• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

Barnolde

Banned
MaX_PL said:
no xbox owners will get the last laugh when none of these things come true.

anyone who thinks these numbers are accurate is a fool.

Why would Xbots laugh if none of these things came true, isn't that a bad thing? The system is in dire need of an 'upgrade', the existing 13GB HDD is a paltry affair.

All the rumors have been these exact numbers, 120GB and $480.

For $480, they should have wi-fi built in as well.

EDIT: I don't care about or follow the next-gen disc wars, but hasn't Blu-Ray been outselling HD DVD? I haven't seen anything advertised for HD DVD in a while. That'd certainly make an integrated HD DVD drive just plain stupid.

Mrbob

jetjevons said:
Is there any info on a trade-in/upgrade program for existing users? Or a way to copy data from the 20b to the 120gb?

The 20gb is still $100 so $199 sounds about right. It'd be nice to get some price scaling (ie. the 20gb goes to $49.99 and the 120 goes to $99.99) but it's not going to happen.

Suck it up h8rs. You're all going to whine and you're all going to get it.

Err, no.

The only people who will be whining is MS for dropping the ball and not burying Sony when they had the chance.

$200 for a 120GB hdd is a joke, don't spin this.

WingM@n

Well somewhere in the future, there will be a X360 with a bigger harddisk.
They made the HD an add-on, so it's pretty obvious there's going to be a bigger one.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
dropping the core and releasing a $480 sku is effectively raising the price, just when they need to drop the price.

Technically yes, but it ain't that simple. We'd need to know what the allocations and sales have been of the current SKU's.

Assuming the core has sold in the minority, and of that minority, sales of the HDD have been strong - then I can see the case for MS doing this. Basically, if the core sans HDD hasn't been attracting consumers, what's the point in keeping it around? People considering the 360 are already assuming the price is $399.

The premium being price reduced is a drop in price, plus they are offering a new deluxe package. Certainly they could price reduce the core and keep it around, but if it hasn't been selling - why offer 3 SKUs?

And I can't see how anyone can defend the value of a $480 360 with HDMI and bigger HDD. You can already stream from your media centre to 360, so why do you need 120GB? Just for MS's proprietary movies service? So you're paying more to allow you to pay more again for the movies?

Not everyone has a media center PC. IIRC, MS doesn't sell the OS separately, so you can't assume everyone has purchased a PC with that OS.

And the HDMI is irrelevant. 360 can output over VGA with upscaling of DVDs, or 1080p over component should you care much. It doesn't make any real difference to people unless you have a HDDVD drive built in

It's relevant because the vast majority of 1080p TV's do NOT support 1080p over VGA or Component.

All it does is make the core PS3 look like it isn't *that* expensive - hey, bluray player for $20 more! And makes people who constantly and annoying scream 'PS3 is too expensive' look a little silly when they're also shouting $480 360 is a bargain

I agree it is silly for the people to talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Vrolokus

Banned
If MS does release a 360 with HDMI and a bigger HD eventually, they should hold off until they can drop the existing SKUs $100, so the new SKU takes the pricing niche of the current pro bundle.

$399 = "Zephyr"
$299 = 360 w/ 20G
$199 = Core

But I'm surprised they're releasing the Zephyr anytime soon anyway, unless they have some unknown plans to ramp up their online content delivery (e.g., Xbox 1 titles for download).

Given the most recent NPD figures, you'd think MS would take the momentum they have, slash $100 off the two current SKUs and just bleed Sony for the rest of the year (generation).

Draft

Gotta agree with the trolls. I am excited to see the upgraded HDD space but obviously MS has not observed the quagmire Sony's got themselves into with their pricing.

The X360 needs a price drop, not a price increase.

I commend MS for making great videogame software. But thier hardware handlings & relations is completely fubar. Tney need to improve on how the handle hardware. PLain & Simple. I understand they arn't a hardware company but if you are the richest company in the world you better hire someone that knows wtf thier doing in this regard.

GhaleonEB

Draft said:
Gotta agree with the trolls. I am excited to see the upgraded HDD space but obviously MS has not observed the quagmire Sony's got themselves into with their pricing.

