• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

.JayZii

Banned
Should we start using more spoiler tags since there seems to be a decent number of people catching up?

Any thoughts on where the Raishan situation goes from where we left off last episode? Do you think we're in for a few weeks of planning, or do you think the party can somehow catch up and finish the fight with the help of their bronze friend?

Calcium

Banned
Any thoughts on where the Raishan situation goes from where we left off last episode? Do you think we're in for a few weeks of planning, or do you think the party can somehow catch up and finish the fight with the help of their bronze friend?

I hope wherever it goes the Chroma Conclave arc is resolved soon. I'm probably in the minority, but I've really been feeling the current story arc is getting really long in the tooth. I'm ready for something new, which is why I've really just been hoping for any character death. Just anything to shake things up, really.

Should we start using more spoiler tags since there seems to be a decent number of people catching up?

I do try and use spoiler tags whenever possible.

Hard to say. They definitely need to rest since they're low on health/spells. They can't go in against her again at where they're at or this time
they'll all die...permanently this time
. I mean, Grog was low. And when the big, dumb, meat shield is low on hp than you definitely need to rest.

Maximo

Hope Rasihan never gets brought up again simply a lasting loss for Vox that they have to remember, im fucking waaaaaay over dragons now.

.JayZii

Banned
Hope Rasihan never gets brought up again simply a lasting loss for Vox that they have to remember, im fucking waaaaaay over dragons now.
I hope wherever it goes the Chroma Conclave arc is resolved soon. I'm probably in the minority, but I've really been feeling the current story arc is getting really long in the tooth. I'm ready for something new, which is why I've really just been hoping for any character death. Just anything to shake things up, really.

I'm in the same boat. Ready to move on to whatever that thing is under Whitestone which is certainly the going to be the final arc. I was certain somebody was going to die last week, and I was totally on board for
Percy
to die a couple of months ago to shake things up. It felt a bit like
Taliesin
was shamed into coming back even though there was a new character sheet ready to go.

Calcium

Banned

I'm in the same boat. Ready to move on to whatever that thing is under Whitestone which is certainly the going to be the final arc. I was certain somebody was going to die last week, and I was totally on board for
Percy
Taliesin
was shamed into coming back even though there was a new character sheet ready to go.

I'm not alone. Good to know.

.JayZii

Banned
I also don't want to hear another speech from a certain druid about a certain dragon. Improv speeches are not her strong suit.

Let's get Lich-y.

Calcium

Banned
I also don't want to hear another speech from a certain druid about a certain dragon. Improv speeches are not her strong suit.

I honestly wonder how another character is going to go for Marisha. Keylith seems to be her exact speed as far as RP goes.

.JayZii

Banned
I'm guessing she'll go with someone ditzy or a grog-like warrior. It's always a bit funny when I remember "Oh yeah, Keyleth is supposed to be super wise" when she often acts the complete opposite.

I also wonder the same thing about Ashley. Clerics seem like exactly her speed. It will probably take a session or two for the players and the audience to get used to whatever new characters all of them go with. There have been so many hours of Vox Machina adventures. I'm sure they can all surprise us.

No way will they leave geek and sundry. The show exists because of GandS, and in any case it's easily their most watched show.

I heard oe of the reasons Tiberius got kicked is because he was streaming shit on the side. You really think GandS would let this show leave? There is most certainly contracts.

Maximo

Percy
Taliesin

Believe
Percy
said they needed a fucking high roll and needed to say the right things I don't think he was pressured into it but
Taliesin
is the most seasoned D&D player he helped matt Co-DM when they first started, he already has a character lined up and was probably alittle disappointed he didn't get to play it.

Im all for characters dying but I hope its not forced or matt being too harsh to simply try to kill any off, hell I wouldn't mind if the characters frankly *retire* and go off and do their own thing while they make new characters based in the same world a generation or two in the future.

.JayZii

Banned
Believe
Percy
said they needed a fucking high roll and needed to say the right things I don't think he was pressured into it but
Taliesin
is the most seasoned D&D player he helped matt Co-DM when they first started, he already has a character lined up and was probably alittle disappointed he didn't get to play it.

Im all for characters dying but I hope its not forced or matt being too harsh to simply try to kill any off, hell I wouldn't mind if the characters frankly *retire* and go off and do their own thing while they make new characters based in the same world a generation or two in the future.
Sure, he just looked a bit disappointed when he came back on set, rather than relieved.

I don't want them to be unfairly killed or anything, they're just in a pretty well worn groove at this point. It might be the Chroma Conclave arc wearing on me that is just making me crave any kind of changeup.

Calcium

Banned
I also wonder the same thing about Ashley. Clerics seem like exactly her speed. It will probably take a session or two for the players and the audience to get used to whatever new characters all of them go with. There have been so many hours of Vox Machina adventures. I'm sure they can all surprise us.

