• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 |OT| 1,000 VC needed to enter thread.

realwords

Hate to be that guy, but after playing both demos, I have to say NBA Live just... clicks. The dribbling, the inside slashing/drive game, the defensive cut-off minigame, it feels better. Add that on top of that of no microtransactions?

Much better product than 2K, to me.

ViciousDS

Banned
Man, I can't sink a goddamn thing despite having 90+ for mid-range shooting. I'm going to have a whole bunch of cold zones and be completely useless.

Just let us play on rookie ffs

I'm a slashing small forward at 6'9" with a 92 driving layup and I can't finish over a guard thats 6'3" .......even hitting the release right at vibration too.....can't hit shit

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
I'm a slashing small forward at 6'9" with a 92 driving layup and I can't finish over a guard thats 6'3" .......even hitting the release right at vibration too.....can't hit shit

Layups have to be broken. So many times yesterday during walk-on I and some of my teammates would miss a wide open layup. I understand if there's a contest of some kind that can alter it, but the high % of them rolling out is bullshit.

ViciousDS

Banned
Layups have to be broken. So many times yesterday during walk-on I and some of my teammates would miss a wide open layup. I understand if there's a contest of some kind that can alter it, but the high % of them rolling out is bullshit.

lol, its like even numbered games are huge tests of new systems or something. 2k16 had this open layup shit too and then it was fixed for the most part in 17

Are you guys playing on HoF or something? I'm Shotcreating Driving/Finishing with 70 layup/dunk/midrange and I'm hitting And-1s, dunking on everything in sight, and making off the dribble pull ups on Pro difficulty.

I saw a video that was saying PS4 Pro reduced the input latency/lag on this game so idk, maybe that might explain it since my timing isn't that fucked.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Are you guys playing on HoF or something? I'm Shotcreating Driving/Finishing with 70 layup/dunk/midrange and I'm hitting And-1s, dunking on everything in sight, and making off the dribble pull ups on Pro difficulty.

I saw a video that was saying PS4 Pro reduced the input latency/lag on this game so idk, maybe that might explain it since my timing isn't that fucked.

This is in walk-on. The thing with this is it has to be treated with kit gloves because Mike Wang is surely going to start changing shit to please the complainers. Usually a month or two in we're not going to be playing the same game at launch. I feel that the way the game is now is in a pretty good state, besides the hopeful tightening up of layups among other things. I hope nothing else is really altered, but we sure as hell know that is not going to be the case.

atr0cious

This is in walk-on. The thing with this is it has to be treated with kit gloves because Mike Wang is surely going to start changing shit to please the complainers. Usually a month or two in we're not going to be playing the same game at launch. I feel that the way the game is now is in a pretty good state, besides the hopeful tightening up of layups among other things. I hope nothing else is really altered, but we sure as hell know that is not going to be the case.
Does 2k have a history of changing up the game after launch?

The Ummah

Banned
Does 2k have a history of changing up the game after launch?

Oh yeah. For the past couple of titles, the game we get at launch isn't the same game we end up with four months later. They have promised to do less patching/changes this year. Lets hope they stick to it.

Gotta spend more time doing hot-fixes to stop VC farming.

cHinzo

Anyone else feel like alley oops are kinda weird this year? I'm throwing my oops to Lebron, but he misses a lot of them lol.

So does anyone know how to change after basket camera cuts and 2KTV loading in MyCareer?

This shit is so annoying, I've turned them off in regular settings but can't find out how to make those settings stick in MC, thas has been a problem since like 2K Fucking 14.

NHale

So in regards to the review 2K got in touch thus we at TSA have posted the following statement.

Update: In discussion with 2K Games, we’ve temporarily removed the score pending a statement with regard to our criticisms, at which point it will be reinstated. Additionally, a draft conclusion was posted that incorrectly characterised our score as a protest vote, and has been reworded to reflect that our criticisms are rooted in the effect that VC and microtransactions have on the gameplay.

I know this isn't your fault and most likely you would want your review to still has a score attached but it's quite funny that 2K Games managed to get the score SixthAxis gave "removed" but didn't ask the same for the other outlets that reviewed as well.

Why is the 3/10 the only score that should be removed why they are working on their statement or solving the issues. Other reviews also mentioned VC as a problem but they are still live and everyone here knows the answer to that riddle.

Just a shame that SixthAxis editor caved to a blackmail from Take Two/2K Sports, but I'm sure this isn't going to be enough to get a RDR2 review code. Might as well start finding a mom and pop shop that sells it early...

ViciousDS

Banned
So does anyone know how to change after basket camera cuts and 2KTV loading in MyCareer?

This shit is so annoying, I've turned them off in regular settings but can't find out how to make those settings stick in MC, thas has been a problem since like 2K Fucking 14.

Yes, when in the open world or whoever that's not a locker room/ game. You can go to the settings menu in NAV by Y/Triangle and then hitting down. Should be there under 2kTV while loading and their should be options for after basket cuts/ replays

Weilthain

Banned
Not even heard much about this game, is it good? In U.K. On eshop you have £54.99 -£84.99 then £119.19. Seems a little bit weird to me.