The X360 needs a price drop, not a price increase.
We may not see the full picture. Perhaps the existing SKUs are getting a drop, or new, lower-priced configurations are coming. Maybe GI is just reporting the same rumor we've heard over and over. Who knows? Until we see the full picture, there's not much to say. If ALL MS is doing is releasing this SKU, I'd call it a class-A **** up. But I doubt that is all that's up.

Peter Moore was asked at GDC what MS is going to do to reach the casual games market. He said basically that MS would make some announcements "in a month or two". If this gets announced around late April, it fits that time frame and sure doesn't address the casual market. I see it as being part of a bigger move.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
m0dus said:
because you have so much invested in the 360's success? :)

just kidding : p

Actually, yes. I just launched a Nintendo site, and am re-working my entire Xbox domain too.

Vrolokus

Banned
It's also worth pointing out that if you add the HD-DVD add-on to Game Informer's SKU, you end up being more expensive than even the $599 PS3.

(cue Persian messenger: "THIS IS MADNESS!")

I still don't believe it, though. Why April?

Raistlin

Vrolokus said:
It's also worth pointing out that if you add the HD-DVD add-on to Game Informer's SKU, you end up being more expensive than even the $599 PS3.

And if you want to be anal, add in the cost of Live.

IJoel

I actually hadn't thought of the possibility of this including an internal wireless adapter. In that case, it'd be a decent price.

This pricing is horrible even with a 120GB hard drive. The only notable additions are HDMI and black. This could mean a 20 dollar price drop for the other consoles though which would be great.

While you may "want" to see a $399 Zephyr, cheaper Premium and cheaper 120GB HDD... it doesn't necessarily mean that would be a "smart" decision just yet.

Even if the Zephyr launches at $479, it could easily drop to the $399 pricepoint in tandem with pricedrops for the Core/Premium SKUs at some point down the line. No reason whatsoever that it has to be released and sold at a loss now just to maintain some kind of twisted parity. Especially not with the Xbox360 being "Steady Eddy" in sales prior to its 2007 run of A-List banner releases.

bud

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

duk

Banned
MS should learn from Sony's example that high console prices =! sales. MS should put the final nail in the coffin already and not fcuk up the lead they have.

199 core
299 new prem: zephyr (black or white) with hdmi w/20GB hdd
120 GB hdd for 129.99

make it effin happen

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
QuickKick89 said:
From Game Informer's APRIL ISSUE:

- Coming in late April
- Expected Price: $479.99
- 120 GB HD will be sold seperately for under $200.

Hey guys, I also heard Square is making Mushroom Kingdom Hearts for the Wii! Isn't that AWESOME?!

P.S. - There will surely be an Xbox 360 revision sooner or later. This is just far too suspect, especially when a Microsoft head has an interview in another magazine dated for THE MONTH OF APRIL that says there's no such thing.

Onix said:
Not everyone has a media center PC. IIRC, MS doesn't sell the OS separately, so you can't assume everyone has purchased a PC with that OS.

Except that you don't need Media Center anymore to stream everything. In fact, ever since Windows Media PLayer 11 launched and the fall update came out, I haven't used the Media Center extender once.

It's relevant because the vast majority of 1080p TV's do NOT support 1080p over VGA or Component.

Component no. But correct me if I am wrong but any 1080p TV that has a VGA port on it, which is quite a few actually, can support that resolution.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Bad move by MS to raise the price. Do you think the average consumer is gonna know or care about the extras? I bet you no less than 95% of 360 owners don't even know what HDMI is. Sony already tried the "add in extras and charge more" thing with the PSP and it didn't work out, why would it work with the 360?

Raistlin

StingerNLG said:
Except that you don't need Media Center anymore to stream everything. In fact, ever since Windows Media PLayer 11 launched and the fall update came out, I haven't used the Media Center extender once.

That's good to know. Regardless, not everyone wants to use a network ... I would think some people would like a larger HDD.

Component no. But correct me if I am wrong but any 1080p TV that has a VGA port on it, which is quite a few actually, can support that resolution.