I think Ashley will end up playing a Barbarian next. She already slips into Monstah mode frequently. Most of her problems stem from the long breaks she is forced to take between sessions. Poor Ashley seems like she is always struggling to remember how to play.

No way will they leave geek and sundry. The show exists because of GandS, and in any case it's easily their most watched show.

I think the opposite is more the case here. If Geek and Sundry didn't have Critical Role they'd be nothing. Critical Role is bringing in a ton of money and yet G&S somehow doesn't have any money to improve certain aspects of the show. Just look at that damn wall sconce that went broken for months until Matt finally ordered a replacement himself. If they were to go elsewhere it wouldn't surprise me at all.

hell I wouldn't mind if the characters frankly *retire* and go off and do their own thing while they make new characters based in the same world a generation or two in the future.

That's what I'd like to see. Just let the characters retire and maybe we could get a glimpse of where they are in the next campaign. It'd be really fun.

Szeth

Yeah I'm ready to move on from this arc too. Talesin said on Talks Machina this week that he thinks Raishan is probably gone for the foreseeable future and they'll move on to other stuff in the coming weeks, which makes sense. I don't see them trying to go after her let alone having any clue where to start. And she probably wants nothing to do with them either for now.

I heard oe of the reasons Tiberius got kicked is because he was streaming shit on the side. You really think GandS would let this show leave? There is most certainly contracts.

Matt has said numerous times that he owns the rights to everything CR and if the show ever stopped being fun they'd go right back to playing at home. I don't think there's anything G&S could do if they wanted to leave. Also, Tiberius leaving was all about the players and what they felt was best. You can see the tension rising in his last few episodes.

Side note: I'm glad this topic is getting more active now, more people need to watch :)

Maximo

Sure, he just looked a bit disappointed when he came back on set, rather than relieved.

I don't want them to be unfairly killed or anything, they're just in a pretty well worn groove at this point. It might be the Chroma Conclave arc wearing on me that is just making me crave any kind of changeup.

100% I believe this *Arc* has now been 40 Episodes thats half of the show and it came out March 2015...long time im glad its ending.

Side note: I'm glad this topic is getting more active now, more people need to watch :)

Fuck oath im super happy people are giving it a go was gonna make a new thread to try and promote it, my favourite thing to wait for each week.

.JayZii

Banned
Matt has said numerous times that he owns the rights to everything CR and if the show ever stopped being fun they'd go right back to playing at home. I don't think there's anything G&S could do if they wanted to leave. Also, Tiberius leaving was all about the players and what they felt was best. You can see the tension rising in his last few episodes.

I hope it stays fun and interesting for them for years to come. They're a really great group of players. G&S should be treating them like royalty, honestly.

There was also probably some drama with rights because Orion was adamant that HE owned Tiberius and everything about him. Which is why he went off and made that Draconian Knights series right after leaving the show.

Calcium

Banned
Talks Machina

How is Talks Machina? I haven't seen any of it. Well, I did watch the Critmas episode they released, but I assume that is nothing like the actual show.

100% I believe this *Arc* has now been 40 Episodes thats half of the show and it came out March 2015...long time im glad its ending.

Damn, has it really been 40 episodes? At least Matt broke it up with the Vestige hunting and whatnot.

How is Talks Machina? I haven't seen any of it. Well, I did watch the Critmas episode they released, but I assume that is nothing like the actual show.

Damn, has it really been 40 episodes? At least Matt broke it up with the Vestige hunting and whatnot.

Yup. Conclave started ep. 39 and tomorrow's ep is 81. It also started late Jan of last year so we're almost a full year of the arc.

Yeah my threads don't typically move that fast. Hell, most don't make it past 2 pages lol. But that's a whole other discussion.

.JayZii

Banned
It was better than I thought it would be, but it's basically just them answering fan questions, usually a bit vaguely, and joking around with the host. I could see how some people would find the host a bit too abrasive (he's a friend of the groups's and there's a lot of shit talking) but that's part of what made it interesting to me.
Yeah my threads don't typically move that fast. Hell, most don't make it past 2 pages lol. But that's a whole other discussion.
Today it has been moving crazy fast compared to usual.

Calcium

Banned
It was better than I thought it would be, but it's basically just them answering fan questions, usually a bit vaguely, and joking around with the host. I could see how some people would find the host a bit too abrasive (he's a friend of the groups' and there's a lot of shit talking) but that's part of what made it interesting to me.

Yeah, I caught that during the Critmas episode. At first I was a little put off by it, but then I put it together that he is dating Ashley and they all probably know each other really well.

I'll have to check the show out, though. They removed the Alpha only nonsense, right?

