• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Szeth

That was something else man. It was their own fault, so many mistakes by the whole party, but at least it had an incredible ending. I'm not sure what I'd like to see happen going forward, but there's such great rp opportunities either way. The wait for next week is gonna be brutal.

Of all the possible outcomes, I'm kinda pulling for
Keyleth to try Reincarnation. If successful he'd come back as a random race decided by a 100 sided die.

But I'm assuming we'll get
Pike skyping in for a Res attempt since she was frantically texting them during the show last week saying she had next Thursday off.

Although I am interested to see what kind of character
Taliesin has in store, since he seemed like he already has one just about ready to go.

Of all the possible outcomes, I'm kinda pulling for
Keyleth to try Reincarnation. If successful he'd come back as a random race decided by a 100 sided die.

But I'm assuming we'll get
Pike skyping in for a Res attempt since she was frantically texting them during the show last week saying she had next Thursday off.

Although I am interested to see what kind of character
Taliesin has in store, since he seemed like he already has one just about ready to go.

A lot of people have stated that but I don't see
Tallisian giving up on Percy after 3yrs of having him. Besides, 4/6 of them are lvl 15 and creating a new character at lvl 14 (assuming Matt's one lvl down rule is in effect) seems pointless at this stage.

All of this is moot however if
they fail Matt's homebrew resurrection roles and can't bring him back

Maximo

Percy
should have stayed dead. He clearly wanted to, and that letter would have been much more effective.

Ehhhhhhh debatable they rolled extremely well, natural 20 persuasion with Vex, 28 on Pikes Religion check and believe a 19 with KiKi and Vax for charisma, and ultimately it was up to Taliesin if he wanted to return as he said. No doubt he had another character in the back of his mind *I had such a great character lined up* even jokingly commented bout it. Normally I don't like story's where side characters/main characters never die but Matt's Version of resurrecting people is beyond what is normally required of a typical DnD game and hes not afraid to outright kill characters in the story or even establishments/cities to rubble as we have seen with this arc.
Im sure a character will die eventually and hell they have only killed the two weakest members of the Conclve so we might end up losing someone in the near future.
However he is my favourite so could be alittle biased.

Percy
should have stayed dead. He clearly wanted to, and that letter would have been much more effective.
He texted Matt before the final roll to tell him how difficult he wanted it to be based on what they had done up to that point.
So he didn't 'clearly' want to stay dead if all it took was a 10. Sure, they nailed all their rolls, but he could have told Matt to set the base number to 20 if he really wanted a good chance to end it. He went in ready for either option. Can't help it if Vex was nosey and read the letter.

.JayZii

Banned
I guess. He looked bummed out and slightly uncomfortable the rest of the session.
Like he would have felt guilty saying no after they had all rolled so well and tried hard to resurrect him. It's cool he's back, but it felt like it undercut what had been building the past few weeks. I do like that Matt seems to require a lot more than the vanilla rules do for character resurrection, and I had a cool mental image of their setup for the ceremony.

On another topic, I liked how grog was better spoken when he was drunk. Sure there was a weird slur, but he was speaking in more complex sentences than usual.

Also, that letter voice over reading was cool, but looooooooooong.

.JayZii

Banned
Their plan for dealing with the white dragon worked out quite well, and they got tons of booty after the fact too. I was sure that the staff from the abyss was going to be the vestige that was left off of the list before the shit hits the fan with all of the other dragons, but that was a smart way to kill two birds with one stone.

sorta off topic, cute Marshia and Matt got engaged.
Good for them.

Maximo

Their plan for dealing with the white dragon worked out quite well, and they got tons of booty after the fact too. I was sure that the staff from the abyss was going to be the vestige that was left off of the list before the shit hits the fan with all of the other dragons, but that was a smart way to kill two birds with one stone.

Good for them.
Love how Matt is dishing out loot not just for loot sake but giving everyone items or weapons to help them deal with every changing situations and weaknesses, Kikis staff is insane and helps her have more spells available to use so she's not the spell bitch having to take shit like treestride instead a heal or damage spell.

Cv1f1ugVIAEVjVQ.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
Well not a whole lot happened in that episode. I enjoyed everyone's costumes though!

I like how everyone kept calling out Taliesin on his non-plan of attacking the dragon and then pretending he meant for it to work out the way it did. Percy/Taliesin can get a bit grating when he's trying to out clever everyone with every word he says. Keyleth had one of her patented bipolar episodes, too. Why was she trying to pull the "I value all life too much to put anyone at risk" schtick when she literally just murdered a pixie for no reason?

Looking forward to next week having some progression. Even the crew looked pretty bummed at the end that nothing much got accomplished in the episode.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't stop laughing at Matts costume fucking amazing.

Whenever the party is having a. Long discussion about what to do, I'll look over at Matt, to see what he's getting up to. He always gets this real serious look on his face as he considers how what they are planning will work with what he's prepared.

That face was absolutely hilarious in his costume yesterday.

Anyone got a rundown on last nights ep? Was only half paying attention. Only part I really noticed was Pike teaching Grog to read and the end.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, I realized halfway thru the recap at the start that I didn't watch last weeks because I was at Doctor Strange, so I watched that one instead.

Have you guys noticed that they're are alot more people online paying add a goliath?

