• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 |OT| 1,000 VC needed to enter thread.

Crazyorloco

My review is now live for NBA 2K18. Before I continue note I've been reviewing the series since 2K13.

TheSixthAxis - 3/10

The score is more of a protest against how bad the grind for VC has got, turning the series from a great basketball experience to a free to play model with a high entry price.

Good review. I do feel that the core gameplay is a 8 or a 9. It is fun. The VC ultimately effects my overall enjoyment of the game though. I don't want to feel that I have to pay (more) to enjoy this game. I think they should increase the amount of VC someone gets when you win a game. I'd even be happy if it was 1000 VC. It's sad to see what NBA 2k18 has become. I'm not sure if I'm returning next year.

atr0cious

You could just do the clothing glitch for now until you stack up VC to buy it.

1. Find the clothing you want to wear. This can be street shoes or any piece of street gear. This does not work for proam/nba league gear.

2. Add the gear you want to your cart

3.Go to your cart and click the right stick on the gear you want to wear. It says outside store but it's normally for just buying clothing. Make sure there is a green square next to the stuff you want. Now back out all the way by pressing circle or B(Xbox).

4. It gives you a warning saying you will lose whatever in your cart, say yes and exit the store.

5. Walk down to the 2k zone and in the right side of the store is the JDM headphone selling guy.

6. Do the same steps here. Cart, right click preview, green square and back out all the way.

7. Bam you got yourselves some gear and everyone can see it. It doesn't physically buy the gear, but you can still wear whatever you want and everyone can see it without paying any VC. It even stays equipped when you quit or reload the game just like you physically bought it.
Just want to quote this again incase anyone else needs it, had to dig through the thread to find it again. It works great.

Really appreciate all the damning reviews. Feels like this is the year with the most widespread outrage.

Hopefully their pockets also took a hit.

Okay. Now my player is fucking invisible. I purchased a forearm sleeve at Swag's, chose to immediately equip and now my player's invisible. Entered the wardrobe in MyCourt, still the same. Restarted game AND PS4, still the same. Can't play like this on Playground, it feel really weird to control a fucking circle as you can't see your fucking selve and your animations.

Wtf is this shit?!

Edit: unequiping all clothing did the trick. Watchout if you already have a clothing item/accessory equipped and you're buying/equipping a new one of the same kind, your player may disappear that way.

Please QA your fucking game next time 2K, thanks!

cHinzo

Okay. Now my player is fucking invisible. I purchased a forearm sleeve at Swag's, chose to immediately equip and now my player's invisible. Entered the wardrobe in MyCourt, still the same. Restarted game AND PS4, still the same. Can't play like this on Playground, it feel really weird to control a fucking circle as you can't see your fucking selve and your animations.

Wtf is this shit?!

Edit: unequiping all clothing did the trick. Watchout if you already have a clothing item/accessory equipped and you're buying/equipping a new one of the same kind, your player may disappear that way.

Please QA your fucking game next time 2K, thanks!

Lol, u could have trolled some people on the playground! Wasted opportunity. :d

Do we know if hot zones in your MyCareer affect your hot zones online?

It will be fucking stupid if this is the case again...

Also I need to know if this is truly the case

If you're running walk on with 5, do you really have to always reinvite everybody back to your neighborhood and squad up and stand in front of the entrance at the same time?

It takes like 5-10 minutes just to get into a match again

Shari

My review is now live for NBA 2K18. Before I continue note I've been reviewing the series since 2K13.

TheSixthAxis - 3/10

The score is more of a protest against how bad the grind for VC has got, turning the series from a great basketball experience to a free to play model with a high entry price.

I'm glad about this. Hopefully more outlets follow the trend and we can raise some alarms @ 2K.

Good review. I do feel that the core gameplay is a 8 or a 9. It is fun. The VC ultimately effects my overall enjoyment of the game though. I don't want to feel that I have to pay (more) to enjoy this game. I think they should increase the amount of VC someone gets when you win a game. I'd even be happy if it was 1000 VC. It's sad to see what NBA 2k18 has become. I'm not sure if I'm returning next year.

So in regards to the review 2K got in touch thus we at TSA have posted the following statement.

