• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Calcium

Banned
It went quite well live, but I still vastly prefer the chill coziness of the regular setup.

For sure. I still need to get around to watching the recording so I can catch that bit when the stream went down. Just haven't gotten around to it.

For sure. I still need to get around to watching the recording so I can catch that bit when the stream went down. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Not in the recording either. Seems their systems decided to put an upgrade to Windows 10 on at that time which caused the recording to stop. Don't worry, they edited the missing time out.

Calcium

Banned
Not in the recording either. Seems their systems decided to put an upgrade to Windows 10 on at that time which caused the recording to stop. Don't worry, they edited the missing time out.

Wow, that is amazing. Probably should have expected that.

Maximo

Probably wanted to test the waters at a smaller venue.

It went quite well live, but I still vastly prefer the chill coziness of the regular setup.

Love my immersion being broken everytime a character makes a small joke and the audience bursts into laughter, didn't like the live episode wish they did a one off and not tarnish the main adventure.

Love my immersion being broken everytime a character makes a small joke and the audience bursts into laughter, didn't like the live episode wish they did a one off and not tarnish the main adventure.

What? How does it "ruin your immersion"? You're not there playing with them. You're an audience member same as the rest of us. When Sam makes a joke which makes the whole cast bust a gut, does that ruin your immersion too?

I've seen this alot since the episode aired and it strikes me as silly. It's like some fans have this delusion that the cast are their friends so anything that changes that breaks that fantasy.

Maximo

What? How does it "ruin your immersion"? You're not there playing with them. You're an audience member same as the rest of us. When Sam makes a joke which makes the whole cast bust a gut, does that ruin your immersion too?

I've seen this alot since the episode aired and it strikes me as silly. It's like some fans have this delusion that the cast are their friends so anything that changes that breaks that fantasy.

Hahaha no I don't consider them a friend college a chum mate or any other *friendly* word you seem to pin on me, they are actors and play a DnD game for entertainment, it seems like your more emotionally invested in them since you jumped to conclusions and told me how I felt about the cast.

Part of that entertainment is yes them occasionally breaking characters for some hilarious moments between them, I just don't personally enjoy a moment when Vex and Vax are taking cheeky jabs at their farther followed by outside laughter from the auidence. Plus at least it appeared to me they were acting slightly different then they would be just by themselves, anyone would be doing it live.
Nothing wrong with doing a live DnD game I just don't particularly want it to be about their main adventure, im sure I would also be caught up in the hype in the moment If I was there laughing and cheering, but it doesn't change the fact that the live episode was fundamentally different and it changed the flow of game itself.

I didn't hate the episode I don't hate the live setting, I just personally didn't enjoy it being Incorporated into their main story especially a episode I at least consider crucial in the overall story. Happy to have a friendly argument about it but please don't assume my feelings towards the cast.

Hahaha no I don't consider them a friend college a chum mate or any other *friendly* word you seem to pin on me, they are actors and play a DnD game for entertainment, it seems like your more emotionally invested in them since you jumped to conclusions and told me how I felt about the cast.

Part of that entertainment is yes them occasionally breaking characters for some hilarious moments between them, I just don't personally enjoy a moment when Vex and Vax are taking cheeky jabs at their farther followed by outside laughter from the group. Plus at least it appeared to me they were acting slightly different then they would be just by themselves, anyone would be doing it live.
Nothing wrong with doing a live DnD game I just don't particularly want it to be about their main adventure, im sure I would also be caught up in the hype in the moment If I was there laughing and cheering, but it doesn't change the fact that the live episode was fundamentally different and it changed the flow of game itself.

I didn't hate the episode I don't hate the live setting, I just personally didn't enjoy it being Incorporated into their main story especially a episode I at least consider crucial in the overall story. Happy to have a friendly argument about it but please don't assume my feelings towards the cast.

How where they playing them differently though? I saw no difference in the way Sam played Scanlan or Travis played Grog etc.. in a regular ep compared to this besides the fact that you could now here people laughing along or oohing and aahing at appropriate times. I mean we had a whole section of tense emotion when Vax & Vex confronted their father. I just think the whole "immersion' thing is silly.

All this is moot however since this live thing isn't going to become a staple and is more of a once in a blue moon type deal.

.JayZii

Banned
They were all playing up the comedy a bit more than usual and doing a bit of mugging to the cheap seats, which could become annoying if they were just doing live shows from now on. But, they seem to be planning on keeping the live shows pretty rare (probably a few conventions a year) so I doubt it will change the tone of the overall show.