Yeah, you're wrong :p

There's no proof of this except what some guy said in the first post? It may be true but I'd like something a bit more solid to go on.

Raistlin

Zepking said:
Care to bet a ban on it?

If you're an MS employee or some other sort of insider ...

... I'm not impressed you're betting bans with people unaware of this fact.

Lamer.

squicken

zepking is some sort of something with a game retailer (and a Wiifan). He's probably right.

Stoopid stoopid move MS. I actually wish they'd sell the system with no HDD. I just want HDMI scaling to 1080p and black casing.

duk

Banned
squicken said:
zepking is some sort of something with a game retailer (and a Wiifan). He's probably right.

Stoopid stoopid move MS. I actually wish they'd sell the system with no HDD. I just want HDMI scaling to 1080p and black casing.

Even if he is an insider sort of person, he sounds like a jerk

Vrolokus

Banned
Zepking said:
Care to bet a ban on it?

: l

What Internet do you normally go to where an anonymous stranger posting something like "This is true, just trust me on it" is proof enough?

I never said you do or don't have info, I'm :lol ing at your apparent surprise that people aren't saying "OMG CONFIRMED BY ZEPKING!"

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i really don't get this to be quite honest.

I appreciate that some people would want the 3rd SKU, but this - to me - is sending the wrong message at the wrong time.

The X360's big feather in it's cap is that it's under the PS3's price by a considerable margin.

Now - introducing a 3rd SKU that edges nearer to the PS3 - i feel that's going to confuse potential buyers and it's going to throw sony a PR bone.

Unless there is something about the new SKU that hasn't yet been revealed, or if the price is off, or if there is a price slash on the core/premium - then that would make this more understandable - but it's still a risky move.

And looking at the timing of the potential announcement, i'm guessing that over the next week or so , we are going to see MS roll out some PS3 Euro spoiler news - i just wonder if this part of a wider campaign coming?

But yeah... need more details , because in terms of the 'big ol' fight' with Sony - i'm not sure this is the right more to be honest.

Vrolokus said:
: l

What Internet do you normally go to where an anonymous stranger posting something like "This is true, just trust me on it" is proof enough?

I never said you do or don't have info, I'm :lol ing at your apparent surprise that people aren't saying "OMG CONFIRMED BY ZEPKING!"
Well i'm just amazed at how others who actually have the GI infront of them who are also confirming it and how everyone is ignoring them.

Whenever an April Fools thing comes from Game Informer they tend to stick it in the Game Infarcer sections every year, someone already mentioned it wasnt in that section... Not to mention lots of stores have the issue sitting on the racks right now.

LJ11

IIRC Zepking is a higher up at EB/Gamestop.

Send me all ******** and ** ***** Hatemail

Send me all Gamestop and EB Games Hatemail.

dyls

Vrolokus said:
:lol at you for thinking we should all just trust you on this one.

Maybe you could fill us in.

If you can decipher his tag, all will become clear.

Seriously, Zepking's confirmation is good enough for me, and I can only imagine MS will drop the core model, and lower the premium model to $379.99 to keep a hundred dollar difference between the two systems.

Zephyr: $479.99 (HDMI, built-in wifi, 120 GB HDD)
Premium:$379.99

mark it, dude.

The problem with this is that suddenly the premium model looks like the one to avoid. If the core model hasn't sold well because of consumer perception, won't the premium take its place as the undesirable model? Leaving people with a $500 (after tax) piece of gaming machinery... just what everyone's been clamoring for.

Nintendo might take this thing faster than anyone could predict.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Zepking said:
Well i'm just amazed at how others who actually have the GI infront of them who are also confirming it and how everyone is ignoring them.

Whenever an April Fools thing comes from Game Informer they tend to stick it in the Game Infarcer sections every year, someone already mentioned it wasnt in that section... Not to mention lots of stores have the issue sitting on the racks right now.

I will be looking @ this copy tonight!

but in overall my day was going crappy due to work and this thread has made me :lol :lol :lol Thank you GAF thank you.

Top Bottom