Update: In discussion with 2K Games, we’ve temporarily removed the score pending a statement with regard to our criticisms, at which point it will be reinstated. Additionally, a draft conclusion was posted that incorrectly characterised our score as a protest vote, and has been reworded to reflect that our criticisms are rooted in the effect that VC and microtransactions have on the gameplay.

Shari

So in regards to the review 2K got in touch thus we at TSA have posted the following statement.

Update: In discussion with 2K Games, we’ve temporarily removed the score pending a statement with regard to our criticisms, at which point it will be reinstated. Additionally, a draft conclusion was posted that incorrectly characterised our score as a protest vote, and has been reworded to reflect that our criticisms are rooted in the effect that VC and microtransactions have on the gameplay.

This is very interesting, thanks for the heads up.

Do we take from this that 2K are thinking twice about VC and a change is to be expected soon?

If you guys agreed to hold the score until a "statement" from 2K arrives?

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Who here would be interested in being part of an online league?

Preferably...a full 30 man league?

I've got about 10 folks right now, and that's including nobody here.

Pretty please?

FOR PS4

Re-Quoting for those who might've missed it and are interested in joining our league.

What does "2k got in touch" really mean?

They threatened you guys?

Ensoul

My Park is lagging so bad. Is anybody else having this problem? I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my game.

So they're going after criticism of their dirty practices first, before leaving a statement or actually making changes to the whole Vc thing? Priorities in check. I wouldn't have removed the review score unless they changed things or at least comment about it. But I'm not sure how your whole convo went of course.

Crazyorloco

Thanks I was about to search for this

Also Switch version of NBA 2K 18 is the number one selling game on the eShop

Damn that's good, I also noticed 9 out of the top 10 games on the best sellers are - third party. I think we're going to see a lot of third parties jump to the switch soon.

Crazyorloco

Wow. Very interesting. I wonder if other critics/reviewers have received similar messages from 2K. There's a huge disparity in the ratings among Critics and Users on metacritic. I see the backlash from players, but the critics seem okay with how things are.

Which is disappointing because if they do not address the VC issues/glitches (and have their scores impacted by it) then they are encouraging 2K to continue what they're doing. I understand it's a business, but customers are being negatively affected by it all. Makes me think; are the reviews for the customers or just for advertising the game?

Edit* my apologies for the double post.

Lol, u could have trolled some people on the playground! Wasted opportunity. :d
I tried for one game, but I was losing the ball and making turn overs like crazy as I was constantly running into the other players. I was also unsure if the others could see me or not. Haven't run into invisible players myself yet. Also hard to predict movement without seeing your body. Would love to play Rocket League invisibly though ;)

JWiLL

Banned
I'm not in direct contact with their PR department. Going through the site editor instead. Obviously ruffled quite a few feathers.

Hilarious.

So basically: "You can complain about our shitty microtransaction practices, but don't fuck with our Metacritic score...we need that to stay high so we can keep up our shitty microtransaction practices next year."

This sounds like some mafia shit.

This all depends on what 2K does next. The ball is in their court.
They should either change their practices or give everyone a lot of free VC and slash virtual prices across the board. If not, well I hope people won't forget this clusterfuck when 2K19 hits.

I'm really hoping EA is taking notice of all this and are working on improving their offerings. Should make it easier to make the switch next year.

hyp

They should either change their practices or give everyone a lot of free VC and slash virtual prices across the board. If not, well I hope people won't forget this clusterfuck when 2K19 hits.

I'm really hoping EA is taking notice of all this and are working on improving their offerings. Should make it easier to make the switch next year.

serious. i'll jump to NBA Live if they can improve on their formula next year and if 2K doesn't make any changes to the way they do business.

they took away the easiest, free way to make VC in the game before fixing any of the major issues players are experiencing in the game. what the fuck.

Shari

This was my first Nba2K bought day 1 but I won't hesitate to drop it. Anyway it feels smarter to me to drop another 30 bucks on NBA Live than dropping the same amount of money on upgrading my char on 2K.

But to be honest this is either way my last Nba2K bought on preorder, them fixing the VC coins "bug" in two days while many other issues persist and servers struggle is just too much.

First 2K I've bough since 2K12 and as good as the game is I will not return next year because of the VC bullshit. The easiest way to obtain VC is to play horrible in the NBA games so you don't get much playtime to get the 500VC. My character is a starter now and playing 12 minutes or more a game so VC is coming in slower.