I think it's cool that the people at the events get to talk to the actors afterwards and such, but I think doing live shows seems like a lot of extra work and stress for what amounts to a live laugh track. I'm not really a fan of when podcasts do special live shows in front of an audience, either, so I think I'm just not in the demographic that these sorts of events are produced for. It's sort of a pet peeve of mine in all sorts of shows across all media where for a special event or anniversary episode they change the format and/or bring on guest stars as a special treat. I'd prefer to just have the show the way it has been up to that point, which is what made me a fan in the first place. I probably sound like an entitled brat, but that's how I feel about it.

I think this post might read as more negative than I mean it to be, though. Again, the live show wasn't bad at all.

Pilgrimzero

Any episode recap pages? I'm like 10+ episodes behind and it might take forever to catch up.

Also, anything like this for other RPGs like Shadowrun or Vampire? I've found some stuff on YouTube but nothing with the production value.

T-Minus 20mins and counting till second live game.

Edit: lol jinx.

2nd Edit: Holy Carp! Campaign book!

Damn internet is acting up and only getting snippets so far

Grexeno

I forgot to skip forward in the stream and now I"m 20 minute behind.

Also they need to mute the crowd and bump up the player mics.

I forgot to skip forward in the stream and now I"m 20 minute behind.

Also they need to mute the crowd and bump up the player mics.

At least you're getting it. I get five seconds before I get buffering issues. It's fucking pissing me off. I've missed everything so far.

Hate to double post like this but did anyone catch the specifics on the campaign they announced? All I got was that Chris Pramas of Green Ronin was involved before my internet started acting up (which is clear now btw).

They just mentioned a Critical Role campaign book coming out, but did state Green Ronin is going to be publishing Critical Role rpg books (I'm pretty excited they went plural) for 5e, written by Matt. Sounds like they're aiming for Spring of 2017 for the first one.

Someone on Reddit said, "Per Matt, the first book (out early next year) is a Tal'dorei campaign guide. And if it does well, more books for the other continents will follow." Haven't seen any confirmations by Matt or GR via twitter or anything yet, but I'm guessing this came up in the Q&A.

They just mentioned a Critical Role campaign book coming out, but did state Green Ronin is going to be publishing Critical Role rpg books (I'm pretty excited they went plural) for 5e, written by Matt. Sounds like they're aiming for Spring of 2017 for the first one.

Someone on Reddit said, "Per Matt, the first book (out early next year) is a Tal'dorei campaign guide. And if it does well, more books for the other continents will follow." Haven't seen any confirmations by Matt or GR via twitter or anything yet, but I'm guessing this came up in the Q&A.

They actually mentioned it last night during the live game before they started. Pramas was there and Matt announced it. I wasn't able to get all the info since I barely got to see most of it due to the problems I was having (missed the first hour or so).

Maximo

Similar issues I had with the last Live Episode (And on the same page so no point repeating) otherwise I enjoyed the episode, Ki Ki never fails to amuse me love it.

LtB5KzD.gif

I was going to joke that Vox Machina was going to
Draconia to hunt down and kill Tiberius Stormwind
but I guess that isn't the case now.

Am I the only one who notices that marisha's voice sounds scratchy ever since that week where she had a sore throat? I think she permanently damaged her voice. I thought even back then that she probably should have sat that episode out and rested her voice.

.JayZii

Banned
Am I the only one who notices that marisha's voice sounds scratchy ever since that week where she had a sore throat? I think she permanently damaged her voice. I thought even back then that she probably should have sat that episode out and rested her voice.
Definitely still a bit hoarse. I think she's just had a straining month with being sick and doing cons, but I doubt it's anything permanent.

I have also noticed that Keyleth has been a lot more fun and funny the past few weeks.

Definitely still a bit hoarse. I think she's just had a straining month with being sick and doing cons, but I doubt it's anything permanent.

I have also noticed that Keyleth has been a lot more fun and funny the past few weeks.

Yeah but it's been like a month. After that much time and it still sounds bad makes me think she did some damage to her vocal chords.

doyouspice :p

Maximo

You cool bro?

:)

Should have seen chat when it was live. Everyone guessing he's going to get a baggie of cinnamon.

tumblr_ocl7x4zrFn1vtu8l7o2_400.gif

tumblr_ocjrdhKeFe1r4gmj5o4_500.gif

tumblr_ocjrdhKeFe1r4gmj5o6_500.gif

Grog spending so much was amazing too.
tumblr_oclj6qkHaO1qhmgz0o2_250.gif

tumblr_oclj6qkHaO1qhmgz0o1_250.gif

Travis is really underappreciated at how fucking good of a Actor he is, it takes alot of talent to play someone so dumb yet charming so well.

Maximo

You forget the small characters and details sometimes especially with all the shit that is going on, completely forgot bout Ripley.

Top Bottom