• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Gonna have to go against the grain here and say not impressed by the new intro. Feels too much like LARP'ing on the weekends to me.

U had me at liam obrien op
Will watch this once my home net is fixed
Subscribing for now

Good luck. You've got over 150hrs of video to get through

Liam is great on it. You can tell he is the most into it.

Considering he's the reason they began playing in the first place, not so shocking.

I'd say that Ashley, Travis, and Sam are mostly into having fun with it, while Laura, Liam, and Tallesin all can really get into their characters. Liam puts the most effort into disappearing into character all the time but Laura and Tallesin go in depth when the interactions require it. Laura really gets into negotiating and intimidating and anything to do with protecting her brother. Tallesin is more reserved but when they were dealing with his storyline he was in it deep and was actually agonizing out of character.

Marisha is the hardest one to pin down but I think that's because her actual peronality and her characters personality overlap in some places and I think she's the least experienced actor in the group. She puts a lot of effort into getting into character when it's required though.

Pilgrimzero

Scanlans is the best character.

Pike leaves the group for a bit. Scanlans says: "I'll wait for you. Emotionally, not physically."

Gonna have to go against the grain here and say not impressed by the new intro. Feels too much like LARP'ing on the weekends to me.\

I like it a lot. Especially the druid magic with the leaves coming up and down. It took me a long time to figure out what is scrubbing forward and what is in reverse, and where they got in and out. Very clever editing there.

The only thing I would have done differently if I had shot it, is use more forced perspective effects to make Grog seem much bigger, and the gnomes much smaller. But that's a very technical thing to do as a practical effect, and would have required renting some very expensive lenses that probably weren't in the limited budget. I probably would have also had Percy shooting real black powder blanks, but that's because I live in Texas, and actually know somebody with access to a working pepperbox pistol.

I think they did great with what they had to work with. Really cool how much they leveraged the talents of the community too.

Calcium

Banned
Gonna have to go against the grain here and say not impressed by the new intro. Feels too much like LARP'ing on the weekends to me.

I actually agree with you. I don't dislike the new intro, but I honestly prefer the older one.

I have taken to listening to the show at work just so I can keep going at a steady pace. It's pretty damn handy for making time fly by. I think I'm around episode 41 now. It's horrible to say, but at some point I'd really like to see a TPK. I'd just be curious to see what else they would roll and how Mercer handles it.

I actually agree with you. I don't dislike the new intro, but I honestly prefer the older one.

I have taken to listening to the show at work just so I can keep going at a steady pace. It's pretty damn handy for making time fly by. I think I'm around episode 41 now. It's horrible to say, but at some point I'd really like to see a TPK. I'd just be curious to see what else they would roll and how Mercer handles it.

It could lead to an epic interplanar adventure where vox machina gets revived by various deities

She also uses a Critical Role mug on the show sometimes.

CSVQj5QUkAAgkjo.png

I always love Sam's confusion at how to use swords.

I also would have loved to see Grog have Craven Edge for the fight. Too bad Travis remembered he had disadvantage.

In case anyone is interested Matt & Marisha periscoped some more critmas unboxing yesterday. Someone youtubed it though (Critical Scope) and Matt retweeted it. Someone sent Ashley a homemade oil painting of Pike

Szeth

That was incredible. So many nat 20's on both ends. Was outta my chair pacing multiple times throughout.

(E52 Spoiler) Via Reddit via Matt on Periscope:

Titanstone Knuckles

-Gives the wielder 24 STR
-Ability to cast Enlarge on self once per day
-Deals double damage against objects and structures

Holy crap.
Imagine Grog's grapple checks with these with that +7 strength modifier and the enlarge on giving him even more of a size advantage modifier...

EDIT: Periscope is here, apparently. Haven't watched yet, but I'm dropping the link:

https://youtu.be/rANzZvfACfw

Calcium

Banned
Finally got a few more episodes watched this weekend, I hope to be caught up with this show some time this week. Just finished the episode with Chris Hardwick. I found it entertaining, but unlike other guest appearances this one just felt like a waste of an episode. Chris was trying way too hard to be entertaining and threw everything off for me. The levity was certainly appreciated after
Vex almost dying and all the drama from that
, but it was a little too much.

Vex stealing his broom
was perfect. Her face lit up when she first saw it and I could just tell she was somehow going to get her hands on it. Sam made a joke about her doing as much and I just smiled.

Finally got a few more episodes watched this weekend, I hope to be caught up with this show some time this week. Just finished the episode with Chris Hardwick. I found it entertaining, but unlike other guest appearances this one just felt like a waste of an episode. Chris was trying way too hard to be entertaining and threw everything off for me. The levity was certainly appreciated after

Wow. You're jamming through the episodes.

Vex stealing his broom
was perfect. Her face lit up when she first saw it and I could just tell she was somehow going to get her hands on it. Sam made a joke about her doing as much and I just smiled.

Vex has NO POKER FACE.

btJiwpG.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Was not aware Phil LaMarr table tops.

A bunch of actors probably do. I know (or at least think) Vin Diesel who is hugely into it tries to push some actors into it. It also helps with "acting"/getting into character in a way.

Vex stealing his broom

Yup. As already stated both here and other where, a lot of people didn't like Hardwick. Felt like he was just there to mug to the camera. Hope they never invite him back. The best guests so far have been Friedle and Mary E. McGlynn.

Vex has NO POKER FACE.

btJiwpG.gif

More like Laura has no poker face. Any time something big happens, she gets expressive as can be (but we lover her for it).

A bunch of actors probably do. I know (or at least think) Vin Diesel who is hugely into it tries to push some actors into it. It also helps with "acting"/getting into character in a way.

Check out the D&Diesel game from back in October.

Felicia and Wil are great as well. Felicia's character is great and Wil is hilarious for the dice rolls alone. I felt like Freidle was better the second time around. More comfortable.

Calcium

Banned

Listening at work helps. I miss out on seeing some stuff happen, but I get through the story faster. I'd probably still be in the 30s if I only watched.

More like Laura has no poker face. Any time something big happens, she gets expressive as can be (but we lover her for it).

Laura is probably my favorite cast member to watch. She just adds so much to her character with her facial expressions.

Sylas

A friend pushed me to watch this and good god I love it. Matt as a DM has given me a ton of ideas for my own game and my players seem to really dig the style I've started to pick up thanks to him.

I do have a feeling their "plan" is going to bite them in the ass really, really hard. All the allies in the world won't help if hitting the damn thing is going to be difficult.

Otherwise a really good, and necessary, episode after last week's uh... Well, kill box. An aptly named episode.

Top Bottom