• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which is your favorite game and do you think it will ever get dethroned?

Laiza

Dragon's Dogma.

It's the only game that really fulfills the fantasy of a Dungeons & Dragons campaign with regards to the constant escalation of power and the crazy monsters you'd fight with that power. As a real-time action RPG it simply has no peer. Even better that it has some of the best character creation and some of the best fashion in the whole business. Plus the lore is a real treat, especially in the way that it directly addresses the fact that it's a video game with NG+.

I really feel a true sequel is the only thing that could dethrone it for me. DDON is great in some ways, but in other ways it feels a bit of a step back. I really want a full-on next-gen sequel to play.

I hope we get one someday.

Mine's Metroid Prime and since 2002 it hasnt been dethroned yet, Bloodborne came close but didnt over-throw it. So I don't expect metroid prime to be dethroned any time soon.

antitrop

It's been Final Fantasy VII for 20 years running, so I'm pretty sure nothing could top it at this point. Not even the FF7 Remake.

Chrono Cross

The answer is no because my nostalgia will not allow any other game come close to it in my mind because when I played it was a special time in my life. The other closest might be Dragon Warrior 7 but I played that game around the same time as Chrono Cross.

Kovacs

I like this post. MI1/2 are definitely two of the best games ever.

Did you play the remasters? They were also excellent.

Yes, but I wasn't keen on the art style of MI1 (what was going on with that hair!?). Thought they did a much better job with MI2. At least they did the right thing and retained Dominic Armato's voice acting from the PC CD-ROM version.

HvySky

Metroid Prime. It has been my favorite game since I first played it in 2002 and while I've experienced a lot of incredible games since then, none have hit the same peaks that Prime did for me back in the day (and even when I replay it now). Art direction, level design, musical composition, combat, puzzle solving, platforming, and the absolutely mind blowing world-building via scanning created the most cohesive and enjoyable game I've ever played. Nothing has topped it. I'd be surprised if anything ever does.

Surfinn

Yes, but I wasn't keen on the art style of MI1 (what was going on with that hair!?). Thought they did a much better job with MI2. At least they did the right thing and retained Dominic Armato's voice acting from the PC CD-ROM version.

Actually

I was going to add this to my post. I didn't care for the new art they did for M1 but my god, the remake of M2 is like fucking pixel for pixel. It's so good.

It's been Final Fantasy VII for 20 years running, so I'm pretty sure nothing could top it at this point. Not even the FF7 Remake.

I don't even really like FF. But FF7 was absolutely incredible

Luminaire

Valkyrie Profile 1 was dethroned by Valkyrie Profile 2. It was then dethroned by Valkyrie Profile 1 again. Then 2. 1. 2. 1.

It changes constantly between the two as I have difficulty deciding which I love more. They could potentially both be dethroned by VP3 but that is just a distant dream...

chainsawd

Neo Member
Phantasy star online as I still play it on my gamecube,

a few close contenders though is Dark Souls, Hyperlight Drifter, Lisa. In terms of games that I finished and genuinely said to myself "that was one of the best games i've ever played."

EDIT FOR BLOODBORNE AS WELL

Super Mario Bros 1 and Tetris.

I don't really see how it's possible. I think they are perfect and I have never stopped playing either of them since they were released.

Wink

Resident Evil 4

I hope something will surpass it eventually.
I really don't think it's likely though. I even adore the most common point of criticism of the game (protecting Ashley). It's pretty much the epitomy of the single player campaign imo and the game that got me back into console gaming in a big way. So on top of being flawlessly designed it's also reintroduced me to a world full of treasures and that'll be hard to beat.

petran79

Banned
One of my favourite games was Bubble Bubble but I think it has been surpassed by the 1994 sequel Bubble Symphony.

Elevator Action Returns remains the best 2d action game. Not even today's indie games can match it. It surpassed the original game of course.

I thought Tetris could not be surpassed, but games like Puyo Puyo and Cleopatra Fortune prove the opposite.

Ocean Hunter atmosphere has not been reached in any arcade shooter.

KOF98UM FE still remains the most polished and balanced 2d fighter. Same for GG AC+ R.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is still the best and most epic pnc adventure game ever.

My best got dethroned/replaced at least once per generation. So I would say yes. As great as it is in my eyes now, it will be top by another GOAT game in the future.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
b593d24d91bb4e0221d2d6ed5d360616.jpg

Lets see if the new SMT HD can dethrone Nocturne but doubt it.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

I love games with open worlds and Morrowind had the best one yet. All these years since it released and i haven't played anther game with a world as believeable as Morrowinds.

I kinda have given up the hope that there will ever be a game again, that has such fantastic worldbuilding.
Don't get me wrong there are other games out there with amazing worlds. Just not on the same level as Morrowinds.

Would have been my pick too if I hadn't tried to play it recently. Aged pretty badly. Might try again sometime.

Jeiiya

Chimera.jpg

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

I really really love Dragon's Dogma. I've played it so many times and still have tons of fun. Even with the limited monster selection I genuinely still love the game. Basically, the only thing that could dethrone this title for me would be Dragon's Dogma 2.

Zyrox

Persona 3 is my favorite and it can be dethroned for sure. Just need to find a game that resonates with me as much. Xenoblade 1 is rather close so maybe Xenoblade 2 will be the game to dethrone P3. Or maybe Persona 6. Or the Fantasy thing from Atlus. Or something else entirely. Something unexpected.