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah, I caught that during the Critmas episode. At first I was a little put off by it, but then I put it together that he is dating Ashley and they all probably know each other really well.

I'll have to check the show out, though. They removed the Alpha only nonsense, right?
Not entirely. They have the episodes on the twitch archive, but they do bonus questions/discussion that is Alpha only, I believe. I still don't even know what Alpha is, but I'm not paying for another subscription just for a few more minutes of Talks Machina. It's not like I'm jonesing for tons of other G&S content.

Szeth

I love it. It's basically just friends having fun and doing a Q&A session like they did a few times in the early days, except it's only a few of them, more structured and focused on the most recent episode.

Not entirely. They have the episodes on the twitch archive, but they do bonus questions/discussion that is Alpha only, I believe. I still don't even know what Alpha is, but I'm not paying for another subscription just for a few more minutes of Talks Machina. It's not like I'm jonesing for tons of other G&S content.

Alpha is a premium streaming service Legendary (they bought Nerdist and G&S if I'm not mistaken) is trying to start and it's dumb as fuck. Luckily I have a 6 month trial of it because I'm subbed to G&S on twitch and hopefully before that is up it goes under and all of TM is on G&S :p

Calcium

Banned

That's fine. At least they backed off of the exclusivity stance.

I love it. It's basically just friends having fun and doing a Q&A session like they did a few times in the early days, except it's only a few of them, more structured and focused on the most recent episode.

That sounds great. Is Matt ever on? Does he ever go into detail on things that didn't happen or discuss DM stuff? That's probably what I'd be most interested in, but I'd understand him not talking about it.

.JayZii

Banned
Alpha is a premium streaming service Legendary (they bought Nerdist and G&S if I'm not mistaken) is trying to start and it's dumb as fuck. Luckily I have a 6 month trial of it because I'm subbed to G&S on twitch and hopefully before that is up it goes under and all of TM is on G&S :p
Oh, I might have a trial as well then. Maybe I missed the boat. I'll just hope it goes under, as well.
That sounds great. Is Matt ever on? Does he ever go into detail on things that didn't happen or discuss DM stuff? That's probably what I'd be most interested in, but I'd understand him not talking about it.
He is, and he does. It's always just a bit too superficial for my liking, though. I really want him to get into the nitty gritty, but I understand why he doesn't.

Calcium

Banned
Probably not a long wait for Alpha to fail. I assume they backed off on the Talks Machina exclusivity because the vast majority of Critters weren't biting.

He is, and he does. It's always just a bit too superficial for my liking, though. I really want him to get into the nitty gritty, but I understand why he doesn't.

As long as he touches on some of it I'm happy. As a DM I completely understand keeping some things under wrap so they can resurface later.

Szeth

Oh, I might have a trial as well then. Maybe I missed the boat. I'll just hope it goes under, as well.

Yeah unfortunately you had to sign up for it before the end of last year to get the 6 months. I don't see it lasting long unless it improves drastically.

I also wonder the same thing about Ashley. Clerics seem like exactly her speed.
She was a cleric in the Force Grey campaign they did for Wizards too, so maybe it is exactly her speed.

I think he was just trying to play drained and it failed to read that way. He said in a Q&A, possibly on Talks Machina, that talking to Matt ahead of time and making sure there was more potential misery in store for Percy convinced him it was worth sticking around.

I could see how some people would find the host a bit too abrasive (he's a friend of the groups's and there's a lot of shit talking) but that's part of what made it interesting to me.
Yeah, he has a really specific sense of humor and delivery of it that I can see rubbing some people wrong if it doesn't click for them, but I enjoy it.

Honestly improv speeches are none of their strong suits, other than maybe Matt and generally he's had some general prep if he's gonna give one. It's the down side of being live instead of having an editor. They all ramble on too long and I lose interest. Even Vax which people seem to gush over annoys me when he's giving dramatic speeches.

.JayZii

Banned
Honestly improv speeches are none of their strong suits, other than maybe Matt and generally he's had some general prep if he's gonna give one. It's the down side of being live instead of having an editor. They all ramble on too long and I lose interest. Even Vax which people seem to gush over annoys me when he's giving dramatic speeches.
And it would be really hard to come up with a rousing or well constructed speech on the spot, so I don't hold it against them. Marisha seems to get lost in what she's saying more than the rest, though, so a lot of the time it just ends up being Trumpian nonsense if she goes on for a bit. Travis did really well with Grog during the Kevdak episodes, I thought.

Vax's problem
other than always being on his "last luck of the day"
is that he is so self-serious and broody that a little goes a long way.

So many posts today! Lol.

A few things to mention.

Orion's leaving had nothing to do with his solo streaming and nothing to do with fighting over his character. That said, his character is his and he and Matt have worked out how his solo stuff loosely connects to CR (it CR stuff will likely be alternate universe background or something for his stuff). As far as has been said, they're all on good terms with each other.