Add the insane price to the 5gb+ save files and I have to hope this is the best basketball game ever since live 96

Not even heard much about this game, is it good? In U.K. On eshop you have £54.99 -£84.99 then £119.19. Seems a little bit weird to me.

Add the insane price to the 5gb+ save files and I have to hope this is the best basketball game ever since live 96

The gameplay is good, I even enjoy the fact that everybody in the story mode is a total idiot.

Everything else sucks.

jtrov

Anyone on PS4 playing in the online park? Finally got a good face scan so I tried it for the first time, but it's become increasingly frustrating playing with randoms. Add in the fact that the grading system is so broken, I'm starting to realize you need at least one other player to get some type of basketball IQ going. The game does not understand defensive help, especially when a guy is left all alone under the basket. The game would rather me give up the layup than help force the ball back out. Was pretty fun on launch day, but seeing so many people rated 85+ is disheartening, mostly due to many paying to increase the overall. Wouldn't be bad if the game paired you up in a park with more guys closer to your overall, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Suck to finally get hooked on the online mode the year they went off the deep end with the VC. That and they ruined myGM with the story shit that forces certain situations in your team regardless of your choice (in season one)... just don't understand what they were thinking.

Should've jumped in on Live to get that pre-order discount. I enjoyed the hell out of playing it in EA access, but the Franchise mode was so broken, that it scared me off. Next time it goes on sale, I'm diving in.

If anyone is interested in joining up, my PSN is: jtrov

KaYotiX

Banned
Played a pro am game with friends.... Got kicked due to low player rating because I got hung up a few times on other players and for some reason u get punished hard for it. Yes I know how to play and about basketball. It's like 2k doesn't want people to play thier game with the VC shit and this BS.

Lost all my progress to badges and xp and VC. Even had decent stats. Dumb as fuck. Done with this game. I'll try out NBA Live.

Played a pro am game with friends.... Got kicked due to low player rating because I got hung up a few times on other players and for some reason u get punished hard for it. Yes I know how to play and about basketball. It's like 2k doesn't want people to play thier game with the VC shit and this BS.

Lost all my progress to badges and xp and VC. Even had decent stats. Dumb as fuck. Done with this game. I'll try out NBA Live.

Welcome to 2K, where body collision will destroy you and Brick Wall will completely shit on your life.

saltyramen

Hate to be that guy, but after playing both demos, I have to say NBA Live just... clicks. The dribbling, the inside slashing/drive game, the defensive cut-off minigame, it feels better. Add that on top of that of no microtransactions?

Much better product than 2K, to me.
dude nba live is a purely one on one game. there is no off ball movement whatsoever. i dont want the defensive cut off mini game lol that gets old. there is literally nothing there. the isomotion sucks. everything looks terrible to boot. the only thing they have over 2K is no microtransactions. you must be a casual NBA fan if you feel this way which is fine, buy LIVE. but it's not better nor does it feel better. too much jank

at least I can play games in nba live

we've been trying to join the same pro arena for over an hour, lmao

decided to do a walk on instead, and the game started with just us 5. we are playing a game against 5 AI. GG

BenjiGAF

I haven't played an NBA game before or since Street Volume 3.

But I've read some stuff that has me interested in this.

Is this a good one to jump in on? Did I miss out on anything by not going Day 1?

KaYotiX

Banned
The VC is ridiculous. I don't buy into the microtransaction slippery slope thing.... But this game would be the poster child for it.

I thought EA was bad but 2K stomps them into the ground with VC.

I didn't really believe it untill I bought 2k18.

The on court stuff is fantastic but it's the other 90 percent that's shit.

Wow this was so fast and blunt that I'm genuinely afraid to even ask why not.

Like I heard MT shit was kind of dire but does it interfere to THAT extreme a degree? Is that all?

If you want to play career mode or play online, yes it is totally ruled by VC. Having played it for a week, I can't recommend anybody spend $60 on this.

Why is it so hard to get into your team's pro am arena?

This is absolutely embarrassing

The on court product is better without a doubt

Everything else just went COMPLETELY BACKWARDS

m29a

Neo Member
Please don't buy this game

Why? You can't assume they're only interested in online. Maybe they'd be okay offline against the AI in myleague/quick play with the all time rosters/classic teams and whatnot. For that, it's totally worth it, gameplay is top notch.

BenjiGAF

I remember that when i played better in Vol3, I got more of the points that i could spend on upgrades or new clothes or a new custom shoe or whatever

So from what I gather here...

1: They took that system (which I'm sure is not unique to that particular game) and made it even more expensive to do anything and everything.

2: They added MT to it.

3: They apparently whip ads for paid bundles of Points at your face as you grind out games for 6 forevers.

Bonus: Reading that the only free/instantly available tattoo is the 2k Logo fucking killed me. "Here, mark your skin forever and be a walking advertisement until the day you die. Free of charge."

