• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

Yeah what where they thinking with that? They were so afraid of dying they made things worse.

I believe the plan was for the inside of the dragon to be a bit more spacious so Vax could just go ham with his dragon sword, it just didn't work out that way. If only Scanlan knew more about dragons.

The highlight of last night's episode for me was Laura panicking while holding the open book on her head during the attack rolls and asking, "That killed it, right? How do I want to do this?" Her 100 damage on the opening attack was great too though.

I watch a few geek and sundry programs but haven't watched this yet. That being said laura bailey is extremely attractive, and I've been tempted to watch just for her.

I'm surprised she's not a movie or TV star considering how gorgeous she looks in addition to her acting ability.

Could be of her own volition which is obviously fine.

Anyone else ready for tonight's Q&A? Ashley also announced that she's going to be part of the D&D at meltdown comics thing that's going to have Matt & Chris Perkins. She made a Half-Orc Cleric

Just a reminder:

Matt Mercer and Laura Bailey are going to be on twitch.tv/Wotc_DND in about 5 minutes.

Cj39lD-VAAAN12D.jpg

Yeah, Laura's on a plane back to LA with Travis.

Speaking of, what they just announced,
I don't know how matt is going to do this new thing and Critrole too. He's already stated that doesn't have any free time anymore anyway. I fear it's going to burn him out.

This production is a fucking disaster so far. You have to be more clever shilling shit in 2016. People in the chat are starting to rage after an hour and a half of this bullshit and no game.

Speaking of, what they just announced, I don't know how matt is going to do this new thing and Critrole too. He's already stated that doesn't have any free time anymore anyway. I fear it's going to burn him out.
I assume it's gonna be pre-taped and cut up into episodes. Jonah Ray has a lot of jobs lately too, and Chris Hardwick has all the jobs. And if they're gonna be on Wednesday's, that's the day they tape 2 episodes of @midnight.

I assume it's gonna be pre-taped and cut up into episodes. Jonah Ray has a lot of jobs lately too, and Chris Hardwick has all the jobs. And if they're gonna be on Wednesday's, that's the day they tape 2 episodes of @midnight.

Even if it's pretaped, they still have to shoot it for several hours. Matt unfortunately strikes me as the kind of guy who can't say no to people and ends up doing everything. It's going to burn him out.

This production is a fucking disaster so far. You have to be more clever shilling shit in 2016. People in the chat are starting to rage after an hour and a half of this bullshit and no game.

Um... what did you think this event was going to be, dude?

It was always going to be about promoting the next phase of releases.

Szeth

Waiting for that how do you want to do this was painful, felt like it was never coming. Chris was great for what little time he had to do things. I really hope they have Mary and Will for one of the dragon fights.

Um... what did you think this event was going to be, dude?

It was always going to be about promoting the next phase of releases.

I know that, but it was incredibly poorly executed. They led people to believe the game was going to start an hour and a half before it actually did. So viewers felt they got bait-and-switched. They never updated the viewers when the game was actually coming up. Plus the audio was fucked up, and the video cueing was a disaster. They did a long segment interviewing a mural artist, and failed to show the mural.

When you lose 500+ viewers to your event, (which was like 1/5th of your live audience) you failed.

What an awesome episode last night!

If anybody was waiting for the rebroadcast to start, but was disappointed to see the stream having technical issues...THE STREAM RE-BROADCAST IS FINALLY STARTING RIGHT NOW!

https://www.twitch.tv/geekandsundry

I looked at the calendar of upcoming events at Meltdown and it looks like this Sunday they're taping the entire D&D at Meltdown series from 12pm - 8:30pm.

It occurs to me, how are they going to do this live thing tomorrow? I don't think Game the Game is going to be live also so are they going to air that in studio and then cut to CR at the theater? Are they cutting GtG altogether tomorrow? They really didn't explain how this is going down.

Calcium

Banned
I'm going to be able to watch the show live tomorrow night. Hopefully they don't screw up the broadcast and the Critters attending aren't disruptive. It'll be an interesting show.

.JayZii

Banned
I've finally caught up after binging the show for the past month or so. Bittersweet, since now I have to wait, but I really love this show.
and it got infinitely better after episode 27
The actors have the chops to pull off the the goofy, the serious, and everything in between. I especially enjoy the Grog-heavier episodes; Travis does the character very well and adds some nice depth to it when he get's a chance. That's an archetype that could easily be really shallow and annoying in the wrong hands. He and Pike are also adorable. And of course, Scanlan is the MVP of the party.

I've always been interested in playing D&D, but getting a group together with a good DM has just seemed like such an ordeal. This is great for me to play vicariously through.

The one-off that Liam DM'ed recently was a lot of fun, too, and delightfully weird. That faux voice acting session at the beginning was the best part. "Pickup!"

So my first episode that I watch streaming live will be their first live show tomorrow night. Lots of pressure for Liam and Laura to have a big, dramatic family reunion in front of a live audience. Honestly, I'm a little worried about the audience being being backseat players or just shouting out memes throughout the show. Hopefully they convince them all to be respectful before the show starts, because I think it could really easily ruin the whole vibe.

Calcium

Banned
I've finally caught up after binging the show for the past month or so. Bittersweet, since now I have to wait,

Yeah, I know that feeling. Being able to binge this show was amazing. Kind of a bummer having to wait, especially with G&S not putting out the new episode for free for a few days after the livestream.

and it got infinitely better after episode 27

Yep.

Honestly, I'm a little worried about the audience being being backseat players or just shouting out memes throughout the show. Hopefully they convince them all to be respectful before the show starts, because I think it could really easily ruin the whole vibe.

Yeah, I'm worried too. I'm guessing the Critical Role fan base skews older, so maybe it'll be alright.

.JayZii

Banned
Yeah, I know that feeling. Being able to binge this show was amazing. Kind of a bummer having to wait, especially with G&S not putting out the new episode for free for a few days after the livestream.
I may go down the dark path of re-watching the series, though at a much slower rate. Probably just starting at Whitestone, because I tried watching one of the earlier episodes and I actually find the atmosphere in the room physically uncomfortable on a second viewing.

Yeah, I'm worried too. I'm guessing the Critical Role fan base skews older, so maybe it'll be alright.
Let's hope so, the community seems to be quite positive from what I've gleaned. Alpha nerds who fancy themselves MST3K hosts are alive and well, however.

I also hope they have a decent sound setup, or at least a good backup recording they can edit over the top of the footage for the upload on Monday.

I'll echo some of the worry about the live audience, just due to some of the crazy that's been unleashed with large donations in the charity live streams. I'm hoping it'll just be cheering and general reactions though, and I'm sure the crew will prep the audience for general expectations and adjust the crowd's sound pre show.

Top Bottom