Matt and every member of CR own the rights. I don't believe they have contracts because they were originally hired by Felicia's GnS which didn't have restrictive contracts on anyone, even the streaming crew (ex. Zach and co were private contractors, not GnS staff) and I doubt they would sign a new restrictive contract with Legendary. This has always been a fun side gig for them while their VA and Acting work comes first.

IF they were to leave GnS and still wanted to do something, they would probably have the option of going to HyperRPG as that's where a lot of others have gone and HyperRPG now has an additional LA based streaming location where Zach and The Pit Crew work from.

Count me in the number that would love to see Pike get her storyline focused on.

Taliesin is the best at improve speeches but I don't mind Liam's. Yes he's a bit melodramatic but I appreciate that he tries to insert inter-character development in the downtime between quests/battles.

I'm not at all tired of VM and I'm in for the long haul. If a death happens, it happens, but I'm not enamored with the idea of shaking things up for the sake of shaking things up. I want to see these characters through to the end of their stories.

So many posts today! Lol.

Orion's leaving had nothing to do with his solo streaming and nothing to do with fighting over his character

Hmm, that seems a little too neat when Travis whispers i'm gonna kill him, Marisha calls him out repeatedly, Sam constantly berates him, and even Matt snaps at him before he is never seen from again. The last three episodes he was in were extremely uncomfortable and were getting worse to the point where Matt was punishing him every single encounter. I respect the official PR stance given, but to say that it had nothing to do with player dynamics doesn't seem to ring true. Regardless of the full truth, its for the best and I hope he is doing well in whatever he is doing.

_____

Quick question for anyone caught up, do any of the guest characters from Trial of the Take ever show up again? They were some of my favorite characters.

Hmm, that seems a little too neat when Travis whispers i'm gonna kill him, Marisha calls him out repeatedly, Sam constantly berates him, and even Matt snaps at him before he is never seen from again. The last three episodes he was in were extremely uncomfortable and were getting worse to the point where Matt was punishing him every single encounter. I respect the official PR stance given, but to say that it had nothing to do with player dynamics doesn't seem to ring true. Regardless of the full truth, its for the best and I hope he is doing well in whatever he is doing.

_____

Quick question for anyone caught up, do any of the guest characters from Trial of the Take ever show up again? They were some of my favorite characters.

I wasn't referring to player dynamics. I was referring to ownership.

And to your question. Yes, some of them return.

.JayZii

Banned
It is Thursday yet!
It's strange to me when I see people hand wave the entire thing with the official PR response. Not that that's what Just Chillin was doing, I just mean in comments I've seen around in general. If you have any kind of people reading skills whatsoever, It's obvious there was personal conflict within the group from the beginning that just got worse as the series went on. You don't have to be an empathic Sherlock-ian genius, just look at reactions when people are talking. Either way, I hope he's happier now and doing well. I just looked him up and it looks like he's on that HyperRPG channel with the old CR showrunner.
Weren't they great? Some of them come back from time to time and are great guest characters. And Matt does a very well when he has to play them in a pinch.

Although, I'm bummed
Felicia Day
hasn't returned yet.

Szeth

Gotta postpone this for a few hours to get in on that Switch hype. Twitch's instant archive doesn't get enough love, such an amazing feature.

jadedm17

Love Critical Role, glad there's a GAF community for it.

The three week hiatus hit me during the holidays; I look forward to CR every week.

Bump to get more to watch this show.

.JayZii

Banned
That was a fantastic episode, and I'm very excited for next week now even though I thought I was over this particular story beat.

It would have been cool if they all charged in immediately, even in their weakened state. I feel like they could have done it. At least next week will be more flashy, and I'm sure they're in for some ooky spooky bullshit.

Ok. That scene. Was. The best.

Laura had the dirtiest mind tonight

That was a fantastic episode, and I'm very excited for next week now even though I thought I was over this particular story beat.

It would have been cool if they all charged in immediately, even in their weakened state. I feel like they could have done it. At least next week will be more flashy, and I'm sure they're in for some ooky spooky bullshit.

That's because this feels like finality.

.JayZii

Banned
I was in tears from that bathtub scene, by the way.
I meant finality to this arc
Right, I get you. I just meant that this arc and the next one might be more closely intertwined than some people were expecting considering the necromancy through line that's getting laid out. But Rainbow Lizard Land is finally coming to an end it seems.

---------

And Grog will finally have some aerial abilities
singing sword and/or king sized flying carpet
so good for him.

Maximo

Jesus Christ, A Deck Of Many Things. That could have ended hooooooorible, love how Travis just said fuck it and did it anyway he loves just going with the flow.

Top Bottom