Devilry

Denzel

thankfully I farmed that vc glitch to 85 my player and style my player with 7k to spare, now I'mma just playout the rest if my career. If anyone wants tonplay park or pro am add me! PSN: ITSHiCLASYO 6' 3 2-way PG

Why? You can't assume they're only interested in online. Maybe they'd be okay offline against the AI in myleague/quick play with the all time rosters/classic teams and whatnot. For that, it's totally worth it, gameplay is top notch.

That poster hasn't played an NBA game in years, if they only want to play offline then they are better off buying 2K17 for cheap and going to Operation Sports to find some updated rosters.

I remember that when i played better in Vol3, I got more of the points that i could spend on upgrades or new clothes or a new custom shoe or whatever

So from what I gather here...

1: They took that system (which I'm sure is not unique to that particular game) and made it even more expensive to do anything and everything.

2: They added MT to it.

3: They apparently whip ads for paid bundles of Points at your face as you grind out games for 6 forevers.

Bonus: Reading that the only free/instantly available tattoo is the 2k Logo fucking killed me. "Here, mark your skin forever and be a walking advertisement until the day you die. Free of charge."

Devilry

When you make a player and spend VC to upgrade your various attributes, it doesn't actually tell you what you're buying. So the only way to know what you are upgrading your speed/dunks/blocks etc. to is to spend VC and then check afterwards. Of course, by that time it's too late because you have already spent the VC and you can't respec your character.

You get a shoe endorsement in game for which you get a pitiful amount of VC for wearing your sponsor's footwear in career and mypark games. OK, the payment might be nearly nothing but hey, free money right? No, you don't even get free sneakers as part of your endorsement deal so you have to go and spend VC on buying Nike/Adidas/Under Armor shoes to satisfy your sponsor. If you don't, your sponsor gets pissed off and voids your endorsement deal.

There's a bug that many people, myself included, have run into where you earn VC for games and then once you get back into the main hub area you find that you have somehow lost VC.

We can go on but you get the idea....

Blablurn

The gameplay is fantastic and the presentation is just phenomenal. I like NBA 2K18 a lot and I will definitely play more of it during the upcoming NBA season.

This is a story that needs to get blown up everywhere.

Microtransactions in $60 games are getting out of hand. They're trying to raise the bar in each of their attempts. There needs to be a line somewhere and this is one of them.

KaYotiX

Banned
Don't leave me :*(
I really only bought it for the myplayer stuff and the VC grind is way too much for me. If they gave more VC per game I'd prolly stick around but 15 hrs in and my guy is only a 67.

It's a great basketball game just muddled by terrible choices everywhere else. I'm glad I basically paid $32 for it.

I really only bought it for the myplayer stuff and the VC grind is way too much for me. If they gave more VC per game I'd prolly stick around but 15 hrs in and my guy is only a 67.

It's a great basketball game just muddled by terrible choices everywhere else. I'm glad I basically paid $32 for it.

As soon as someone teaches me how to play basketball I will make you a star and the VC will come rolling in :(

TheFunkyCactus

Neo Member
I don't know if it's just me but almost every single "good" shot clangs off the rim, regardless of how wide open. It is becoming frustrating. I don't know if it's something I am not understanding or if it's some kind of a bug. If a bug I hope this gets fixed soon because it's ruining my enjoyment of the game.

omg_mjd

Decided to just play offline only since they patched the VC trick and it's been a better experience since the only online feature I was remotely interested in was the MyCareer story and those are glitched on the Switch anyway.

No way I'd pay $60 for this on PS4 but I'm okay with biting the bullet for the Switch version. It's a great portable game.

Tubobutts

Man they really turned up the bullshit in domination. 64 points in the paint but somehow I was only fouled 3 times. The higher levels are going to be impossible without the free throw bonus points.

Posted in other thread regarding the review score from TheSixthAxis.

I can tell you now the original score will be reinstated, the site hasn't been blacklisted, and a statement will be released by TSA later.

Meccs

Has no one noticed that NBA 2K18 imports the face sides wrong? Never happened in other 2Ks but my left side is on the right in the game and vice versa. I know that because I have a small birth mark on one side. This is so annoying.

cHinzo

I don't know if it's just me but almost every single "good" shot clangs off the rim, regardless of how wide open. It is becoming frustrating. I don't know if it's something I am not understanding or if it's some kind of a bug. If a bug I hope this gets fixed soon because it's ruining my enjoyment of the game.

They forgot to put the word 'get' in front of the 'good' release, because that shit apparently never goes in. Even slightly early or late seems to be a more rewarding release this year, which is bullshit.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Can't stand playing MyCareer this year, seems like they doubled down on the cringeworthy storyline and cartoon characters, not to mention that the VC grind has gotten out of hand. Guess it's MyLeague and MyTeam for me until NBA Live goes on sale, The One mode seems like a far better experience without all the bullshit that 2K has introduced in all their recent games

Top Bottom