• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

I genuinely believe Travis had no idea what that was. I don't think their studio has the big monitor that shows them the twitch chat up for them, so as not to influence the game.

Well that was an extremely stressful looting section at the beginning. Lucky lucky, Travis.
Turns out it was a bit more than luck, cause Matt misheard Travis. He got the result for the Queen of Hearts instead of the Queen of Spades which would have been -2 to all saving throws. Still could have been way way worse.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I still catching up, and just got thru the Umbrasyl fight.

Good god, all the stuff with Tiny Vax and Scanlan inside the dragon was funny as hell.

.JayZii

Banned
I genuinely believe Travis had no idea what that was. I don't think their studio has the big monitor that shows them the twitch chat up for them, so as not to influence the game.
The times when the venn diagram of Travis and Grog intersects on something neither of them know about is when some of the best scenes happen.
Turns out it was a bit more than luck, cause Matt misheard Travis. He got the result for the Queen of Hearts instead of the Queen of Spades which would have been -2 to all saving throws. Still could have been way way worse.
Nice. I'm glad he got what he did, Grog always needs a new wacky weapon.

I have a vague idea of the things in the deck, but I decided not to look it up so that it'll be surprising if it gets pulled out again.
I still catching up, and just got thru the Umbrasyl fight.

Good god, all the stuff with Tiny Vax and Scanlan inside the dragon was funny as hell.
That fight feels like it happened years ago now. 2016 was a long year.

Man Taliesan needs to wash his hands. Dude stays licking his fingers and sticking them in his mouth. It's making me inadvertently transform this into a podcast vs. watching them lol.

This world is blowing my mind. Mercer is cruel yet often times benevolent. And I swear one of these days Keyleth is going to kill the whole party

Calcium

Banned
Just finished the new episode. As always Rothfuss is probably my least favorite guest, but the episode was still enjoyable. I really don't get what Scanlan is doing, though. His current character mindset is
fearing death because he has someone to live for, but he starts fucking with drugs that could easily kill him? Doesn't make sense.

.JayZii

Banned
I saw a tweet from Matt that said resurrections get harder with each time they are used. Things might be getting nasty for Vox Machina in 2017.
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/817268116350586880
Just finished the new episode. As always Rothfuss is probably my least favorite guest, but the episode was still enjoyable. I really don't get what Scanlan is doing, though. His current character mindset is
fearing death because he has someone to live for, but he starts fucking with drugs that could easily kill him? Doesn't make sense.
I think responsibility is starting to weigh on him from his personal life and the world crisis, and he's not up to dealing with it. Similar to why people turn to that in the real world too, I would guess is what he's going for.

Calcium

Banned
I saw a tweet from Matt that said resurrections get harder with each time they are used. Things might be getting nasty for Vox Machina in 2017.
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/817268116350586880

Uh..hasn't she died like 3 times now? That'd make the DC at least a 15 for the resurrection and I'm pretty sure Pike rolled a 10 last time.
I could be wrong, though. I do remember at the time thinking Matt was being really generous with the roll.

I think responsibility is starting to weigh on him from his personal life and the world crisis, and he's not up to dealing with it. Similar to why people turn to that in the real world too, I would guess is what he's going for.

It's a pretty weak move for Scanlan when all his development up to this point has been stellar. When he discovered he
had a daughter and the character growth that came out of that
are probably some of my favorite moments in the show. I don't get this new thing, though. Just feels like a step back for him.

.JayZii

Banned
Uh..hasn't she died like 3 times now? That'd make the DC at least a 15 for the resurrection and I'm pretty sure Pike rolled a 10 last time.
I could be wrong, though. I do remember at the time thinking Matt was being really generous with the roll.
I get the feeling he might lower the DC depending on how good/flavorful the other players' assistance in the ritual is, as well. Either way, I think
Keyleth is the only one who hasn't died at least once out of the group.
I love that he makes resurrection more difficult than it is in the vanilla rules. It adds so much more drama.

It's a pretty weak move for Scanlan when all his development up to this point has been stellar. When he discovered he
had a daughter and the character growth that came out of that
are probably some of my favorite moments in the show. I don't get this new thing, though. Just feels like a step back for him.
Nobody wants to be a
deadbeat dad
. I'm just guessing, though, we'll have to see where he takes this. He's old and lived the life of a traveling performer for a long time, maybe he's a recovered addict that's lapsing.