Michaelsens

Neo Member
Do we know if hot zones in your MyCareer affect your hot zones online?

It will be fucking stupid if this is the case again...

I am afraid they are applied online, yes. I have only checked at the pro am gym shootaround, but I guess it is the same in an actual game.

mauaus

I got the DLC code unused for the Switch version, i believe its 5000 VC, got a refund for the game and never looked back.

First quote gets it!

Meccs

I've been playing since 2K13 and they have crossed a line for me this year. I even used the VC glitch for the first time this year to get 80k VC and I don't even feel ashamed.

ViciousDS

Banned
My Park is lagging so bad. Is anybody else having this problem? I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my game.

its actually unplayable on a really good wireless connection. I have played wirelessly with my nighthawk for years......absolutely no issues until 2K.

I'm done man....this game is not worth playing MyCareer this year.....god it pisses me off. I'll be making an OT for Live tonight, and I'll be playing the Career mode there while do the franchise modes in 2k.....seems to be the only way to enjoy all that is basketball this year.

Hoping for the open world thing to die next year too......its made the servers and lag even worse despite not having as many disconnects this year. But instead of disconnects, I have had my game freeze, lockup, actually kill the video feed to my TV saying signal not found and more......NEVER has a 2K game been as buggy as hell as 2K18.

God its so infuriating and off putting.

ViciousDS

Banned
For someone who just wants to play as the NBA teams either v cpu or humans, is 2K or Live better for me this year?

Heres a summary of what game to buy

Play Now - 2K
Franchise modes - 2K
Atmosphere - Personally I think Live
Personal Career/Park/Pro Am - Live

GamePlay - 2K
Consumer Friendly - Live

You are going to want 2K

Harp

Sorry to be this guy. But my experience has been super smooth. Knock on wood. For VC, it sucks that you have to suck at first but I get about 800 vc per game so its working out fine for me

Crazyorloco

I've been playing my career only offline since day one (no lag, no cutscenes, no problem)....Finally decided to play my career online on the switch. I want to see how the story is....well....

WHAT THE HELL. It seems the cut scenes are in slowmotion and the audio is running as normal. So there are OFTEN moments where i'm just looking at the characters staring deeply at each others eyes not saying anything to each other for minutes.

Did they even play this mycareer online on the switch? Because this happens every. single. time I play.

FX-GMC

I've been playing my career only offline since day one....Finally decided to play my career online on the switch. I want to see how the story is....well....

WHAT THE HELL. It seems the cut scenes are in slowmotion and the audio is running as normal. So there are OFTEN moments where i'm just looking at the characters staring deeply at each others eyes not saying anything to each other for minutes.

Did they even play this mycareer online on the switch? Because this happens every. single. time I play.

The cut scene audio/video almost sync up for me in Docked mode but yeah, in portable mode the cut scenes are messy.

atr0cious

I've been playing my career only offline since day one....Finally decided to play my career online on the switch. I want to see how the story is....well....

If you play docked, it only really affects the end of the cutscene, but undocked is really bad.

ViciousDS

Banned
Sorry to be this guy. But my experience has been super smooth. Knock on wood. For VC, it sucks that you have to suck at first but I get about 800 vc per game so its working out fine for me

LOL

only 250 games or 3 seasons till you are barely better than a rookie

WOO!!!!!!

Thank heavens we have all time teams and MyLeague......otherwise I would be requesting a digital refund from Microsoft

Interesting quote btw from the reviewer Jonty from TheSixthAxis
Hello. Reviewer here. After review went live I've had no direct contact with 2K, instead their PR is chatting with my editor. All I know is that 2K are to issue a statement of some sort regarding issues raised in the review. Of course the real issue is what updates the 2K18's VC system gets.

Just think of this as a review now in progress. If things remain unchanged so will my opinion.

Lets see what they do to fix our complaints. Might as well hold off boys, we might have a much more enjoyable time in the near future

So I just saw on a YouTube video that 2K slows down your progress if you play too much of one mode (ProAm or Park). That's pretty shitty.

Also, saw there was a glitch where you could do 1 min qtrs in MyCareer. I think it's patched now.

Man, I can't sink a goddamn thing despite having 90+ for mid-range shooting. I'm going to have a whole bunch of cold zones and be completely useless.

Just let us play on rookie ffs

Top Bottom