• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow, overreactions ahoy.

Can't believe people are saying this is a bad thing. You're wrong.

Consumers aren't THAT ****ING STUPID. A higher priced black Xbox with a bigger HD is what slightly dumb people will see it as, if they don't know anything about HDMI.

It will be blatantly marketed as such and people who don't want to pay that much.. will still get the $400 model.

And they could easily just dump core all together. And we'll probably STILL see the premium get a price drop this year, obviously. A price drop for the premium actually makes more sense now, if MS charges $200 for the HD by itself. Otherwise, you'd be paying $80 more than the premium for 100 more GB and HDMI, and the HD by itself is $200?

I think this is a sign that the premium will be dropping. Probably (hopefully) on the same day.

$480 is a great price, btw, for the new system with HDMI and friggin' 120 GB. Especially when compared to the competition. That's $20 less than the least expensive PS3 and the most expensive one has HDMI and 60 GB.

It really will look like a good deal to the average consumer who just looks at the ads for it and sees the quick specs.

Hell, I'll trade mine in for it. a) Better color, b) I ****ing HATE HATE HATE having only $20 GB, and c) HDMI. Sounds good to me. Though I'm sure not everyone will care.

Big-E

If this is in fact an April Fouls Joke then I hope Game Informer got their laughs in now because I think MS is not going to be happy if this is false.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
It says less than 200. For all we know that could be $136.38.

I remember the less than 300 for the hd-dvd drive rumors, and ended up being 200.
Better not to overreact until we hear the actual pricing.

shit who am I kidding....
elainelol2.gif

Borys

Banned
m0dus said:
Also, I find it somewhat unnerving that while we have trouble with wave after wave of trolls ruining 360 and PS3 threads, we're never left long to want for a "BOHICA" thread title change.

BOHICA! MICRORAPEMENTS!

Microsoft invented them for the 360 that's why they pay now and will pay in every thread title in the future when they'll try to **** consumers up the ass.

Or so I think, I'm not the mod, I'm not naming those threads :p

-Rogue5-

Dina said:
But it now has twice the harddrive capacity for 120 less. Still, it's a shame that MS didn't include the HD-DVD drive in this version.

That's for the next revision... remember, the 360 has to last until 2012.

yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Redbeard

Banned
Isn't this the sort of thing announced at a press conference or something many months ahead of time, and not through Game Informer only a month away?

Raistlin

sublime085 said:
Which would essentially mean nothing as a bullet point to the average consumer.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. MS is still losing money on the system to my knowledge ... I don't they want to add to that. I'm simply stating what the cost accounts for, regardless of its perceived value to customers.

And i don't see how they could possibly omit HDMI HD-DVD at 1080p, it would be absolutely stupid. even if it wasn't enabled at it's launch there would be a software patch soon after I'm sure

I agree. They should bring out a black one though :p

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
omg rite said:
$480 is a great price, btw, for the new system with HDMI and friggin' 120 GB. Especially when compared to the competition. That's $20 less than the least expensive PS3 and the most expensive one has HDMI and 60 GB and wireless network adapter and blu ray player.

It really will look like a good deal to the average consumer who just looks at the ads for it and sees the quick specs.

Hell, I'll trade mine in for it. a) Better color, b) I ****ing HATE HATE HATE having only $20 GB, and c) HDMI. Sounds good to me. Though I'm sure not everyone will care.

FIXED

if this is true, how is it dumb that you'd get an extra 80 gigs and HDMI for only $80? i think most of you aren't understanding the pricing. Premium to drop to $349-$379 and stand alone 20gig hd to $49-$79 down from $99? hmmmmmm.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Branduil said:
MS needs to be eliminating SKUs and lowering the price, not the other way around.

WTF.

People, you're INSANE if you think this means they won't be lowering the premium price.

Again, it's $80 more than the current price for 100 more gigs and HDMI, and the HD on its own will be $200.

Think about it.

MaX_PL

Banned
Core407 said:
$480?! HAHAHA PS3 owners get the last laugh once again.

no xbox owners will get the last laugh when none of these things come true.

anyone who thinks these numbers are accurate is a fool.

Haunted

Well making Zephyr the third SKU is what I expected. They don't need to replace one of the existing SKUs at all. BUT, setting the price at 479€ would be a tremendous mistake, because at that price-point, I don't see a significant drop (100€) for the other SKUs at all. :(

I hope this is April Fool's so MS's real announcement is more favourable to price-conscious guys like me.
Premium <300€ or no sale

Raistlin

omg rite said:
$480 is a great price, btw, for the new system with HDMI and friggin' 120 GB. Especially when compared to the competition. That's $20 less than the least expensive PS3 and the most expensive one has HDMI and 60 GB.

The least expensive has HDMI and an HDD too.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
m0dus said:
Also, I find it somewhat unnerving that while we have trouble with wave after wave of trolls ruining 360 and PS3 threads, we're never left long to want for a "BOHICA" thread title change.
sometimes you just wanna kick back and watch things burn, y'know?

Onix said:
The least expensive has HDMI and an HDD too.

and still costs more... its great how so many of the people saying this is too much are the same people trying to say the ps3 isnt too much :lol

classic GAF

KTallguy

Banned
Captain N said:
I wouldn't mind paying 500 if it came with an HD-DvD drive built in.

HD-DVD is losing marketshare to Blu-Ray every month.

meltpotato said:
and still costs more... its great how so many of the people saying this is too much are the same people trying to say the ps3 isnt too much :lol

Three Words: Blu, Ray, Player.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The more I think about this, the more it seems fake to me. Such a big information and a 2 page spread would warrant a note on the cover of the magazine.