Either way, I think
Keyleth is the only one who hasn't died at least once out of the group.
Vax has also never died. Which is a miracle considering the situations he's put himself in.

That is actually surprising. The way she performs in combat you'd think she would be on the other end of that.
She's often in another form with an extra set of hit points. Although there's a pretty good chance she would have gotten instant perma killed
when she decided to poke the mystery orb if she didn't role a 20.

.JayZii

Banned
That is actually surprising. The way she performs in combat you'd think she would be on the other end of that.
Elemental forms
are so tanky. But I agree. She almost paid for her iffy decisions all at once, and permanently, with that hilarious
lava flop.
Vax has also never died. Which is a miracle considering the situations he's put himself in.
That's true. Advantage on death saving throws is handy. And he's so decked out with fancy shit and insane mobility.

Calcium

Banned
Whenever they start the next campaign I really hope they get a replacement for the empty seat Orion left. If said replacement is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn I would be pleased.

Maximo

Whenever they start the next campaign I really hope they get a replacement for the empty seat Orion left. If said replacement is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn I would be pleased.

I think 6...sometimes 7 with Ashly is enough Matts done well in giving the party items to help the fact they lost their main Magic User, Kiki was essentially the *utility bitch* for awhile giving her the staff for extra damage spells was a great idea even if the staff is fucking bonkers in how good it is.

.JayZii

Banned
Mary, the guy who plays Kashaw, and the Talks Machina host are starting their own home game with a few others I think, but I'm sure a lot of people would drop whatever they were doing to be involved in the next CR campaign. 6-7 players (hopefully consistently 7 by then) is already a lot though, so I feel like the cast will stay the same unless one of the mains drop out for whatever reason. I'll be very interested to see how they handle different characters since I get the feeling their current characters are just slightly caricatured versions of themselves, whether the cast admits it or not.

I think 6...sometimes 7 with Ashly is enough Matts done well in giving the party items to help the fact they lost their main Magic User, Kiki was essentially the *utility bitch* for awhile giving her the staff for extra damage spells was a great idea even if the staff is fucking bonkers in how good it is.
I think druids tend to get put into the "utility bitch" role because they are so good at it, but I could see it being a bummer to the player who feels handicapped in battle because of it. That staff is crazy, though I think Marisha forgets about it sometimes, and I wonder if we'll see an awakened form during the finale with Kiki's archenemy.

Calcium

Banned
Mary, the guy who plays Kashaw, and the Talks Machina host are starting their own home game with a few others I think, but I'm sure a lot of people would drop whatever they were doing to be involved in the next CR campaign.

Oh wow, I wish they recorded that game. I'd watch the hell out of that. Will and Mary are always fantastic when they are on the show.

.JayZii

Banned
I really need to find a D&D group, or convince some friends to start one. I've always been interested in the lore/monsters/art/etc through video games and just general nerd culture, but after watching Critical Role it makes me want to finally jump in and play for real. I don't know if normal people can compete with a DM like Mercer, though. I guess I'll just have to infiltrate their next campaign somehow.
Oh wow, I wish they recorded that game. I'd watch the hell out of that. Will and Mary are always fantastic when they are on the show.
They both seem to really enjoy the game and are actors so they are quick on the improv. The issue with guest characters is when they aren't quick enough to keep the pace up and contribute meaningfully to the role playing.

Keyleth, Vax, and Grog I think have never died. Grog was effectively brain dead once but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

As for the death rule, I think it's something Matt recently changed given the nature of the show. I don't think it was any easier before but I would guess with how often deaths started happening, and with how much assistance the party has been able to pull out, he probably added the +5 in order to avoid cheapening his previous ruleset.

Grexeno

Keyleth, Vax, and Grog I think have never died. Grog was effectively brain dead once but I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

As for the death rule, I think it's something Matt recently changed given the nature of the show. I don't think it was any easier before but I would guess with how often deaths started happening, and with how much assistance the party has been able to pull out, he probably added the +5 in order to avoid cheapening his previous ruleset.
Grog was killed by the talking sword.

Calcium

Banned
I really need to find a D&D group, or convince some friends to start one. I've always been interested in the lore/monsters/art/etc through video games and just general nerd culture, but after watching Critical Role it makes me want to finally jump in and play for real. I don't know if normal people can compete with a DM like Mercer, though. I guess I'll just have to infiltrate their next campaign somehow.

