• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 $100 PRICE DROP shown in Circuit City Ad

iammeiam

gofreak said:
Also worth considering for those who've said they may wait for the Fall. That blu-ray deal is a summer deal only, AFAIK

I just pulled up the form to see what movies they were giving out, and the purchase has to be by 9/30, hopefully some of the bigger games will be out by then.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
iammeiam said:
I just pulled up the form to see what movies they were giving out, and the purchase has to be by 9/30, hopefully some of the bigger games will be out by then.

The selection of movies isn't exactly stellar, either. Can you get five copies of Blazing Saddles? :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
iammeiam said:

That's pretty decent then. Lair, HS and Warhawk amongst others are all out back to back around that time and you'd be on the cusp of the Oct/Nov madness, Home etc., so it would indeed be a pretty good time to buy.

sypher said:
You know, why wouldnt Sony reintroduce the 20GB for $399 just to say ME TOO?
Well the entire reason they stopped making 20 gig SKUs is because they were losing too much money with it. Having 20 gig vs 60 gig hard drives drops the manufacturing cost down by very little, at the cost of $100 less they get per sale. The hit to their bottome line was too big.

I doubt they could afford the 20 GB model at $399. They would lose too much money per unit sold.

BTW, the promo for the 5 free BD movies is a promo for ALL BD players being sold, not just PS3. I believe the promo has been going on for about a month now and is set to end in 3 weeks or so, so if you want the deal, buy your PS3 before July is over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iapetus said:
The selection of movies isn't exactly stellar, either. Can you get five copies of Blazing Saddles? :D

its not bad for a freebie offer. I've seen worse.

I reckon you'd get close to $100 selling them on if you pick carefully.

Obviously this price drop isn't going to change the fact that PS3 is, in effect, a dying games console (you'd need *at least* a $250 drop to really make it a competitor to the slice of the mass-market Wii is devouring), but it could provide a decent boost to the system's primary function - That of a Blu-Ray player. I can see a fair few AV fanatics opting for this now, and as time has passed it's become undeniably clear that Sony always intended this a BR player first and a games console an incredibly distant second.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheDrowningMan said:
Obviously this price drop isn't going to change the fact that PS3 is, in effect, a dying games console

:lol Whether PS3 sells 20m or 100m units, it isn't going anywhere. How anyone can say that given precedent with consoles that have carved sustainable markets without the sales of previous playstations, or can say that given the content that's hitting the system, is beyond me.

I suppose this is one of those comments I'm meant to ignore, as per mod advice in the 'group think' thread..

iammeiam

Maxwell House said:
BTW, the promo for the 5 free BD movies is a promo for ALL BD players being sold, not just PS3. I believe the promo has been going on for about a month now and is set to end in 3 weeks or so, so if you want the deal, buy your PS3 before July is over.

No, the promo is valid for purchases between 7/1/07 and 9/30/07, so there's definitely no rush. Although, those planning to eBay the selections to make some money back may want to hurry--the majority of the list has "Future Bargain Bin Title" plastered all over it. Which, admittedly, makes choosing easier.

gofreak said:
:lol Whether PS3 sells 20m or 100m units, it isn't going anywhere. How anyone can say that given precedent with consoles that have carved sustainable markets without the sales of previous playstations, or can say that given the content that's hitting the system, is beyond me.

I suppose this is one of those comments I'm meant to ignore, as per mod advice in the 'group think' thread..

Okay, "dying" was a bit strong. But it isn't going to change the fact that it's going to be more GameCube than PS2. It'll have its niche, but that's not really what anyone expected, is it? Sony putting Blu-Ray ahead of console was a very large error in my book.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheDrowningMan said:
Okay, "dying" was a bit strong. But it isn't going to change the fact that it's going to be more GameCube than PS2.

Sales wise, I haven't a clue. Platform/content wise, I really don't think so (and don't get me wrong, I liked my gamecube).

titiklabingapat said:
It's Nintendo's turn to give us some sort of announcement when it comes to value. $200 Wii? Free Wii branded HDD for everyone?

I want money, Nintendo :(

Nintendo doesn't need any price cut. You understand it by yourself.

Top Bottom