• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered |OT| The Notorious D.O.G.

The game autosaves your highscores and Cool Mode progress. Also, you can't save replays when you're picking individual songs from stage select and you can only save one replay at a time anyway. If you want to record your perfect runs, hit the share button.

Yeah, he's getting a cut... A-CUT FROM THE NEXT PARAPPA GAME!

but seriously he sees no money from this.

I couldn't save even when trying to continue to play the main game, either. It would still bring up the "Try Again" screen after I beat the song.

Also, the game doesn't actually auto-save Cool Mode progress. I learned that the hard way when I went to Easy mode after finishing every song with a Cool. After I went back to Normal mode I saw that all my progress was gone. I didn't actually click on the KT & Sunny band thing beforehand, so I had to basically re-do my entire playthrough to get that last trophy.

Camjo-Z

I couldn't save even when trying to continue to play the main game, either. It would still bring up the "Try Again" screen after I beat the song.

Also, the game doesn't actually auto-save Cool Mode progress. I learned that the hard way when I went to Easy mode after finishing every song with a Cool. After I went back to Normal mode I saw that all my progress was gone. I didn't actually click on the KT & Sunny band thing beforehand, so I had to basically re-do my entire playthrough to get that last trophy.

OK, so:

- It doesn't actually autosave. Apparently I just never pay attention when I'm saving.
- If you choose Start, you can save your progress after every stage.
- If you go to stage select, you can only save if you get Cool Mode.

rSpooky

Dammmit . so the lag issues were not my tv..lol you know how much I was trying to make adjustments thinking it was my setup? Did finish it i. The end but what a struggle. And turns out it is the game.. LoL. Well now I feel a little better and I can reset my tv/receiver hehe.

Just do not remember this issue from the original..

My memory of the original on PS1 is that it was the same. You can't follow the visual cues at all, just use the song and actually press slightly before you think you should.

Yeah, the more I've played Parappa 1 in its original format (as well as the rest of the series, to some extent), the more I've come to the conclusion that while a lot of hip-hop-listening Parappa players naturally are going to try to rap on the backbeat because it *sounds right*, the game always wants you to rap *on* *the* *beat*, which may sound a bit uptight as you hear it, but it's what the game wants from you, especially for Cheap Cheap.

To erase any doubt, I've hated how evil the Cheap Cheap level was since 1997, and in turn I found the Teriyaki Yoko level in Um Jammer Lammy equally infuriating. It's not (just) the input lag. These games are just really picky about your musical timing (they're made by a professional musician, after all), although I feel like Parappa 2 was a *bit* more forgiving.

And yeah, for what it's worth, slipping in extra syllables has always been what I've done to squeak my way through the extra tricky parts.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Bought this, what in the fucks name is that chicken stage's problem? I think it's the same place I got stuck in as a 20 year old

zeemumu

Heh heh heh...he's a pothead...

parappa-2.png

I realized if you hold a button say L1 while pressing X while you hit everything else and parappa will freestyle. I got higher points and finished that horrific stage easily when I discovered that by accident.

OK, so:

- It doesn't actually autosave. Apparently I just never pay attention when I'm saving.
- If you choose Start, you can save your progress after every stage.
- If you go to stage select, you can only save if you get Cool Mode.

Like I said, selecting Start still brought up that Try Again screen.

I fail Cheap Cheap for at least 30 minutes on launch night.

I come back today, and have cool by the 2nd line and keep it for the rest of the song.
(I know it's not possible to get cool your first time though)

This F****** Game, Yo

Camjo-Z

Like I said, selecting Start still brought up that Try Again screen.

Not sure how that's possible considering pressing Start and selecting New Game is essentially starting the game on a fresh file (or when pressing Continue, starting the game from wherever you last saved). If it showed you the Try Again screen every time instead of an ending cutscene/save screen you'd never be able to progress in the game. Reinstall the game I guess.

Also, I think the reason all your progress was erased before is because the game only has one save file. So when you switched to Easy mode and got Cool on everything, you saved over your previous Normal file.

Not sure how that's possible considering pressing Start and selecting New Game is essentially starting the game on a fresh file (or when pressing Continue, starting the game from wherever you last saved). If it showed you the Try Again screen every time instead of an ending cutscene/save screen you'd never be able to progress in the game. Reinstall the game I guess.

Also, I think the reason all your progress was erased before is because the game only has one save file. So when you switched to Easy mode and got Cool on everything, you saved over your previous Normal file.

I don't think it's possible to get Cool in Easy mode, actually.

Also, the reason my progress was erased was because I never manually saved.

Camjo-Z

I don't think it's possible to get Cool in Easy mode, actually.

Also, the reason my progress was erased was because I never manually saved.

ok nobody listen to me anymore when it comes to parappa mechanics. i officially have no clue what i'm talking about.

if you need to know pointless obscure parappa trivia though, i'm your man

TheOGB

Banned
I can't believe I made it through every stage on the first try (Cheap Cheap on the second) and then fucked up and failed the last song at the last second when PaRappa leads the crowd
4tCIK.gif

LUXURY

Okay, I must be dumb but I can't get into Cool Mode no matter what I do. Can I not do it in Story even if I've beaten the specific level? Also, when I'm attempting to "make my own beat" do I just use the commands I'm given or all of them? I didn't expect this game to be so confusing...

Camjo-Z

Okay, I must be dumb but I can't get into Cool Mode no matter what I do. Can I not do it in Story even if I've beaten the specific level? Also, when I'm attempting to "make my own beat" do I just use the commands I'm given or all of them? I didn't expect this game to be so confusing...

I recommend just watching some Youtube videos of Cool Mode and doing what they do, since the method is a lot easier to show than it is to describe.

Is that Playstation Official Product think a sticker on the wrapper, or is it on the inside of the case?

It's a sticker applied onto the game cover, unfortunately.

I have been STRUGGLING with cheap cheep for the past few days and just beat it today by just spamming the buttons way before I felt like I was supposed to even if they were the wrong buttons....mess.

kubus

Just a heads up -- the English physical version is back in stock at Play-Asia for $22.99.

Link

Use code "gematsu" for $3 off (if it still works).

Top Bottom