I highly recommend it. I started playing because of Critical Role and I'm really glad I did. Just keep in mind that you probably aren't going to be in a game anywhere near as good as the campaign in Critical Role. The group I DM is fun, but they aren't super into RP so it's not as satisfying for me.

Calcium

Banned

That was a great moment. "You know you're getting weirder?" I've really grown to like Percy over the course of this show which is funny because initially I didn't like him. The first 20 episodes or so Talesin just sat there contributing very little, but he really came out swinging after that.

I still think the
Percy/Vex
thing came out of nowhere, but it has been a blast so far. Very different from
Keylith/Vax

.JayZii

Banned
That whole bath scene was constructed so well on the fly. The casual "you know you're getting weirder" is definitely one of Percy's best lines, and Vex made all of his lines to Vax better in retrospect by jumping into the scene. You can see the moment when Laura gets the idea to do it, too.
Man Taliesan needs to wash his hands. Dude stays licking his fingers and sticking them in his mouth. It's making me inadvertently transform this into a podcast vs. watching them lol.
You know, that wouldn't even help me not notice him doing it because it's so loud. I always thought he was just smacking his lips though, because I'm always watching somebody else when he does it.

I still think the
Percy/Vex
Keylith/Vax

It was subtle but it was there. A great example of how the increasing reminder of the characters own mortality influenced their decision to just go for it.

.JayZii

Banned
I still think the
Percy/Vex
Keylith/Vax
That moment
in the Feywild with the title and Vex's dad was really big for her, I think. It makes sense that him having her back in that situation when she felt most vulnerable would foster feelings or reveal feelings that were already there. It actually makes more sense to me than Keyleth/Vax, who have really awkward chemistry because they're both pulling their "we don't deserve to be happy" behavior all the time.
It's cool that they blazed the trail for inter-character romantic relationships, though. Everyone else in the group was giving them so much shit when they first started that.

Calcium

Banned
It was subtle but it was there. A great example of how the increasing reminder of the characters own mortality influenced their decision to just go for it.

It was very subtle and just blew up after
Percy died
. Not saying it was poorly handled or anytihng, just escalated so quickly that it felt a little odd. Previous to
Percy giving Vex a title
they hadn't really flirted that I can remember.

That moment
in the Feywild with the title and Vex's dad was really big for her, I think.
Yeah, that was when it started for sure. Just saying, they could have hinted at it beforehand. I really didn't see it coming based on the interactions the two had previously.

It actually makes more sense to me than Keyleth/Vax, who have really awkward chemistry because they're both pulling their "we don't deserve to be happy" behavior all the time.

Oh, for sure.
Keylith/Vax
is pretty annoying.

.JayZii

Banned
I've been slowly going through the old episodes again. Anybody else completely forget that Vax
has a giant pet wolf now?
Or just me?
Percy died
. Not saying it was poorly handled or anytihng, just escalated so quickly that it felt a little odd. Previous to
Percy giving Vex a title

Yeah, that was when it started for sure. Just saying, they could have hinted at it beforehand. I really didn't see it coming based on the interactions the two had previously.

Oh, for sure.
Keylith/Vax
is pretty annoying.
Well he did
modify her broom to make it better and she helped him work on it. If there's any direct way into Vex's heart, it's that.

According to Laura it began for Vex when Percy started building arrows for her cause no one had ever given her things without wanting something back.

Calcium

Banned
I've been slowly going through the old episodes again. Anybody else completely forget that Vax
has a giant pet wolf now?
Or just me?

Wasn't the instruction to just watch the city for a while then he'd be free to go his own way?

Well he did
modify her broom to make it better and she helped him work on it. If there's any direct way into Vex's heart, it's that.

According to Laura it began for Vex when Percy started building arrows for her cause no one had ever given her things without wanting something back.

Zahra made her some Dragonslayer Arrows. So close to Zahra/Vex.

.JayZii

Banned
Wasn't the instruction to just watch the city for a while then he'd be free to go his own way?
That was what the deal was
after Grog convinced it when it was first released. After the assassination attempt on them all in Whitestone by the Rakshasa and a group of assassins, the wolf caught one who fled after the fight, and when he returned he was all cuddly with Vax because he had since multiclassed into paladin for the Raven Queen.

It's kind of unclear at the moment, so I don't know if it'll be returning or not. I think I just like the idea of the twins both flying around with animal companions.

