• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

Alucrid

Banned
Those "boycott" comments are kinda funny, especially when they are from ND fanboys or every other developers around there, do you guys thing there aren't white supremacist, nazis, sexist or racists among the employee of your favorite developers? No, they are, even if they don't said it publicly a small amount of people with these ideas are in the gaming industry, just like every other media.

so what point are you trying to make?

Wereroku

The article points out multiple times that Soret's current statements don't match up perfectly with past record. It's a good piece of writing and you shouldn't just take the first opportunity to dismiss it.

I am not dismissing it but I don't believe the writer should have done it with such a conflict. It should have been given to another writer. However I am guessing the only reason that interview was done was because of that relationship. The writer going back and looking into inconsistencies is good though.

Those "boycott" comments are kinda funny, especially when they are from ND fanboys or every other developers around there, do you guys thing there aren't white supremacist, nazis, sexist or racists among the employee of your favorite developers? No, they are, even if they don't said it publicly a small amount of people with these ideas are in the gaming industry, just like every other media.

Yes but those single devs aren't making entire games promoting those agendas unlike this situation.

People already do that too. The whole concept being problematic isn't my point, its that its prevalent all over the place from both common labor jobs to more white collar work.

Yeah but I don't think the concept of people losing all meaning in life just because they don't have jobs is something that would actually happen. If I was financially stable without the need to work I would find more meaning in life.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
In the absence of work wouldn't people just define themselves by their hobbies or interests? The whole concept that you have to work to have meaning is kind of a shit idea.

People already do that too. The whole concept being problematic isn't my point, its that its prevalent all over the place from both common labor jobs to more white collar work.

I just don't see why people are yelling hypocrisy on people being against this game though. It's not just a matter of the writer and producer having horrible viewpoints. Those viewpoints are also foundations for the game.

Calling out this game for the maker's views, considering he literally incorporated them in the game, is right, so is boycotting over this. Mine was a simple thought over people - including myself, mind you.

Zaru

In the absence of work wouldn't people just define themselves by their hobbies or interests? The whole concept that you have to work to have meaning is kind of a shit idea.

A shit idea can still be a pervasive and prevalent one, as you might know. A near-future dystopia could result from the transition period where most people haven't gotten over the change yet.

Great video by IGN.

Can’t wait to play it.

Even if all the posts saying that they won’t buy it really won’t buy it, is a tiny minuscule percentage of the gaming population so I hope indie games with great potential like this doesn’t bomb just for politics.

Also, If those elements were in the game years ago doesn’t mean that they are still there 🤷

Stygr

Banned
Great video by IGN.

Can't wait to play it.

Even if all the posts saying that they won't buy it really won't buy it, is a tiny minuscule percentage of the gaming population so I hope indie games with great potential like this doesn't bomb just for politics.

This is the best post here.

Stygr

Banned
So we should "boycott" everything because of here's a chance? Rather than "boycott" when we're made aware of the indiscretions?

Or just wait and see if the game deserves to be boycotted instead of shouting months after launch?
The game looks promising, so promising with a good concept, but the hate i see here is unjustified from my point of view.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So we should "boycott" everything because of here's a chance? Rather than "boycott" when we're made aware of the indiscretions?

No, what that says is we shouldn't boycott anything ever and ignore everything about a product and the people who made it just because somebody else might be an asshole and we don't know it yet.

Wanna go watch the new Weinstein movie starring Bill Cosby? No? Hey maybe an actor you like is secretly also an asshole, so why not!? You aren't a hypocrite are you, right?

Stygr

Banned
what are these other gaming forums that you visit?

I mostly use Reddit (r/games r/pcgaming) and NeoGAF.
A lot of times, on YouTube, FB, Twitter, and in a lot of comment sections in various gaming outlets are full of people shitting on NeoGAF. I'm new here, like 3-4 months, did something happened here that i'm not aware of?

Great video by IGN.

Can’t wait to play it.

Even if all the posts saying that they won’t buy it really won’t buy it, is a tiny minuscule percentage of the gaming population so I hope indie games with great potential like this doesn’t bomb just for politics.

Agreed.

I love games like Flashback and Out Of this World. And let's not forget Blade Runner.

Kusagari

Or just wait and see if the game deserves to be boycotted instead of shouting months after launch?
The game looks promising, so promising with a good concept, but the hate i see here is unjustified from my point of view.

The concept of the game is literally how terrible a world where "feminism has won" would be.