Ace 8095

This is one of the greatest April Fools jokes in years. People on here still think it's real. You’d think this is Teamxbox.

Raistlin

Assuming they have moved to 65nm, I expect that the Premium will drop to $350 - $379 ... and the core will be phased out.

The question is, will they drop the price of the core as well ... or wait until the current core stock is gone before dropping the price of the premium?

From what I saw of the issue (Just came into my local Gamestop today), it's legit. It wasn't in the Game Infarcer section (their usual April Fool's content). They seemed pretty clear of what their talking about.

I didn't think of taking a picture, and chances are I'm not supposed to. Just go to your local GS/EB. They have the issues in.

Well, the HDDless 360 is 300 this new one is 479, so that suggests ~180 dollar HDD... minus say 20-30 for various additions/changes like HDMI, and I'd guess that the 120GB will retail for about 150 USD. About 30 USD over the most expensive 120GB HDD on newegg or nearly double the cheapest. Also, seems in league with the rest of MS's pricing scheme considering the 100 USD 20GB HDD and the way they scaled the prices for the MC.

Wolffen

If the new HDD is $199.99, MS has to be clearing $100 profit on each one (depending on how much they sell it to retailers. Maybe closer to $75). Assuming they stuck with Seagate for the manufacturing, this drive is most likely the brother of the new 360 drive. I guarantee even with the special drive caddy, MS is getting those drives for less than $100, unless Seagate has them by the nuts.

Remember, the "HD" in "HD Era" stands for "High Dollar".

Btw, if anyone is getting the new HDD and wants to move their saves and such over, you'll need an Xport from Datel/CodeJunkies.com. (I've got one and it was a life saver for moving my gamesaves and DLC and such over from my dying 360 drive to my new one. Plus, it comes with a Xbox->360 memory card adapter for use with the Xport (doesn't work directly on the 360 unfortunately, but if you've got a USB thumb drive and the PSO USB keyboard adapter for the OG Xbox, you can move game saves from your original XBox to the 360 this way).

Raistlin

meltpotato said:

classic GAF

I'm not saying it's too much, especially if it comes with the 120GB HDD. If it is 65nm, and some testing shows it's reliable - and that the new scaler performs as well as the analog one - I'll probably end up getting one.

The point of my reply was simply to correct the implication in your post that the $499 PS3 does not have HDMI. I'm not trying to start a feature war - if that is what you're after, then you should list all features of both consoles (which you seem to be arbitrarily failing to list when it comes to PS3).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onix said:
Assuming they have moved to 65nm, I expect that the Premium will drop to $350 - $379 ... and the core will be phased out.

The question is, will they drop the price of the core as well ... or wait until the current core stock is gone before dropping the price of the premium?

dropping the core and releasing a $480 sku is effectively raising the price, just when they need to drop the price.

And I can't see how anyone can defend the value of a $480 360 with HDMI and bigger HDD. You can already stream from your media centre to 360, so why do you need 120GB? Just for MS's proprietary movies service? So you're paying more to allow you to pay more again for the movies?

And the HDMI is irrelevant. 360 can output over VGA with upscaling of DVDs, or 1080p over component should you care much. It doesn't make any real difference to people unless you have a HDDVD drive built in

All it does is make the core PS3 look like it isn't *that* expensive - hey, bluray player for $20 more! And makes people who constantly and annoying scream 'PS3 is too expensive' look a little silly when they're also shouting $480 360 is a bargain

Onix said:
I'm not saying it's too much, especially if it comes with the 120GB HDD. If it is 65nm, and some testing shows it's reliable - and that the new scaler performs as well as the analog one - I'll probably end up getting one.

yeah. Stupid thing is, if they do move to a smaller, cooler chipset I'd likely get one as my 360 is out of warranty and sounds like a jet plane. I'd just move my old one upstairs to my VGA monitor. Although I'd prefer a cheaper component only model if they all move to 65nm

IJoel

I don't see any doom/gloom deal with this, but geez, MS seems to want to screw people as much as they can with their pricing.

- Priced the H3 LE to $130, and not including the OST
- 1+ Year old console with no price drop; 20GB HDD still at $100

I hope this is indeed that magazine's April's Fools 'joke'.

Rody

April Fool's indeed.

Though I'd buy it if it had the 120GB HDD included and the overheating issues fixed.

Onix said:

The point of my reply was simply to correct the implication in your post that the $499 PS3 does not have HDMI. I'm not trying to start a feature war - if that is what you're after, then you should list all features of both consoles (which you seem to be arbitrarily failing to list when it comes to PS3).

fair enough. i wasnt really trying to single you out dude. just found it ironic that there is a thread trying to justify 600$ as not too much for a PS3 and this thread blowing up about it being too much at roughly the same time. for what its worth, it would be a cold day in hell when you saw me pay 500$ for a 360. I only paid 200$ for my premium.

I'll probably grab an HDD upgrade in a year when i may actually need one and sell off my 20gig to some poor sucker who bought a core.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
m0dus said:
Er, could you please, point me to one of these elusive $500 PS3's that come with wireless, cause I think I might have been ripped off.

I would but he made the fact to the most expensive PS3 ($600) which has those features :D

QuickKick89 said:
From Game Informer:

- Coming in late April
- Expected Price: $479.99
- 120 GB HD will be sold seperately for under $200.

$199.99

Bullshit Microsoft. Haven't they learned anything from what is going on with Sony right now. Gamers are not going to pay that much for a hard drive that should be much less.

Top Bottom