Silent Hill 2, and sadly there's a slim chance of it ever going to be dethroned. Its general unpleasantness, subtle symbolism, sexual undertones, and the gut-wrenching story are highly unlikely to be replicated in any form. Especially considering what happened to Rule of Rose in Europe. Silent Hills was probably the best chance to get even in the ballpark, but that's gone now with a gaping hole in its place. =/

fury

PSO is probably my favorite experience playing a game, but it would probably be pretty boring to play today. So I guess there are other games I'd consider better, but I don't think anything will dethrone the experience of playing PSO in its prime.

Daingurse

PSO is probably my favorite experience playing a game, but it would probably be pretty boring to play today. So I guess there are other games I'd consider better, but I don't think anything will dethrone the experience of playing PSO in its prime.

Might want to try it, man. I come back to PSO every couple of years. Me and my brother love playing split-screen coop via Dolphin. The game is eternal.

XvSP

Neo Member
Super Mario Bros 3!
I still enjoy replaying it every year from start to finish without skipping a single level. After 20 years of doing so I'm quite sure it will never be dethroned.

Rhoc

World of Warcraft - I don't think I can ever have that feeling of wonder again. It was my first Mmo at the time and everything was so unbelievable new for me. For 2 years it was my life.

Unreal Tournament 2k4 - My favorite Shooter of all time. I had my team and we trained every day for 4-5 hours. We were pretty good. Some great memories with some old friends. Can't think of a game that can bring that competitive feeling again.

WITHE1982

Silent Hill 2.

Will it ever be dethroned? Given the franchise is as good as dead (F*ck Konami) and the fact that modern horror games have shifted from psychological survival horror into more action oriented ones... I'd say it's pretty safe for a while.

I'd love a modern game to give it a run for its money though.

Murdamonk

Chrono Trigger on the SNES... Nope, I don't think that it will ever be dethroned.

The story, the art, the music... And the nostalgia.

Jet Set Radio and no way in hell. It felt like lightning in a bottle. No game has ever had more style, substance, and a killer soundtrack to boot. It's perfect.

This. Though for me it is a tough battle between JSR, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue 1/2. The mixture of nostalgia, personal impact of those games on me and my taste in gaming and allaround that time being a special time for me will make it difficult for those gems to be beaten.

The difficult thing is, I don't really have one single favorite game, just different games in different genres where I think those games were the peak for me personally.

All my favorite games on an objective basis will be dethroned at some point - and this already happened with NES to N64 favorites of mine. As I got older, I found that around 30 I started to see games in a fresher light again and started to enjoy gaming more again. Last 3-4 years were the best years in gaming for me since late 90s/early 2000s and I think this had a lot to do with me changing my point of view and being able to see new things with the same enthusiasm as I saw them when I was still a teenager. Both new games and classics I've missed out on.

Which brings me to the point that I could make an argument for Zelda BotW being the best, most magical gaming experience I've had in a long time.

The Trails in the Sky/Cold Steel series might have dethroned Skies of Arcadia for me, in a way. Also, while fundamentally different games if you look closer, Yakuza Zero really gets close to Shenmue, also thanks to the 80s setting.

And, while it started out as a "this is OK, but so what"... Metroid Prime over 15 years went on from a game I felt was overhyped to a game I replay every year to a game I really adore.

There really hasn't been something like Jet Set Radio/Future ever since, though, and I still replay JSR 1-2 times/year. I think this thread made me realize that I could make good points for JSR being one of my most beloved games and at the same time it is highly unlikely that it will be dethroned since ... there's no way to really capture that essence of the era again.

Also, this thread makes me want to finally check out Dark/Demon Souls.

RE4 used to be my favorite game of all time, Dark Souls dethroned it. I was originally expecting Bloodborne to dethrone Dark Souls too, unfortunately that didn't happen, Bloodborne is a very special game but it's just not as groundbreaking as Dark Souls.

It's been 6 years and I'm still waiting.

I don't think modern gamers (people who didn't even owned a PS3/360/Wii) understand just how good Dark Souls 1's design was, it's the literal reincarnation of Symphony of the Night.
It also plays and controls better than 98% of modern games, with the exception of Bloodborne and Nioh. Witcher 3's combat was like puke and dogshit compare to Dark Souls, If you can enjoy TW3's combat than you totally will enjoy Dark Souls.

Top Bottom