If that's a good concept to you, it basically says all that needs to be said about you as a person.

Wereroku

OK how about this then. There are many other games that could use the positive coverage so why is it going to a dude that supports the ideals of a hate group. That is my opinion I am not wishing on a star for this game to crash and burn I would just like to see other games given coverage instead.

Wait and see what? That the developers is a gamergater? Proven and publicly visible.

That the developer has said it's a "dystopia where feminism won"? Proven and publicly visible.

I'll "boycott" it if I want, you do you.

As an aside, it's not a boycott, you can't boycott something you have no previous relations with. I have more relations with this developer therefore I am not boycotting anything. Just not buying a game, like I don't buy a lot of games.

Stygr

Banned
The concept of the game is literally how terrible a world where "feminism has won" would be.

If that's a good concept to you, it basically says all that needs to be said about you as a person.

What? I'm not talking about the plot, i was obviously talking about the visual concept.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Are people really surprised?

The gaming industry was overwhelmingly silent on Gamergate when it popped up and never took a clear stand against it. Why would they start now?

DrunkDan

what are these other gaming forums that you visit?

He’s not wrong tho. Pretty much everywhere else on the net they view Gaf as being in its own little self important bubble. And in fairness there’s a degree of truth in that. A lot of posters here think the site is way more influential than it actually is. A lot of issues on here aren’t common knowledge to those who aren’t enthusiasts.

cackhyena

So it's "most people" problem, not mine, do you use concept to descrive a plot?

Yes?

con·cept
ˈkänˌsept/Submit
noun
an abstract idea; a general notion.
"structuralism is a difficult concept"
synonyms: idea, notion, conception, abstraction; More
a plan or intention; a conception.
"the center has kept firmly to its original concept"

It is your problem, not most people's.

Stygr

Banned
Yes?

con·cept
ˈkänˌsept/Submit
noun
an abstract idea; a general notion.
"structuralism is a difficult concept"
synonyms: idea, notion, conception, abstraction; More
a plan or intention; a conception.
"the center has kept firmly to its original concept"

It is your problem, not most people's.

Concept is also, "project" or "prototype" if you mind.

Alucrid

Banned
He’s not wrong tho. Pretty much everywhere else on the net they view Gaf as being in its own little self important bubble. And in fairness there’s a degree of truth in that. A lot of posters here think the site is way more influential than it actually is. A lot of issues on here aren’t common knowledge to those who aren’t enthusiasts.

ok?

Pineconn

I hope this doesn’t come across as snarky, but it must be nice to have the luxury of being able to boycott a few games made by people with conflicting political views. As a mild conservative, if I did that, I’d... have to find a new hobby, lol.

Play games, have fun. Life is short.

Shredderi

Man the game looks beyond pretty visually. Pretty stoked for it. I've been clamoring for a game that did pretty much what this does visually.

I hope this doesn’t come across as snarky, but it must be nice to have the luxury of being able to boycott a few games made by people with conflicting political views. As a mild conservative, if I did that, I’d... have to find a new hobby, lol.

Luxury? Not buying games isn't a luxury. Buying games is a luxury.

No point, it's just hypocrisy, that's all.
No wonder why all around the gaming forums, a lot of people shit on NeoGAF.
Ah, yes, YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, and gaming site comment sections...the bastions of sensible insights

What? I'm not talking about the plot, i was obviously talking about the visual concept.
And people criticizing the game are talking about the entire package. This is a story-driven, choice-heavy cinematic platformer/adventure, where narrative and interactions will be a core integral part of the game. We know the foundational concept for the world-building and story; we know the kind of views the lead creator and designer holds before and after the reveal; and we know that due to the nature of indie game development, the creator’s values are often far more ingrained and present within the design and vision of their work than AAA games.

We can only go by the developer’s words and thus we know that the game is built upon a foundation of alt-right/GG ideals and that he wanted to have Vivian James in his game as a character

A lot of times, on YouTube, FB, Twitter, and in a lot of comment sections in various gaming outlets are full of people shitting on NeoGAF. I'm new here, like 3-4 months, did something happened here that i'm not aware of?
OH NO! How can we ever go on living without the approval of people from Reddit, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, AND other gaming outlets!

cackhyena

Concept is also, "project" or "prototype" if you mind.

