• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

GhaleonEB

A lot of MS rumors have not panned out lately. Charing for online play on Live for Windows, announcing this thing at CES, the Dig Dug release :)p). I'm hoping they are not going to be this dumb, or that we don't have the full picture yet.

mildewproduction

MirageDwarf said:
So your thread about 29th March announcement was about this?

Yep, that is what I heard. Press release March 29th about this product. That's all I know, besides the date of the release of the product.

Flyguy

goldenpp72 said:
All I can say is that the zephyr thing could be microsofts biggest mistake if they don't handle it right. It needs to replace a sku and not be a third one.

Aye. If they're intent on doing this, it should become the premium at $399, and the current premium should drop to $299 and do away with the Core. I appreciate them trying to pack more value into the console, but a true price drop would resonate more.

Bebpo

Banned
jetjevons said:
Suck it up h8rs. You're all going to whine and you're all going to get it.

Why anyone would trade in and upgrade their system for HDMI (which gives pretty much identical video to component) and a new color is beyond me. Unlike the DS there is no major upgrade, and there isn't even the smaller form factor of the PStwo.

Now if you're just talking about buying the hard drive for $199, then yeah I can see a lot of people doing that (personally I'll just keep deleting demos and save $199).

skinnyrattler said:
Wait, prices are supposed to go down, right? WTF?

Tell that to the PSP.

Big-E

If the Zephyr costs $80 more and includes the hard drive and everything you get with the premium pack I will pick one up since I planned on getting a 360 in a couple of months anyway. I don't think its possible for Microsoft to charge $80 more for just HDMI and a black finish.

This would only detract from sales not increase them. Consumers have already shown that they're going to shun the lower priced models and view them as inferior. All this would acheive is the impression among the general populance that the PS3 is similarly priced to the 360, which is not the general impression at the moment.

Microsoft need to decrease their cost of entry not increase it. 3 SKUs is only ever going to confuse customers.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Bebpo said:
Unlike the DS there is no major upgrade, and there isn't even the smaller form factor of the PStwo.

:lol :lol

people buy like 2-3 different DS due to the color so cut that if the major upgrade, I can see people buying a Phat DS and then buy the DS lite but I know a shyt load of people who bought a white DS Lite then bought a Black one or a pink one depending who they are.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so is Microsoft trying to validate Sony's pricing and get more people to buy a PS3? Cause if so, this is a great way to do it.

price parity with the core PS3 but no bluray? Fabulous.

How about you just let us download your stupid movies to our PCs and stream them. Or to a USB HDD that costs 'less than $200' for 500 bloody GB!

Flyguy

bud said:
Does the hdd come with the system or not? If so then the price isn't really that bad

The way I read it is you get everything you currently get with the premium (wireless controller, component cable, headset, etc.), but in black with HDMI output and 120 GB HDD vs. the 20 GB HDD.

Reikon

If this is true, Microsoft is dumb. They need to make the new one $400 and make the old premium $300 and drop the tard pack altogether.

Do you guys honestly think MS is gonna charge an extra $80 for an HDMI port? Come on now, of course this includes the HDD.

I think GI meant to say it will also be sold separately.

But now I know what Xbox 480 meant in the NPD numbers yesterday.

Bebpo

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
:lol :lol

people buy like 2-3 different DS due to the color so cut that if the major upgrade, I can see people buying a Phat DS and then buy the DS lite but I know a shyt load of people who bought a white DS Lite then bought a Black one or a pink one depending who they are.

Yeah, I hear these stories about these people existing but I dunno, I mean it's a total waste of money since the inside is exactly the same. These are the type of people I would have to smack in the face if I met them.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Bebpo said:
Yeah, I hear these stories about these people existing but I dunno, I mean it's a total waste of money since the inside is exactly the same. These are the type of people I would have to smack in the face if I met them.

I slapped them a couple times so don't worry, I did both of our job.

Norse

This is clearly an attempt by Shane from 1up yours to slow 360 purchases so ps3 outsells it in the month of March.