Before crit role, id never even heard of them

sharbhund

Anyone got a rundown on last nights ep? Was only half paying attention. Only part I really noticed was Pike teaching Grog to read and the end.

I missed the first hour, but when I started watching,
Keyleth was negotiating with a Fire Giant blacksmith to find out who had the Plate of the Dawn Martyr. She eventually got the information from him in exchange for a magical sword no one was using, a few magical rings, and some dragon hide.

Then they visited the Fire Giant with the vestige, and Scanlan challenged her to a card game, which he lost, making all of them her slaves (except Vax, who was invisible). She told them that in exchange for their freedom and the vestige, they would need to kill the Pit Fiend who had killed her husband.

The typical Vox Machina planning session ensued, where they came up with a convoluted plan that had no effect on the outcome. After this, Pike tried to teach Grog to read. The next day they set up a booth at the slave auction where the Pit Fiend usually goes. Vex saw 2 Aasimar slaves that she felt sorry for, so she bought them for 15K (this act changed her alignment back to Chaotic Good from Chaotic Neutral). The Pit Fiend then tries to buy the Aasimar from Scanlan, when the fight breaks out.

.JayZii

Banned
Matt kept throwing more stuff at them, but overall the big fight seemed a lot easier than I thought it would be. I guess everyone getting fire resistance was really indispensable.

My reaction to Vax at the end of the fight was basically, "holyshitvaxwhatthehellareyoudoingwhydoyoualwayshavetoactlikethisshewasliterallydoingexactlywhatshesaidshewasgoingtodoandnobodyelseisevennearyoufuckfuckfuckfuck".
Followed by, "Three weeks?!".

Looking forward to seeing what's at the end of that cavern other than a freshly pissed off green dragon.

My reaction to Vax at the end of the fight was basically, "holyshitvaxwhatthehellareyoudoingwhydoyoualwayshavetoactlikethisshewasliterallydoingexactlywhatshesaidshewasgoingtodoandnobodyelseisevennearyoufuckfuckfuckfuck".
Followed by, "Three weeks?!".
Well it was pointed out on Reddit, and confirmed to be intentional by Matt, Raishan took the first shot at Vax during the Thordak fight. You pick your chain lightning targets, and Vax got hit by her chain lightning when she shot it at Thordak. So trusting Raishan to be on the level is probably not a great idea.

Not great judgement numbers wise, but still better than walking into the Briarwoods' room alone.

.JayZii

Banned
Well it was pointed out on Reddit, and confirmed to be intentional by Matt, Raishan took the first shot at Vax during the Thordak fight. You pick your chain lightning targets, and Vax got hit by her chain lightning when she shot it at Thordak. So trusting Raishan to be on the level is probably not a great idea.

Not great judgement numbers wise, but still better than walking into the Briarwoods' room alone.
Yeah, they definitely shouldn't trust her, it was mostly just that they had just established how far the twins had flown from everybody else. I was thinking he was going to start a fight right there and everyone other than his unconscious sister (who could get straight up murdered with two attacks) would take like five rounds to catch up to them.

I'm sure it will all work out fine since she flew off.

They're nearly all low health, low on spell slots, and Raishan might have access to lair actions. Then there's the risk of eggs hatching.

They're in a definite rough spot, I think.

Tonight's the first ep of the new year!

Possibly the conclusion of this arc too. This one has been going on for 40 eps and 1 year.

Nudull

Banned
So I adore D&D and tabletop RPGs in general, yet I've never sat down and watched this show. I imagine catching up is a bit of a nightmare?

So I adore D&D and tabletop RPGs in general, yet I've never sat down and watched this show. I imagine catching up is a bit of a nightmare?

Depends on what you think of as a nightmare. There's 79 episodes/sessions and they run 4-5 hours on the long side, so it's quite a lot of time to get caught up buuuuuuut the vast majority of the episodes are free on youtube so you could watch at whatever pace you like and have quite a bit of entertainment (if you find you like it that is).

Really the hardest part of catching up is that you'd have to resist threads like this and stay away from Critical Role focused social media pages to avoid old spoilers. It does run once a week with relatively few off weeks, but it's entirely possible to catch up to live if you really want to.

However, I'd suggest just watching at your own pace and just enjoying it. If the backlog is too intimidating though, I completely understand.

Szeth

Now that was the kind of episode I was expecting for the finale. Amazing stuff all around. Maybe this will teach Vax/Keyleth a lesson? Nah, probably not.

And so the arc continues. I really can't wait for it to end so we can get to some lighthearted episodes. I need a break from the constant stress.

Now that was the kind of episode I was expecting for the finale. Amazing stuff all around. Maybe this will teach Vax/Keyleth a lesson? Nah, probably not.

And so the arc continues. I really can't wait for it to end so we can get to some lighthearted episodes. I need a break from the constant stress.

If anything it should teach Scanlan a lesson.

He has a bad tendency to wait until the absolute last minute before using key abilities or items. It's never outright burned anyonr but had he used the flute on Thordak the group more than likely would have been in a way better position against Raishan.

But Sam, like Liam, enjoys taking big gambles. Whether the stakes are big (major fights) or relatively small (literal gambling lol). So I doubt they change that aspect of their choices and in many cases it does turn up the drama or comedy as a result.

Top Bottom