Sigh. The point is, it generally means the idea of a thing. The ideas for this thing, in particular, are shitty. It's not about a dev on the team having shitty ideas but still working on a benign game. That happens al the time and people have to accept that. It's the driving force of the game you want to buy because it looks good. If you can just admit that to yourself, you can move on. Accept that it's bad ideas wrapped in spectacular visuals.

Fantastapotamus

Good on you for being able to not care about anything. I wish I had that luxury.

Kusagari

There's groups that have entire hate forums designated to shitting on GAF, so they're the ones who seem to be throwing unwarranted importance on this forum. They're the ones who can't get the forums name out of their mouths.

BBboy20

Militarized harassment is bad, folks. That's what GamerGate is. That is what the devs believe in. That is what this game will most likely wants to spread.

If for you concept means plot, you don't know what a concept means, at all.
Concept is the general idea of something. That includes ideas about the plot. Why are you arguing this? You used the wrong word. Live with it.

They got banned.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member

Gamergate isn't a 'conflicting political view', it's a harassment campaign targeting women and minorities.

Stygr

Banned
Ah, yes, YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, and gaming site comment sections...the bastions of sensible insights

Even NeoGaf can't be described as a bastions of sensibile insights. I can't understand this sort of "elitarism", i may be new to NeoGAF or am i missing something? I see shitposting here, just like on Reddit or Twitter, so what's the difference?
(I'm serious about this question, i just want to understand)

Alucrid

Banned

yes, supporting gamergate is a "political view" on par with whatever "mild conservative" is

BiggNife

Great video by IGN.

Can’t wait to play it.

Also, If those elements were in the game years ago doesn’t mean that they are still there 🤷

When the politics are intrinsically tied to the game itself, it's not really a negligible thing. There are a bunch of cyberpunk games that don't have this kind of baggage — Observer, Va11-Ha11a, Ruiner, etc. You can support more cyberpunk in games without having to buy a game from a shitty dude.

And yeah, in response to the bolded, I keep seeing this argument constantly but why should we assume things have changed if the creator is still liking anti-feminist shit on twitter?

hotcyder

Are people really surprised?

The gaming industry was overwhelmingly silent on Gamergate when it popped up and never took a clear stand against it. Why would they start now?

The game industry won't fight GamerGate because it affects the bottom-line - the same people who harassed women and sent death threats to developers are the same who pray at the altars of publishers, even when they get angry when their favourite franchises become more diverse.

kevin1025

Banned
I didn't said that.

But you tried to equate the situation to what has happened to Naughty Dog the past few days. Naughty Dog never made misogyny the main crux of any of their games, like this one is going to be. If you’re fine with this game having that, and don’t think that’s an issue, I honestly don’t know what to tell you. If being against something with a gross agenda is being on a high horse, this is a weird world we are living in.

Like many have said, this isn't just a matter of a terrible person (in this particular case, a proven White Supremacist) being involved in the production of a game. That will probably always happen, because there are many people with awful world views. Is it OK? Of course it's not, no one would disagree with that.

In this particular case, we're talking about the game itself being based on this toxic notion that a world with empowered women is a dystopia. That's the concept of this whole thing. Pretty graphics and art are NOT a concept, they amount to little more than the decoration of a cake. In this case, the cake itself is made of shitty world views. It's a cake of shit with a beautiful decoration. It will still taste like shit. And this isn't me guessing - those ideas are well-documented, as many have pointed out.

If you don't understand this, it's useless to further engage in a conversation.

Fantastapotamus

Even NeoGaf can't be described as a bastions of sensibile insights. I can't understand this sort of "elitarism", i may be new to NeoGAF or am i missing something? I see shitposting here, just like on Reddit or Twitter, so what's the difference?
(I'm serious about this question, i just want to understand)

NeoGaf is a big, probably among the biggest gaming focused forums (Probably after reddit, I don't know). It's also not that easy to get an account here and people get banned for saying dumb shit. So obviously you see shit posting about Neogaf. It's popular and somewhat known. You wouldn't post about "WhichPS4gamesarethebest dot com" cause nobody cares. Also NeoGaf is left-leaning and went hard against GamerGate and similar MRA/Alt-right shit.

So you have a well known, kinda political and somewhat "exclusive" place which attracts a lot of ire. Probably not all of it undeserved, though I wouldn't care too much on Youtube comments. It's also worth mentioning that all the places you mentioned have little moderation if any at all. And there you have it. That's why you see shittalking about Neogaf.

Top Bottom