Bardiche

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. No game has come close, and I don't see any game ever coming close to it in the future.

My favorite game is Bravely Default and I think it could be dethroned. For instance, the story isn't very good. The graphics are not very good. And it has a really bad part at the end.

The place where it really excels is the gameplay. Best RPG battle system ever. I love all the jobs and the brave/default system. I love all the convenience features. And the difficulty curve (on hard mode) was perfect for me. Every step of the way I felt challenged, but with a little creativity I was able to overcome. That was so satisfying, because often RPGs start off challenging but become too easy by the end.

Maybe one day there will be another RPG with such a perfect level of complexity and difficulty, and maybe it will also nail the story and graphics too. That would surpass Bravely Default. I'm not exactly holding my breath, but it could happen.

kunonabi

One of my favourite games was Bubble Bubble but I think it has been surpassed by the 1994 sequel Bubble Symphony.

Elevator Action Returns remains the best 2d action game. Not even today's indie games can match it. It surpassed the original game of course.

I thought Tetris could not be surpassed, but games like Puyo Puyo and Cleopatra Fortune prove the opposite.

Ocean Hunter atmosphere has not been reached in any arcade shooter.

KOF98UM FE still remains the most polished and balanced 2d fighter. Same for GG AC+ R.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is still the best and most epic pnc adventure game ever.

Damn straight. That game is in my top ten for life.

Hobbes211

Fallout and Fallout 2 - probably not. I still replay them at least once a year.

Diablo 2 - I'll never go back to it, but for the years that I played it I can't think of another game that would hold my attention for as long as it did.

sublimit

Banned
Chimera.jpg

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

I really really love Dragon's Dogma. I've played it so many times and still have tons of fun. Even with the limited monster selection I genuinely still love the game. Basically, the only thing that could dethrone this title for me would be Dragon's Dogma 2.

I have lost count how many times i bought replayed this game.I'm currently replaying it again on PS4 and the more i play the more i realize how much i absolutely love it and i keep dreaming about all the improvements a potential sequel could have.

I need Dragon's Dogma 2 badly.

I have lost count how many times i bought replayed this game.I'm currently replaying it again on PS4 and the more i play the more i realize how much i absolutely love it and i keep dreaming about all the improvements a potential sequel could have.

I need Dragon's Dogma 2 badly.
I tried playing thru it recently and did not enjoy it.
I have a feeling that it will click on the next attempt though.
Any tips?

Street Fighter II (SFV getting there though)

Last of Us (sequel could)

Streets of Rage 2 Nothing can top this in this genre.

Sonic Mania

ThunderForce IV

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

No, I don't think it will ever get dethroned. Too much time has passed, nostalgia is one hell of a drug.
As you get older less and less stuff makes it into your "top X" lists and I'm not sure your number 1 movie, tv show, book, etc ever gets dethroned after some time.

Has been RDR for a long time. That said, I can absolutely see it being surpassed. Just like Half-life before it and SMW before that.

Portal 2.

I hope so, but I don't think so. What I really like about Portal 2 is the way that it handled storytelling. Valve isn't making single player games anymore, and I don't see anyone else even attempting to narrative in a similar way.

MTC100

Banned
Breath of the Wild. It has beaten Deus Ex and Chrono Trigger that were my favorites before.

Might get dethroned less than two weeks from now -but probably only by the next Zelda, as Mario is dear to me I don't see it reaching the same heights as BotW.

Neo_MG90

For a looooong time it was Chrono Trigger, then it was dethroned by The Witcher 3.

For now the only ones that I can think that can dethrone it are Death Stranding or Cyberpunk 2077, but I hope I stumble in a surprise or two along the way.

For a looooong time it was Chrono Trigger, then it was dethroned by The Witcher 3.

For now the only ones that I can think that can dethrone it are Death Stranding or Cyberpunk 2077, but I hope I stumble in a surprise or two along the way.
I felt like this for a bit but Chrono Trigger is again my favorite. I LOVED the Witcher 3 and had great memories of it for a while. But I don't think about it anymore. But I still think about the good old Chrono Trigger.

sublimit

Banned
I tried playing thru it recently and did not enjoy it.
I have a feeling that it will click on the next attempt though.
Any tips?

Hmm i don't know it depends on what were your issues with it. Did you tried all the vocations?At which point in the game did you stop?

I remember that although i enjoyed my first playthrough back when it was first released on PS3 the game didn't actually really clicked until i started my second playthrough.Then i started to experiment more with the vocations and skills and realized the tremendous depth and fun of its combat system.The game also does a lot of other things right but the satisfaction of the diverse combat and the fine tuning aspect of my team were always the main draws for me.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

I remember playing this as a kid and took me ages to make progress, but this game is one of the biggest reasons why old point and click adventures are still my favorite genre and the game works just as well today as it did back then. Memorable characters, atmospheric locations, clever dialogue and constantly funny humor. I've played Monkey 2 through probably close to 20 times and never get tired of it.

The Legend of Zelda
is my all time favorite game series and recently Breath of the Wild got really close being my all time favorite game and it's already game I've played most counting in hours, around 300-400h.

Top Bottom