I kid...I kid!:lol :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
sublime085 said:
Do you guys honestly MS is gonna charge an extra $80 for an HDMI port? Come on now, of course this includes the HDD.

No... That meant that the Xbox1 sold 480 units in February.

Bebpo said:
Why anyone would trade in and upgrade their system for HDMI (which gives pretty much identical video to component) and a new color is beyond me. Unlike the DS there is no major upgrade, and there isn't even the smaller form factor of the PStwo.

People who have TV with HDMI only. Plus this new production will most probably have that 65nm cooler processors.

HokieJoe

sublime085 said:
Do you guys honestly MS is gonna charge an extra $80 for an HDMI port? Come on now, of course this includes the HDD.

Are you saying that the potential hotness of a black 360 isn't worth something? ;)

MS: We're selling pretty decently, but haven't been able to break into the mass market yet. We have a great lineup of games, excellent online capabilities, powerful hardware, and . Why aren't you guys buying it?

Customers: Well, we do like great games, so you're ok there, but we generally don't want to pay over $250-$300 for gaming hardware, and online, while nice, isn't the main thing we look for when we buy a system. We also have no problem with memory cards or less than 1GB of onboard storage. We also don't really give a shit about HDMI ports. What is that anyway? That's why we've been buying an assload of DS's, Wii's and PS2's compared to you, PS3, and PSP.

MS: Well, why don't you buy the core system?

Customers: Well, you can't go and hype up the premium system and make it an "awesome" deal, and then expect us to pay for the core system scraps. We're just gonna either save our money for the premium, or we're just gonna ignore you altogether and find a cheaper system to have fun with. You're essentially admitting as a company that the Premium is the one we should really buy, so why should we settle?

MS: Hmm...seems logical. The mass market clearly wants affordable game systems. The mass market may like online but it isn't necessarily the entire reason for a system purchase. The mass market also doesn't seem to really care a lot about gigabytes of storage in their game system. Therefore, we shall release a $480 system SKU with HDMI and 120GB of storage which is only useful if you download a ton of movies and tv shows online. Brilliant!

but probably fake

Raistlin

sublime085 said:

One would hope not, but it isn't just HDMI ... it is also the new scaler chip.

Regardless, I really hope it includes the HDD.

Does this mean we can get 1080p HDMI HD DVD with it?

Eric WK

This would be a horrible move, but it sounds very likely.

And 80 extra bucks for HDMI, new chip, 100 more gigs, black color really isn't that bad for new buyers. But I'm not buying another 360 for more than I paid for the one I own.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
$480 for the new Xbox, Not bad MS good price

Oh wait there's no HDDVD included??? F.CK YOU MS!

200 for a drive :0 BOHICA!!!

Onix said:
One would hope not, but it isn't just HDMI ... it is also the new scaler chip.

Regardless, I really hope it includes the HDD.

Does this mean we can get 1080p HDMI HD DVD with it?
Which would essentially mean nothing as a bullet point to the average consumer.

And i don't see how they could possibly omit HDMI HD-DVD at 1080p, it would be absolutely stupid. even if it wasn't enabled at it's launch there would be a software patch soon after I'm sure

Mifune

Mehmber
Umm, obviously it would come with a hard drive. But that price point still sucks. Why? Adding another SKU for the 360 is just bad news, especially one that's MORE expensive than what's already available. Haven't the sales of the PS3 and Wii taught Microsoft anything?

This MUST be a joke.

Barnolde

Banned
*looks at avatar*
Heh.

All the rumors pointed to this exactly, so it's not really a surprise, but the price still SUCKS. It should be $400 with the Premium being $300 and the stupid gimped Core (it's still the worst idea ever, makes the Sega CD seem smart) being phased out.

Will this even have 65nm? That's probably one of the most important parts to combat the overheating. Since that was delayed again from spring to mid 07.

rage1973

GhaleonEB said:
How much should a $120 GB HDD run?
They should have just used a 60G or a 80G and kept the 99 price point. 199 or 149 for a HD accessory is just too much. All these sales numbers should show that market is very price sensitive and you really need to work on lowering the price point as fast as possible to expand your sales.

Top Bottom