Calcium

Banned
Vex would still probably hit that if given the opportunity.

Haha, probably.

After the assassination attempt on them all in Whitestone by the Rakshasa and a group of assassins, the wolf caught one who fled after the fight, and when he returned he was all cuddly with Vax because he had since multiclassed into paladin for the Raven Queen.

Ah, forgot about that part. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of that. I'm sure it hasn't escaped Mercer's memory.

Might give this show another go sometime since it's so highly praised. Streamed DnD is so jarring since you're not involved.

The first few episodes have some pretty rough audio issues, but do try and stick with it if you like D&D.

Percy died
Percy giving Vex a title

Oh they had, they're just both types that don't do it in an obvious way.

Vex starts calling Percy "darling" in conversation, which gets missed because it comes across similar to they way older women may refer to kids as "honey" or "sweetie." Basically a slightly caring but platonic reference (Zahra uses words like this for eveyone for example) but Percy is the only one to be referred to like that by Vex. She occassionally uses terms like this with Vax but usually in a teasingly sarcastic way. On Percy's end of things, he's got such a fatalistic view of things, that I don't think he would have ever admitted anything had she not first. His version of flirtation could be picked out if you noticed that he always volunteered to make/improve/modify things for Vex. He tends to criticize her decisions/though process less than others. I think his end of things grew primarily out of respect for her willingness to take the lead and her practicality when doing so (The others either tend to default to either Percy or Vex, or in the case of Scanlan, make ridiculous decisions when they take the lead.

When the title was given, I was extremely surprised, but not because it appeared strange but because it was so much more overt than they had been previously. Likewise for the kiss.

That was how I interpreted things anyhow.

.JayZii

Banned
I like how they have it where
Percy
tries to be suave or has some plan to impress her, but she just undercuts him and takes charge. It's a fun dynamic.

Grexeno

Trinket has essentially been written out of the show ever since he became a Pokemon. Of course, it's with good reason since all he was really good at was taking a breath attack to the face and dying immediately.

Fevaweva

This show has inspired me to play one of the old isometric Bioware RPGs since I don't have a group of friends to play DnD with or have any desire to play it with randoms. And Travis' Grog has really inspired me to play a Barbarian. I am usually a Mage in any RPGs but I think I will mix it up a bit.

Not sure which one to play, I own them all on GoG.

Trinket has essentially been written out of the show ever since he became a Pokemon. Of course, it's with good reason since all he was really good at was taking a breath attack to the face and dying immediately.

Yup. That's the downside to a Ranger that goes with the pet. At least in the original 5.0 book rules. The pets is pretty vulnerable and Ranger dps is severely limited compared to the alternate class path, Hunter. Matt's tried to help that with some of the items he's allowed Vex and Trinket to have but the problem really is in the bones of the archetype that allows the pet.

Maybe this has been fixed in Arcana updates though?

Calcium

Banned

Yeah, that really is a shame. Matt has tried to buff Trinket up some, but it still results in him never being used. I'd really like to see Matt come up with something that lets Trinket be used more, I really miss the interactions that came from him being around.

Grexeno

Yeah, that really is a shame. Matt has tried to buff Trinket up some, but it still results in him never being used. I'd really like to see Matt come up with something that lets Trinket be used more, I really miss the interactions that came from him being around.
The answer is simple: buff Trinket's AC and stats to PC levels and make him a separate entity from Vex.

Calcium

Banned
The answer is simple: buff Trinket's AC and stats to PC levels and make him a separate entity from Vex.

Of course, but knowing Matt he'd probably like to incorporate a story element to this upgrade so that is what he'd have to figure out.

It was fixed, but too big of a change to implement with Vex after this long. For example they could put Trinket separate in the turn order now, but Vex would lose her multi attack.

Figures. I'll have to look for that update.

Too stronk. That's essentially adding another party member which then would mess with how he would have to adjust encounter difficulty, which already is a pain in the ass as the DMG lists stuff for 5 party members or less. He basically has to hack the enemy stats for every encounter as it is.

Grexeno

Too stronk. That's essentially adding another party member which then would mess with how he would have to adjust encounter difficulty, which already is a pain in the ass as the DMG lists stuff for 5 party members or less. He basically has to hack the enemy stats for every encounter as it is.
Well they've had more members before.

Top Bottom